Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
70 registered members (Birdgolf, Anticlock, 7uturu, aireque, BucketNerlens, brassplyer, AprilE, anotherscott, ChatNoir, 13 invisible), 1,187 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: Rickster] #2596386
12/20/16 03:32 AM
12/20/16 03:32 AM
France
J
Jean Claude Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jean Claude  Offline
500 Post Club Member
J

France
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Scott McBain
If I was not a Kawai dealer, I would try and be a Yamaha dealer and vice a versa! Two of the easist pianos to sell (and not make a lot of money doing it!)

Sorry, Scott, I just don't buy the "not make a lot of money doing it" statement. I know piano dealers have overhead and expenses, but I think most piano dealers do very well.

The last big piano store I visited, there were 4 people in the store, me, the owner, and 2 salespeople. There were 4 vehicles in the parking lot, my 2004 Chevy Silverado pick-up truck, and 3 late model Mercedes Benz sedans, all black.

If piano dealers didn't make a lot of money, they wouldn't be in the business.

Don't get me wrong, I want to see piano dealers flourish and prosper, but they either make money, and a fair amount, or go out of business.

Just my opinion...

Rick

Three black Mercedes. There wasn't an undertaker next door?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: leel] #2596448
12/20/16 10:18 AM
12/20/16 10:18 AM
Minneapolis
SonatainfSharp Offline
500 Post Club Member
SonatainfSharp  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Minneapolis
Interesting, I just played a bunch of new Yamaha and Kawai grands a few weeks ago, and aside from one abnormally bright Kawai GL40 (I think the dealer let the "new guy" screw with it), the Yamahas were still much brighter than the Kawai pianos...so unless my information was outdated as of three weeks ago, I do still find them brighter.

I used to teach for a studio with many campuses, all having Yamaha grands. I never liked one. These weren't high-end Yamahas, though, mind you.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: AJF] #2596449
12/20/16 10:19 AM
12/20/16 10:19 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
Originally Posted by AJF
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Norbert
I think AJF hit the nail on the head. The most significant advantage that the Kawai action has is when it is in an unstable environment, such as a church, school, or other commercial location.

Let's not pollute a buyer's mind with hype.

Where are all the Yamaha owners [or those of others] complaining here about the instability of their pianos?
My guess is that 99% of Piano Forum posters have pianos at their homes and not at a church, school, or commercial location.

True. But I think it's fair to assume that a large percentage of posters here are also interested in somewhat empirical evidence regarding how two different pianos would stand up side by side in the same environment over the long term, and that this kind of info would most likely influence their choice when it comes time to purchase.
My piano at home certainly doesn't take the same beating as the pianos in a post secondary music school, but I like the fact that I feel confident that my piano at home HAS the durability to stay consistent over the long term, even in an abusive and less controlled environment. I think 99% of piano buyers would care about that.
I agree. My post was in response to the "Where are all the Yamaha owners...." question.

It's certainly true that any action components that are not made of wood are going to be more stable than corresponding wooden components. And that this difference is most important in unstable environments,

Last edited by pianoloverus; 12/20/16 12:23 PM.
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2596471
12/20/16 11:27 AM
12/20/16 11:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by SonatainfSharp
Interesting, I just played a bunch of new Yamaha and Kawai grands a few weeks ago, and aside from one abnormally bright Kawai GL40 (I think the dealer let the "new guy" screw with it), the Yamahas were still much brighter than the Kawai pianos...so unless my information was outdated as of three weeks ago, I do still find them brighter.

I used to teach for a studio with many campuses, all having Yamaha grands. I never liked one. These weren't high-end Yamahas, though, mind you.

If you haven't played the CX series grand pianos, you really don't have a basis for making an opinion on Yamaha's new direction. The CX are Yamaha's most recent designs and carry their latest tonal ethos. If you were playing uprights and low-end consumer grands, they are not part of the new tonal ethos.

If you have played the CX series and think they are vastly brighter than the GX series, I think you should see an audiologist! You may have been somewhat influenced by the difference in action. The Kawai action is heavier. It requires more effort to get to the bright portion of the tonal. The Yamaha is lighter and it's easier to find yourself playing louder and brighter if you are used to playing heavier actions - which most Kawai enthusiasts are. These differences confirm what biases already possess.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: leel] #2596688
12/20/16 08:25 PM
12/20/16 08:25 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
If this was true, a very high percent of all the posts on the Piano Forum(those asking for opinions about or comparisons of pianos)would be pointless.

Questions are fine but as has been forever showing on this board, there are all kinds of variable answers to same questions. Including many which may be irrelevant to assessing "near same" products.

There's also a difference in pointing out technical data - be they of real advantage or not - and the experience, i.e. "inner connection" players are making with an instrument.

In our almost 40 years experience, this is where things are really at definitely guaranteeing longest type satisfaction. Plus giving "respect" to others' perception.
IMHO very important and sometimes hard to learn by the various sales folks out there.

Personal satisfaction of course long after the details or "explanations of technical data" are forgotten. It's not something that "takes away" but actually helps to empower buyers to make decisions of their own.

Quite possibly a "typical salesman's" and "all his reasons" nightmare...

Norbert grin

Last edited by Norbert; 12/20/16 08:44 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: Norbert] #2596702
12/20/16 08:54 PM
12/20/16 08:54 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
If this was true, a very high percent of all the posts on the Piano Forum(those asking for opinions about or comparisons of pianos)would be pointless.

Questions are fine but as has been forever showing on this board, there are all kinds of variable answers to same questions.
The fact that there are variable answers is not the point. You stated that people should make their decisions about buying a piano by themselves. I think that very often this is not a good idea and people realize this for the reasons I mentioned earlier and many other reasons. That is why they ask so many questions at dealers and on the Piano Forum.

Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: leel] #2596708
12/20/16 09:08 PM
12/20/16 09:08 PM
Isengard
J
JoelW Offline
6000 Post Club Member
JoelW  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
J

Isengard
Yamaha.

Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: Rickster] #2596713
12/20/16 09:52 PM
12/20/16 09:52 PM
SoCal
Plowboy Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Plowboy  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

SoCal
Originally Posted by Rickster
Originally Posted by Scott McBain
If I was not a Kawai dealer, I would try and be a Yamaha dealer and vice a versa! Two of the easist pianos to sell (and not make a lot of money doing it!)

Sorry, Scott, I just don't buy the "not make a lot of money doing it" statement. I know piano dealers have overhead and expenses, but I think most piano dealers do very well.

Speaking of stores that sell both new Kawai and new Yamaha, the only one that I am aware of went out of business.

That was during the Great Recession, but still you'd think a Yamaha/Kawai dealer in the heart of the Chinese immigrant bastion of the San Gabriel Valley could make a go of it no matter how hard the times.

Gary
Essex EUP-111 at the mountains
W. Hoffmann T-122 at the beach
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: ando] #2596718
12/20/16 10:51 PM
12/20/16 10:51 PM
Glendale, Ca.
D
Dave Ferris Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Dave Ferris  Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D

Glendale, Ca.
Originally Posted by ando
! I've never played a CF or S series Yamaha so I can't compare their flagship products.

I owned an S6 for 9 years . My S6 from '97 saw a lot of practice hours in my home, prior to acquiring my D, so consequently it tended to get bright often. However after a voicing it was a beautiful sounding piano and played like butter. It sounded like the voice of God in the living room with our hardwood floors and the higher angled ceiling.
Really something to hear. I highly miss it. frown

I've played the CF6 on maybe a half dozen occasions since it was released. Even nicer sounding then the S series. If I were fortunate enough to be in the position to buy a 7' piano, the CF6 would be in the running along with a Steinway B and a Fazioli 212. It's that good.

Kawais are outstanding pianos as well. Can't recall that I've ever played a bad grand, or even an upright, with their name on it. Tonally, it's just not my thing - that is given the choice between the two.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D
Yamaha CP4, CP5
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: leel] #2596727
12/20/16 11:54 PM
12/20/16 11:54 PM
Surrey, B.C.
Norbert Offline
Norbert  Offline

Surrey, B.C.
Kawais are outstanding pianos as well. Can't recall that I've ever played a bad grand, or even an upright, with their name on it. Tonally, it's just not my thing - that is given the choice between the two.

I recently played and quite liked the new GX series and was equally impressed with the new Yamaha CX series.

They are really all very nice pianos but if actually "buying" I would spend more time comparing them to everything else in same/similar price range.

For example, there may even be some higher rated pianos "close by" or
some 7' grands for same price.

So, comparing only one or two options rarely ever really make the cut.

How else does one really know getting the piano of your dreams?

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 12/20/16 11:59 PM.

www.heritagepianos.com
Greater Vancouver B.C. piano dealers for : Estonia, Brodmann, Ritmuller
604-951-8642
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: ando] #2596820
12/21/16 11:00 AM
12/21/16 11:00 AM
Minneapolis
SonatainfSharp Offline
500 Post Club Member
SonatainfSharp  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Minneapolis
[quote=SonatainfSharp]You may have been somewhat influenced by the difference in action.

Just like moving an upright away from the wall makes the action feel lighter, and fastening a blanket to the back of an upright makes the action feel sluggish, yes.

I often have other people play whatever they can before I play a piano sometimes, so that I am not influenced by the action, etc. smile

As far as seeing an audiologist, I have for other reasons. I can hear dogwhistles. I can hear the electronics of the TV's whining when I walk into a Best Buy. It's no fun. Maybe the "brightness" I hear is other parts of the piano resonating on a Yamaha that doesn't on a Kawai?

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: leel] #2596857
12/21/16 12:38 PM
12/21/16 12:38 PM
Auckland New Zealand
R
Robert 45 Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Robert 45  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Auckland New Zealand
Hello SonatainFSharp,
Indeed! In fact it would seem that your sensitive ear and extensive music background would make you better qualified than most of us to express your opinion on piano tone.

Merry Christmas!

Robert.

Last edited by Robert 45; 12/21/16 12:48 PM.
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: Dave Ferris] #2596898
12/21/16 03:27 PM
12/21/16 03:27 PM
Melbourne, Australia
A
ando Offline
5000 Post Club Member
ando  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
A

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by Dave Ferris
[quote=ando]

That pretty much describes my feelings on the matter. I think Kawais are very nice pianos, but tonally they aren't quite the right fit for me. A great Yamaha just feels more tonally sweet than a great Kawai for me. I also find the feel of the Yamaha action is more to my liking. I get more tired playing Kawai actions. I love the liquid touch of a well regulated Yamaha. A lot of that is based on what we grew up learning to play - a preference for heavier actions is almost always the result of playing heavier actions during the early phases of learning. I also had problems with tendonitis for a while and during that time, playing a Kawai was very aggravating for me, where the Yamaha wasn't. Still, I recognise that these are very personal needs and preferences and don't apply to everybody.

Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: ando] #2596919
12/21/16 04:47 PM
12/21/16 04:47 PM
J
Jason74 Offline
Jason74  Offline
J

If you haven't played the CX series grand pianos, you really don't have a basis for making an opinion on Yamaha's new direction. The CX are Yamaha's most recent designs and carry their latest tonal ethos. If you were playing uprights and low-end consumer grands, they are not part of the new tonal ethos.

I think this is true, although while you say "if you were playing uprights", i'd suggest that it largely depends on what uprights you were playing. I have a YUS5, and tonally it's a very different animal to the U3, despite sharing much of the same architecture. There's much more depth and warmth to the sound, especially at the lower end, and I'd suggest that the approach around the YUS series generally has a lot in common with the CX series grands

I recently played and quite liked the new GX series and was equally impressed with the new Yamaha CX series.

They are really all very nice pianos but if actually "buying" I would spend more time comparing them to everything else in same/similar price range.

For example, there may even be some higher rated pianos "close by" or
some 7' grands for same price.

So, comparing only one or two options rarely ever really make the cut.

How else does one really know getting the piano of your dreams?

Norbert

I'd completely agree with this too. There are so many more good choices for the piano buyer now than 20 years ago. When I bought my first piano in the mid 90s, it was almost true to say that if you didn't have a tier 1 budget, there weren't many companies other than Kawai and Yamaha who were building pianos that wee actually any good. Now there's so much more choice. There are some good choices coming out of Eastern Europe, and some of the better Chinese pianos now offer really good value in a way that wasn't the case not that long ago.

If someone is looking to spend a lot of money on a piano (and I think for most buyers, the purchase is a lot of money to them regardless of the price point they're buying at) they really do need to look at all of the options before splashing the cash. It just so happened that for me, having spend six months searching, a Yamaha was the right choice. . . . . . .which I suppose also says where I stand on the subject of this thread.

Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: Norbert] #2597011
12/22/16 12:27 AM
12/22/16 12:27 AM
Michigan
K
kpembrook Offline
Platinum Subscriber
kpembrook  Offline
Platinum Subscriber
K

Michigan
I think AJF hit the nail on the head. The most significant advantage that the Kawai action has is when it is in an unstable environment, such as a church, school, or other commercial location.

Let's not pollute a buyer's mind with hype.

Where are all the Yamaha owners [or those of others] complaining here about the instability of their pianos?

P.S. Evrybody knows it's not the action but the soundboard that creates the most obvious changes for pianos in tough climates. Especially with large changes in humidity.

Actions,especially when built right, are hardly ever affected by this, at least outside tropical climates.

Norbert

No.
Wooden actions are affected by humidity which affects hammer wear and responsiveness. Also, as we know, "every piece of wood is different". This means that every single action component responds slightly differently to varying circumstances of either play or climate.

In contrast, composite materials are much more stable. In universities, WN&G parts are something like heroin to resident piano techs: there's no going back to wood once they have given the composite parts a try. They find the differences dramatic, not incidental.

Side note: Kawai does NOT have composite hammer shanks (at least not last time I checked.)

Keith Akins, RPT
Piano Technologist
USA Distributor for Isaac Cadenza hammers and Profundo Bass Strings
Supporting Piano Owners D-I-Y piano tuning and repair
Editor Emeritus, Piano Technicians Journal
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: SonatainfSharp] #2597020
12/22/16 02:02 AM
12/22/16 02:02 AM
Toronto
A
AJF Offline
1000 Post Club Member
AJF  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A

Toronto
[quote=SonatainfSharp]You may have been somewhat influenced by the difference in action.

Just like moving an upright away from the wall makes the action feel lighter, and fastening a blanket to the back of an upright makes the action feel sluggish, yes.

I often have other people play whatever they can before I play a piano sometimes, so that I am not influenced by the action, etc. smile

As far as seeing an audiologist, I have for other reasons. I can hear dogwhistles. I can hear the electronics of the TV's whining when I walk into a Best Buy. It's no fun. Maybe the "brightness" I hear is other parts of the piano resonating on a Yamaha that doesn't on a Kawai?

This actually contradicts my experience in comparing Yamaha and Kawai as Kawais typically emphasize a LOT more pronounced overtones in their sound than Yamahas which definitely emphasize the fundamental tone more. Your description of your own hearing suggests to me that Kawai's sound should bother you a lot more than Yamaha's.
But then who knows. We're all different.

Pianist, Composer
Disclaimer: Shigeru Kawai Artist
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: leel] #2597022
12/22/16 02:10 AM
12/22/16 02:10 AM
Finland
O
outo Offline
3000 Post Club Member
outo  Offline
3000 Post Club Member
O

Finland
I think one's individual hearing has a lot to do with it. I find some pianos almost intolerable due to the disturbing overtones, while other people find them lovely. Yet my hearing is not perfect according to medical examination, certain frequencies I hear a bit more poorly with the other ear.

Last edited by outo; 12/22/16 02:11 AM.
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: Steve Cohen] #2597733
12/24/16 11:02 AM
12/24/16 11:02 AM
UK
Frankni Offline
Frankni  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Steve Cohen
I liken them to Lexus and Infinity. (I'm an infinity man!)

I would consider Yamaha to be the Toyota under the pianos (with its high class models to be the Lexuses) while Kawai is more like Nissan. Personally, I haven't met a Kawai I liked, it is not my cup of tea, while some Yamahas are pretty good and reliable on their level. I can't say much about the Shigeru Kawai (the higher level Kawais) so I would reserve judgement on those. Obviously, there are brands which I would consider above both families.

Yamaha C3, Sauter Delta 185
Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: leel] #2597785
12/24/16 03:51 PM
12/24/16 03:51 PM
Dublin
J
johnstaf Online crying
johnstaf  Online Crying
J

Dublin
Kawai and Yamaha currently make some of the finest high-end hand built pianos in the World. There is no step above the Yamaha CFX or Shigeru Kawai SK-EX. I like the fact that Yamaha don't change the name of their cheaper pianos, as I dislike the type of brand snobbery based on the price of a company's cheapest piano.

Re: Kawai vs Yamaha [Re: leel] #2598750
12/28/16 04:08 PM
12/28/16 04:08 PM
London
J
jazzpianist Offline
jazzpianist  Offline
J

London
Surely they're level-peg gears and, having just recommended a C7 (after loads of playing in new CX models) I'd go with Yamaha. They are sometimes still set up 'bright', it seems to me, but are inherently more mellow than a new C7M was back in the day.

I am a jazzer. Yamaha action and sound seems to suit me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Removing Wurlitzer Action
by masonhamlin. 10/18/18 08:15 PM
Galaxy II - Vienna Grand (Bosendorfer 290)
by Max_Forte. 10/18/18 06:38 PM
Roland RP 102 vs Yamaha & Kawai
by Jtater02. 10/18/18 02:49 PM
Looking for advice on performing in public.
by klavierstücke. 10/18/18 01:30 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,881
Posts2,753,844
Members91,289
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission