2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
58 registered members (dima5222, CyberGene, Animisha, Darkwasp, aphexdisklavier, ChatNoir, Dave Horne, Beemer, 13 invisible), 426 guests, and 388 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yamaha CLP-535 or CLP-545? #2590879 11/29/16 06:52 AM
A
Arthell Offline OP
OP Offline
A
The specs (as well as sales staff) tell me there's barely any difference between these two. But then I went to try them, and I have a feeling CLP-545 is lighter on the keys, i.e. more reflexive.

Do you agree on this? And do you have other information which can be relevant to my choice? I play only classical am quite technical. Any other suggestions are welcome. The primary reasons for buying a digital piano for me is because I live in an apartment and don't want to make too much noise, as well as the weight of the piano. Otherwise I'd buy a full acoustic as I intend on performing (for small occasions) on a grande.

Thanks a lot

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods, and more!
Re: Yamaha CLP-535 or CLP-545? [Re: Arthell] #2590885 11/29/16 07:27 AM
JoBert Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The CLP-353 has the Graded Hammer 3X (GH3X) action while the CLP-545 has the Natural Wood X (NWX) action. So the two are indeed different and it's no surprise that they feel different to you too.

Also, I read your other post in the piano sub-forum where you supplied some more background on what you want to do with these pianos. With that background, I wanted to suggest to think outside of the Yamaha box and also give Roland and Kawai (maybe even Casio) a play test. You may be surprised. You wouldn't be the first who came to this forum to ask about various Yamaha models but ended up buying a Kawai or Roland. Of course you also wouldn't be the first to buy Yamaha anyway. smile All three are good pianos. But you can only know which one you like best if you try them all.

In a price range similar to the CLP-545 would be the Kawai CA67 and Roland HP 605.

Re: Yamaha CLP-535 or CLP-545? [Re: Arthell] #2590895 11/29/16 08:22 AM
S
spanishbuddha Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
Yes I agree with JoBert, try some other brands within that price range. Roland HP series and Kawai CN or CA series, or even Casio Celviano. These are all consoles not slabs. Play some scales and explore how the timbre does or doesn't respond to different key speed. Listen to the sustain with pedal and play some chords. Preferably try them in a store that sells acoustics, as almost none of them replicate the feel of an acoustic, despite the sales hype and reports you hear. But you will feel this for yourself and can judge what is acceptable for you for practice. You can also set the volume accordingly by comparison to the acoustics. The CLP's you mention are fine, just fine, but it becomes a personal preference when comparing, just as with acoustics. If you want a real action in a digital you need to explore the hybrids from Yamaha and Casio and have deep pockets. The sound of a digital can be supplemented using a PC, MAC or tablet if you want to change it, but the feel of the key action is fixed so concentrate on that when buying. I would ensure you have regular access to an acoustic, perhaps through a teacher.

Re: Yamaha CLP-535 or CLP-545? [Re: Arthell] #2590923 11/29/16 11:40 AM
K
kippesc Offline
K
I posted a reply to you in the Piano forum. Summary: Think about a high end Kawai or Roland slab (for the action) and plug that MIDI controller slab into Pianoteq (for the sound). Use headphones (to save money).

There is a lot of info about keyboard actions (including photos) collected here:

http://www.forum-pianoteq.com/viewtopic.php?id=3419

And of course there is a lot of the same information collected in various threads on this site too.

Poke around on the Pianoteq site for demo sound. And keep in mind that you can install a free demo of Pianoteq on your laptop to try out. I hate to sound like an evangelist for Pianoteq, but I've bought so much gear over the last 7 years, including many software pianos. A lot of this stuff you have to buy in order to try it out, and you end up wasting a lot of money.

And below is a link to just one of many useful videos out there in the world on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o5H-P9cDog

Last edited by kippesc; 11/29/16 11:42 AM.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
Re: Yamaha CLP-535 or CLP-545? [Re: Arthell] #2591064 11/29/16 09:43 PM
Kawai James Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Arthell, welcome to the forum!

There are certainly differences between the CLP-535 and CLP-545 - please use this link to compare the specifications of each model. You may wish to print out this page, highlight the differences, then return to the Yamaha dealer to request confirmation about the various features and how they will influence the piano's touch and tone.

Aside from the CLP-535/CLP-545, I would also suggest you consider the Kawai CN25/CN35/CA17, and Roland RP501/HP504, which compete well with the Yamahas on features and price.

I hope this helps - best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Re: Yamaha CLP-535 or CLP-545? [Re: Arthell] #2591463 12/01/16 08:23 AM
B
Belger1900 Offline
B
If you are fixed on buying Yamaha, then I would go for the 545. Better key action and better speaker system.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Pianoforall
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
World Piano Day livestream
by Tyrone Slothrop - 03/28/20 12:42 PM
YouTube : DeutscheGrammophe
by Pianoperformance - 03/28/20 11:12 AM
Piano meetup pandemic recital
by KevinM - 03/28/20 11:06 AM
Stephen Hough and Covid 19
by gooddog - 03/28/20 09:54 AM
Rust spots on strings
by Deltajockey - 03/28/20 08:30 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,744
Posts2,939,650
Members96,385
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission