2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
30 members (Animisha, brennbaer, Cominut, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, EVC2017, 3 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline

Please do not accuse me of paying this man to appear like this. He is a top banker in Hong Kong and I can't afford to pay anyone to do this anyway.

I have not been well received here in PW in the past, even by fellow Adult Beginners.

But if there was a world's prize for who single-handedly started the most people on piano, I will have a fair shot at it. You will hear news from China soon about what percentage of a certain city's (Yi Chang) population are playing the piano, because of my note-by-note transcription work almost every night in the last 10 years. And soon, a percentage of the 1.3 billion people in China ... and then where else but the world.

I sound like a villain here, but just look at what I am trying to do. I've tried to make some friends here for nearly 10 years. Some of you here including the mods know me well. Please, for what I am trying to bring to the world, I don't deserve the kind of treatment.

Thanks,
Jeff

OP Offline
Obviously I can't claim credit for his practices and his lessons (he even consults a concert pianist once in a while). But the wierd Hao Staff sheets provided the best bridge for him to access all of that, so that he can pursue his goals just like people who can read the standard notation well, having a go at these pieces with key signatures of multiple flats and sharps. I won't say more. Hopefully I have stopped short of being regarded as Ads again.

OP Offline
For those who don't follow what I am up to ...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jeff:

I watched the TEDx talk and I think it clarifies a lot of things. The graphics that show the grand staff morphing a bit larger into the "Hao staff" (and back and forth) was very helpful.

I am an adult beginner (5 years now) and I can see an obvious benefit to the Hao staff. It adds a graphical dimension to the grand staff that allows students to find notes more easily. The visual element is powerful and helpful.

I am sure you are aware of Synthesia which is similar, graphically oriented notes falling down like a waterfall. When I started playing a few years ago, I used Synthesia quite a bit. I still do occasionally use it to confirm what I am reading from my music scores. I imagine that the Hao staff would have helped me as well.

Anyhow, just thought that I would comment. I guess I can see some people here on Pianoworld construing your postings as advertising. I would not agree with that sentiment, because I do see the Hao Staff as an interesting evolutionary development of the grand staff.

Along with hand coordination, I think the grand staff and music notation is likely to be the greatest barrier to learning the piano. So your development of the Hao Staff is an interesting and worthwhile achievement. And worthy of chatting about it here on Pianoworld.

Best wishes and good luck with your endeavors.

Last edited by AZ_Astro; 12/10/16 06:54 AM.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeff Hao
Obviously I can't claim credit for his practices and his lessons (he even consults a concert pianist once in a while). But the wierd Hao Staff sheets provided the best bridge for him to access all of that, so that he can pursue his goals just like people who can read the standard notation well, having a go at these pieces with key signatures of multiple flats and sharps. I won't say more. Hopefully I have stopped short of being regarded as Ads again.

I would guess that the Hao Staff sheets speeded up the process of reading the music fairly significantly.

Kawai KG-5. Korg SP-250. Software pianos: Garritan CFX, Ivory II, Ivory Am D, Ravenscroft, Galaxy Vintage D, Alicia's Keys, et al.
[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thank you AZ_Astro for taking the time to comment, and yes you understand me well.

I am aware of Synthesia (or waterfall), and various other digital tech based hardware and software, e.g. following the lit keys, etc.

On a pure speculation basis, I think the difference is whether the human brain is proactive or passive in the exercise. When the brain is reading from a sheet and then finding notes to play, the brain is proactive, and hence more effective in understanding the patterns of the notes and memorizing. When playing with Synthesia and lit keys, the human is passively following, hence less effective in learning to play. But again, speculation only as I have not conducted tests.

The other thing is the information loss. The expressions, staccatos, legato, crescendo, diminuendo, etc. The music notation system is so rich that it is almost impossible for the tech-based gadgets to reproduce and communicate that more effectively than a piece of paper. My project (Hao Staff sheets), on the other hand, preserves EVERYTHING, because I diligently make it that way. So when you play Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin with them, you are getting exactly the same information as the standard notation readers get.

It is quite a project. And I am devoting the rest of my life to it.

On the point of whether I am advertising on PW or not, I am in a tricky position. This is a forum, so any information by the inventor himself would be the best source of information about this new invention and the latest development of it. This would be of great value to the forum users who would benefit from it if they hear about it. However, every time I open my mouth, you know what happens.

It is ironic that I am invited to speak at forums and industry expos elsewhere (e.g. the 2016 Music China Expo in Shanghai in Oct), and yet banned and modded here at the PW.

I understand from the forum owner's point of view. But I am not the usual spammer. I am trying to leave this world a legacy that will benefit generations of people for as long as the piano exists. There will ALWAYS be people who have not learned to read the standard notation when they were young. Always.

J
J
You mustn't be bothered by the busy bodies who pretend to be the staunch friends of the owner. They bark when the owner sees them as mad dogs.

They are sycophants.

Last edited by Just Steven; 12/10/16 09:53 AM.
OP Offline
I was invited to appear on China's national CCTV's English channel recently. Due to my poor speed of speech in this particular language, I did not manage to talk a lot among my fellow guests. But the gist is there.

I am not trying to show off or anything. Just trying to get people and the forum owner understand better what I am doing.

W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W

Your post is very puzzling to me. Please clarify

>Please do not accuse me of paying this man to appear like this. He is a top banker in Hong Kong and I can't afford to pay anyone to do this anyway.

so why do you plug him then?

>I have not been well received here in PW in the past, even by fellow Adult Beginners.

Well, nice start of a post. What's your point ? You want to rectify something? Are you blaming us? For what?

>what percentage of a certain city's (Yi Chang) population are playing the piano, because of my note-by-note transcription work almost every night in the last 10 years

I don't follow. Are you claiming fame? By referring a yet-to-appear announcement on chinese news (if I can even read it)? Should we give you honours right here?

>I sound like a villain here, but just look at what I am trying to do. I've tried to make some friends here for nearly 10 years. Some of you here including the mods know me well. Please, for what I am trying to bring to the world, I don't deserve the kind of treatment.

Ok, I looked, and I got no clue. I got that you are writing transcription work but I did not get beyond that. Again, what treatment are you complaining about?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
I watched your TEDx talk and found it fascinating. I find the grand staff to be ridiculously abstract and I am sure that fighting it for the first few years hurt my progress. Now me, I want to learn to read the same music that the people on other instruments (who can read) use. So this isn't for me but I wish you luck. I could use some myself because learning the standard notation in my neo geriatric years is brutal!

OP Offline
I don't follow. Are you claiming fame? By referring a yet-to-appear announcement on chinese news (if I can even read it)? Should we give you honours right here?

Yes, please, if I can have those pretty medals of yours, Wouter smile

I don't know why I wrote those words in my IP. I guess I felt like this post was a continuation of the past threads where I had to leave because my work were being misunderstood, and my posts of explanations were being deleted by mods. You can still find those threads. So in my mind I was expecting the IP to be given the same treatment.

I am paranoid now, I must admit.

So why do I still come back to PW? Well, first of all, I can't find another site where so many piano lovers from the world congregate. I love it for that. And I don't hate it or the people here. I am just frustrated that I can't properly and freely communicate my work and correct people's misunderstanding here.

My work is a new form of notation for adult scratch beginners to shortcut training the reflexes required for the standard notation, and not missing out on anything that the standard notation carries. It was named after me and called "Hao Staff" (with reference to Grand Staff). It is explained in my Tedx talk above.

I apologize for my paranoia and did not mean to offend anyone here. Pardon me.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
The problem you have Hao, is that this is your invention/product and you stand to gain financially through sales of the product.

You are promoting it and that is an AD. There is no other way of looking at it.

If some anonymous user was bringing it to us because he/she loved it, that would be different. That would be an endorsement wholly presented without encouragement from the owner of the product.

Sorry ... this is a commercial AD.

P.S. I do not find the Grand Staff such a problem to understand and utilize so I see no need for your product and would never use it. But that is just me.

Good Luck

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In a very quick look at the Hao staff and the videos, is this not similar to a midi piano roll; or, as pointed out, a horizontal representation of Synthesia? Where is the innovation? What makes this different?

At the same time, I am curious. I may transcribe some music and see what happens.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dmd

P.S. I do not find the Grand Staff such a problem to understand and utilize so I see no need for your product

I agree. You still need to match a symbol (note on a line) to a physical key. The Grand Staff does the same very thing.

Kawai MP11 : JBL LSR305 : Focusrite 2i4 : Pianoteq / Garritan CFX

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. -Willy Wonka

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thank you, Tom. Just one small point to clarify. Hao Staff does not have to shortcut KNOWING the standard notation. It only shortcuts the long process of training to gain the necessary reflexes, including covering all the key signatures.

For the UNDERSTANDING standard notation part, it is not that big a deal. 10 minutes? 30 minutes? I can teach any adult about the theory of standard notation (lines and spaces and sharps and flats) in 10 minutes. And for my work I have turned myself into an expert in understanding the standard notation. I have typed loads of original scores on Sibelius. So I do "know" the standard notation, which every musician no matter what instrument uses.

But, I can't read it fast enough when I try to play the piano. So I use my own Hao Staff, to learn my Chopin Nocturnes like the guy in the IP Youtube video does. The two Staffs do not have to be one or another. It should be standard notation for as far as one can go in reading, and then let Hao Staff help you go as far as you can go IN PLAYING.

B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
On the point of whether I am advertising on PW or not, I am in a tricky position. This is a forum, so any information by the inventor himself would be the best source of information about this new invention and the latest development of it. This would be of great value to the forum users who would benefit from it if they hear about it.

You are promoting a product and a web site from which you derive revenue. This is known as advertising.

Regardless of your opinion of the value of your method and product and despite the fact that you consider yourself "the best source of information", posting testimonials is known as advertising.

I suspect that the purveyors of the numerous other piano methods would also think of themselves as the best source of information. They are not permitted to advertise for free on Piano World either. Many of them are discussed here (Alfreds, Piano Adventures, PopPianoPro, to name but a few) by unaffiliated people who use the methods and those are welcome. Posts by the creators/purveyors promoting their product are not.

It's as simple as that.

I understand from the forum owner's point of view. But I am not the usual spammer.

Actually, you are.

Nearly all of the creators of the above mentioned methods have also made brief appearances on PW promoting their product. They were dealt with in exactly the same way as you so please stop posting about how you are misunderstood and treated unfairly.

And with that, this thread is closed. Since I'm not deleting it you've once again been successful in advertising your product.

Greg

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission