Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
Welcome PianoTV members!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
117 registered members (ando, Almaviva, anamnesis, Anita Potter, alphonsus, 29 invisible), 1,299 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2587244 - 11/14/16 09:39 PM Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
AB Forum Recital  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD! USE THE DISCUSSION THREAD!

I am delighted to introduce our 44th quarterly AB Forum “Beginners and Beyond” Recital! smile So, pull up a chair and have a listen.

I would like to take this opportunity to ask the audience to please refrain from commentary in this recital room.

A separate room has been provided for the purposes of intermezzo discussion. Please take any and all comments to the General Discussion Room.

Thank you!

In addition to the zip files linked below, mahlzeit has added a feature to his program that creates an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Online Streaming Player

A template has been created for those who wish to provide individualized feedback:

Recital #44 Response Template

For the convenience of forum members, mahlzeit's program has normalized the files for consistent volume and standardized the ID3 tags in a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

Recital 44 Zip 1
Recital 44 Zip 2
Recital 44 Zip 3
Recital 44 Zip 4
Recital 44 Zip 5
Recital 44 Zip 6
Recital 44 Zip 7

And here's the link to Sam S.'s terrific ABF recital index, that allows you to browse through and search for pieces in all of our past recitals:

AB Forum Recital Index

Let me express my greatest thanks to some very special people: Mr Super-Hunky for coming up with the idea of our online recitals, which have proven to be more successful than any of us ever dreamed; LaValse for hosting the recitals for so long and then devoting hours of programming trouble-shooting making the transition to Frank's servers; Frank for agreeing to host the recital now that it's gotten so big; Copper for trouble-shooting help and the Order of the Red Dot; Sam S. for his terrific AB Forum Recital Index and also devoting hours to programming trouble-shooting; and last but not least, mahlzeit for writing the absolutely fantastic web-based recital program that we are using. THANK YOU MAHLZEIT!!! heart

AGAIN: DO NOT REPLY OR POST ON THIS THREAD!!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2587245 - 11/14/16 09:41 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:wouter79
Experience:Just over 6 years
Direct music link:click to download
Title of piece:Mazurka, Op. 6 No.1
Composer:Frederic Francois Chopin
Duration:03:53
Source of music:From memory
Instrument used:Grotrian-Steinweg 189
Recording method:DPA4060, EMU0404, Jecklin Disk, Macbook Pro
Technical feedback wanted:Yes
Additional info:Chopin wrote this Mazurka in 1832. He had left Poland one year earlier. He had met Robert Schumann who supported him, and got established quickly. His health was still quite ok. He gave a few concerts and got a good income from teaching.
The piece is in f# minor has the form AABABACA. is a typical mazurka with triple meter and accents often on the 3rd beat. The main theme A is played piano; not much is happening, it tries to ascend a bit, but then comes a chromatic sliding down which gives it a sad feeling. The B and C themes seem brief, fanatic attempts to break loose from the dragging main theme, and use extreme dynamics up to ffz, and nervous ornaments. The first time, the main theme livens up a bit, but after the C theme it's clear the main theme can't be changed.
The tempo indication for the piece is a lot (50%) faster than what I play but I did not find a way to make the piece work with that speed.

#2587247 - 11/14/16 09:45 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:MeganR
From:California in the middle of nowhere Sierra Foothills
Experience:20 months
Home page link:http://www.prayinghorse.com
Title of piece:Sonatina in G
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:03:54
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Everett spinet ~ mid 1950s
Recording method:Zoom H4
Additional info:I would have liked to have had a bit more time to polish, especially the 2nd movement, but work and family obligations made last weekend the do-or-die moment for recording. Even so, there are some spots that I'm relatively happy with.

Also, my piano needs tuning, having difficulties taking time off work just now to arrange the visit from the tuner.

#2587248 - 11/14/16 09:48 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:JoBert
Experience:Since childhood
Video link:https://youtu.be/yaLkgo6MVl4
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJcDLkLZ0uqWMVNKxPGOvpA
Title of piece:Piano Sonata No. 12, 3rd Mvt., Maestoso andante, Marcia funebre sulla morte d'un Eroe
Composer:Ludwig van Beethoven
Duration:06:37
Source of music:Henle Urtext Edition
Instrument used:Kawai CA 97 with Kawai EX Concert Grand voice
Recording method:Built-in recording, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:I am not a musicologist, so I have no wise things to say about this movement, except for that I like to play it. So to give you some background, I translated the relevant part from the German Wikipedia for you:

The third movement is a bit of a mystery. This is the only instance of a funeral march in Beethoven's piano works. Additionally, and very uniquely, Beethoven added a supplement to the movement title: "sulla morte d'un Eroe" (on the death of a hero). It remains unclear if this hero actually existed (see in comparison the funeral march in the third symphony, which was originally dedicated to Napoleon, who for a time was revered by Beethoven) or if this march rather generally refers to this certain type of "hero" which had just been made popular by the French Revolution. In contrast to the dark and highly severe pathos of the funeral march in the third symphony, this march seems to be quite "theatric" - it is more a manner of play acted or posed mourning. Matching the title, the movement is characterized by dotted note values and in the Trio you can recognize how the piano imitates drum rolls and blares of trumpets.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2587249 - 11/14/16 09:49 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Peyton
Experience:years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk8Hty_b_q0
Home page link:http://www.peytonart.com
Title of piece:A Situation
Composer:P. Higgison
Duration:05:36
Source of music:Original sheet music
Instrument used:Young chang Pramberger grand
Recording method:digital
Additional info:This is an original work I've been working on for around two months, and that's two months straight to the demise of every thing else I've been working on. I got a bit obsessed. I think one reason I got as obsessed with it is that I was determined to write it out as close as possible to what I would play for the recital. That in itself was an interesting and educational experience; I couldn't just play it but had to figure out what I was doing and how to write it. For writing I used the program MuseScore. Anyway, the piece is most likely influenced by the various Philip Glass works I've been tackling for the last few years. It's fairly fast (although works well I think slow) and needs to be played in a flowing manner. There is a melody at times within the triplets and I did my best to play and notate that. It's entitled "A Situation" and is meant to convey the feelings one gets when confronted by the various "situations" in life. It starts off rather dire, mellows out and ends with dire and maybe trickling towards resolution; or not. I think, at least for me, that it's a lot of fun to play. If anyone is interested I put the work up on youtube along with the sheet music. If you do follow along you will no doubt notice that I do not stay true to the sheet music at the beginning "pulsing" area and in two "pulsing areas" in the middle. I just got a little carried away in those spots while playing.

#2587250 - 11/14/16 09:49 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:INBoston
Experience:3-4 years as a kid, restarted as an adult 11 months ago
Title of piece:Tango Jealousy
Composer:Jacob Gade
Duration:02:46
Source of music:Memorized score
Instrument used:Yamaha U1
Recording method:Audacity with a microphone
Additional info:This is a stretch for me, took me about 6 or so months to learn. I originally had two more sections memorized but decided it was too long and a bit repetitive (plus I just kept losing steam and getting it messed up) so my teacher and I decided to shorten.

Still a lot to work on here, some very obvious blunders, voicing and dynamics need work, technique is underdeveloped, and list goes on. That said, 11 months ago I did not think I would even be able to attempt something like this, so all in all, I am pretty happy.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

I am so hungry... this low carb diet is not going to last if I am to be a pleasant person to be around.

#2587251 - 11/14/16 09:50 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:MarieJ
Experience:A couple of brief dabbles half a century apart before discovering Einaudi in December 2011. Self taught since.
Title of piece:Come un Fiore
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:03:54
Source of music:'Una Mattina' sheet music album
Instrument used:Yamaha P95, Pianoteq 5.6
Recording method:WAV file recorded by Pianoteq, converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:'Come un Fiore' - 'like a flower' - can be categorised as another one of Einaudi's 'calm and evocative' compositions. This gentle piece made its only appearance on an ABF Recital in February 2009, so I thought it was time to give it a second airing.

Practising and rehearsing on my Yamaha C3, I tried to record from the acoustic with my Zoom. But thanks to the continuing racket from tradespeople building neighbouring houses, I gave up and fired up Pianoteq instead.

I'm particularly talented at managing a flub at a different place in every recording I make, and although this one comes complete with occasional ghost notes and some unevenness, out of countless takes it's my best so far.

#2587252 - 11/14/16 09:50 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Monica K.
Experience:Approximately 12.5 years, self-taught
Video link:https://youtu.be/PbWyEnfl8aE
Home page link:http://www.youtube.com/pianomonica
Title of piece:Night (Carpark Sessions arrangement)
Composer:Ludovico Einaudi
Duration:06:03
Source of music:Transcription of Carpark Sessions arrangement made by CarlosCC, with a few revisions made by me to try to make it easier and/or closer to the Carpark Sessions recording.
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin A
Recording method:Audio recorded with Zoom H4, amplified in Audacity. Video recorded with Zoom Q8.
Additional info:"Night" is my favorite piece on the Elements album, but I always thought the solo piano arrangement in the sheet music collection did not do justice to its beauty. When I heard Einaudi's solo piano version of the piece on the Carpark Sessions video, I was captivated. Alas, I am totally incompetent when it comes to playing something by ear, so I could not work it out myself. Fortunately for me, CarlosCC generously shared a transcription he wrote of the Carpark Sessions variation with me. I changed it a little to make it closer to Einaudi's arrangement (the fact that my changes ALSO made it easier to play is a sheer albeit happy coincidence), with one important exception: I really liked the interesting harmonics Carlos introduced in measures 115-123, so I kept it the way he wrote it. smile

Lunch was leftover lemony red lentil soup, which I made from a recipe in the thoroughly entertaining but R-rated "Thug Kitchen" cookbook.

#2587253 - 11/14/16 09:51 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:peterws
Experience:Don`t even ask!
Video link:http://youtu.be/al62UGDkbms
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/dashboard?o=U
Title of piece:Schumann (again) 15 - 3 and 5
Composer:Robert Schumann
Duration:01:59
Source of music:Book of opus 15 stuff.
Instrument used:Roland FP50 for the first. PIanoteq C. Bechstein for the second.
Recording method:Audacity and videopad, old version because that`s the only one I have patience with!
Additional info:Interesting little pieces, each occupying a page only. These are quick on their feet, too fast for me to be comfortable with. So I tried `em slower, and it just doesn`t work. You got my best shot; both were recorded separately through necessity. The second. I got a take on that, but after the recording, played around with it and it went well, so I used it instead. That is the reason the vid`s a bit . . . .naff. I dithered a bit towards the end. As you do at my age.

These little pieces were much beloved by Schumann himself, they present their own challenge from which there is no escape!

#2587255 - 11/14/16 09:51 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:AZ_Astro
Experience:Coming up on 5 years
Title of piece:My Heart Will Go On (Theme to Titanic)
Composer:James Horner
Duration:02:59
Source of music:Play by ear
Instrument used:Korg SP-250 Midi keyboard as input to computer VST / Garritan CFX software. Cantabile player/recorder.
Recording method:I used the included recording capability of Ivory Cantibile software.
Additional info:This represents a departure for me as it is my own arrangement of a contemporary piece and my repertoire is almost entirely classical. Several years ago, I listened to four or five versions of Titanic on Youtube and then combined the best elements of what I liked into my own arrangement. It took me several weeks to put it together and I did it all by ear listening to Youtube. I "wrote" the arrangement and memorized it - then shelved the project, only playing it once in a while these past two or three years. I never forgot it entirely but it was always pretty rusty after many months without playing it at all. For me, it's one of those pieces that I get tired of playing after only five or six repetitions.

For this recital, I had five or six candidates to try to polish. This one was reasonably close so I decided to try a few recordings to see what I could come up with. This was my fourth attempt at recording, so I guess I'm improving because usually it takes me about 30 recordings before I am satisfied! There are the usual blips and blemishes in my play - some unevenness in rhythm and dynamics, a few missed notes, some poor judgement in sensitivity and timing; but it is what it is! It is fairly representative of my playing after what is now coming up on five years of learning the piano. I think I am finally going to be happy with my play in about five more years!

For the most part I would say that I am self-taught. A background with other instruments (percussion, trumpet, classical guitar, years of each) helped significantly. I would estimate that I have averaged about an hour of piano practice every day over these past five years, so I'm coming up on 2000 hours of playing. I can sit down and play from memory about 60 minutes of classical pieces. At the same time I am always learning six or eight new pieces from scores - which require deciphering. The new pieces give me a lot of satisfaction as they are new to my ear and often fun to play. I work out fingering very carefully for new pieces and write the fingering on the score. Listening to PianoWorld recitals has exposed me to a lot of pieces to learn and I am very thankful for everyones' contributions.

For those who may wonder about the final two or three measures - the low E signifies the stern of the Titanic sinking beneath the waves. I have a midi file of this arrangment if anyone is interested in having it (send PM). The midi file can be viewed in Synthesia to learn the piece.

#2587256 - 11/14/16 09:51 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Kris Shendo
Experience:a few years as a child, now returning as an adult and trying to recover lost skills
Title of piece:Cattle Call, Opus 17, No.22
Composer:Edvard Grieg
Duration:01:10
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:VPC1 with sample library
Recording method:digitally into laptop
Additional info:Grieg's Opus 17 is a collection of Norwegian folk songs and dances. I first heard this little piece as a small child. It was adopted as the theme music for 'The Woodentops' - part of the 'Watch with Mother' BBC television series for young children in the 1950s. For those interested in the charming but somewhat amateur beginnings of UK television for children, there's an episode on YouTube!

#2587257 - 11/14/16 09:56 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:lyricmudra
Experience:Learned piano as a child but stopped when I was about 13 or 14 years old. Did not touch the piano for 35 years until about six years ago. Like many of us here at ABF, life and profession just took over. I remember learning from a Thompson book and moving on to Hanon lessons, but skipping the scale exercises entirely, which if I recall correctly was almost half of the Hanon book. Then I had some Czerny for velocity and dexterity. My piano teacher, however, preferred that I jump right into 'real' pieces and learn technique along the way. Unfortunately, music theory was not part of my lessons. This is why I am unable to comprehend a piece conceptually or structurally, or why I don't have the language to explain what I am doing musically. My early training lacked this intellectual component. However, I believe I learned the most by being part of a boys' choir, by understanding early enough that playing the piano is like singing, knowing the importance of connectedness (legato) and phrasing, and understanding the breath during emotional expression. These were the elements that accelerated my process of relearning the piano later in life. I have not had a piano teacher since I started the relearning process, but would like to work with one in the future. I am willing to start at a more basic level if that will provide me with a more 'proper' and thorough training that includes sight reading, aural training, music theory, etc.. For now, I play the piano primarily for pleasure and personal fulfillment.
Video link:https://youtu.be/N4cffFMLVoc
Home page link:https://www.youtube.com/user/lyricmudra
Title of piece:Sonata in F Minor, K. 466 (L. 118)
Composer:Scarlatti
Duration:03:53
Instrument used:Kawai RX-2 Blak
Recording method:Kodak Zi8 (video) and Zoom H4N (audio)
Additional info:This is the second Scarlatti sonata that I have learned, recorded, and submitted to the ABF recitals. While both were fortunately quite manageable on a technical level for me given the very limited amount of time I can practice piano, I felt that the task of interpretation did not end even at the point of recording. As I kept exploring and searching for my own take on the two pieces, I felt as if there were layers and layers to peel. A day after recording this second piece, I still felt that I could peel another layer and probe further its depths. I suspect I will go through the same if I attempt another Scarlatti sonata -- like a blank canvas with limitless musical possibilities.

#2587258 - 11/14/16 09:56 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Riddler (Ed)
Experience:Two or three years of lessons as a kid; three years of jazz lessons as an adult; and a lifetime of noodling and playing by ear.
Home page link:http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Body and Soul
Composer:Johnny Green
Duration:04:16
Source of music:Lead sheet
Instrument used:Yamaha P-120
Recording method:Pianoteq/Audacity
Additional info:This has been called the granddaddy of all jazz songs, the quintessential torch song, and the most popular jazz song of all time. Oddly enough, it was composed not by a well-known jazz musician, but by a stockbroker named Johnny Green, in 1930. In those years, the word "Body" was considered too racy, so when the song was played on the radio, the title was often omitted. Over the years, however, it became very popular, and it has been recorded by many generations of jazz musicians. I am playing unaccompanied, working from a lead sheet. I plagiarized some chord arpeggiation tricks from pianist Fabrizio Caligaris, and stole the coda from John Coltrane.

#2587259 - 11/14/16 10:01 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:SwissMS/Doris
Experience:About eight years
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyvzZGSua-I
Title of piece:Prayer of the Matador
Composer:Norman dello Joio
Duration:01:40
Instrument used:Bechstein Grand
Recording method:Q4 Zoom
Additional info:I recorded this pieces earlier this year. We are in the process of moving from Switzerland to Spain, and my grand is currently in storage in Switzerland. We are having an apartment remodeled here, and so will not have room for the grand until February. My rental upright is way out of tune, and I don't want to subject anyone to that!

Dello Joio is an American composer of Spanish descent. This piece has a Flamenco flair to it, so it seemed like a good choice for my first submission from Andalucia!

#2587260 - 11/14/16 10:01 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Richard (zrtf90)
Title of piece:Nocturne in C# Minor, Op. 27/1
Composer:Chopin
Duration:06:30
Additional info:I first got this piece 'ready' over three years ago, nearly four now, but every time I recorded it I heard something I wanted to change, not just in the playing - I'll never be able to play as well as I imagine a piece - but in the conception, the piece as I hear it in my head. For nearly two years I've stopped making changes and am just trying to match my idea of it. I've played this with informal audiences for about that time and I still practise much of it in isolated segments spread over a twelve week period. I have all my ducks lined up now with this piece so I just have to learn to hit 'em.

The expansive left hand loses a lot of counterspace when played too fast making the texture too thick for the single note cantilena and the emotion seems to drain out of the melody leaving it somewhat trite. I once had a boss who used to lower his voice and whisper slowly when he got to the important bits because it made us listen more. I want this effect here. The slower it's played the harder it is to cover errors, like having light shine through windows onto dirty laundry, but it does give access to more emotional weight, allows the quintuplets to sound relaxed and not break the mood and gets the ritardandos to cushion the phrase endings so they aren't missed. I think this is the finest of Chopin's Nocturnes and I want to bring out more of the tragedy written into it.

One of the hardest things for me to do is slow down a piece once it's been up to tempo and here I want to play it slower than I have done, previously modelled on Rubinstein and Arrau, though not quite as quick as them - these were the days when I only had vinyl. Recently I've been trying to get closer to Idil Biret's 1991 version (not the one on YouTube). She gets the delicious top C at the start of the fourth phrase (1:23) better than Rubinstein. I could savour that note all day!

It's a great study piece for left hand. The right hand can be sight read pretty much all through without loss of tempo but the LH, normally confined to a backing role, is around eighty per cent of the focus and a constant drain on energy and concentration.

Playing slower makes accuracy easier but it's a huge drain on focus, it needs a lot of restraint and constant monitoring; I can't relax. Practising in small sections really helps but when I play the whole piece at weekends I have to rest afterwards. This is a sure sign I've not played it enough. I love that feeling I get when I play something so familiar and ingrained I can play it how I imagine it without having to even think about what the hands are doing, I can't wait for this piece to get there.

I've learnt a good bit from this piece in terms of pedalling and phrasing especially while watching Yulianna Avdeeva whose video of this piece taught me some fingering ideas and arm movements that I wouldn't have thought of on my own, so thanks to her - I'm sure she tunes in here!

Thanks also to Forrest Halford for pointing out my poor pedalling. I don't know if I've improved from tweaking the settings in the Kawai VT, monitoring Pianoteq while playing or just from paying more attention but it seems to be working. I'm pleased with my progress and grateful for the heads up.

One problem at the moment is the piu mosso - I don't want it to sound like a doppio movimento but more tentative, like having to rush across rocks at a coast, not fast in ground speed but as fast as is safe from rock to rock and with room to speed up as the rocks blend into solid ground.

I have the tempo pretty much where I want it but it sometimes sounds ponderous at the start (2:44). What I need to do is to find out how to get the initial entry like it is in my head. It's about right at the forte section (2:58) where the off-beat quaver becomes a semiquaver. I'm convinced it's a technical problem that's largely to do with dynamics and the balance between the hands and the voices and not a tempo issue. I must soften the non-melody notes but is the melody in the octaves or the inner voices? Which ones need to come out and can I manage the difference at speed and in situ? I'm not sure I've got it right in isolation yet but I no longer have a teacher and it's at places like this that I could use more input for the problem solving. The climax of the section (3:11 - 3:25) is just where I want it.

I usually record on Pianoteq while monitoring on the Kawai soundboard but I practised and recorded this while monitoring Pianoteq on headphones instead. It makes a huge difference and I've known this for a while but I prefer to listen on speakers as any mistakes feel more distant and I'm less likely to react to them so it's taken a while to get to doing this. Playing on headphones makes the sound so 'in-your-face' that I think I try to listen less (or through it) and that's not good for practising.

The con anima section (3:48) is another place where the dynamic balance affects the apparent tempo. I've played it how I want it in patches but not consistently. If the left hand is too heavy, or both hands overall, the sound is strident but at the same tempo with a lighter LH it's just right. Bringing out the voicing correctly still escapes me when playing in situ (very close in this recording but no cigar) though I often get it in isolation. When I hear Arrau playing this section it's so fast it almost sounds comical and both he and Rubinstein have been my touchstones for Chopin.

I don't know how or why the Kawai sounds so poor in a recording compared to how it sounds in headphones but I record using Pianoteq because of that difference. I don't expect a digital piano to sound like an acoustic but I do want it to respond like one. Pianoteq responds more appropriately to keyboard input than any sampled library I've tried but while I have to turn on another computer to play piano the built-in sound will do most of the time. Ah, me!

Still, I'm very happy with this, I recorded it warmed up - I played nearly two hours of repertoire before I played this with short breaks after intense pieces so I was physically and emotionally ready for it.

Thanks again to Monica and all the support team that make these recitals possible even if, with the themed recitals, they seem to be coming so thick and fast that commenting is a bit of a logistical problem from time to time.

As a final note, I began learning this piece in the mid-nineties before my fifteen year hiatus. Back then I was too busy deciphering all the ledger lines for the low C# in the last phrase (five; count 'em, one, two, loads...) and didn't notice the forzato for a long time. It's the key of the piece - why did I have to keep working it out? I know it's there now but I still forget while playing and I miss it here. Sorry about that.

#2587261 - 11/14/16 10:01 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:qazsedcft
Experience:2 years
Title of piece:Prelude in F
Composer:Henri Bertini
Duration:00:40
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Kawai CN 34
Recording method:USB to PC
Additional info:I decided on a whim to participate in the recital but didn't have anything ready so I decided to pick something really easy. This is a piece I have worked on with my teacher about a year ago that I brought back and recorded just now.

#2587262 - 11/14/16 10:02 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Greener/Jeff
Experience:My Dad taught me from the age of about 9 - 15 very casually and intermittently. Then again with a little more dedicated approach when I was in my late 20's for a couple of years. At that time it was a lead sheet approach. I've taken up Piano again now in my 50's and trying my hand at reading and classical which to this point had been largely skipped over, but not entirely.
Title of piece:Waltz in A Minor, Op. Posthumous
Duration:02:32
Source of music:Sheet music.
Instrument used:Yamaha UX-1
Recording method:3 mics, cubase.
Additional info:This piece was quite a bit harder then I thought it was going to be. Chopin always does that. The arpeggio was tough to get up to a decent tempo in short order. Not that I didn't have sufficient time, but for some reason I'd lost track and thought I had an extra month when the 1st reminder was mentioned. A couple of more weeks would have helped.

I like the piece and am still frequenting it until it comes completely smooth, clean and steady tempo, which unfortunately was not entirely the case with this recording. I'll likely play it in the next live recital I attend if the opportunity presents itself before Christmas.

Thank you for listening.

#2587263 - 11/14/16 10:02 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:outo
Experience:About 5 + some childhood lessons
Title of piece:Prelude op 74-4
Composer:Scriabin, Alexander
Duration:01:17
Source of music:Sheet music, Dover edition
Instrument used:Bluthner Baby Grand from 1950. Not tuned yet after arrival and with a few non working dampers. Will be better!
Recording method:Olympus LS-5 directly to MP3
Additional info:This is a trial recording that I will update if I can. If I didn't, there are wrong notes and timing mistakes. My hands are too small, some days work better some days not smile

I absolutely love these late Scriabin pieces. The harmonies are so wonderful. Cannot play them like they should be played but I will anyway! He can roll in his grave as much as he wants, just hope he won't come out to haunt me...

#2587264 - 11/14/16 10:03 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Schubertian
Experience:7
Title of piece:Nocturne Op 62 No 2
Duration:04:50
Source of music:Wiener Urtext
Instrument used:Estonia 6'2" grand
Recording method:Zoom H4 direct to MP4, the recorder was lying inside the instrument, in contact with the sound board
Additional info:I submitted this same piece for the last recital and was curious to see what - if any - progress there might be - there are still some barbarisms but I'm basically satisfied that it is coming along

#2587265 - 11/14/16 10:03 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Sand Tiger
Experience:4+ years, with many more years on other instruments
Home page link:http://sandtigerpiano.blogspot.com/
Title of piece:Noah and the Raven
Composer:Sand Tiger
Duration:02:09
Source of music:Original composition in D/G
Instrument used:Casio PX-150 digital
Recording method:Direct recording on the Casio PX-150. Then to Audacity for a volume boost.
Technical feedback wanted:No
Additional info:Most of us have heard about Noah's Ark. This piece is an imaginary conversation between Noah and a Raven. The Raven tells Noah that he is crazy, an idiot, sowing seeds of self-doubt. In the end, Noah goes ahead and builds the ark.

#2587266 - 11/14/16 10:03 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:chopinoholic (Paul de Koning)
Experience:long time
Title of piece:Sonata op.57 F minor mvmt 1
Composer:Beethoven
Duration:11:52
Source of music:Henle Urtext
Instrument used:Pleyel 205 grand from 1977
Recording method:Zoom H4n with Superlux s502 mic
Additional info:Piano is still not tuned.

One of the best known sonatas out there, this piece is a challenge to play even if it was twice as easy! It is played so many times.
Lots has been written about it, but it was not performed during Beethoven's lifetime. It was found that it was too dark and had too much sudden mood swings.

I'm not much of a story teller so If you want to know more about this sonata check this article which I enjoyed reading.

This is a one take recording. When listening to it I can make notes every second, of things I would change (which I did actually). I would like to increase the tempo just a bit, but that's not going to happen just yet! I need to play the repeated notes sections more even. The second theme can be more lyrical. Tempo should be more steady throughout. And a lot more!
It is a work in progress and I need to perform it on a recital arranged by my teacher where a couple of the students perform in a church with probably an audience of tens of people and maybe more than a hundred. So this recording is for me a very good exersize and it gave me new pointers as to where to put more effort in practising.

Please tell me what you think and be honest. wink

I hope you enjoy. wink

#2587267 - 11/14/16 10:04 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:blackjack1777
Experience:2 Years with approximately 2 Hours per day of practice time on average. (Using Alfred's All in One with a Piano Teacher weekly)
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/blackjack1777/
Title of piece:Menuet Gminor (BWV 115) and Menuet Dminor (BWV 132)
Composer:Johann Sebastian Bach
Duration:02:54
Source of music:Both of these pieces are played from memory and came from First Lessons in Bach (Alfred Masterwork Edition). I highly recommend this book to anyone with a year or two of piano playing experience and an interest in learning Bach.
Instrument used:2014 Wm. Knabe & Co. 48" Academy Series Upright Acoustic Piano (Model# WMV 121)
Recording method:Tascam DR-05 and Audacity Software
Additional info:I submitted 2 pieces for this recital because each is so short, Menuet Gminor (BWV 115) and Menuet Dminor (BWV 132). Both pieces are from The Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach. The German Baroque composer Johann Sebastian Bach presented this music book to his second wife, Anna Magdalena, as a present.

The music featured is primarily for the piano (minuets, rondeaux, polonaises, chorales, sonatas, preludes, etc) although there are also a few pieces for voice (songs, and arias) that are included. It was originally published in 1725.

Both of these pieces are my very first attempts at learning and playing Bach. I enjoyed both of them because of their slow, sad feel.

The primary reason I enjoy these pieces are because of all of the details in the dynamics and the balance of tone between the right and left hand melodies. If you listen carefully you will be able to hear in the second half of the Dminor Menuet, for example, the piece transitions between the left hand melody and right hand melody during the repeat. Truly this is something wonderful to play and I'm happy that my teacher asked me to add this interpretation to the piece.

Another reason I enjoy these pieces are every note says something to the listener. There is nothing extra in this piece except that which is necessary. It is beautiful in it's spartan nature. We rarely celebrate such things in our modern world. I welcome everyone who hears this to enjoy the beauty that is so simply created from the genius of Bach on the piano 300 years ago.

Listen to what these pieces say to you and the soft, simple melodies, subtle dynamics, and lethargic tempo will take you away to another time, to a beautiful place.

#2587268 - 11/14/16 10:04 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:joangolfing
Experience:15+
Title of piece:Lecon de danse (The Dance Lesson)
Composer:Alexandre Tansman
Duration:01:40
Source of music:Sheet music, Pour les Enfants 2nd Set of Four Collections of Little Pieces for Piano (Graded)
Instrument used:Yamaha GC1 Grand Piano
Recording method:Zoom H2 with audacity
Additional info:At the last PW recital Ralphiano played Chant Ancien (Old Song). I was inspired to get these four collections of Alexandre Tansman's piano music. Tansman was a Polish composer of Jewish origin. He spent his early years in Poland and lived in France most of his life. I am playing in a Piano Festival soon and memorized 3 pieces. One of them, The Dance Lesson, (Lecon de danse) was chosen for this recital. I play it memorized in this recording. Hopefully someone else will find Tansman's music to be enchanting.

#2587269 - 11/14/16 10:05 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:tjbron
Experience:14 years as a youth, about a year and a half as an adult after a nearly two decade hiatus.
Title of piece:Nocturne Op. 9 No. 1, b flat minor
Duration:06:42
Source of music:G. Henle Verlag, Urtext
Instrument used:Mason & Hamlin BB, 1927
Recording method:Digital Camcorder (Canon M40) on manual mic level. Audacity to convert to MP3. Much happier with this vs. my last submission.
Additional info:My piano teacher's note says I was introduced to this piece on Halloween, 1991. I don't recall if I mastered it at the age of 12, but I can tell you it almost felt like I was starting from scratch with it this year. I wish my performance was smoother, and I almost lost the whole take at the end, but this is my best effort today.

#2587270 - 11/14/16 10:05 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Pavel.K
Experience:almost 5 years
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/pavel-k/
Title of piece:Prelude in D flat Major Op.28 No.15
Duration:06:05
Source of music:Memorized from a sheet music
Instrument used:Roland FP-7F + Pianoteq Bechstein
Recording method:Pianoteq to wav and then to Reaper for a conversion to mp3.
Additional info:Well, this piece is above my skills. And it is the longest piece I have ever tried to learn.
But I always wanted to try it so here it is :-)
Unfortunately I was not able to make a recording without mistakes due to reasons mentioned above.
My first recording had a faster tempo, took about 5:15 and was played on Pianoteq Bluethner - you can listen to it at my soundcloud profile. My final recording for the recital has a slower tempo and was played on Pianoteq Bechstein.
This piece is the most beautiful one from the Preludes Op.28. ...but you know this can be said about all of them :-)
And which one should have a nickname Raindrop? No.6 or No.15?
I always thought that it belongs more to No.6 but now I am not sure.
Take care.

#2587272 - 11/14/16 10:06 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:JustinDAggie
Experience:4-ish
Video link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNzVyX9qKpw
Title of piece:Prelude in G Minor Op 23 No 5
Composer:Rachmaninoff
Duration:05:04
Source of music:Sheet Music
Instrument used:Steinway L 1967
Recording method:i-phone
Additional info:This is a "stretch" piece for sure.

FYI, My favorite version of this that I've found on youtube is Evgeny Kissin's.
I haven't had lunch yet and I'm starting to get hungry!

#2587273 - 11/14/16 10:06 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Piano2138
Experience:7 months
Title of piece:BWV 514 Schaff's mit mir, Gott
Composer:Bach
Duration:00:58
Source of music:Bach - Selections from Anna Magdalena's Notebook, Alfred Publishing Co
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-585
Recording method:Piano to USB, WAV normalized & converted to MP3 with Audacity
Additional info:This is my first Bach piece, probably the easiest piano piece from the Notebook, if only 2 voices are played, as I did.
This is also my first participation at the ABF recital.

#2587274 - 11/14/16 10:06 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:CarlosCC
Experience:Almost 7 years(Self-taught since Dec2009)
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/carloscc-2
Title of piece:Nightbook
Composer:Einaudi
Duration:06:26
Source of music:played by ear/memory; adapted from the original sheet music.
Instrument used:Yamaha P85 (Grand Piano 1)
Recording method:Digital to PC
Additional info:This piece is from the "Nightbook" album (2009) and it was written for piano and orchestra. I'm still working on a solo version of this piece - more intimate and slow - but this time I decided to send the "original" version. Well, I did some small variations in the last session but I think I kept the spirit of it.
Thanks for listening.

#2587275 - 11/14/16 10:06 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:7 years
Title of piece:Prelude op. 6 number 6
Composer:Robert Muczynski
Duration:01:15
Instrument used:1927 Bechstein Model L
Additional info:These preludes were composed the year that I was born - 1954. Muczynski was an American composer who studied with Alexander Tcherepnin at DePaul University in Chicago. He taught composition at the University of Arizona for almost 30 years, and passed away in 2010.

There are six of the preludes, and this is the last one of the set. It is one minute that goes by almost too fast to think. It should be even faster, but I have to work hard to keep the tempo down to something I can manage for the entire piece.

This is an excellent example of the piano as a percussion instrument. The piece is built on major and minor thirds, and uses Bb as a "home" note, but it would be really stretching it to say it was in any key. There are motives that keep returning, and repeated ostinato figures.

The range is from the lowest note to the highest Bb. Getting my arms to move around that fast without missing is another challenge I haven't yet mastered.

But its fun to play when it goes well - when it doesn't its just a mess. Of course, keep the rhythm steady and the audience may not notice note errors!

#2587276 - 11/14/16 10:07 PM Re: Recital 44 --- November 15, 2016 [Re: AB Forum Recital]  
AB Forum Recital Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Performer's name:Montuno
Experience:8 months (started November 2015 but missed part of the year because of an injured finger from beach volleyball)
Title of piece:Wonderland
Composer:David Nevue
Duration:03:42
Instrument used:Casio PX-150
Recording method:Pianoteq (D4 Classical Recording BA)
Additional info:Yay, my first ever recital submission! I had never heard of David Nevue until I read about him in the Einaudi thread and when I checked out his site I immediately fell in love with this piece.

This was the hardest piece I learned yet - and certainly the longest by far. I decided to enter the recital less than two weeks ago, so I was on a pretty tight schedule. And boy, was it hard work.

Once I thought I only needed to put everything together the frustration started. I would lose concentration over a badly played note or my mind would just wander off at some part. And then I could not even make the intro sound smooth. Frustration, frustration. And doubt, would I even make the deadline?

Then came the light bulb moment - I had been doing it all wrong. Listening to the original I realised that the piece is about the left hand. I had tried to keep the left hand quiet so the right hand stands out, but that makes the piece sound stale.

Instead I started to make the left hand 'sing', using what felt like exaggerated dynamics to support and accent the melody. And that worked quite well. And it even helped my concentration problem. Probably because I am always busy now to think how I want the left hand to sound.

I'm pretty happy with the result, there's some hesitations in the later part of the piece, but overall it was ok. So glad that I decided to enter the recital, this was really an excellent lesson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Looking for a keyboard for worship music
by Morodiene. 01/18/18 08:39 AM
Kawai announces KDP110 digital piano
by Kawai James. 01/18/18 05:50 AM
Kawai announces Concert Artist CA58 digital piano
by Kawai James. 01/18/18 05:24 AM
DEXIBELL VIVO SX7 PIANO/SOUND MODULE
by Marko in Boston. 01/18/18 04:50 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics183,845
Posts2,688,133
Members89,474
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Check It Out!
There's a lot more to Piano World than just the forums.
Click Here to
Explore The Rest of Piano World!!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission