2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, 9 invisible), 1,861 guests, and 332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by emenelton
Originally Posted by Mike A
This is a blues ... not in 12-bar form, but a blues just the same. The Eb7 is a straight-up blues chord, IV7, every place it appears in the tune.

I noticed you referred to the Eb7 as a IV7.

If you had to describe bars 13-18(through the second ending); with Roman Numerals, how would you?

||: I7 - - - | IV7 - - - | I7 - - - | I7 - V7 - |

| I - I7/b7 - | [ii7 - V7]/V - | V7 - V7/V - | V7 - - - |

| I7 - - - | I7 - - - | IV7 - - - | #IVdim7 - - - |

| I7/5 - [V7/VI]/3 - |

1: | vi7 - IV7 - | ii7 - V7 - | I - - - :||

2: | vi7 - IV7 - | I/5 - [V7/VI]/3 - | vi7 - IV7 - | I/5 - [V7/VI]/3 |

| vi7 - IV7 - | ii7 - V7 - | I - - - ||

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by dire tonic
If you look at the third beat of the forth measure of Misty, you'll see a dom. 7th. functioning the same way.

So, with Misty in 'C' you mean the Bb7 leading back to the Cma7.

Earlier, you say
...it does however, 'get you back to the tonic' when it resolves directly to the temporary tonal center of F(Bb/F)

But I take the tonal centre of Bb/F here as Bb, in which case we have Eb7 -> Bb, which isn't the same thing as your Misty change, above.

This is not at all the same as Misty. The 4th measure of Misty is a "backdoor dominant" approach to I, subdominant minor function. Not a blues IV7.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

If you had to describe bars 13-18(through the second ending); with Roman Numerals, how would you?

| I7/5 - [V7/VI]/3 - |

2: | vi7 - IV7 - | I/5 - [V7/VI]/3 - | vi7 - IV7 - | I/5 - [V7/VI]/3 |

| vi7 - IV7 - | ii7 - V7 - | I - - - ||

Thanks for doing that. Are you content with it? To me it does not resemble a chord progression I've ever seen.

Take the backdoor dominant approach from Misty and re-analyze.

J
jjo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by jjo

That ending, in effect, starts a turnaround, aborts it, and starts it over again. The Eb7 served the function of getting you back to the tonic to start the turnaround again.

That, however, doesn't explain it's function in the first ending.

I'm not trying to be unclear but trying to start a conversation.
Nahum(sp) defined it's function correctly in the first ending. In the second ending the first two times it appears it has a different but all together common function.

In the 2nd ending the turn around is not started and then aborted either, also the Eb7 doesn't get you back to the tonic in the first ending, it is just a borrowed dominant resolving to cm7(per Nahum), it does however, 'get you back to the tonic' when it resolves directly to the temporary tonal center of F(Bb/F) in the second ending. That two bar progression appears three times in a row in the second ending; the third time heading into the turn-around.

My question is; what do you think the chord progression is in the 2nd ending?

The discussion of one is intertwined with the other.

I'll try to give my thoughts:

1. I hear the second ending as:
Turn around begins: I III7 iv -- pretty standard, except the III is dominant.
Instead of the expected ii chord, however, the turnaround "aborts," using the IV7 to get you back to the tonic
The exact same sequence repeats twice.
The last time, however, after the odd IV7 chord, you go to the ii V to finish the turnaround.

This isn't a theoretical explanation; this is how I hear it. I hear a turnaround that is interrupted and then started over again.

2. I don't understand your comment or Nahum's that the Eb7 is a borrowed dominant that gets you to the C minor (the ii) chord. I'm not criticizing this; I just don't know what you mean. I don't know what a "borrowed" dominant is.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Are you content with it?

Yes.

To me it does not resemble a chord progression I've ever seen.

You seem troubled by Eb7 analyzing as IV7, rather than a V7 of something else, like bVII. But that's one of the characteristics of the blues. IV7 is dominant in form (likewise I7), but doesn't have the normal dominant resolution. So it analyzes simply as IV7.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jjo

2. I don't understand your comment or Nahum's that the Eb7 is a borrowed dominant that gets you to the C minor (the ii) chord. I'm not criticizing this; I just don't know what you mean. I don't know what a "borrowed" dominant is.

Good question. Nahum answered it before. The Eb7 resolved down a perfect 5th. to Abmaj7, the iii7 of Abmaj7 is a standard substitution. The Eb7 in this case allows a nice dominant splash of color(with a standard dominant function)between the vi7 and ii7.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Take the backdoor dominant approach from Misty and re-analyze.

I don't know what you're asking. The Eb7 in Groove Merchant is not a backdoor dominant approach to anything, and can't be analyzed as such. It's a blues IV7. The "backdoor dominant" is bVII7.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
The Eb7 resolved down a perfect 5th. to Abmaj7, the iii7 of Abmaj7 is a standard substitution. The Eb7 in this case allows a nice dominant splash of color(with a standard dominant function)between the vi7 and ii7.

Just to state the obvious, I disagree. Eb7 is not functioning as V7/bVII here. It's a blues IV7. IMO.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E

You seem troubled by Eb7 analyzing as IV7, rather than a V7 of something else, like bVII. But that's one of the characteristics of the blues. IV7 is dominant in form (likewise I7), but doesn't have the normal dominant resolution. So it analyzes simply as IV7.

Mike,

I have no problem with the IV7 in blues but I just would ask that you consider that referencing standard I7-IV7 sections of songs and thinking that they are the same as the turn-arounds and vamps as discussed in Groove Merchant is comparing apples to oranges.

One time - treat the Eb7 as a back door dominant and analyze.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I have no problem with the IV7 in blues but I just would ask that you consider that referencing standard I7-IV7 sections of songs and thinking that they are the same as the turn-arounds and vamps as discussed in Groove Merchant is comparing apples to oranges.

Sorry, either I just don't understand what you're saying or, more likely, we disagree, which is of course fine.

One time - treat the Eb7 as a back door dominant and analyze.

Misty measure 4 is an example of this progression: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backdoor_progression It doesn't appear in Groove Merchant.

J
jjo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Emenelton: Got it. I sat down at the keyboard (in my office!) and played a dominant chord that resolved down to a minor chord a minor third lower (E.g., D7 to B-7), which is what Nahum was suggesting. It actually sounds reasonably good. Not quite a smooth as a typical V-I, but it seems to work.

Perhaps it works well in this particular turnaround because it has the III chord (after the tonic) as a dominant, which is a nice, bluesy, sound. Yet, the III7 leads naturally to a minor ii chord (G-7 in this case). It's nice to inject another dominant chord in the sequence, thus the Eb7.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jjo
Emenelton: Got it. I sat down at the keyboard (in my office!) and played a dominant chord that resolved down to a minor chord a minor third lower (E.g., D7 to B-7), which is what Nahum was suggesting. It actually sounds reasonably good. Not quite a smooth as a typical V-I, but it seems to work.

Perhaps it works well in this particular turnaround because it has the III chord (after the tonic) as a dominant, which is a nice, bluesy, sound. Yet, the III7 leads naturally to a minor ii chord (G-7 in this case). It's nice to inject another dominant chord in the sequence, thus the Eb7.

Your example of D7 to bmi7 is in the key of A.

That Eb7 in the first ending gives a nice dominant color splash that's outside the key center but resolves in a mainstream manner to the ii7/cm7, so it adds color but fits right in. The gm7 goes down a fifth naturally to the cm7 but the Eb7, in between them, resolves to the same cm7 in a stronger fashion.

Starting on the 13th bar into the 2nd ending the tonal center shifts to the V major.

This progression's tonal center is F:

I sus4 (this is a major sus4 chord with an added 6th.) - VI7 - ii7 - lowered VII dominant.

It does it three times in a row.

Or simply I-VI-ii-V7 (with the flat-VII dominant substituting as a back door dominant for the V7, I refer to this chord as a modal exchange) You can vamp on it all day until you finally decide to take door #1 out from your last Eb7 and hit the ii7-V7-I (cm7-F7-Bb7) in the tonic key to wrap up the song.

Eb7 functions in 3 different ways in Groove Merchant:

as a typical IV7 blues chord (Mike A)
as a borrowed dominate when it leads to the cm7 (Nahum)
as a modal exchange(back door dominant thanks MA) when it resolves up a whole step to F-sus4-add6 (per me)

excuse me I have to go back to the dentist now and have more teeth pulled! LOL

N
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
N
Don't believe to the Real books - it is cheating and causing unnecessary disputes! Here's an extract directly from the score (A tone below):

[Linked Image]

It is clear that Db7 (Eb7) simply approach chord to Do (Edim) without specific function.

Last edited by Nahum; 12/09/16 05:55 AM.
J
jjo Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
emenelton: Thanks, and I fully understand the three views. You're last comment reminded my of my piano teacher, who is mostly self-taught. When I mention one of these esoteric theory discussion she always asks: "And does it help you play better?"

Nahum: I think your chords are from the Thad Jones arrangement? While that's the most famous version of the piece, I'm not sure it reflects the "correct" chords.

Here's another lead sheet to look at, which does suggest Db7 for the Eb7: http://freejazzinstitute.com/uploads/20090929073744_HalfNelson.pdf

E
E
In the 2nd ending, the Eb7 serves as a plain old IV7 in a Bb blues. It is indeed an interrupted resolution trying to get back home to Bb, which in this context sounds good (as do all 'endless' turnarounds). It is sprinkled in for a bluesy taste. No other function.

Last edited by erichlof; 12/09/16 01:26 PM. Reason: Mistake about Db7 (my bad)
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by jjo
emenelton: Thanks, and I fully understand the three views. You're last comment reminded my of my piano teacher, who is mostly self-taught. When I mention one of these esoteric theory discussion she always asks: "And does it help you play better?"

Nahum: I think your chords are from the Thad Jones arrangement? While that's the most famous version of the piece, I'm not sure it reflects the "correct" chords.

Here's another lead sheet to look at, which does suggest Db7 for the Eb7: http://freejazzinstitute.com/uploads/20090929073744_HalfNelson.pdf

That chart is essentially the same chords. The #f is the same as the D7. For me it does help me play better. When I can understand that second ending as a I-VI7-ii7-VII7 Thats' a basic vamp that should be really familiar, so I'll practice it until I hear that familiarity.

Even Nahum's latest example does reinforce that the tonal center has moved to the fifth degree for the first six bars of the second ending.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by erichlof
In the 2nd ending, the Eb7 serves as a plain old IV7 in a Bb blues. It is indeed an interrupted resolution trying to get back home to Bb, which in this context sounds good (as do all 'endless' turnarounds). It is sprinkled in for a bluesy taste. No other function.

That was really nice. Thanks for posting it. Are you saying the chord before the cm7, 4 measures from the end of the 2nd ending, is a Db7 and not an Eb7?

E
E
Hi emenelton, at first I thought I heard a Db7 in the original track, slipping down to a C7. That would be a classic tritone substitution dominant for G7. Upon closer inspection of the original recording however, they are indeed playing an Eb7, which in this case because of the extended blues form (16 bar blues rather than 12 bar blues), functions as a plain old IV7 wherever it pops up. It makes the listener want to hear the resolution to Bb, but denies that, instead moving to either C7, or in the case of the 2nd ending, Bb/F - which is not really a definite resolution.

Typically the same technique is used in classical period instrumental concertos. Right before the big solo cadenza, you will hear a Eb - Bb/F in the case of a concerto in Bb Major. It's 'sort of' satisfying, but leads you on a continuing path through the soloist's cadenza, until the final definite resolution of Bb at the end of the form.

E
E
As a side note: Looks like the composer for The Jeffersons TV show theme song listened to Groove Merchant as well:

Another classic example of the 16-bar blues form. I used to watch this show all the time growing up, never realized the form until today, ha ha! laugh

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by erichlof
plain old IV7 wherever it pops up

Exactly.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission