Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
98 registered members (ALEXANDER DYKER, Alex C, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, butchkoch, Angelos58, ahinton, Beowulf, 16 invisible), 1,194 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? #2603098
01/11/17 02:49 AM
01/11/17 02:49 AM
Tacoma, WA
A
agent8698 Offline OP
agent8698  Offline OP
A

Tacoma, WA
Watch Martha Argerich play the Scarlatti Sonata d-minor K.141:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjghYFgt8Zk

That's what I mean by fast, repeated notes.

I have watched hundreds of youtube videos in recent weeks, looking for any examples of a digital piano that can do that (or rather, that will allow that, assuming the performer can keep up).

I was amazed to find nothing. The closest I found was this Japanese pianist playing Hungarian Rhapsody #2 on a Roland V-Piano Grand: he seems to be running into the limitations of the action in the Friska section:
https://youtu.be/w0-dC7eT_Oo?t=6m34s

I'm a self-taught amateur who has been playing (mostly classical-oriented improvisation) on a semi-weighted Yamaha YPG-525 for the last 5 years or so. Of course, that action is lighter than a "fully weighted" action. I want to upgrade to a better digital piano action. Everybody seems to praise the Kawai MP11 and VPC1, but I spent an hour with an MP11, and I found the action to be very good, except for the ability under discussion.

Question: in the $1K to $3K range, are there any digital pianos (with weighted actions) that are good for fast, repeated notes?

The reason I care about fast, clean, and controllable repeated notes is because it is a way of estimating whether an action is able to handle other things like fast trills and fast ornaments, and not just with strong fingers in ideal conditions, but with weak fingers and in awkward conditions.

I also tried the Roland RD-800: that seemed to allow for slightly faster repetition than Kawai MP11 (I think), but it still felt like there's room for improvement (yes, my technique also has room for improvement). I wonder about the Roland PHA-50 action, for example, in the Roland FP-90 (I have not yet played an FP-90).

I also wonder about the Nord Piano 3: PianoManChuck praises its action as "very cool", but does not address the issue under discussion (nor does anybody else on youtube).

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603114
01/11/17 03:30 AM
01/11/17 03:30 AM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Offline
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California

Try going to a Guitar Center or Sam Ash store. The ones here have floor samples of pretty much everything in that $1K - $3K range.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603129
01/11/17 04:02 AM
01/11/17 04:02 AM
J
jwmp Offline
jwmp  Offline
J

I think why DP's are limited in this area is because they use samples.

Roland however dont, they use moddeling technology instead of samples.

As I play classical music I am put off investing in a sample based digital piano.

Last edited by jwmp; 01/11/17 04:08 AM.
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603138
01/11/17 04:39 AM
01/11/17 04:39 AM
the Netherlands
Goss Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Goss  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

the Netherlands
The speed of the action is determined by its mechanics jwmp - Our PHA-50 equipped Roland feels pretty fast.
Have not heard any complaints either about Kawai's Grand Feel II so I would put those on your short list for the visit to try some more out. CA series has the Grand Feel II action,as well as the MP11 for one.
Roland's HP and LX series as well as the DP603 and the FP90 have the PHA-50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKBMUbt5cE
our dear PIanomanChuck might not expressly mention trills but he mentions blindfolding him behind a real grand and his beloved MP11 and not being able to practically tell anything negative about it ^^

Last edited by Goss; 01/11/17 04:39 AM.

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
(ad) SWEETWATER
Easy Monthly Payments on Keyboards and Synthesizers
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603143
01/11/17 05:21 AM
01/11/17 05:21 AM
Portugal
T
toddy Offline
3000 Post Club Member
toddy  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
T

Portugal
For fast repeats of the same note - the tremolo - is possible to do only on an acoustic grand with double escapement (invented mid 19th century). It isn't possible on an upright acoustic, as far as I'm aware.

It is a very difficult and relatively rare effect compared with some other decorations such as the trill or the turn. Liszt and Ravel's virtuoso pieces sometimes call for it. See 1:15 here
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vykux_ms-P4
On digital pianos, three sensor designs aim to copy the mechanism of double escapement, albeit by totally different means. Over the last 5 years, most mid and high range pianos from Roland Yamaha Casio and Kawai have three sensor keys - but you should check in the specifications when you try or buy.

EDIT! I've just seen your video in the first post. Scarlatti! So the effect is much older than I had thought. But of course this was not possible on piano until relatively recently (hence it appears mostly in 20th century piano music) But the Scarlatti played in the clip above was not written for piano but harpsichord or clavichord. None of the music written in between (all classical and most romantic) contains such tremelo effects.....As far as I'm aware...

Last edited by toddy; 01/11/17 06:14 AM.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603184
01/11/17 08:57 AM
01/11/17 08:57 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Good! I thought it was just me (though it could still be just me). My teacher had me practicing 16th and 32nd note trills and I just couldn't get the same responsiveness from the digital I use. It's still easier to do them on acoustic uprights and the responsiveness is excellent on the Steinway Grands at school.

I do manage decent trills and tremolos on my Roland FP-30, but single-note "3-peat" repetitions are a bear to do - even with the 3rd sensor. The repeat / reset rate of the keys isn't "solid-fast" enough, so it never feels like I have the same control that I do on the acoustics.

Don't get me wrong, I love the FP-30 and use it everyday, but this is definitely one of those issues that is making me look "up-market". I've heard the PHA-50 in the FP-90 is more sensitive, and I'd also be curious to try out some the Kawai's like the VPC1.

But it is a good question, do any of the US$1-3K keyboards have similar responsiveness and control for fast-repeated notes like what's possible on a Grand piano?

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603202
01/11/17 10:01 AM
01/11/17 10:01 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Like any instrument, acoustic or otherwise, you have to work within the limitations of it. If you can play repetitions like Argerich, that is truly amazing and deserving of a Steinway concert grand that has been regulated to your personal needs. smile

I, sadly, cannot attempt repetitions that quickly with one hand. However, I could get close to that on my MP11 using two hands. So that does tell me that the GF action is capable - as I am sure many other actions mentioned in this thread are - and it's only my technical limitations that I'm running up against. I had mine set to the Normal touch curve setting, but could also achieve good separation on Light.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603206
01/11/17 10:19 AM
01/11/17 10:19 AM
J
jwmp Offline
jwmp  Offline
J

There's a limit to how far you can go on a sampled digital.

The problem starts when fff sounds like ff.

No good for an experienced pianist.

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: jwmp] #2603213
01/11/17 10:39 AM
01/11/17 10:39 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Morodiene  Offline

Boynton Beach, FL
Originally Posted by jwmp

The problem starts when fff sounds like ff.

No good for an experienced pianist.

This post is specifically about repetitions, which are not necessarily related to dynamics. Not sure why you are bringing up dynamics, and I'm not sure that is the case for all sampled instruments (including software).

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603222
01/11/17 10:55 AM
01/11/17 10:55 AM
J
jwmp Offline
jwmp  Offline
J

OP ought to try out the new Roland HP and LX series. fully moddeled.

Last edited by jwmp; 01/11/17 10:56 AM.
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603227
01/11/17 11:04 AM
01/11/17 11:04 AM
Milano
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

Milano
Are you sure it's a sensor limitation and not some other limitation in the digital piano?

You can check using something like the free MIDIOX program to see exactly what MIDI data the sensors are reporting.

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603251
01/11/17 12:06 PM
01/11/17 12:06 PM
United Kingdom
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
mwf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

United Kingdom
I have a yamaha cp4, the key repetition on that is the best I have ever experienced on a digital piano, it allows extremely rapid note repetition, faster than the clp585 they do, and much better than any roland I have played on, they cant actually perform rapid note repetitions properly I must add, the keyboard stumbles when you try properly, I have a roland rd800 and its not very good, for example I play Kapustin's concert etude no.3 on both keyboards and the cp4 allows effortless key repetition, which is crucial for this piece, the roland cant keep up with the demand and it does not play all notes.

Last edited by mwf; 01/11/17 12:07 PM.
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603255
01/11/17 12:08 PM
01/11/17 12:08 PM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
The new Casio GP300/500 action is extremely fast. There was a video posted here that showed it being hit with a mechanical hammer and it was able to do something crazy like 20 notes per second. I'm sure Martha Argerich could get her Scarlatti done on that - but it helps a lot if you are Martha Argerich!

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603264
01/11/17 12:20 PM
01/11/17 12:20 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

One thing worth noting--whether the design is triple- or double-sensor the rate of repetition will mainly depend on how high you must lift the key before depressing it again.

Three-sensor setups generally work by inserting a middle sensor between the top (key up) and bottom (key down) sensors, so that you can partially lift a depressed key, and press it down again without first letting it rise completely. The relative position of third sensor between the other two controls how far you must lift the key before depressing again.

For me, this is highlighted on the Kawai's Grand Feel 1 action--there's a letoff simulation about halfway down the travel, but the third sensor isn't aligned perfectly with the letoff, it's actually a tad higher. This means two things:

1. You can't reliably press the key to the resistance point of the letoff, pause, and then fully depress the key to produce a sound like you can on a AP (for me, it works for about 1 in 5 keys), unless you change a setting to make key-down always produce a note.

2. Even though it is triple sensor, you have to let the key raise a fraction of a millimeter higher than you might expect before depressing it in order to get note to sound. You can still absolutely play VERY fast repeated notes, you just have to adjust your playing to account for that tiny bit of extra travel needed.

One of the changes Kawai made with Grand Feel 2 was to allow more reliable note generation at the point of letoff, which depending on how they implemented it, might mean that repetitions can happen at a lower key position than with GF1.

But almost all modern DPs should be able to generate tones faster than a human can realistically play, the question is how well they handle the "shortcut" we meatbags have developed with partial-key-releases allowed by double-escapement.

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50 || Kawai NV-10, MP11
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: Morodiene] #2603265
01/11/17 12:23 PM
01/11/17 12:23 PM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Morodiene
I could get close to that on my MP11 using two hands. So that does tell me that the GF action is capable ... I had mine set to the Normal touch curve setting, but could also achieve good separation on Light.

I tried your two-handed single-repeating note on my FP-30, it was tricky, but once I hit the sweet spot, I was able to get a very fast repeat with a good separation between the notes - and I can see/feel clearly where the 3rd sensor kicks in.

So like your GF action, it looks like the PHA-IV Standard can do it. The best I can do for the single-handed 3-peats (and it's probably good enough for any piece I can play) is if I do clearly separated long pulls with my fingers. So my 3 middle fingers all fully extend from the base of my palm in a wave like motion and I strike each note staccato by pulling each finger/key back into my palm. Kinda like my hand is a galloping horse.

We are the music makers,
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: mwf] #2603287
01/11/17 01:44 PM
01/11/17 01:44 PM
Tacoma, WA
A
agent8698 Offline OP
agent8698  Offline OP
A

Tacoma, WA
Originally Posted by mwf
I have a yamaha cp4, the key repetition on that is the best I have ever experienced on a digital piano, it allows extremely rapid note repetition, faster than the clp585 they do, and much better than any roland I have played on, they cant actually perform rapid note repetitions properly I must add, the keyboard stumbles when you try properly, I have a roland rd800 and its not very good, for example I play Kapustin's concert etude no.3 on both keyboards and the cp4 allows effortless key repetition, which is crucial for this piece, the roland cant keep up with the demand and it does not play all notes.

Thank you so much, I will look into the Yamaha cp4.

Originally Posted by ando
The new Casio GP300/500 action is extremely fast. There was a video posted here that showed it being hit with a mechanical hammer and it was able to do something crazy like 20 notes per second.

Thank you, I want to see that video, if anybody can post a link. The GP series is (I think) $5K +, so, too expensive for me. But if they can get the job done at all (with the fast repetitions), that is a big deal, like a luxury car that introduces some valuable new feature, and 5 years later, that feature may become standard even in economy models. Here is part of a review of the GP-series action:

"I was told that the Bechstein company wanted the fastest responding acoustic piano style action that was possible to get in a digital piano. To make this happen Bechstein's only recourse was to leave out the escapement "simulation" because otherwise that feature would have prevented a faster key movement for those players who perform at very high skill levels. In reality for most pianists, the escapement function on digital pianos is somewhat irrelevant because it's not the near same thing as in a real grand piano and is only simulated in a small way. With this in mind, the importance of key movement and faster triggering of the piano sound took priority over having a "simulated" escapement feature. I believe that Casio/Bechstein made the right choice because this Grand key action is lightning fast when it comes to playing authentic piano pieces [...]"

Originally Posted by Gombessa
One thing worth noting--whether the design is triple- or double-sensor the rate of repetition will mainly depend on how high you must lift the key before depressing it again.

That is why I am curious about the Nord Piano 3, because Nord writes this on their website:

Extended Triggering Range
The new keyboard technology makes both top and bottom triggering possible, resulting in amazing control when playing percussively as well as pianissimo with the keys half-pressed down.

There is a video that shows this 'bottom triggering' in action:

https://youtu.be/9_YAH3ceiYQ?t=10m28s

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603300
01/11/17 02:38 PM
01/11/17 02:38 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by agent8698

That is why I am curious about the Nord Piano 3, because Nord writes this on their website:

The new keyboard technology makes both top and bottom triggering possible, resulting in amazing control when playing percussively as well as pianissimo with the keys half-pressed down.

I'm not personally familiar with the Nord, but I think it's demonstrating 2 things:

1. Triple sensor that allows notes to be played when a key is only partially lifted, then depressed again. This lets you play faster notes because you don't have to wait for the key to come all the way back up before you press down again--and again almost all med-to-high end DPs should support it.

2. Simulation of key damper not dropping onto the string when only lifting the key past the third (middle) sensor. I'm not sure what other DPs do in this case, but the explanation seems logical and should be a fairly straightforward implementation (e.g., only damp the note when the top-most sensor registers open)?

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603324
01/11/17 03:37 PM
01/11/17 03:37 PM
France
Frédéric L Online content
1000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Online Content
1000 Post Club Member

France
It is the first time I see the "bottom triggering" expression. It seems me the normal way of working for 3 sensors. Something which can be drawn like this :

[Linked Image]

(Picture taken from the Kawai site).

What puzzle me is the justfication of the top triggering (I understand a 2 sensors mode) :

a variety of other techniques, such as quick note repetitions at the key bottom or high velocity strokes within the top of the key range can also be performed as a result of the virtual Hammer action Technology.

If the purpose is a high velocity stroke, a high resolution timer associated with the sensors seems an other way. Don't "Roland DPs feature additional hardware dedicated to processing velocity" ? This info may be related.

But it is true that the lower we put the Sensor 2, the less velocity resolution we have if we don't increasy the sensor scan frequency.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: toddy] #2603332
01/11/17 03:58 PM
01/11/17 03:58 PM
UK
B
Bambers Offline
Bambers  Offline
B

UK
If anything repetition should be easier on most triple sensor DPs than it is on acoustics, assuming the middle sensor is low enough in the key dip. Most DPs do not have the overall mass and inertia in the key system that an acoustic has and therefore for the same ~50g touch weight (static) should be able to return faster.

Playing on a cheap yamaha P series with GHS action I actually found trills to be incredibly easy, easier than GF2 and most acoustics. This is largely because the action lacks the heft of those and returns very fast, not very good practice for an acoustic though.

Regarding let off simulation, there are pros and cons. The con is mostly that the feel of let off is often considered an imperfection, albeit necessary one and therefore why bother putting it on a DP. The pro is that if you transition to a grand piano from a DP (or most uprights for that matter where the let off is barely perceptible) the let off can catch you out in quiet passages and lead to missed notes. To me this latter point is where the desire for let off simulation comes from.

Originally Posted by jwmp

Sampled vs modelled has no relation whatsoever to repetition speed of a DP, it depends on the speed with which the key returns and where the middle sensor is.

Originally Posted by toddy
For fast repeats of the same note - the tremolo - is possible to do only on an acoustic grand with double escapement (invented mid 19th century). It isn't possible on an upright acoustic, as far as I'm aware.

1821. However, it's perfectly possible on uprights, though fast quiet repetition is very tricky. There seems to be this ongoing myth floating about that uprights cannot repeat unless you fully release the key. Uprights that cannot repeat without full release either have a poor action design (no or very weak jack springs) or a regulation very badly out of whack, given they tend to occupy the low end and aren't particularly well cared for I suspect that the latter is perhaps more often the case.

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: Frédéric L] #2603372
01/11/17 05:44 PM
01/11/17 05:44 PM
Milano
N
newer player Offline
500 Post Club Member
newer player  Offline
500 Post Club Member
N

Milano
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
What puzzle me is the justfication of the top triggering (I understand a 2 sensors mode)

I wonder about this also. Some other potential benefits of 3 sensors (or not)

- Maybe it is important to have sensor 1 be close to initial key stroke for precise velocity measurement

- Three sensors could allow additional precision and error correction on normal key strokes as there are three measurements(1-2, 2-3, 1-3) vs only one measurement for two sensor systems (1-2)

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603380
01/11/17 06:07 PM
01/11/17 06:07 PM
France
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

France
I have tried to compute a possible timer resolution :

With a 10 MHz dedicated chip (1 measure per cycle), we should divide by 88*3 to get the number of scans per second of a single sensor : 37kHz. 26us resolution timer.

At 10cm / 1s, the key travels 1mm in 0.01s : 378 units. Then, I think it is possible to get a quite good resolution of a bottom triggering with nowadays technology.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603404
01/11/17 07:15 PM
01/11/17 07:15 PM
Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
M
Marcos Daniel Offline
Marcos Daniel  Offline
M

Punta Alta, Buenos Aires, Arge...
I used to play that sonatina (not that fast) on a Kawai CL35 and it the piano was not the limit, but me. Of course it was easier on a real upright piano. I didn't try on a grand.
Anyway, for instance in Hungarian Rhapsody 2 by Liszt, or La Campanella, I could manage the parts with fast repetitions (perhaps not that fast) both in grands and uprights, I do not think that upright repetition system is a limitation. It isn't true you have to release the key on an upright piano to play again, they have a different escapement system, perhaps not as good as a grand.

Look at this video of my very old, unregulated, out of tune, 1920's Zimmerman Upright: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3hv_9fPK-k

On the other hand, on a Kawai CL35, one has to release the key almost completely to play again, but if the player doesn't try to make the keys reach the bottom, repetition can be managed.

Pianoteq / Kawai CL 35 & MP11 / Old 1920's Upright Zimmerman
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: newer player] #2603509
01/12/17 04:03 AM
01/12/17 04:03 AM
UK
S
spanishbuddha Online content
3000 Post Club Member
spanishbuddha  Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S

UK
Originally Posted by newer player
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
What puzzle me is the justfication of the top triggering (I understand a 2 sensors mode)

I wonder about this also. Some other potential benefits of 3 sensors (or not)

- Maybe it is important to have sensor 1 be close to initial key stroke for precise velocity measurement

- Three sensors could allow additional precision and error correction on normal key strokes as there are three measurements(1-2, 2-3, 1-3) vs only one measurement for two sensor systems (1-2)

It's an attempt to mimic the behaviour of an acoustic action. That's all.

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603515
01/12/17 05:03 AM
01/12/17 05:03 AM
Finland
C
clothearednincompo Offline
500 Post Club Member
clothearednincompo  Offline
500 Post Club Member
C

Finland
Here's somebody's two finger drumming test/personal opinion about the Roland FP30 i.e. the PHA4 Standard action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNQVnxbHG8&feature=youtu.be&t=9m5s

(And the video is a nice overview of the device in general.)

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603516
01/12/17 05:28 AM
01/12/17 05:28 AM
the Netherlands
Goss Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Goss  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

the Netherlands

Other than the sensor array the mechanical design of the action of the dp determines speed to a large extent also I imagine - have not read posts so far complaining of a lack of speed on any of the pianos released after 2015 that we looked at before purchasing our current Roland HP605 - most of the findings posted were more to do with touch weight and the comparative feel of white and black keys.
Possibly because the selection of people choosing digitals, and then higher end digitals is still smaller than the number of people who go for an acoustic?

The (initial) touch weight of the PHA-50 action is slightly heavy ( 65 grams ) but it lightens up after initial touch - perhaps this feel is what put Miyuji Kaneko's play a little off.

The V Piano's action PHA-III is a generation behind the current PHA-50 action. ( PHA-III PHA-IV then PHA-50 ) and I have read plenty of grumbles about the PHA-III and IV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=GPJP65EMK50 on Roland PHA-50 action ( current HP and LX series, DP603, FP90 )

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: clothearednincompo] #2603527
01/12/17 06:25 AM
01/12/17 06:25 AM
Groove On Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Groove On  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Here's somebody's two finger drumming test/personal opinion about the Roland FP30 i.e. the PHA4 Standard action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNQVnxbHG8&feature=youtu.be&t=9m5s (And the video is a nice overview of the device in general.)

Yes, this is one of the better user reviews of the FP-30. Very straight forward and he hits many of the niggling details about the keyboard.

Re: trills, tremolos and 3-peats
After practicing trills, tremolos and 3-peats yesterday on my FP-30, I went down to the local store and tried doing the same on several uprights and grands. Compared to the FP-30 / PHA4 Standard - it was so, so, so much easier to do all those things on the acoustics I tried (upright or grand). Even on my old Hardman-Peck upright, all those things are just easier to do.

The FP-30 can do them, it's just easier on the acoustics. I guess the question is, compared to the acoustics how do the digital pianos in the US$1,000 -$3,000 fair?

We are the music makers,
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: spanishbuddha] #2603544
01/12/17 07:36 AM
01/12/17 07:36 AM
France
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

France
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha

It's an attempt to mimic the behaviour of an acoustic action. That's all.

If we want to copy the behaviour of an acoustic action, we have to put a sensor at the point where the dampers are off the strings and a velocity sensor at the escapement point.

Since we can't measure the velocity with one switch sensor, we use two sensors as closed as possible... but not two much (timer resolution, risk of getting an uneven touch if some sensor points move).

Last edited by Frédéric L; 01/12/17 01:27 PM.

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2603560
01/12/17 09:02 AM
01/12/17 09:02 AM
United Kingdom
M
mwf Offline
500 Post Club Member
mwf  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

United Kingdom
I could make a video of the cp4 doing incredibly fast same key repetition if anyone wanted a demo of it, I have to wait until I get it back from yamaha though as its being repaired, one of the keys became loose a while back, moves from left to right too much basically, nothing to do with me pressing the key too many times I must add.

Last edited by mwf; 01/12/17 10:04 AM.
Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: ando] #2604411
01/14/17 03:53 PM
01/14/17 03:53 PM
Tacoma, WA
A
agent8698 Offline OP
agent8698  Offline OP
A

Tacoma, WA
Originally Posted by ando
The new Casio GP300/500 action is extremely fast. There was a video posted here that showed it being hit with a mechanical hammer and it was able to do something crazy like 20 notes per second. I'm sure Martha Argerich could get her Scarlatti done on that - but it helps a lot if you are Martha Argerich!

I've been searching for that video you mentioned (20 notes per second). The closest I have found is this video, which does not actually demonstrate it, but the Casio rep explains: "it will actually track at well over 20 repetitions per second":

https://youtu.be/4G_cAZv6ccE?t=5m16s

Re: Is there any digital piano that allows fast, repeated notes? [Re: agent8698] #2604522
01/14/17 11:11 PM
01/14/17 11:11 PM
G
Gombessa Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Gombessa  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
G

Originally Posted by agent8698

So I'm still not sure what they mean by "top triggering" but from the video my best guess is it means: when you lift the key completely during a fast repetition, the damper comes down and you don't get a sustain effect (top triggering); when you lift the key only partially (as in to the letoff) the damper stays up so the repetition is sustained.

However, I just tried this on the MP11 and it does exactly this as well, so maybe that's not what Nord is talking about?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Will Garriton cfx run on this laptop?
by Rohit04062. 11/20/18 07:22 AM
Success through failure: Thank you ABF
by Zilthy. 11/19/18 11:31 PM
Online lessons for advanced student viable?
by rach3master. 11/19/18 10:25 PM
Black Friday iOS Sales
by IosPlayer. 11/19/18 05:25 PM
Standard piano literature progression
by vetrano. 11/19/18 03:44 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,424
Posts2,762,781
Members91,525
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission