2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, busa, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,109 guests, and 255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
OP Offline
P
Have had lots of fun playing with the Garritan update - first demo is below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK6imaylA60

For those who missed the rest of the series (every performance is on an entirely digital setup):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzp0erAOXXpY6O40hMx1xLg

Lots more coming.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
subscribed a pleasure to watch and listen to

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Very humbling, Philip.

Just wondering, who did you study under?

P
P
Brilliant in every aspect. Wow, just wow........

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed that immensely, Phillip. Excellent.
Wish you were on my continent for a few lessons. You've worked out so many things about your technique. Really great the way you get this digital instrument to speak.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Bravo! Immaculate playing, and as much as I tried, I simply couldn't tell it was a digital-only workflow. It just goes to show what's possible in some truly talented hands.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
OP Offline
P
Hi Ando - apologies for the slow reply. You asked who I studied under:

Undergraduate - John Luxton, Australian National University School of Music. Postgraduate - Edward Auer, Indiana University.

In the years since, I recorded for Warner Music, but shortly after, I actually stopped playing—completely—for more than 10 years. Didn't touch the piano. I have three kids, they had no idea I could play.

Bought the digital setup and the video gear in 2014 to get back on the horse.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Philip_Johnston
Hi Ando - apologies for the slow reply. You asked who I studied under:

Undergraduate - John Luxton, Australian National University School of Music. Postgraduate - Edward Auer, Indiana University.

In the years since, I recorded for Warner Music, but shortly after, I actually stopped playing—completely—for more than 10 years. Didn't touch the piano. I have three kids, they had no idea I could play.

Bought the digital setup and the video gear in 2014 to get back on the horse.

That must have been a marvellous surprise for your kids to discover that not only can you play, but you play at a virtuoso level.

John Luxton, I did cross paths with once. Seemed like a jolly nice chap. Very talented.

L
L
Hi Philip,

Thanks a lot for very inspiring videos. In my opinion these are the best digital piano recordings on the internet so far.

You've convinced me that a timeless Avantgrand action together with the Garritan CFX library is the optimal combination that nowadays delivers the best virtual piano experience on the market.

I am a fresh owner of both of them and would be very grateful if you could share your experience with the right settings, especially:
1) What is the velocity setting that is most convenient for you with your N3 (I have N1, but there should be no difference)?
2) What kind of sound tweaks or sound profile have you used? (e.g. during the first 10 secs in your video below I can hear very nice “buzzing" sound that I can achieve only by turning the “timbre” knob to the right, is it what you did as well?)
3) What type of headphones are you using?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDE_PxkRdEM

P
OP Offline
P
Lubomir, I appreciate the feedback smile I've taken your questions one at a time below:

Originally Posted by Lubomir

I am a fresh owner of both of them and would be very grateful if you could share your experience with the right settings, especially:
1) What is the velocity setting that is most convenient for you with your N3 (I have N1, but there should be no difference)?

I assume you're talking about the touch setting on the N3 itself? There are only three options, I have it set to the middle one. Love the action on the N3; there's nothing I've thrown at it that it cannot handle.

2) What kind of sound tweaks or sound profile have you used? (e.g. during the first 10 secs in your video below I can hear very nice “buzzing" sound that I can achieve only by turning the “timbre” knob to the right, is it what you did as well?)

There's almost no tweaking at all. There's no EQ or reverb added in my DAW (Logic), nor have I used the reverb included in the Garritan engine - it's simply the natural reverb that occurs in the Abbey Road studios.

I've attached screenshots of the settings I used within the Garritan interface for the Chopin Scherzo #2.

3) What type of headphones are you using?

I don't play with headphones usually, they get in the way physically. When I'm making these recordings, I'm actually using the N3's own sound as the reference audio, both for me, and for the microphone on my video cameras - that audio is then used to sync everything up with the exported CFX audio track in Final Cut afterwards. Not ideal, but if these recordings are to maintain the illusion of being an acoustic grand, I can't be seen with headphones in shot smile

But when I do use headphones, I have a set of Sennheiser's that are over a decade old...tatty, but still sound great. Brilliant for practicing Prokofieff at 1am.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
So it must be an interesting experience to hear your performance played for the first time on a different piano, Philip? Do you ever find that there is a disconnect between the way you shaped something on the N3's internal sound versus how it comes out on the Garritan piano? Or are they similar enough in response that you just get a nicer version of what you heard from the N3 when you were playing it?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Philip, I see you haven't enabled the partial (half) pedaling. Is there any particular reason for that? I found it to be perfectly implemented. Have you found it's not working well for you?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
S
S
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Philip, I see you haven't enabled the partial (half) pedaling.

If I remember, this was recorded before the CFX upgrade.

Anyway, with or without half pedaling, it is a really great performance.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
It's the upgrade that added the repedaling and partial pedaling checkboxes.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
L
L
Hi Philip,

The screenshots clarified everything. Thank you!

BTW, may I ask what is the best way of recording the audio? You were mentioning that you had Logic Pro on your Mac. Do you transfer the signal directly from the Garritan to the Logic? Or is there any other way? E.g. connect the headphone output to the microphone input and then record?

P
OP Offline
P
Lubomir - rig is a 2013 iMac, so it's not massively powerful, but I am using an Apogee One to handle the sound. Audio is direct offline bounce from within Logic, no need for microphone inputs.

The only recorded audio is whatever my video cameras pick up from the N3, which I use as a reference to sync the video to the (much higher quality) audio file that Logic produces.

Debates about acoustic vs digital aside: there is no way I could make an recording of this audio quality without a massive investment in a first rate concert grand, a piano technician on standby to tune/regulate/voice the piano daily, insanely expensive recording gear, and decades of sound engineering expertise. I don't have any of that; the Garritan team do (and so do the other leading piano sample libraries) - very happy to outsource all that to them, and concentrate on playing smile

P
OP Offline
P
Sorry for the delay CyberGene, missed your question first time.

Reason I haven't enable half pedalling is because I wasn't planning on using it in this particular piece, didn't want to tax my (somewhat ageing and underpowered) iMac needlessly.

F
F
Philip, I am in awe of your artistry and the realistic sound you pull out of the Garritan CFX. I would like to see the screenshot of your CFX settings, which you attached to your post # 2599256 on Dec 30, 2016. It seems that others have been able to see it, but I do not see any attachment. Could you re-post it? (Or can someone explain how to see the one posted previously?) Thanks.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Frank, I can see the images.

Can you load them separately (I've linked them below)?

http://i66.tinypic.com/jikew8.png
http://i65.tinypic.com/16gbdoz.png
http://i66.tinypic.com/1zn2bdz.png

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
F
F
Thanks, Gombessa, but those images appear to be blank when I click the links. And when I download them, they are 0 bytes. Maybe you can explain how to see the images in Philip's post. Is it only senior members who can see uploads? Maybe it's partly a browser issue. I was on Firefox and could not even see any links or icons for the images in Philip's post. Just now I tried Google Chrome and can at least see 3 icons at the bottom of his post; but there still appear to be no images or they are blank.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission