2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
31 members (ChrisGoesPiano, ECBetancor, clothearednincompo, David B, Colin Miles, earlofmar, Boboulus, CosminX, Alex_G, AlphaBravoCharlie, 2 invisible), 381 guests, and 398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: How do you cope with nerves under presure
ClsscLib #2589684 11/24/16 10:51 AM
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by ClsscLib
The "gift re-framing" approach seems like simple self-deception, but isn't that also what performance anxiety is?

I don't quite see why it should seem like self-deception, because it's actually true. We often don't see it from that perspective, but that doesn't make it false. Self-persuasion, maybe?

1989 Baldwin R
jdw #2589725 11/24/16 01:56 PM
B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by jdw
The "gift re-framing" approach seems like simple self-deception, but isn't that also what performance anxiety is?

I don't quite see why it should seem like self-deception, because it's actually true. We often don't see it from that perspective, but that doesn't make it false. Self-persuasion, maybe?

The placebo effect is well-known - and works to some extent even if you know it's a dummy pill. (It's been proven in controlled studies). That's why musicians have strange rituals or routines they go through before concerts, to ensure their success, even though they know they're objectively ridiculous.

Unfortunately, I'm too much of a scientist to succumb to placebo effects & self-deception (I have to be properly deceived), and dummy pills don't work for my nerves (and I don't want to take propranolol), and I can't be doing with rituals which I know are pointless.

So, I just control the environment (i.e. the audience) instead....

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Celdor #2589747 11/24/16 03:24 PM
S
S
Place yourself into these playing circumstances until you feel comfortable. If no matter how often you try you are still at a significant impediment then consider meds.?i was deathly afraid of speaking and finally a day came that I did not even thing of the audience and I received so many compliments on my speaking. At the same time I darted to play in front of friends, family and for people over at the home fixing the furnace etc and after receiving positive feedback I just don't think about playing front of anyone anymore. It maybe easier for others but both greats are related public speaking and playing piano in public.

Serge P. Marinkovic, MD

Celdor #2589820 11/24/16 10:20 PM
K
K
My most recent teacher, the late David Bradshaw, strongly recommended taking 10mg of Inderal (propranolol) before every performance. There are many doctors who will prescribe it for this off-label use. Bradshaw said it was "asinine not to take it."
It is not true that the medication gets in the way of your passion or expressivity. It simply slows down your heart rate, and enables you to walk out on the stage feeling calm and happy. I can tell you from experience it makes a big difference.
Only caution: If you have low blood pressure, don't take it because it could kill you!

Last edited by keyboardkat; 11/24/16 10:21 PM.

B.M. Piano performance 1966
M.M. Piano performance 1969
bennevis #2589896 11/25/16 08:47 AM
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by jdw

The placebo effect is well-known - and works to some extent even if you know it's a dummy pill. (It's been proven in controlled studies). That's why musicians have strange rituals or routines they go through before concerts, to ensure their success, even though they know they're objectively ridiculous.

Unfortunately, I'm too much of a scientist to succumb to placebo effects & self-deception (I have to be properly deceived), and dummy pills don't work for my nerves (and I don't want to take propranolol), and I can't be doing with rituals which I know are pointless.

So, I just control the environment (i.e. the audience) instead....

My comment has nothing to do with the placebo effect, because it wasn't about whether the "gift reframing" works against anxiety or not. I use other techniques myself. But IMO you really are offering something to the audience when you play. It is a gift. It seems to me perfectly reasonable to think of it this way, whether the audience likes the music or not (not all gifts are well received) and even if you are paid (gifts often involve an exchange).

If it does help against anxiety, it's all the more rational.

1989 Baldwin R
Celdor #2590767 11/28/16 04:16 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Practice well so that you are very sure with your playing. The next step, try many times to play in front of people. If these two still do not help conquering your fear, you have to accept that you are not built to be a public performer. Since, playing piano is not your main income, so that it is not the end of the world for you, just play piano privately.

Celdor #2590776 11/28/16 04:57 PM
N
N
One of my old orchestra conductors told this story. He was at a very important audition and in one part, they gave him a rather difficult song to sightread. He was a decent singer, but apparently was very bad at sight reading, so he got very nervous and started shaking. However, he knew that he couldn't just break down, so he took a deep breath and sang with utmost confidence. In his words, every other note was wrong, but because he sang as if he were hitting all the right ones, the judges were very impressed at the end of his performance. He told us that it is perfectly fine to be nervous, but as long as you don't show it in your playing, often times an audience won't notice.

Celdor #2590784 11/28/16 05:44 PM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
I remember being very nervous as a child having to do recitals at the conservatory every spring and fall. One time the child before me started crying on stage and walked off. Now as an adult I think of how much I learned about nerves as a child and don't have one bit of stage fright. I have taken master piano classes in Vienna for the past three years, each with a recital at the end of the class, and have loved it and haven't been one bit nervous.

Steve
Bösendorfer 170

Bösendorfer 170
keyboardkat #2590804 11/28/16 08:16 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardkat
My most recent teacher, the late David Bradshaw, strongly recommended taking 10mg of Inderal (propranolol) before every performance. There are many doctors who will prescribe it for this off-label use. Bradshaw said it was "asinine not to take it."
It is not true that the medication gets in the way of your passion or expressivity. It simply slows down your heart rate, and enables you to walk out on the stage feeling calm and happy. I can tell you from experience it makes a big difference.
Only caution: If you have low blood pressure, don't take it because it could kill you!

The only problem with Inderal and other beta blockers is that while they may regulate your heart rate, they won't do a thing to control your anxiety. And the anxiety response is a lot more complex than just tachicardia

Celdor #2590859 11/29/16 01:40 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Just remembered too - sometimes we practice fear into our performances. Look out for it in your practice sessions so you can stay calm in faster/trickier spots. Otherwise the fear may be compounded by nerves.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
laguna_greg #2591150 11/30/16 06:08 AM
B
B
Originally Posted by laguna_greg
Originally Posted by keyboardkat

The only problem with Inderal and other beta blockers is that while they may regulate your heart rate, they won't do a thing to control your anxiety. And the anxiety response is a lot more complex than just tachicardia

Beta blockers do a lot more than just slow down your heart rate.

They are licensed as a treatment for anxiety (any anxiety/panic disorders). They counter tremors, shaking, the feeling of panic and losing control etc. You (or more accurately, your brain) still think you are anxious, but you don't exhibit the signs of anxiety.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
pianopi #2591166 11/30/16 07:12 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianopi

Also, the exam route is very lonely. I never saw/met any other students of my teacher and I always did exams alone, so I imagined everyone else was 100 times better than I was, and I thought that my teacher, and of course the examiner, felt a combination of disdain and pity for me, which definitely didn't help my performance anxiety.

Getting ready for a piano jury next week. My teacher had a studio class where all the students played their jury pieces and scales/arpeggios for each other. Surprise! Everyone else is as unprepared as I am - memory slips, technical problems, wrong fingerings. That takes some of the edge off my anxiety.

Sam

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Tool Backpack
by TimM_980 - 05/28/20 12:47 AM
Looking for a piano
by ThePenist - 05/28/20 12:25 AM
Emotional Response - Don't Have One?
by IntermedPianist - 05/27/20 07:30 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,224
Posts2,963,004
Members97,209
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission