2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
65 members (BachToTheFuture, Amy H, danielp11, blueviewlaguna., CyberGene, briangmoore, 20 invisible), 492 guests, and 470 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Teaching Lessons Online
#2604168 01/13/17 06:21 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Has anyone here done it? What are the main differences you take into consideration and how do you approach it?

~piano teacher in training~
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Teaching Lessons Online
hello my name is #2604353 01/14/17 01:51 PM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I will answer this from a student perspective. I take lessons via Skype, and I love it. For me, living in a country where I do not speak the language well yet, it has opened a much broader choice of teachers than I otherwise would have had. I take lessons from a teacher in a conservatory in another country.

In order to do it well, you need a good microphone to connect to your computer on the teacher's and the students side, so that the nuances of the playing can be heard. You also need a good (fast) internet connection.

Advantages: The teacher can see position of the hands as well as posture. She can hear how the student plays. The student can record the lesson to refer back to. Both the teacher and the student can work from home.

Disadvantages: There is not "hands on" correction. The teacher can demonstrate, but she cannot touch the student. The student only plays their own piano, so they may or may not get to experience the feel of other pianos. In my case that has not been a problem, because I am always looking for a piano waiting to be played!

I am totally sold on Skype lessons for my situation.

SwissMS #2604805 01/15/17 09:18 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SwissMS
In order to do it well, you need a good microphone to connect to your computer on the teacher's and the students side, so that the nuances of the playing can be heard. You also need a good (fast) internet connection.

I'd like to ask how long you have been doing this, and if over more than a year, if anything has changed in the last few months? There has been a drastic change at our end since about four months. Ambient noise from the other person's room, such as whirring fans, has disappeared, but in its place, the sound of music itself gets "erased" along with the ambient sounds. Specifically, if you sustain a note or even hum a note for a few seconds, that note cuts off abruptly as if staccato.

We do not limit ourselves to Skype. I create sound recordings and video recordings where there will be no distortions, for my teacher to hear. Working remotely as opposed to in the studio can also include written messages and homework shared through a file sharing system such as Dropbox, or simply sent back and forth through e-mail.

keystring #2604822 01/15/17 10:59 PM
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by keystring

There has been a drastic change at our end since about four months. Ambient noise from the other person's room, such as whirring fans, has disappeared, but in its place, the sound of music itself gets "erased" along with the ambient sounds. Specifically, if you sustain a note or even hum a note for a few seconds, that note cuts off abruptly as if staccato.

Hi Keystring, It may be worth asking your teacher if, in Skype audio settings, the 'Automatically adjust microphone settings' box is checked. It should be unchecked in order to avoid the problem you are having. The same applies to 'Automatically adjust speaker settings'. It is best if both parties do this.

Rob
R0B #2604823 01/15/17 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by R0B
Hi Keystring, It may be worth asking your teacher if, in Skype audio settings, the 'Automatically adjust microphone settings' box is checked.

We turned off anything automatic at both ends. I might check again in case anything was missed. So you're not encountering this, I take it? Are you using Win10? This was also a new thing, but when I upgraded to a new computer and Win10 first, nothing changed, which is why I thought Skype had fiddled with their system later on.

hello my name is #2604830 01/15/17 11:29 PM
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I am not experiencing that problem.
I am on Win 10 with Skype version 7.31.0.104

Has your teacher got a new mic, which may be voice activated?

Rob
R0B #2604923 01/16/17 09:53 AM
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I have not been taking Skype lessons very long, but I have not had any problem with ambient noise. I have been surprised that the sound is pretty clean.

hello my name is #2604925 01/16/17 10:11 AM
M
M
I teach via Skype, but I don't do a lot of it. Most of the time it's students that I get to see in person most of the year, and it's just over the summer when I'm out of town. But I do have some exclusive Skype students.

The challenges as a teacher (apart from technical issues that can arise on either end):

- You can't write things in the student's score
- You can't hand them a book to sightread from
- You can't hand them any books, exercises, theory work, or sheet music
- You can't so any hands-on work
- Sometimes dynamics are compressed, which means you hear less distinction between forte and piano
- Due to any technical problems that can arise (a lag bubble, Skype or Windows updates, someone else in your area using a large amount of bandwidth that decreases the amount available to you), you will want to schedule in an extra 15 minutes before and/or after lessons just so you don't fall behind. Every once in a while, it's been so bad that we've had to reschedule lessons for another day and time.

But the benefits to be able to teach on Skype are obvious, and there are many who appreciate this as an option.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
hello my name is #2605093 01/16/17 06:52 PM
I
I
I did Skype sessions about 1 time per month for about 14 months. We were a tiny harmony study group, following Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony. One of us lives in the general Seattle WA area, but someplace rural. She would often go to a place with good internet for our sessions (rather than her home). I live in Orlando FL and the leader lives in Leicester UK.

The big issue was latency. One of us would often play a 4 part harmony exercise of maybe 12-15 chords. That's when latency sometimes would garble the sound. I seemed to me that one time when we by chance arpeggiated the 4 note chords, the latency wasn't as bad. But, we were scattered with big distances between us. I think it's just wonderfully amazing that this resource is available, and for free.

I don't know how it would go playing pieces with faster melodic lines.

indigo_dave #2605167 01/16/17 11:17 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by indigo_dave
I did Skype sessions about 1 time per month for about 14 months. We were a tiny harmony study group, following Schoenberg's Theory of Harmony. One of us lives in the general Seattle WA area, but someplace rural. She would often go to a place with good internet for our sessions (rather than her home). I live in Orlando FL and the leader lives in Leicester UK.

The big issue was latency. One of us would often play a 4 part harmony exercise of maybe 12-15 chords. That's when latency sometimes would garble the sound. I seemed to me that one time when we by chance arpeggiated the 4 note chords, the latency wasn't as bad. But, we were scattered with big distances between us. I think it's just wonderfully amazing that this resource is available, and for free.

I don't know how it would go playing pieces with faster melodic lines.

Wow, Seattle to FL to UK...ya, no doubt there would be more lag. Usually there isn't any or if so, it's no more than you experience when talking on your cell phone. But physical distance and having 3 people on the same call would definitely make things a bit slower.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
hello my name is #2605169 01/16/17 11:19 PM
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
One of the best things that I did to make Skype lessons more productive, and personal, was to add a couple of extra cameras, and use software to instantly switch between them with a simple keystroke.

My favourite camera is mounted on an adjustable arm, placed to fully view an A4 sheet.
I can quickly place any sheet of paper there, and point to it, or write on it, and the student views it full screen in real time.

Other materials can easily be sent via email, ahead of the lesson.

Rob
hello my name is #2605199 01/17/17 02:34 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
So the lesson went overall pretty well, but I found it funny when I wanted to reach across and point something out to him, and I couldn't! So frustrating. Luckily, we can go by measure numbers.

~piano teacher in training~
hello my name is #2605211 01/17/17 04:19 AM
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Ahh! that's where that second camera is worth it's weight in gold :-)
Pleased to hear all went well :-)

Rob
R0B #2605246 01/17/17 08:16 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by R0B
One of the best things that I did to make Skype lessons more productive, and personal, was to add a couple of extra cameras, and use software to instantly switch between them with a simple keystroke.

My favourite camera is mounted on an adjustable arm, placed to fully view an A4 sheet.
I can quickly place any sheet of paper there, and point to it, or write on it, and the student views it full screen in real time.

Other materials can easily be sent via email, ahead of the lesson.

This really intrigues me. Are you in a PC or Mac? I use a Macbook and not quite sure how to set up an extra camera (I have a couple I could use). Would you be able to show a picture of your setup by any chance?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
hello my name is #2605256 01/17/17 09:15 AM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
My lessons are on Skype. I use a Win 10 laptop. I have hardly ever experienced any connection issues. One time the picture quality of my teacher got degraded with pixellation, but I could still hear him perfectly, and he could see and hear me.

I didn't go with an external microphone. I asked him about it and he said he could hear sufficiently with the built in laptop one, the extra quality would not be worth the hassle. That might be different depending on how you teach.

The convenience of doing this in my own house is really nice. I do put the dog in the basement as she is otherwise liable to vigorously defend the yard against cats, mailmen, birds, and maybe ghosts, sometimes there seems to be nothing worth that level of barking.

gotta go practice
hello my name is #2605324 01/17/17 01:21 PM
Just a tip: this camera, the Q2n, is pretty great for this kind of application. (I have no connections with the Zoom company): https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/handy-video-recorder/q2n-handy-video-recorder. I bought it 2 weeks ago for recording myself (checking technique, musicality etc.) as it has a wide angle so that it's easy to show the whole keyboard from the side, and works even in very dark environments. Needless to say the sound is very good too.

It also comes with a driver so that it can be used as a Webcam (both PC and OSX) and thus in Skype. Also, doesn't break the bank. Mind you, I haven't tested the webcam function yet, and I assume the quality of both sound and video needs to be scaled down for/by Skype, depending on the broadband speed. The connection is via USB, so on a Mac you'd need a small USB to Lightning adapter.

hello my name is #2605346 01/17/17 02:10 PM
I'm really mystified why we're the only ones experiencing this problem. I did a test with my adult son, who is set up in his room. My sound came to him loud and clear, and his voice came through excellently (he has a ball microphone for a different use as he is not involved in music). Then he turned on some music in his room, and there was instant silence at my end. It's like the music gets "filtered" as ambient noise. It used to be that I'd hear a whirring fan in my teacher's studio. Now there is no whirring fan, but before we start to talk it will sound like somebody is moving heavy furniture upstairs - that noise stops when talking starts.

I would have thought if Skype had become wonky around Nov./Dec. due to some changes at Skype's end, others here would have encountered it, but it seems nobody has. I've turned off everything automatic that can be turned off. Anything music needs to be critiqued via recorded sound files or videos at this stage.

keystring #2605373 01/17/17 03:35 PM
M
M
I'm really mystified why we're the only ones experiencing this problem. I did a test with my adult son, who is set up in his room. My sound came to him loud and clear, and his voice came through excellently (he has a ball microphone for a different use as he is not involved in music). Then he turned on some music in his room, and there was instant silence at my end. It's like the music gets "filtered" as ambient noise. It used to be that I'd hear a whirring fan in my teacher's studio. Now there is no whirring fan, but before we start to talk it will sound like somebody is moving heavy furniture upstairs - that noise stops when talking starts.

I would have thought if Skype had become wonky around Nov./Dec. due to some changes at Skype's end, others here would have encountered it, but it seems nobody has. I've turned off everything automatic that can be turned off. Anything music needs to be critiqued via recorded sound files or videos at this stage.

I know it used to work for you right? So what changed?

Have you tried having lessons with headphones on? That way the sound from your speakers aren't overpowering the microphone.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2605377 01/17/17 03:51 PM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Morodiene

I know it used to work for you right? So what changed?

Have you tried having lessons with headphones on? That way the sound from your speakers aren't overpowering the microphone.

It really sounds like a voice activated microphone syndrome to me. Is there a place in settings where you can set full vs half duplex?

gotta go practice
hello my name is #2605442 01/17/17 07:26 PM
I
I
I don't have technical knowledge, just some experiences. Thinking back I remember only one of could speak at a time. If you tried to interject something in someone else's whatever they were saying, only one side was activated at a time.

And one thought about music getting filtered. Might it have something to do with the limited frequency range of the voice vs. the frequency ranges the music has? Just thinking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Is hitting all 127 midi values a necessity?
by Harpuia - 08/15/20 02:54 PM
Chopin’s Pleyel dimension specs demo
by Coda9 - 08/15/20 02:21 PM
Piano-Car Comparison
by Soojin - 08/15/20 11:52 AM
A small window into the soul of Thelonious
by Nahum - 08/15/20 11:51 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,942
Posts2,992,212
Members98,162
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission