2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
67 members (clothearednincompo, anotherscott, bwv872, andredatele, Bill McKaig,RPT, achoo42, Carey, 22 invisible), 696 guests, and 490 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
good source for digital piano ratings?
#2593474 12/09/16 05:40 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello, I'm reading Larry Fine's digital piano buying guide, but wonder if someone can suggest good sources for ratings of digital pianos. I see that Larry Fine's ratings are still only for acoustic pianos...

I'm planning to get a digital piano for daughter as holiday present, who starts getting interested in composition and also just wants to have her own piano in her room (older brother has a digital piano in his room all to himself). We have a nice grand piano for practice, so the digital piano will be mostly for fun and for composition. I'm not thinking about anything too expensive, hopefully under $1000.

Thanks in advance for recommendations.

(ad)
Sweetwater Gifts That Rock
Re: good source for digital piano ratings?
childofparadise2002 #2593480 12/09/16 06:35 PM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
If you need it for fun, than I would go with one of Casio PX series. 360 or something from 5xx range.

I reccomend this over Roland, Yamaha and Kawai, due to all bells and whistles Casio have, which you will nit find in other pianos at that range. Having grand at home, you don't need necessairly top action and sound, but something what will give your daughter lots of fun, and this is in what Casio is unbeatable.

Because I assume than for serious piano practice she will still use the acoustic you have, hence Casio would be no brainer for me in that specific case.

childofparadise2002 #2593484 12/09/16 06:58 PM
R
R
You could look at a DGX-660. Lots of features, multi-track recording, tons of voices.

childofparadise2002 #2593499 12/09/16 07:57 PM
You may well find DP reviews out there, of sorts, but do not be surprised if the upper portion of search results links to thinly veiled advertisements for particular makes and models. I do not know that there is an independent, unbiased, end-all be-all guide out there. If you put in some time searching&reading , you may find some that actually go behind the jargon and delve into some explanation of the important aspects of DPs such as types of & differences in key actions, sound system ( generator, sampling, modelling, speakers), in / out connectivity and the relevance of some of the more common among the sea of features - front panel/control, voices, polyphony, recording/playback & limitations therein, pedaling, MIDI, USB device / host, Tablet/PC/Wireless - that spawn much of the lingo.

Since you are ballparking something in a DP under $1000 for your daughter, why not spend some time reading the thread/review here on this very subject. See the thread near the top of the list in the Digital Pianos - Synths/Keyboards forum. The sweet spot will be current models from Casio, Yamaha, Roland, Kawai: Casio PX160, PX360, PX780, PX860 & PX5S; Roland F20 & FP30; Yamaha P45, P115, DGX660 & YDP103; Kawai ES100.

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubb...son_of_Portable_Digital.html#Post2167459

Last edited by drewr; 12/09/16 08:00 PM.

- Kawai MP7 w/ MDR7506 phones and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
childofparadise2002 #2593538 12/10/16 01:42 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've been amazed by the lack of bias free reviews on the matter of digital pianos myself.
One's own ears and experiences by others expounded on forums would be the closest thing to go by - though even at forums be mindful of who says what ^^

My wife works for a company that employs a dozen people who search out negative user feedback on forums about this company and spend their time mitigating these responses, and that is not an exceptional practice with most businesses today.

Roland HP605|Senheiser HD558|MSFT Surface Pro 4|coffee
childofparadise2002 #2593905 12/11/16 12:24 PM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for all the suggestions! I had no idea how much things have changed since we bought my son a Casio PX160 years ago (which is sufficient for the purpose of having fun and composing). Both kids practice piano on the grand. Good to know that the selection is probably not going to be too hard.

childofparadise2002 #2593916 12/11/16 01:26 PM
C
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
C
The situation isn't that there are lots of bad DP's, with a few good ones (or "better value" ones). It's that the industry is quite competitive, and there are _lots_ of good candidates, from Casio, Kawai, Roland, and Yamaha, in different price ranges.

Now, if you want to know the _best_ DP for a given price -- that's when arguments start. Some of the arguments are over trade-offs ("X's superior action is more important than Y's superior sound"), some are over personal taste.

A kid with a PX-360 (which has a full sound-set built in, and audio and MIDI recording), tied to a PC running Reaper (a very inexpensive, full-blown "digital audio workstation"), will have a lot of "music power" at her command. Maybe more than she can use, or maybe exactly what she needs -- depends on the kid.

Have fun deciding. If possible, get your daughter involved (unless this _absolutely has to be_ a surprise). Her taste might be different from yours.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / EV ZXA1 speaker
Charles Cohen #2593937 12/11/16 03:20 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Charles is right. There are arguments over which is best.
But you have no one to argue with! You only need to satisfy yourself.
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
Now, if you want to know the _best_ DP for a given price -- that's when arguments start.
As for piano ratings ... Many are tainted because they're written by or for a manufacturer or dealer. And many "reviews" aren't even reviews at all. They're just a rundown of specs and features, augmented with meaningless happy-happy-joy-joy talk.

So ignore the reviews and ratings. Try pianos for yourself and rate them yourself.

childofparadise2002 #2593946 12/11/16 04:09 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hi childofparadise2002,

The Piano Buyer does have a "Staff Picks" section that includes digital pianos:

http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/05b-the-new-piano-market-staff-picks.html

Also, macmacmac, we pride ourselves in having reviews written by people who do not work for manufacturers or dealers. I intentionally try not to have reviews that look like rehashed press releases...

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner looking for purchase advice
by savagekeys - 12/05/20 11:21 AM
Fazioli soundboards
by Withindale - 12/05/20 10:08 AM
Practice and resting
by Ubu - 12/05/20 05:25 AM
Strange phenomena....
by piano_primo - 12/05/20 12:55 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,279
Posts3,030,862
Members99,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission