2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
84 members (brendon, 8ude, Abdol, Alex_Ki, A Guy, bobrunyan, 23 invisible), 605 guests, and 486 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Transitioning to digital piano? My dilemma
#2590881 11/29/16 06:16 AM
A
Arthell Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I'm 28 years old today and was very active playing classical up until I was 20, including smaller performances. Then I moved abroad and didn't touch a piano for 8 years.

Today I can barely play but I am serious in my wish to resume and start practicing 2-4 hours/day. I live in an apartment however and come back from work at 6pm. Therefore, I think I need to get a digital piano.

I've always been against digital pianos but I understand that for the right money, they can be very similar to acoustic ones. And after going to the shop and trying out Yamaha's Clavinova series, I am almost convinced that I will buy either the CLP-535 or CLP-545.

They are however quite pricey and I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing. I aim to, on occasion, perform on acoustic pianos or grand pianos. Therefore I don't want to learn the wrong habits, in terms of feel/touch, sound, etc, as I don't want to get a shock each time I sit down to perform on a real one.

Can any of you experienced people give me your take on transitioning? Is volume adjustability (as compared to "fixed" volume on mechanical pianos) a case for concern? Lightness of keys etc?

Re: Transitioning to digital piano? My dilemma
Arthell #2590893 11/29/16 07:16 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
I'd suggest you ask about specific models, options in the digital piano section of the forum:

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/6/1/Digital_Pianos_-_Synths_&a.html

As for transitioning, it can take some getting used to. I'm mostly familiar with the Yamaha models myself and own a couple (as well as an acoustic grand piano). Although most will initially focus on the realism (or lack of) of the sound, the feel of the keyboard is what really requires getting used to. The best thing is to try many models. You will find that they range from the unusually light touch (most inexpensive models) to fairly acoustic-like, although you won't get the escapement feel unless you're buying a fairly expensive model that features an actual mechanical action.

The volume control is a bit of a mix of curse and blessing. Of course an acoustic doesn't have one, and this kind of points out that a digital doesn't have the dynamic range of a real piano. You usually end up discovering that a specific setting will make you feel like it's most natural to you, in terms of how loud it sounds for how hard you press. You will only use any other settings for the convenience of practising something at low volume, or turning it up because you would have needed amplification if you had an acoustic.

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
Arthell #2590917 11/29/16 10:05 AM
K
K
I had a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-380 in 2009 and traded up to an AvantGrand N2 because the action on the CLP-380 did not allow realistic soft playing. The Clavinova keys took too much force to initiate movement, so once they started moving, they moved too fast -- hard to control. The AvantGrand action is great.

I'd recommend using Pianoteq for sound and getting a good MIDI controller. So, for a keyboard, I'd go with either the Kawai MP11 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MP11) or the Roland RD-800 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RD800). I would use headphones to save money. I use the Bose QC15s, which are not audiophile headphones, but they do a great job of cutting out household noise.

Okay, so that seems like a lot of gear. Why go to the trouble to add Pianoteq? Because Pianoteq PLAYS like a great piano. It has a huge dynamic range, with very sensitive gradations of color (timbre), making it far more expressive than any other digital I've played, including the Rolands (and the Rolands are among the most expressive DPs out there).

But doesn't your Yamaha AvantGrand sound better than Pianoteq? After all, it's the top of the line DP! Answer: No. Install the free Pianoteq demo on a laptop and take it and some headphones to a Yamaha dealer and try it for yourself. And try to ignore the Yamaha marketing (this instrument samples a CFX, a CFS-III, an S6, a Bosendorfer). It is incredibly effective. It worked on me. You WANT that marketing material to be true. It's an intoxicating idea that you can get your hands on four world class instruments for $5,000. But you can't. You can, however, get your hands on a wonderful practice instrument (MIDI controller + Pianoteq) for less than $2,000 if you shop smart.

Steinway B
Yamaha AvantGrand N2
Roland RD-700NX
Arthell #2590957 11/29/16 12:43 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Arthell
I aim to, on occasion, perform on acoustic pianos or grand pianos. Therefore I don't want to learn the wrong habits, in terms of feel/touch, sound, etc, as I don't want to get a shock each time I sit down to perform on a real one.

No matter what you practice on, acoustic or digital, if you spend all your time on one instrument, going to any other will be a shock. The only solution to this problem is to get some practice time on a variety of instruments, so you can learn to adapt. Try restaurants, hotels, bars, schools, churches, etc.

That being said, I spend most of my time on a digital with headphones, to spare my wife the boring part of practice. I have an acoustic concert grand, too, which I go to when things are getting close to presentable, and when my wife is out.

As to your original question, go to Guitar Center and Sam Ash, figure on a couple hours each, and play everything they have. In particular try the "stage" pianos aka "slab" pianos. They have the great advantage that you can stand them on end in a closet when you need them out of the way. If you play gigs, you can take a slab with you if it's better than what the venue has.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Arthell #2590970 11/29/16 01:24 PM
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Why not an acoustic? I live in a small appartment yet have an 6' grand. But it depend on housing regulations and the time you want to play and how/what you play. For me, 2 hours in the evening works fine.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Arthell #2591094 11/29/16 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Arthell
I'm 28 years old today and was very active playing classical up until I was 20, including smaller performances. Then I moved abroad and didn't touch a piano for 8 years.

Today I can barely play but I am serious in my wish to resume and start practicing 2-4 hours/day. I live in an apartment however and come back from work at 6pm. Therefore, I think I need to get a digital piano.

I've always been against digital pianos but I understand that for the right money, they can be very similar to acoustic ones. And after going to the shop and trying out Yamaha's Clavinova series, I am almost convinced that I will buy either the CLP-535 or CLP-545.

They are however quite pricey and I want to make sure I'm buying the right thing. I aim to, on occasion, perform on acoustic pianos or grand pianos. Therefore I don't want to learn the wrong habits, in terms of feel/touch, sound, etc, as I don't want to get a shock each time I sit down to perform on a real one.

Can any of you experienced people give me your take on transitioning? Is volume adjustability (as compared to "fixed" volume on mechanical pianos) a case for concern? Lightness of keys etc?

This can be a problem. I go back and forth between digital and acoustic quite frequently. It kept messing me up until I got digitals that were very acoustic-like in their keybed feel. Not surprisingly, the acoustic piano manufacturers have an advantage here, e.g. Yamaha and Kawai for example. My Yamaha CP5 had an action almost identical to my Yamaha grand.

Other factors (sound, volume, pedaling) less of a problem. Drastically different keybed feel, big challenge.

I'd suggest you go over to the digital section of this board and ask for opinions for "slab" pianos (aka stage pianos) that feel like their acoustic counterparts.

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CLP 735 vs CA49 vs HP704
by Einaudio - 12/02/20 02:49 PM
Is there a term for this?
by TBell - 12/02/20 02:04 PM
Something cheerful, please!
by gooddog - 12/02/20 01:53 PM
Corona Virus Lock Down....
by Duaner - 12/02/20 12:49 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,213
Posts3,029,683
Members99,449
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission