2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, 11 invisible), 1,852 guests, and 326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2597381 12/23/16 09:06 AM
B
Bagong Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello:

I am thinking about purchasing a 1909 Baldwin concert grand 9' for my son. I have yet to arrange for a tech to check on it as I am want to get some idea on the reputation of a Baldwin piano from that era.

How is the 1909 Baldwin concert grand compared to the SD-10? The harp is different.

I asked pictures of the soundboard and it seems to be in good shape. I will attach them when I figure out how to attach pics in this forum.

Thank you.
Suti

J
J
Originally Posted by Bagong
The harp is different.

Hardly-- The 1909's is a modern design.

In 1909, it was made only for the rich. Today's isn't.
The 1909's was a golden age piano. If the highest note could sustain up to standard duration and no cracks on the bridge, it could even be better than SD-10 in tone quality.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
It's old. There is no way to look at pictures and have any idea of it's condition. Pianos are machines and as such need maintenance. You need a GOOD technician to evaluate it before you make a decision.

Dale Fox
Registered Piano Technician
Remanufacturing/Rebuilding
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
How kind of a gesture! A few questions that may help to elicit a better answer from us: What level of player is your son, and how intensely will the piano be used? How original is the piano, and what has been replaced (and when, and by whom)? Has the piano been in an area of the country with wide seasonal humidity swings? It's good that you're going to have it inspected - the current condition of the piano (now over a century old) is 100 times more important than the instrument's reputation. A visual inspection of a soundboard is not a useful indicator of its performance. I've seen some great looking ones that have sub-par ringtime and others that look like Swiss cheese that performed better than I'd have guessed.

Do keep in mind used concert grands are notoriously difficult to sell, so it's a buyer's market in that sense, but it's even more important that you choose wisely-- otherwise your son may end up having to dispose of an unsellable "dog" of a piano if things don't work out.

Just Steven- can you clarify your "for the rich" comment? It doesn't make sense. Also your suggestion about listening to the duration of the "highest note", however well intentioned, is a really bad way to judge sustain, as a 2-minute adjustment to the high treble strike point can make a huge difference. Did you mean to say the "killer" (5th) octave, perhaps?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
B
Bagong Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Hello All:

Thank you for the comments. How can I attach pictures? It seems to ask me to point to a URL.

My son has been playing piano for 18 months now and he practices ~2 hr a day. We (he plays and I support) got into piano so that he can "soften" his personality and help him to be good in math. He is 12. Seeing how he is progressing - I thought to get him a good piano that he can use to play for his "lifetime". Honestly, I don't want him to be a concert pianist, but for him to be good enough that he can enjoy for the rest of his life.

How can I get a good tech in the St. Paul (Minnesota)? Any recommendation?

Thank you.
Suti

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Baldwin's concert grands went through numerous changes between 1909 and the SD-10. I would not dub that a "Golden Era" for Baldwin as they really hit their stride later.

Is this a restored piano? original? partially rebuilt?

Keep in mind that concert grand piano are similar to race cars. They tend to be incredibly well made with some of the best materials and workmanship, but they are also only advantageous to the user when they are "race ready".

If it is fully restored or recently fully restored, pursue it. If you intend to buy the body and restore it as a project with a top shop, consult with the shop you intend to use. If it's just old and of mystery condition but seems interesting, you should probably pass.

Sam Bennett
PianoWorks - Atlanta Piano Dealer
Bösendorfer, Estonia, Seiler, Grotrian, Hailun
Pre-Owned: Yamaha, Kawai, Steinway & other fine pianos
Full Restoration Shop
www.PianoWorks.com
www.youtube.com/PianoWorksAtlanta
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
All the pre SD-6 Baldwin concert grands I have seen have problems with the strike point in the lower treble area, Note 50 up to note 65. The agraffes and lower V-bar position on the casting is too close to the hammer line to produce best tone. The error is too great to be able to solve by gluing the hammers on the shanks longer and still have the action function properly.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
You can find a registered piano technician (RPT) by clicking on this link and entering your zip code:

Find an RPT

There may be other competent technicians in your area who are not members, but you'll have to search for them (word of mouth, referral, Google search, etc).

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I have a confessed affinity for old Baldwins, but as terminaldegree mentioned above, the individual piano's condition is paramount. Don't rely on boilerplate advice based on brands, ages or eras. If you like the piano enough to consider it, then have it inspected. That will give you concrete information on which to base a decision.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bagong
How can I attach pictures? It seems to ask me to point to a URL.

If you have the pictures hosted somewhere, you can just paste in a link. Or, if you want the actual picture to show up in this thread, and you're using the "Full Reply" editor, you can click the "Enter an image" button and paste the link into the prompt.

Alternatively, you can host them here on PianoWorld, but the process is somewhat cryptic.

K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
I would strongly suggest getting in touch with Kieran Wells at Wells Piano in your area. http://www.wellspianos.com/

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
PM me if you like. I know a good tech/rebuilder in Stillwater.

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
B
Bagong Offline OP
OP Offline
B

Last edited by Bagong; 12/23/16 05:26 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
You can find instructions for posting pictures here.

B
Bagong Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Thank you all for the pointers. I am able to post the pictures per instruction from David-G. See previous posting and also the link below:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/galleries/2597557.html#Post2597557

I don't know the answers to many of the questions that you asked - but I will call the seller and schedule a piano tech to come and check it out.

I am interested in this Baldwin as the store is willing to consider a trade (plus some TBD cash from me) for my Steinway A (85 keys). That Steinway did not play loud at all, but there is no buzzing. The soundboard has cracks (visible) and I counted that there are 11 screws on the ribs which anchored them to the soundboard. I figured that it is not worthwhile to restore this Steinway.

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Nice color! Interesting to see something different than the usual.

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Note very carefully the preceding post by Ed McMorrow. If he says that something can't be changed or fixed, you can be sure of it.
The great days of the Baldwin concert grand came many years later.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

For anything Baldwin, always check with Robert Estrin at Living Pianos in Santa Ana. He's an expert on them, and usually has several in stock, including concert grands.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
The pictures provided are not very helpful. Try to get some of the action, tuning pin area and cast iron plate. This is not a particularly desirable model. Baldwin's smaller grands of the same period were better. Definitely have a tech look at it but try to find a rebuilder, not a regular tuner who may not have much experience with Baldwins of this age.

If you are trying to get a performance quality piano for an advanced student, this will not be it.

Last edited by S. Phillips; 12/23/16 07:54 PM.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Columbus, GA

www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Bagong, if you wish to give your child the priceless boon of a piano to have for his lifetime, choosing a piano at the end of its life span is contrary to your intentions. there are some vintage grands, properly restored, that would fulfill your desires, but you have been given a number of yellow and orange caution lights by folks here who know the old baldwin grands. enjoy the quest and buona fortuna.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission