Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
149 registered members (AlphaBravoCharlie, BachToTheFuture, ando, Animisha, Antihero, accordeur, anotherscott, 31 invisible), 1,984 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Does repertoire evoke emotions? #2596275
12/19/16 06:43 PM
12/19/16 06:43 PM
Long Beach, CA
E
ec Offline OP
ec  Offline OP
E

Long Beach, CA
Has anyone else had the experience of a piece/pieces being so closely associated with a painful or intense experience that you were simply unable to practice or perform it? I've had this happen twice within the past year, and am seeking support from PW friends before moving on to professional help. I ultimately had to stop playing the Beethoven sonata and Chopin Nocturne I was working on around the time of my father's passing just over a year ago. Now I'm facing a similar problem following the surrender of our pets prior to moving out of the country. Am I broken, or has this happened to others??

ec
Long Beach, CA

Chopin - Nocturnes, Op. 62
Schumann - Fantasiest├╝cke, Op 12; Kreisleriana (dabbling)

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Does repertoire evoke emotions? [Re: ec] #2596293
12/19/16 07:48 PM
12/19/16 07:48 PM
Seattle area, WA
gooddog Offline
5000 Post Club Member
gooddog  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

Seattle area, WA
I prepared a Chopin nocturne as a gift for my mother but I was not able to play it for her because she died unexpectedly. Whenever I play that piece, I weep. I really don't see a problem with this because I view it as healthy grieving and the releasing of strong feelings. I don't play it often, but playing it allows me to reach out to her when I am missing her the most. I don't know if there is a heaven, but if there is, she is surely listening. My Mom died 6 years ago and the piece still makes my eyes fill with tears but this doesn't stop me from playing it or missing her.

I think you should honor your feelings and allow yourself to grieve. If you are feeling overwhelmed by grief, I've heard there are grief support groups that can help you. The pain of loss never goes away, but it does become a little less sharp and more distant with time.

I am so sorry for your losses.

Best regards,

Deborah
Re: Does repertoire evoke emotions? [Re: ec] #2596304
12/19/16 08:10 PM
12/19/16 08:10 PM
New York
Mark_C Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Mark_C  Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

New York
Absolutely.
Deborah said it very well. I join her in expressing my sympathy for your losses.

At such times, my music has sometimes been a lifesaver. There would be pieces I'd play to console myself, sometimes pieces that I just found myself playing because they had the right feeling for the moment, sometimes because they just happened to be what I'd been playing. And then sometimes it would be hard for me to come back to them afterward, because of their being connected to that time.

During one of those times, I happened to have been preparing the piece (Chopin's Barcarolle) for an amateur competition. I didn't make it to the round where I would have played the piece but I did play it for a master class at the event. The leader (David Dubal) said, "This is an 8-minute piece. You're playing it like a funeral march and taking 13 minutes." He was more right than he knew. (He was exaggerating about the "13 minutes" but I'm sure that's what it felt like.)

Sometimes it has been something less serious, even silly, yet powerful in its own way. One year, I happened to be working on a Scarlatti sonata, and was practicing it while watching baseball on TV. The team I root for (the Yankees) had a very disappointing loss. I haven't stopped associating that piece with that loss, and have been averse to playing it since then, even though it's been 21 years. And in fact, even though it's mostly an upbeat kind of piece, that connection made it feel wistful and melancholy. To be sure, the piece does have those aspects, but normally they wouldn't have been so predominant for me.

BTW, it's this piece:

Re: Does repertoire evoke emotions? [Re: ec] #2596327
12/19/16 09:55 PM
12/19/16 09:55 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
T
Ted Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ted  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
T

Auckland, New Zealand
Not much these days. I sometimes generate powerful associations with music but I doubt "emotion" is the right term to describe them, and I have certainly never been affected to the point of being unable to play. Must be something of a cold fish I suppose.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
Re: Does repertoire evoke emotions? [Re: ec] #2596461
12/20/16 09:54 AM
12/20/16 09:54 AM
Minneapolis
SonatainfSharp Offline
500 Post Club Member
SonatainfSharp  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Minneapolis
Yes. When my mother died when I was 20, I was determined to play the Mozart a minor Sonata because it is said he wrote it because of his own mother's death. I learned it, but quite poorly because, well, my mother just died.

Now that my father died a few days ago and I am 20 years older, I plan to learn the Sonata again, polish it, and record the dang thing this time.

Instead of the emotion behind the determination keeping me from playing the piece, I am hoping the drive will inspire me to do a better job than I thought I ever possibly could.

I do music stuffs
Yep, I have a YouTube channel!
Charles Walter 1500 in semi-polish ebony [2017]
Re: Does repertoire evoke emotions? [Re: ec] #2596462
12/20/16 09:57 AM
12/20/16 09:57 AM
UK
Nikolas Online blank
6000 Post Club Member
Nikolas  Online Blank
6000 Post Club Member

UK
It's happened to me, although not with a death yet.

As a composer I've composed for many different reasons and some can be really personal. The outlet of publishing the music is very healthy in my case (although a little commercially unviable, but whatever)...

You are not broken, there's nothing wrong with you.

Maybe the same piece, in a little while (months, years, whatever), will help you remember them and let their memories live through the music, so it might be all good.

Re: Does repertoire evoke emotions? [Re: ec] #2596524
12/20/16 01:06 PM
12/20/16 01:06 PM
Tempe, Arizona
AZ_Astro Offline
500 Post Club Member
AZ_Astro  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tempe, Arizona
When I was about 5, I sat on the piano bench with my mother as she played Chopin Prelude Op 10 4. I never forgot it.

When I started playing the piano (at age 57), I decided to learn the piece in memory of my mother. It took me a year to learn! But I did it. Today, when I play it, it always reminds me of my mother and her wonderful versatility at the piano. It's a cherished memory and I try to play it "for her."

Rather than losing a piece, I think one can turn that around and play the piece in memory of...

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 12/20/16 01:07 PM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
Re: Does repertoire evoke emotions? [Re: Mark_C] #2596651
12/20/16 05:59 PM
12/20/16 05:59 PM
New York, NY
T
TimV Offline
TimV  Offline
T

New York, NY
Mark, the association with that Scarlatti sonata with a lost Yankees game makes me laugh a little. I can easily see that piece accompanying a baseball blooper reel.

On a more serious note to the OP, yeah I think a lot of people have circumstantial emotional associations with a particular piece. I was working on a few pieces when a 7 year relationship fell apart and a good friend passed away somewhat unexpectedly. I can't hear Brahms's Op 79 1&2 or Chopin Op 45 without going right back where I was in 2004.

I had a teacher I really did not like for about a year. I recently revisited some of the rep I worked on with him and found myself going into a very dark place emotionally. I was surprised by how strong my reaction was. There was nothing overtly traumatic in my life at the time except maybe my late adolescence.

--------------------------
Bach WTC 1 #7
Brahms Op 76 #1, Op 118 #5
Debussy Suite Bergamasque
Re: Does repertoire evoke emotions? [Re: ec] #2596709
12/20/16 08:14 PM
12/20/16 08:14 PM
JoelW Offline
6000 Post Club Member
JoelW  Offline
6000 Post Club Member

What do you think they felt writing it.

Re: Does repertoire evoke emotions? [Re: ec] #2596715
12/20/16 09:10 PM
12/20/16 09:10 PM
SoCal
Plowboy Offline

2000 Post Club Member
Plowboy  Offline

2000 Post Club Member

SoCal
I'm like Ted it seems, a cold fish.

Although I once conjured up the Angel of Death when playing Chopin's E minor prelude. That was creepy.

And once in a while while playing Bach's C Major prelude from WTC1 I get it "right" and feel this incredible connection to the Old Man. I like that when it happens.

Other than that it's just plunking at the piano.

Gary
Essex EUP-111 at the mountains
W. Hoffmann T-122 at the beach

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
PianoSupplies.com is Piano World's Online Store
Please visit our store today.
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sostenuto pedal made by Renner in uprights ?
by Lady Bird. 11/13/19 07:21 AM
How do you listen to recital tracks: headphones, speakers?
by QuasiUnaFantasia. 11/13/19 04:15 AM
What's Hot!!
Our August Newsletter is Out!
------------------
Mason & Hamlin Piano Factory Tour!

-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics195,057
Posts2,890,326
Members94,955
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission