2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,210 guests, and 271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
First off, I want to be clear that I’m not referring here to the “whooshing” sound of the dampers coming off the strings.

I have a Kawai RX2, about 1 year old. When I press the damper pedal I can hear the very noticeable sound of two surfaces rubbing together. It is quite distracting when playing slow or quiet pieces. I’m not sure what is causing the noise but is it normal to hear anything other than that “whooshing” noise (which I understand is quite normal) when pressing the pedal?

I’ve listened to countless solo piano recordings and never here this. I can only assume that if I recorded myself the sound I’m hearing would be audible.

I have a tech coming tomorrow for a tuning and I’m going to talk to him about it. I don’t want him to just brush it off as normal when perhaps it is not.

Look forward to any replies.

Thanks.

Brent

Last edited by Stride88; 01/04/17 11:33 AM.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Certainly the noise you refer to is not normal, but no one but your technician can determine the source and the cause of the noise. It would be pure guess work without experiencing it live, so make sure your technician addresses the problem.

I don't consider the "whooshing" sound of the dampers leaving the strings as normal, either. A properly regulated action and pedal mechanism shouldn't produce any extraneous sounds.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Stride88

I have a tech coming tomorrow for a tuning and I’m going to talk to him about it. I don’t want him to just brush it off as normal when perhaps it is not.

It is not normal. My advice is to call your tech today to let him know about the pedal, don't wait until he gets there tomorrow to tune. He will appreciate knowing ahead of time. It may be something simple, or it may require some investigating on his part. Pedal noises can, sometimes, be difficult to figure out.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the responses. If you're interested, I've put an update in the Tech forum titled "Damper Pedal Noise From Damper Guide Rail Bushings"

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission