2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Well then, the most accessible, least technical/introductory and comprehensive material I know is is the "Sonata" chapter in Aaron Copland's "What to Listen for in Music", which is still in print. As a matter of fact, the OP should read the whole book.

However, even Copland discusses the form in typical harmonic and rhythmic analysis terms, which the OP says they don't want. So then I'm really not sure what to say, other than what I've already said. Because anything less technical won't tell them anything, anything from the new deconstructionist school of analysis will just confuse the issue in every way, and something more "literary" will give them the wrong ideas entirely.

I
ICW Offline OP
OP Offline
I
I'm a bit overwhelmed by all these posts. Thanks for your replies.

Although I've been listening to baroque/classical/romantic music for 15+ years now, I own no music books except:

the Oxford Companion to Music,
Piston's Counterpoint,
Bairstow's counterpoint/harmony book,
Walter Carroll's "First Lessons in Bach",
Schmitt's Op. 16,
Brown's scale/arpeggio book,
and the grade/level 1 repertoire & etude books of the Royal Conservatory (Canada).

I've always loved the Sonata as an idea of perfect balance, and hope to play one some day, like a Clementi.

As for wanting to study the Sonata form while only being in Grade/Level 1-2, just know that I like structures, forms, blueprints, and how beauty is applied to them. So please forgive my amateurishness. I can't afford to have private lessons before the next conservatory term begins in January, so I'm sitting in musical purgatory for a month and a week. One can't sit at the piano all day, as a beginner. wink

"Sonatainfsharp", you understand my intention. I like to see repetitions, so as to better understand how a piece, or a section, or even a phrase, works better. I get hopelessly lost without seeing patterns.

"Carey", thanks for the scribd links. Anything like that is helpful; not just wiki descriptions or google results, but something like that. Yes, I want to understand the expo-dev-recap form of the Sonata-Allegro movement better.

J
J
Absolutely, Charles Rosen. And get his companion to the Beethoven Sonatas and follow along to watch how the great master plays with sonata form

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi ICW,

Well THAT explains it!

I'm very sorry if I came across as rather scolding in my posts. After reading your last post, it is much more clear what you are looking for and why.

The suggestions you list are all very good. However, I would steer clear of the college texts for the time being, coming to them later. The dictionary and encyclopedia articles will all help a good deal, right at the level you need. I also strongly suggest the Copland book I mentioned previously, as it was designed just for people like you, with a minimum of technical training yet needing a serious exposition of the subject. It's also a very fun, chatty read.

I would also suggest that you look for material on the history of the sonata and it evolution over time. It's a fascinating story that starts with Monteverdi and his circle in Rome and is still unfolding with us today. The typical text for this subject is Donald Grout's "A History of Western Music". But the book itself is quite dry and presupposes that you already know a good deal of theory. It is nevertheless an excellent reference, and you can pick it up used on Amazon for a buck or two.

You could also start articles in with wikipedia. A lot of the musicological entries contain very good information, and their bibliographies could be a useful starting point for further reading.

I
ICW Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thank you Laguna Greg. I like the sound of the Copland book.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by ICW
but because if I had been asking from that standpoint, this thread might've been moved to the Composers' Lounge, which seems to be inactive... so I posted here with the hopes of lots of replies.

The Composer's Lounge is definitely not inactive. Of course it'll never be as active as this, but that's because composers are a subset of pianists (here). Most of the active members are also active here, so you should get more responses here, but you may get more interesting responses there. There's no law against posting a question to both forums.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Parks
The Classical Style, by Charles Rosen
When I read that book, many years ago, it seemed interesting and reading it was worthwhile, but it was rather hard to absorb. Maybe I should pull it off the shelf and try slogging through it again - sometimes books seem very different on rereading after some years.

I've read it through several times, and often reference it. I know what you mean, it's dense. I've also met him in person and attended his lectures. Lots of knowdge there!

Michael

"Genius is nothing more than an extraordinary capacity for patience."
Leonardo da Vinci
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Donald Grout's "A History of Western Music"

Is this the one that now has Burkholder and Palisca as co-authors? My local library has it... off to indulge in BOOKS! Anything that starts with Monteverdi is fine with me smile Though I'm not the OP, thanks for the recommendation.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoStudent88
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Donald Grout's "A History of Western Music"

Is this the one that now has Burkholder and Palisca as co-authors? My local library has it... off to indulge in BOOKS! Anything that starts with Monteverdi is fine with me smile Though I'm not the OP, thanks for the recommendation.

Douglass Seaton's Ideas and Styles in the Western Musical Tradition is good, too. I like Grout's very formal, dry original edition. 😀

WhoDwaldi
Howard (by Kawai) 5' 10"
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by ICW

wr, YouTube was indeed my first resource, but I prefer something that I can hold in my hands. smile

That comment lead me to something I hadn't noticed before: Wikipedia offers some downloading and printing options in the left panel of their layout, besides just looking at the information on the screen. They even have a "book creator" which includes some sort of commercial printing option.

So, you could turn the Wikipedia "sonata form" entry into something printed, if you like it. It looks like a fairly decent overview of the subject.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission