2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
69 members (Cutec, 36251, brendon, butchkoch, cozmopak, Clayman, 18 invisible), 476 guests, and 454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
PopJazzOnline Anyone ?
#2592912 12/07/16 05:54 PM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
I have come upon a website ....

https://www.popjazzonline.com/

I can find nothing about it anywhere except on his site(s).

Anyone here know anything about it ?

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: PopJazzOnline Anyone ?
dmd #2593260 12/08/16 08:24 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Never heard of it before, so have no first-hand knowledge.

But, after looking thru the website and watching the video, I wasn't too impressed. IMO - two of the four views in his lesson videos are useless, the slow-down feature that he demonstrated appeared blurry to me, and it's a bit pricey for what appears to be a maximum of three lessons/month (only one new lesson provided to you every ten days).

Just my opinion.

Bert
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
dmd #2593558 12/10/16 05:07 AM
J
J
I just found about them the other day while looking for Bossa Nova learning material. Today I downloaded there free Bossa Nova Exercises by Gjermund Silvertsen. I will hold off on comments about them until I learn more. Let me just say, being the cheap skate (poor man) that I am I download free material that they use as a hook to get new students. Then between a great forum like this and U-Tube I get mostly free lessons. I occasionally have to purchase a book. I am getting brave so I now want to add some jazz, mostly stride and bassa nova to my playing ability.

newbert #2593604 12/10/16 10:20 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by newbert
Never heard of it before, so have no first-hand knowledge.

But, after looking thru the website and watching the video, I wasn't too impressed.
I also don't know anything about this site. However, from my experience, at numerous meetings with Scandinavian jazz and pop musicians and students have always been impressed by their high level of professionalism; and this applies to all instruments . So confident that the above-mentioned online school is also on a high professional level.
BTW, my first jazz lessons on the air (Internet didn't exist yet) was in the 60s from Swedish radio station Radio Nord.

Last edited by Nahum; 12/10/16 10:21 AM.
dmd #2593637 12/10/16 12:57 PM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, I have subscribed to the basic level.

What I now know is that it is not for beginners. It is for intermediate or at least late beginners.

I will leave any other comments for after I have experienced at least the first 3 lessons (20 days from now). That will give me a some idea of the quality of the product.

So, for anyone interested I will post my take on it at that time.

Last edited by dmd; 12/10/16 12:58 PM.

Don

Casio PX-S1000, Focal Professional CMS 40 near-field monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq and numerous other VSTs (Seldom Used), Focus Rite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
dmd #2593647 12/10/16 01:30 PM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
I looked some more materials. Pianist undoubtedly a very professional, knows that does, exactly complies styles - just one that is worth studying with him . And believe me, I do not get from him any dividends.

dmd #2593784 12/11/16 12:54 AM
J
J
I looked this site over yesterday and agree it is probably a good site. I will be interested in hearing what dmd has to say after his three months on the course. It seems expensive to me because for the last twenty years I have lived in Asia where prices are a fraction of American prices. Otherwise I do not believe it is too expensive. I do not know about other parts of the world. In Philippines I paid a professional performing pianist 500 piso's for a three hour lesson, once a week. At the time that equaled approximately $12.50 for three hours.

dmd #2602208 01/08/17 02:48 PM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, here it is .... my take on this after 1 month.

I only saw 4 lessons so I have a very limited set of material from which to judge.

I believe this is designed for late intermediate players who have decided to go into the jazz world and need direction.

It tells you exactly what you should be practicing (drills, tunes, etc ...) and provides more than enough material to keep you busy for the 10 day period between lessons.

I believe that if you are able to do what you are given as homework, you will progress quickly in the jazz genre.

I chose to pull out within the 30-day warranty period and receive my initial fee back. They agreed to return that fee with no problem.

In general, I think it is a good source of instruction ... just a bit too fast for my skill set.

If you are a solid intermediate player and interested in the jazz genre, this might be a very good spot for you.

Don

dmd #2854870 06/02/19 09:13 AM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I would like to revive this thread as I have just joined PopJazzonline. Is anyone else on PW enrolled or following Gjermund Sivertsen on YouTube?

So far I am impressed. There is a lot covered in each lesson. That is why you need 10 days to complete it. There is a practice section where you play what you learned with the (virtual) teacher. All to insure you have absorbed the information before moving on to the next lesson. Compared to other lesson programs I have used, including both online and in person teachers, this seems better structured. One thing that attracted me is his theory that you should spend your time learning what YOU want to play at the piano. At my age, I don't want to spend a lot of time learning to play with a bass player. Or how to play BeBop. Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm interested in yours.

Kawai NV10
ˆTomLCˆ #2868924 07/13/19 08:02 AM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by TomLC
I would like to revive this thread as I have just joined PopJazzonline. Is anyone else on PW enrolled or following Gjermund Sivertsen on YouTube?

So far I am impressed. There is a lot covered in each lesson. That is why you need 10 days to complete it. There is a practice section where you play what you learned with the (virtual) teacher. All to insure you have absorbed the information before moving on to the next lesson. Compared to other lesson programs I have used, including both online and in person teachers, this seems better structured. One thing that attracted me is his theory that you should spend your time learning what YOU want to play at the piano. At my age, I don't want to spend a lot of time learning to play with a bass player. Or how to play BeBop. Anyway, that's my take on it. I'm interested in yours.

Hi Tom,

I am curious as to your "take" on it after nearly a month and a half.

My guess would be that you are no longer a member of it.

Am I right ?

Don

dmd #2868946 07/13/19 10:05 AM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Don, Yes you are right. wink I compared this to Open Studio, JazzPianoOnline, and Piano with Willy (Which I still have). I actually like all of them. I decided on Open Studio for now at least. The beginning Jazz course is actually for intermediate piano players who want to learn jazz/blues improvisation. I find it challenging and so far holding my interest.

Kawai NV10
ˆTomLCˆ #2868968 07/13/19 11:22 AM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by TomLC
Don, Yes you are right. wink I compared this to Open Studio, JazzPianoOnline, and Piano with Willy (Which I still have). I actually like all of them. I decided on Open Studio for now at least. The beginning Jazz course is actually for intermediate piano players who want to learn jazz/blues improvisation. I find it challenging and so far holding my interest.

I am not surprised.

I subscribed to JazzPianoOnline for 1 month just to see what it was.

I found it to be filled with practice intensive drilling on things which take enormous amounts of time and dedication.

I estimated it might take me 6 months (or more) to master things in the first 4 lessons and there was no assurance that I ever would.

I saw no point in continuing to pay for additional lessons when I was not going to complete the ones I already had.

So, I quit.

If I ever feel I can move on past those first 4 lessons, I might try starting again (for a month) on lesson 5.

Don

dmd #2917684 11/29/19 11:41 AM
G
gmr Offline
G
Hi,

There is a bunch of blackfriday offers today, for both,
https://www.openstudiojazz.com/piano - $180 access to all courses lifetime. (50% discount)
https://popjazzonline.securechkout.com/BlackKeysAndBlackFriday2019-lifetimedeal = $327 annual.

I've looked for youtube videos everywhere, but, I miss having an well structured course that I know what I have to do next.
Wonder if the openstudiojazz would do it (since it is way cheaper).

Will decide by the end of the day smile

dmd #2917699 11/29/19 12:11 PM
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I liked Open Studio, however after a few months I got bored with it. The first several lessons are learning some popular blues arrangements and then trying to improvise using the blues chord progressions. He moves very quickly through whole concepts and leaves it to you to understand them, practice them, and transpose them into other chords. Just my opinion, but I didn't think it was helpful to me. I now have a live teacher. We are working on voice leading. So playing chords in the inversion that sounds and works best with added tensions. I think that is more useful as I have to think up my own chords (with the root when playing solo piano) as I move through the song. I try not to notate the notes I play on the score, so each time I go through it I may play a different inversion with different tensions. Also, very inexpensive, you can look at the Sudnow Method. It basically teaches the same thing in a different way. PopJazzOnline is a good option similar to many others including Jazz Edge. The most impression web site program I have seen is Artist Works. Hugh Sung teaches popular piano which starts out very basic but builds to more intermediate. Not chord based from what I have seen so far. The more advanced jazz piano program is, again like others, focused of the blues.

Kawai NV10
dmd #2917852 11/29/19 06:48 PM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Open Studio - Covers topics in broad strokes/giant steps. Not enough hand holding.

PopJazzOnline - It has been quite a while since I tried that one. I remember if being very difficult and I soon quit with it.

Sudnow Method - Shows you which keys to press …. with very little useful theory accompanying it.

Jazz Edge - Tons of material to choose from. Willie (owner) makes sincere attempt to help you navigate through it. Periodic online group interactions for questions.

Don

dmd #2944882 02/09/20 06:30 PM
Hello

Heres my experience i am jazz oriented

I take lessons on popjazzonline

this is a very special method and pretty expensive for what you get
the principe is ok you have to finish a lesson before getting to next , it is a step to step lessons with some interesting ideas
But it is so blocked that whatever level you are you get the same steps , no lessons to skip or another material than this lessons weeks after weeks

No other internet interaction no forum ... arg wasnt for me

I get 2 years on Jazz edge (there were even private lesson included with willie with skype, now you can but you have to pay for, now it is in groups ) ; much more interactive and all lessons avaible so you can more manage your improvement

i try artist works some interesting lessons too

https://www.pianogroove.com/ really progressive and nice lessons , very focused lessons no 5 minutes of talking before it begins...love that , lot to learn , cool forum community and Hayden answers all question you can have , even with videos often

https://www.openstudiojazz.com/memberships is a great ressource too , wow some great pianists Peter Martin Georfrey Keezer ...

if you have other internet jazz music lessons thanks to share

"la vie c'est comme une dent ..." Boris Vian
dmd #2944997 02/10/20 01:12 AM
M
M
Teachers and learning are a really personal thing and what works for one person might not for another. It's about finding someone or a site that explains things in a way that makes sense to you, so I find only way is to take a few lessons with someone or signup at the site for shortest term they have to check things out.

dmd #3037016 10/18/20 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by dmd
Open Studio - Covers topics in broad strokes/giant steps. Not enough hand holding.
What do you mean by "not enough hand holding"?
They have options like Guided Practice Studio ($10 per month) which seems interesting. They have sent me a free lesson and I'll see what it is about. The Jazz Piano Method is addressed to intermediate to advanced. So it must be out of my reach for the time being. On the other side, Jazz Piano for Beginners seems too basic...
They have also Jazz Piano Technique | Vol. 1: Pentatonics addressed to all levels. I have signed up for a free lesson.
They have a 7-day free trial for all lessons that I am going to try one of these days. when I foresee more free time

Originally Posted by dmd
PopJazzOnline - It has been quite a while since I tried that one. I remember if being very difficult and I soon quit with it.
Very difficult for you means impossible for me...

Originally Posted by dmd
Sudnow Method - Shows you which keys to press …. with very little useful theory accompanying it.
I tried and didn't like.

Don, any update?

Thank you.

Jaime CLP-645 😃
dmd #3037099 10/18/20 05:00 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi

At least some of the Open Studio guided practise sessions run by Adam Maness are available on Youtube (free), as are a lot of their podcasts (with Peter Martin and Adam) as well.

They give a lot of great advice, but it is at quite an advanced level.
I've subscribed and have just been watching their free stuff, which is enough for another lifetime of practise!

Cheers

Simon

Vox Continental 73, Casio PX-S3000
Yanagisawa AW01 (alto Sax)
Yamaha YTS-475 (tenor Sax)

DipMus(Open)

Play what you enjoy listening to, listen to what you enjoy playing!

Simon_b #3037188 10/18/20 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Simon_b
Hi

At least some of the Open Studio guided practise sessions run by Adam Maness are available on Youtube (free), as are a lot of their podcasts (with Peter Martin and Adam) as well.

They give a lot of great advice, but it is at quite an advanced level.
I've subscribed and have just been watching their free stuff, which is enough for another lifetime of practise!

Cheers

Thank you. I'll take a look at all that.

Yesterday a saw a couple of free lessons:
"Practise with Adam" are a series of podcasts
"Jazz Piano Jump-Start" lesson on arpeggios, they look like a funny couple, but you don't learn anything about arpeggios.
I liked the free lesson "Block Chords Made Easy" with a step by step approach.

Jaime CLP-645 😃
Sol Finker #3037204 10/19/20 01:57 AM
N
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Sol Finker
The Jazz Piano Method is addressed to intermediate to advanced. So it must be out of my reach for the time being. On the other side, Jazz Piano for Beginners seems too basic...
This is a very familiar problem that I paid a lot of attention to in my teaching practice (I don’t suggest myself - I don’t have English).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Best Service Galaxy & Ivory sales
by newer player - 11/26/20 03:25 PM
Pulling the trigger
by Cutec - 11/26/20 01:48 PM
Interesting alternative to a DP: a 110 lb acoustic piano
by anotherscott - 11/26/20 12:44 PM
Fingers banging into sheet-music shelf/desk
by pdavidow - 11/26/20 12:08 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,063
Posts3,027,443
Members99,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission