2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,824 guests, and 276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I've had two D700-s (not at the same time) with various fast primes and zooms and I would still love to shoot with Nikon, especially with a dynamic range monster such as D750 but I won't bring anything more than a smartphone these days. I've sold everything. Don't want to sound pessimistic and I wish you all the great luck at Nikon but I believe they are a dying business. They only have DSLR-s and no proper mirrorless. I am very positive that would eventually cost them their whole business. Hopefully I am wrong smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Gene,

Wow thanks for the encouragement.

Trust when I say that I considered everything from current to future product lineups, and current financial position of the company corporately before leaving a secure situation.

The consolidated financial statements and mid term business plan are online for anyone to read.

Nikon is on a definitive growth track. New products and new product segments appearing all the time. New business units as well. Any company that invests 25% of their operating income into R&D is indeed healthy, and on a growth track.

I am going to do everything in my power to sell more Nikon in my little chunk of the world.

So your pessimism is unfounded, and mostly comes based on personal opinion, not any facts that I was able to ascertain before accepting the position.

Jay

Last edited by JayGVan; 11/27/16 08:32 PM.

Industry Consultant
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Alexander Borro
Good luck in your future endevours Jay, and thanks for the help here on the forum.

Sounds like an interesting new area. Indeed I need a better camera at some point, but I spent it all on visual astronomy and eyepieces in the last years, another one of my past times. laugh Collecting a few VSts in comparison seems like quit a cheap hobby all of a sudden.

Luckily my astro set is complete enough I don't need anymore and I am satisfied, having followed the mantra to buy wisely once, and not cheaper several times over. It's true in that area ( for me I found anyway).

Now, no doubt you will find that when it comes dealing with forums wanting perfection in optics that crowd can be just as fickle and picky wanting the best in everything. Though they are generally a very warm friendly crowd I find.

Now, I see Nikon do some fine ones too at this point. I never looked through one as yet on any star party or astronomy meeting that always seems to be largely dominated by televue and Pentax collections. I already have a few of those, but some others are closely behind, but never found one owning a Nikon as yet in the visual area of astronomy.

This one looks promising

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/en/eyepieces/60-to-72-wide-angle/other/nikon-nav-sw-17.5mm-eyepiece

You might consider looking into the Nikon D810A (A for astrophotography). It sounds like it might be right up your alley.

Jay

Industry Consultant
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I got to look through these on a Navy ship in the Pacific. Andromeda was awesome.

Nikon 20x120

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by brooster
I got to look through these on a Navy ship in the Pacific. Andromeda was awesome.

Nikon 20x120

Unfortunately, I won't deal in the sport optics. the Imaging division is where I will live. Cams, Lenses, Flashes and accessories. However those bino's are pretty impressive looking.

Jay

Industry Consultant
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JayGVan
Gene,

Wow thanks for the encouragement.

Trust when I say that I considered everything from current to future product lineups, and current financial position of the company corporately before leaving a secure situation.

The consolidated financial statements and mid term business plan are online for anyone to read.

Nikon is on a definitive growth track. New products and new product segments appearing all the time. New business units as well. Any company that invests 25% of their operating income into R&D is indeed healthy, and on a growth track.

I am going to do everything in my power to sell more Nikon in my little chunk of the world.

So your pessimism is unfounded, and mostly comes based on personal opinion, not any facts that I was able to ascertain before accepting the position.

Jay

You are right it was purely a personal feeling not based on any actual numbers but rather based on my long time disappointment with Nikon not entering the serious mirrorless business. (Which was the reason for me to switch to Fuji. And which gathers dust in a closet...). I didn't want to rain on your parade and of course you must have made your very solid check of the company when you chose it smile I apologize for being so pessimistic. I see less and less people with DSLR-s though. But that's in Europe. Maybe there's a huge market in other continents.

Once again, I'm sorry for my "encouragement", I hope I am really wrong and sincerely wish you long and fruitful career at Nikon smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Jay, thank you for all the activity on this forum, and I too hope to continue seeing you around!
Your contributions and mannerisms were invaluable!
I wish you the best of luck in your future career!

PS. Good choice on the FP90! If I had to make a buy at this point, I would probably choose the same thing. Either that or a midi controller with the PHA50 action or the Kawai GF2 action (preferably the former), for a more attractive price, but since none of these products exist, I would probably settle for an FP90 or an HP603, depending on the space and mobility requirements.

Last edited by mcoll; 11/28/16 08:18 AM.
T
T
On the subject of mirrorless and DSLRs. I also have a Fuji mirrorless, which I bought after my Canon DSLR died. My thinking was that since I take photos occasionally these days, I'd be much more likely to take a small setup with me more often than I would the full DSLR getup, which has turned out to be the case. It also draws far less attention. (I also liked that the Fuji's layout is akin to old film rangefinders and fully manual SLRs, like the Nikon FM2, which was the camera I most wanted in my younger days but never got).

As much as I like the mirrorless camera, however, I've found that trying to get fleeting moment or action shots is difficult. For that type of photography, there's nothing like a DSLR (or old film SLR or rangefinder). Also the selection of mirrorless lenses is fairly small and the prices tend to be quite high as there's not much of a used market, whereas there are a great number of lens options for Nikon and Canon DSLRs, including many older film lenses (although how well they function varies).

So I think there's still considerable benefit to high quality DSLRs, especially for more dedicated and professional photographers.

And a related thought. I suppose in some ways the imaging market is somewhat akin to musical instruments: many buyers will use and enjoy the products but eventually find it takes considerable time and focus to become highly skilled, so they lose interest. Some, however, love finding what they can create and using them becomes an important aspect of their lives. Some of those people do extraordinary things with them, things that have enlightened and changed our world.

JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tim P

And a related thought. I suppose in some ways the imaging market is somewhat akin to musical instruments: many buyers will use and enjoy the products but eventually find it takes considerable time and focus to become highly skilled, so they lose interest. Some, however, love finding what they can create and using them becomes an important aspect of their lives. Some of those people do extraordinary things with them, things that have enlightened and changed our world.

Bravo! I will remember and keep these words with me as I transition. And throughout my new career.

Thank you for this.

Jay

Industry Consultant
T
T
You're quite welcome. Again, best of luck and thanks for all your help here.

C
C
Thanks Jay for all of help. I basically changed my mind from buying a v-Piano to my current RD-800 thanks to your suggestion.

Kind regards and good luck.

Cleverson
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
I just caught this post. Best wishes with the new gig. You represented Roland with admirable integrity.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by JayGVan
I'm leaving Roland on December 30th.

I will be starting as the British Columbia sales rep for Nikon Canada on January 2nd.

Jay

Oh well, looks like we won't have anything (device-like) in common after 2/1 (or 1/2, depending on where you live). cry

I've owned a Canon SLR camera system since the start of their EOS, but all my camera bodies were for film (for those of you old enough to remember celluloid). When digital took over, I almost stopped serious photography, until eventually, I decided to buy the mirrorless Sony alpha 6000. And it's a great little camera. (At least, it's little until you fit an expensive lump of Carl Zeiss on it).

I don't think I will ever buy into any digital SLR with mirrors now. (Yes, I know that I can still use my existing EOS-fit lenses on any Canon DSLR body.....)

If music be the food of love, play on!
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Don't type Carl Zeiss.

It makes me drool, and the keyboard in my laptop is not water resistant.

Yes, I'm a Carl Zeiss fanboy because of the price/performance ratio of their ZM-lenses. And their binoculars. And spectacle lenses. Darn. If there's a Carl Zeiss logo on it, I'll buy it. I demand a piano designed by Carl Zeiss. Use their glass for optical sensors in the keys for all I care if that what it takes to get their logo on it.

If they would build a full frame €1500 rangefinder (completely digital, without any moving components), I'll go sleep in front of their headquarters to secretly test their prototype at night and leave feedback.

It would be the one thing to get me back into photography again.

Last edited by Falsch; 12/02/16 01:07 PM.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
JayGVan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beakybird
I just caught this post. Best wishes with the new gig. You represented Roland with admirable integrity.

I appreciate that Beaky!

Thank you!

Jay

Industry Consultant
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Any recommendations for a pocket point and shoot camera? My decades old Casio is on its last legs.

Sorry for the cheapo, and best wishes for the right turn!

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by doremi
Any recommendations for a pocket point and shoot camera? My decades old Casio is on its last legs.

Sorry for the cheapo, and best wishes for the right turn!

You're still using film?!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
No film, the Casio was one of the first digital pocket point and shoot cameras. Does not have many features, neither do I need them, I just want to take it out of my shirt pocket and shoot.

I do want reliable quality (and reliable battery, especially) which the Casio did have, it is just becoming ancient.

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
I see. How old is this Casio? How many pixels? I remember the first digital I tried was from around 1999 and it was a terrible thing. I think it was about 0.5MP. I guess the Casios were better.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission