2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
55 registered members (BachToTheFuture, Carey, Abdol, Bobby Badd, bobrunyan, Catlady, 12 invisible), 404 guests, and 425 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori #2587527 11/15/16 04:21 PM
D
dolce sfogato Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
I have this strange or not so strange request to perform the sonata with the original slowish movement included, I tend to think:'yess', but keeping the intro to the rondo, what do you think?

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587551 11/15/16 05:57 PM
Carey Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
It is my understanding that Beethoven ultimately realized the conventional sounding Andante Favori (lovely as it is) was too long and might lessen the impact of the other more progressive movements of the Waldstein. The shorter intro to the Rondo - composed as a substitute for the Andante - seems much more stylistically consistent with the rest of the piece.

Perhaps you could perform the Andante as a stand alone work - followed by a performance of the Waldstein as written.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587556 11/15/16 06:11 PM
P
Polyphonist Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
P
If you are going to insert the Andante favori you definitely need to remove the introduction to the rondo.

Regards,

Polyphonist
Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587569 11/15/16 07:06 PM
T
tedrp Offline
T

Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587584 11/15/16 08:05 PM
pianoloverus Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
I think whoever made the request to play the AF wanted to hear how Beethoven's original conception sounds. So play ONLY the AF. Additonally, playing the AF and the later composed intro would be like playing both cadenzas for the Rach 3 in one performance.

Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: pianoloverus] #2587597 11/15/16 09:24 PM
B
bennevis Offline
B
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I think whoever made the request to play the AF wanted to hear how Beethoven's original conception sounds. So play ONLY the AF. Additonally, playing the AF and the later composed intro would be like playing both cadenzas for the Rach 3 in one performance.

I agree about the Andante favori.

But the two Rach cadenzas have been successfully combined into one by a few pianists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58wc_JGJqqE (from 24:50)

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: Polyphonist] #2587599 11/15/16 09:34 PM
Carey Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Polyphonist
If you are going to insert the Andante favori you definitely need to remove the introduction to the rondo.

Agreed.

HOWEVER - Beethoven completed the Waldstein in 1804. He had another 23 years to "revise" it if he wanted to - but he didn't. I honestly don't see the point (other than mere curiosity) of compromising the integrity of this masterpiece by inserting the Andante favori in lieu of the introduction to the Rondo. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: Carey] #2587605 11/15/16 10:05 PM
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Carey
Beethoven completed the Waldstein in 1804. He had another 23 years to "revise" it if he wanted to - but he didn't. I honestly don't see the point (other than mere curiosity) of compromising the integrity of this masterpiece by inserting the Andante favori in lieu of the introduction to the Rondo.

Carey, I completely agree. (And this is a sonata I have performed, FWIW.)

As a separate piece, I love the Andante favori, and IMO it makes a lovely addition on its own to a recital.

But to question Beethoven's second thoughts? That seems rather arrogant to me, the same mentality which would add the 'Blumine' movement (clearly inferior, and rejected) to Mahler's First.

Of course there will be exceptions, and debates are still alive and kicking over earlier versions of Schumann and Liszt.

Jason
Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587705 11/16/16 10:53 AM
J
joe80 Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
Why not play the waldstein and then play the andante as a separate piece in the same recital?

Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: bennevis] #2587726 11/16/16 11:51 AM
Online Content
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

I agree about the Andante favori.

But the two Rach cadenzas have been successfully combined into one by a few pianists:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58wc_JGJqqE (from 24:50)
But I bet they didn't play one after the other as proposed by the OP.

Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587815 11/16/16 04:14 PM
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Since the introduction to the last movement was a replacement for the original Andante, I would leave it out if playing the Andante. We know that at different times, either version would be something Beethoven had thought of doing; playing both together doesn't seem to be something he ever considered.

But, regardless of that, playing both would just do strange things to the form, I think.

I like the concept of hearing the sonata in the very large format that was Beethoven's idea of it during its main period of composition. After all, making the shorter version wasn't even his own idea.

Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587826 11/16/16 04:53 PM
Carey Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Gee - I can't wait until someone decides to play all three of the Leonore Overtures at the beginning of a full performance of Fidelio in addition to the fourth overture that Beethoven composed - and finally settled on - for that opera. ha

And speaking of Schumann - I'm reminded of those extra "variations" that ultimately were not included in the final version of the Symphonic Etudes. From time to time, you'll hear a performance that includes one of two of those - but IMHO they pale by comparison to the other variations in that monumental work.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587834 11/16/16 05:18 PM
beet31425 Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
This reminds me of issues around the *Grosse Fugue*. If you're performing or recording the complete Beethoven string quartets, the easiest solution is to play op.130 with the alternate last movement, and the Fugue as a totally separate piece. But if you're the Takács Quartet playing the complete quartets in Berkeley, as they're doing, and you decide to play op.130 with its original fugue ending, as they did... then where oh where does the poor, perfectly respectable alternative ending to 130 go? Very sad!

-J

Beethoven op.110, Chopin op.27/2, Liszt Vallée d'Obermann
Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587841 11/16/16 05:44 PM
D
dolce sfogato Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
Beethoven was insulted by Ries, his pupil, who played the AF a week after his playing it to him, as a part of the whole sonata (before print), then some (Czerny) said the thing was too long, all that made him decide to write some 'intro' to the finale instead of the AF, the composer was just angry and decided to do something else, however never forgetting his AF, and playing it frequently. The 1st mov. is full of tension, methinks, the 'new' intro also, the finale is relaxed, oh yes!, but the AF is also very relaxed, so the incorporation of the AF would mean: tension-relaxation-tension-relaxation, a win-win-situation...I already, just, performed it that way, with explanation why, and it was a succes. I also always repeat the 'Grave'-section of the op.13, even Beethoven can be surprising after all those years, and about the Grosse Fuge: that's a different thing all together, 2 really different finales, the AF and the intro (of but a few minutes) don't bite, they just enlarge the emotinal range of the piece and they don't compete, they complement each other within the sonata. I'll stick to this .

Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587857 11/16/16 06:12 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
The 1st mov. is full of tension, methinks, the 'new' intro also, the finale is relaxed, oh yes!, but the AF is also very relaxed, so the incorporation of the AF would mean: tension-relaxation-tension-relaxation, a win-win-situation...
But using your argument recommending alternating tension and relaxation one could argue that Beethoven's original conception of TRR or revision with TTR are both flawed.

Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2587863 11/16/16 06:29 PM
Carey Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dolce sfogato
Beethoven was insulted by Ries, his pupil, who played the AF a week after his playing it to him, as a part of the whole sonata (before print), then some (Czerny) said the thing was too long, all that made him decide to write some 'intro' to the finale instead of the AF, the composer was just angry and decided to do something else, however never forgetting his AF, and playing it frequently. The 1st mov. is full of tension, methinks, the 'new' intro also, the finale is relaxed, oh yes!, but the AF is also very relaxed, so the incorporation of the AF would mean: tension-relaxation-tension-relaxation, a win-win-situation...I already, just, performed it that way, with explanation why, and it was a succes. I also always repeat the 'Grave'-section of the op.13, even Beethoven can be surprising after all those years, and about the Grosse Fuge: that's a different thing all together, 2 really different finales, the AF and the intro (of but a few minutes) don't bite, they just enlarge the emotinal range of the piece and they don't compete, they complement each other within the sonata. I'll stick to this .
Whether he was angry or not, the composer did indeed ultimately decide to do something else. But, of course, as a performer, you are free to do whatever you wish. I'm sure your audience appreciated the opportunity to learn something (that they might not have known) about the evolution of the Waldstein. Glad it worked out well for you. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Re: Beethoven Waldstein Andante favori [Re: dolce sfogato] #2590498 11/27/16 04:43 PM
D
dolce sfogato Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
D
btw, everyone is playing the posthumus variations into the whole of Schumann's op.13 and they are right.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway fallboard lettering
by Lushey1 - 02/21/20 04:30 AM
How do you deal with sweaty hands?
by PracticingPianist - 02/21/20 01:34 AM
FP 90 Question...
by GWILLY - 02/21/20 12:27 AM
I am inspired to write some music
by MichaelJK - 02/20/20 10:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,098
Posts2,928,235
Members96,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission