2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Edited to show final date and time of the gathering - Robert H

Edited title to show that recap and pictures have been added - Robert H

Hi all,...

This is a follow up to this thread:
Iowa thread in the Party forum

I would like to host a piano gathering at our house in Ames, IA. Thanks to so many help from PW members I just purchased a Mason & Hamlin model A for the family late last year. So my wife and I thought that it would be great to have a 'piano-warming' gathering and share our piano with other PW members in the area. We would be honored to have other pianists who are undoubtedly much more accomplished than us play our piano, enjoy some refreshments and casual conversations at our house:)

So I would like to invite all members in Iowa and surrounding states.

Ames, IA is a nice little college-town in the middle of Iowa,... It is within 3 hours drive from Kansas City, MO, Minneapolis, MN, Omaha, NE,and the Quad Cities, IA/IL.

When: Saturday May 3, 2008 - 12:00-4:30p.m.

Our piano will be freshly tuned on May 1, 2008 and we will prepare some food and beverages so you don't have to bring anything other than yourself and some sheet music if you want to. Family and friends are welcome too,...

If you can make it,... please RSVP via PM so my wife know how much food to prepare. I will also send out directions to our house via PM.

For people who are coming from out of state,... here are some other activities around this weekend:

Christopher O'Riley Master Class
Friday May 2, 2008 - 4:00-6:00p.m.

Des Moines Symphony: Celebration Finale
- Sibelius Symphony No. 7
- Ravel Piano Concerto in G - Christopher O'Riley
- Saint-Saens organ Symphony No. 3
Saturday May 3, 2008 - 8:00p.m.
Sunday May 4, 2008 - 2:30p.m.

Christopher O'Riley is the host of "From the Top" show on NPR. Bio & Web Site.

Pella Tulip Time Festival
Wednesday April 30 - Sunday May 4, 2008

While it's not piano related,... Pella Tulip Time is a fun annual spring celebration in the area. Here's a little blurb from the web site:

Join us each spring for a unique festival of beauty with the display of millions of tulips and celebration of Dutch heritage and culture through dance, art, theatre, and so much more! Our goal is to continue to host one of the best small town festivals in the country with events like; 3 exciting parades, Klompen Dancing, big name entertainment, free concerts, music and variety shows, Dutch market, trolley tours, children’s events, fireworks and so much more!

Please let us know in your RSVP if you would like to go to any of these other events,... if there are enough interest I can organize a group trip and getting the tickets in advance

I hope to see some of you this at the gathering! smile

Regards,

Robert

Mason & Hamlin - A - 92514
Roland A-90 EX
"When you fall down,... pick up something!"
OP Offline
bump

Roland A-90 EX

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I think it's terrific you're willing to host a party, hidajat. Wish I were closer so I could go.

Monica -- I'll chip in for a tank of gas (even if you drive a Chevy Suburban) if you attend and show us all how a M&H A can sound!

Mason & Hamlin A (2006); Yamaha P140
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I thought I'd bump this during the week to see if I could spur some additional posts from week day readers. C'mon Iowa folks we need to hear from you if you want this event to happen. The symphony concert will be awesome as they're doing the Ravel G major Concerto, and the Saint Saens C minor and the Sibelius 7th Symphonies. But you don't have to have a symphony ticket to go to the party! Are there no Iowa lurkers here????

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
OP Offline
Another bump,...
Steve,... we may have to send out a few PMs this week,...

Roland A-90 EX
OP Offline
Hi all,...

I just received a PM from RonaldSteinway who might be able to make it from as far away as Chicago!! That's about a 6 hours drive!

Anybody else from Iowa?

I really would like to host this party for PW members,... but if we don't get enough people I might take Kenny's suggestion and talk to some piano teachers in the area to see if they have adult students who may be interested in coming.

Regards,

Robert

Roland A-90 EX
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Remember to take pictures! That is a requirement of all piano parties!!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
OP Offline
Hi all,...

This is the official invitation to all PW members from Iowa and surrounding states to our piano gathering coming up in a couple of weeks.

When : Saturday May 3, 2008 - 12:00 - 4:30p.m.
Where: our house in Ames, IA
Piano : our Mason & Hamlin A

Our piano will be freshly tuned on May 1, 2008 and we will prepare some food and beverages so you don't have to bring anything other than yourself and some sheet music if you want to. Family and friends are welcome too,...

If you can make it,... please RSVP via PM so my wife know how much food to prepare. I will also send out directions to our house via PM.

For people who are coming from out of state,... here are some other activities around this weekend:

Christopher O'Riley Master Class
Friday May 2, 2008 - 4:00-6:00p.m.

Des Moines Symphony Celebration Finale
- Sibelius Symphony No. 7
- Ravel Piano Concerto in G - Christopher O'Riley
- Saint-Saens organ Symphony No. 3
Saturday May 3, 2008 - 8:00p.m.
Sunday May 4, 2008 - 2:30p.m.

Pella Tulip TimeFestival
Wednesday April 30 - Sunday May 4, 2008

Please let us know in your RSVP if you would like to go to any of these other events,... if there are enough interest I can organize a group trip and getting the tickets in advance.

I hope to see you at the gathering smile

Regards,

Robert

p.s. Rich,... we'll definitely take some pictures smile

Roland A-90 EX
OP Offline
Bump,...

How about a peaceful and argument-less gathering anyone? smile

Regards,

Robert

Roland A-90 EX
OP Offline
Hi all,...

The gathering is coming up pretty soon,...

Thanks to all who have sent in their RSVPs,... I've sent out directions to our house via e-mail/PM,... please let me know if you have any questions,...

Those who have not sent in their RSVP yet,... please send it in by this Thursday,...

My wife and I are looking forward to see you all this weekend! smile

Regards,

Robert

Roland A-90 EX
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So... how was the first PW gathering in Iowa???

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think they are all still recovering from the hangover. :p

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

OP Offline
Hi all,...

It went very well,... we definitely had a great time thanks to everybody who took the time to attend and grace our house with great music! We really appreciate it.

My wife, Lia, was pretty confident earlier in the day and played a few songs,... but as soon as the other PW members started playing,... wow,... we're blown away and she doesn't want to play anymore smile

Another thing we learned is that pianists don't eat very much,... we probably had over 3 pounds of bbq pork and beef left over!

We had a busy Sunday too,... our daughter were baptized and we have some family visiting,... so I haven't had a chance to get the pictures from the gathering downloaded to my PC and put together a post,...

I'll put it together tonight,... stay tuned,...

Regards,

Robert

Roland A-90 EX
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Robert,

We had a good time. I tried to eat, but there was just so much. I could barely make a dent and with the M&H A beckoning I didn't have as much time. Tell Lia the two of you were gracious hosts and we enjoyed ourselves, but the only way to get better is to practice. Hopefully she'll hear the siren song of your instrument calling to her from the music room saying, "Play me."

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
OP Offline
Hi all,...

Here comes some pictures and recap from the gathering:)

The gathering went well,... I was a bit worried about the weather at first because since I started checking almost 2 weeks ago the forecast have mostly been rain and thunderstorm,... But I was glad that it ended up being a wonderful sunny day,... with a bit of a cool breeze,...

Due to some last minute conflicts not everybody was able to make it,... I really appreciate those who were able to come,... Including my family we had about 20 people at the gathering,...

I had some name tags out so it's easier for people to get to know each other and I put together a little PW flyer to recruit the non-members smile

[Linked Image]

We had some local BBQ beef and pork from Battle\'s Bar-B-Q and local wine from Prairie Moon Winery as well as various munchies and some home made green tea cake for dessert,... Sorry I forgot to take a picture of the food,... smile

Here are some pictures of people enjoying some food and conversation before they started playing the piano,...

L to R: Tomasino who came all the way from Minneapolis, Potter (John) from Le Grand, IA, Mark my neighbor accross the street smile , and Mrs. Potter (Carole)

[Linked Image]

L to R: Mark's wife Carolyn, our family friend Valentina who has 2 kids taking piano lessons, and my wife Lia

[Linked Image]

Roland A-90 EX
OP Offline
Some people starting to take our M&H for a spin. Sorry the window and the bright sunny day outside doesn't let me take the best pictures,...

Potter started off with Clair De Lune and Brahm's Intermezzo
[Linked Image]

Tomasino played some very nice Goldberg Arias and Schubert
[Linked Image]

Steve Chandler played a lot of his own original songs,... you guys should check it out on his web sites,... I especially like his Steve Light songs!
[Linked Image]

Ruth played many beautiful songs including some Sonatinas and some Gershwin hits
[Linked Image]

Tom, my piano technician, played a few very nice jazz pieces
[Linked Image]

Edit to add:

My wife, Lia, also played some Yanni and Richard Clayderman songs,... but I didn't take her picture frown

Roland A-90 EX
OP Offline
Some pictures of the audience,...

L to R: Tomasino, Carole, Steve C (playing), Ruth, Lia, and me in the corner
[Linked Image]

L to R: Me and Ruth mesmerized by beautiful piano songs

[Linked Image]

Nina,... 4 months old now and my mother-in-law who are in town
[Linked Image]

And,... toward the end of the day Tomasino, Steve, Lia and Ruth singing along to some Gershwin hits,... If I remembered correctly,... "They Can't Take That Away From Me",... and a couple others,... Steve please remind me,...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Roland A-90 EX
OP Offline
Ok,... Overall a great day I thought,... our family enjoyed it immensely.

We want to express our thanks again to everyone who decided not to throw away my invitation to the junk mail folder (thanks Potter smile ) and took the time out of their weekend to enjoy and share some food, great piano music and conversation with strangers who share a love for piano. Thank you for giving our piano a great workout!!

Now that everybody know that we don't bite and nobody disappeared mysteriously after the gathering, hopefully more people will be open to come to the next one laugh

I'm thinking that the next one should be a bit later into the spring season when it's sweet corn season here in Iowa,... so we can enjoy some really great Iowa steamed and grilled sweet corns!!

Regards,

Robert

Roland A-90 EX
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Robert H:
[QB] Now that everybody know that we don't bite and nobody disappeared mysteriously after the gathering, hopefully more people will be open to come to the next one laugh
More people? Looks to me like you had quite a group there!!! One recent get together local at Jeanne W's we had 3 and we had a great time!

Thanks for sharing the pics and event with us. BTW, do you play too? (didn't read back through all the posts - was just looking for the pics!)

I loved seeing that people stood around the piano and sang. It reminds me of the 'good ole days'.

thumb

BTW, RUTH....what is that on your shirt?

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission