Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
141 registered members (accordeur, Agent88, AssociateX, almo82, AlphaBravoCharlie, Aydan, ALEXANDER DYKER, Beowulf, 33 invisible), 1,716 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ideas for Christmas Recitals #2592656
12/06/16 05:42 PM
12/06/16 05:42 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Do you host Christmas Recitals for your studio? Any ideas that you'd like to share?

This year, I'm taking out the dress code and replacing it with "seasonal attire." And I'm not making the kids memorize their pieces.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: AZNpiano] #2592664
12/06/16 06:22 PM
12/06/16 06:22 PM
Colorado
C
carlos88 Offline
carlos88  Offline
C

Colorado
A similar, informal level of recital is taking place at the piano studio where I'm taking lessons. No memorization required, no formal dress required, with small groups at each recital time.

From what I see, it really is just a time for the students to perform in front of a small number of people, including their family, in a more relaxed setting than the spring and summer recitals.

The other type of recital I see going on around here are joint teacher events either to help raise money for a charity (like the piano-a-thon last Saturday), or at senior centers or other public forums (at the mall). These are also memorization optional events.

I'd rather play badly than not at all...
Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: AZNpiano] #2592690
12/06/16 08:43 PM
12/06/16 08:43 PM
NJ
C
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chasingrainbows  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

NJ
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Do you host Christmas Recitals for your studio? Any ideas that you'd like to share?

This year, I'm taking out the dress code and replacing it with "seasonal attire." And I'm not making the kids memorize their pieces.

I do Holiday recitals every December. Just had one this past weekend. thumb

Students play winter themed or holiday songs for the most part. I have student duets, sometimes with a second non-piano instrument when possible. Afterwards, we have festive goodies and take pictures. I used to also have a Halloween recital. Students wore costumes and we had a parade after they played spooky, minor pieces, then gave a prize to best costume, and of course, had refreshments afterwards.

Piano teacher, BA Music, MTNA member
Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: AZNpiano] #2592718
12/07/16 01:19 AM
12/07/16 01:19 AM
California
500 Post Club Member
hello my name is  Offline
500 Post Club Member

California
Oh I hated memorizing pieces for recitals! : ) I approve : P

Piano Teacher in Training
Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: AZNpiano] #2592722
12/07/16 02:02 AM
12/07/16 02:02 AM
Arghhh Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Arghhh  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I do recitals at the end of January, around the end of the first semester. I find December is already busy for me (extra Christmas music, university juries and opera), plus I figure everyone else is busy with extra events as well.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: chasingrainbows] #2592733
12/07/16 03:18 AM
12/07/16 03:18 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows

Did it go well?

I don't do Christmas Recitals every year. The last time I ran one, the attendance was so poor, I almost didn't want to do another one ever again.

There are quite a few beginners in my studio right now, and I thought a Christmas Recital would be a pain-free way to introduce these kiddos to piano recitals. OMG the resistance I'm getting from these kids is overwhelming. Maybe I should start firing students who don't want to come to recitals. Or go back to making recitals mandatory.

Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: Arghhh] #2592734
12/07/16 03:21 AM
12/07/16 03:21 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by Arghhh
I do recitals at the end of January, around the end of the first semester.

Uh, I can't do that. Even the middle school kids here have finals. Or at least some stupidly-huge group project due the last week of January.

And if I do the recital any later than that, I start running into CM testing.

Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: AZNpiano] #2592815
12/07/16 10:01 AM
12/07/16 10:01 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
Morodiene Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Morodiene  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Boynton Beach, FL
I don't currently do one, but what about duets or inviting student's friends or family members who also play or play another instrument/sing to do some collaborative work?

I find that making it a casual and collaborative effort takes out the jitters for recitals and it can be very rewarding.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: AZNpiano] #2592818
12/07/16 10:41 AM
12/07/16 10:41 AM
pianopi Offline

pianopi  Offline

My students love the Christmas / Holiday recital. They get excited about learning seasonal pieces. I don't insist at all with memorization - but some just love to do that anyway and show off smile

I always introduce each child before they play, and say something that I thought was admirable about their playing afterwards. I try to keep things light with little jokes here and there. We have a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere, but at the same time they dress up and we have a smart venue with a baby grand so the students feel important too.

We have lots of duets and instruments other than piano if the students can play them.

One year I gave out Christmas Crackers as rewards for playing after each performance - they loved that! (This year we had chocolate coins)

Everyone brings a snack and we have a reception after the recital, and the students get to play on the piano again afterwards for fun if they want to, so we have live entertainments with the refreshments!!

I always have a full (or almost full) turnout, and everyone usually leaves happy and proud of themselves.

"Genius is not the sign of demigodliness, but the sign of having a profoundly practical mind" - anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc4esj9xQG6NjLIr9an29Q
Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: AZNpiano] #2592825
12/07/16 11:28 AM
12/07/16 11:28 AM
NJ
C
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chasingrainbows  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

NJ
Originally Posted by chasingrainbows

Did it go well?

I don't do Christmas Recitals every year. The last time I ran one, the attendance was so poor, I almost didn't want to do another one ever again.

There are quite a few beginners in my studio right now, and I thought a Christmas Recital would be a pain-free way to introduce these kiddos to piano recitals. OMG the resistance I'm getting from these kids is overwhelming. Maybe I should start firing students who don't want to come to recitals. Or go back to making recitals mandatory.

Other than one no-show and 2 performers who got sick and couldn't come, it was very successful. I had 20 performers, but usually have at least 25. All of my students participate, and they range from 5 to 50 years old right now. It is a very busy time of the year, but I usually have a full house. I once held my holiday recital in January, and I didn't feel like the "holiday" favorites were as fitting or impactful in January.

Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: AZNpiano] #2592827
12/07/16 11:36 AM
12/07/16 11:36 AM
pianopi Offline

pianopi  Offline

With students who have just started i.e one or two weeks or months, I invite them to come and watch the others play so they get an idea of what it is like without having the scariness of performing (... obviously if you have mostly new beginners in your studio there is the chance there'd be not much to watch ..!)

"Genius is not the sign of demigodliness, but the sign of having a profoundly practical mind" - anonymous

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTc4esj9xQG6NjLIr9an29Q
Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: pianopi] #2592830
12/07/16 11:43 AM
12/07/16 11:43 AM
NJ
C
chasingrainbows Offline
1000 Post Club Member
chasingrainbows  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C

NJ
Originally Posted by pianopi

With students who have just started i.e one or two weeks or months, I invite them to come and watch the others play so they get an idea of what it is like without having the scariness of performing (... obviously if you have mostly new beginners in your studio there is the chance there'd be not much to watch ..!)

I had 2 new students who were reluctant to participate, and I also invited them to be part of the audience and have goodies afterwards. One did come, one did not.

Re: Ideas for Christmas Recitals [Re: pianopi] #2592868
12/07/16 02:19 PM
12/07/16 02:19 PM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline OP
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
Originally Posted by pianopi

I guess we all have different definitions of "beginner" students. My "beginners" (except for one that started in March) have all been playing piano for longer than a year. I would never ask students with 1 or 2 months of experience to play in a recital--or even invite them to watch, because it can get intimidating.

I could segregate the students by level, so that all the beginner students play in the same recital program. But I'm not the type of person who would do that.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
Casio PX-160 or Yamaha P-125 for Beginner
by jediknight. 11/15/18 11:42 AM
Late 19th - early 20th century Pleyel pianos.
by Wckoek. 11/15/18 08:36 AM
John Lewis Christmas ad 2018
by Timpskie. 11/15/18 06:40 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,343
Posts2,761,381
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission