2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hello! I've been a frequent visitor of this website because it seems like there are many knowledgeable people here!! So I created this account to ask for help! :-( I need help with choosing a piano. frown The thing is... I've been using a Young Chang PE-121 for 7 years and i've reached a point where I feel that the piano is limiting me because it's too light, too loud, doesn't have a wide dynamic range.

My teacher has advised me to get a new piano, preferably a grand. The problem is that my house is kinda small and the biggest baby grand i can get is probably a C2X.
However, I don't think my parents will be willing to spend on a C2X so I only have the YUS5 and C1X to choose from.

Yamaha's having a year-end promotion and is selling the C1X for $25,499 and YUS5 for $12,999. Among the other uprights, I found the YUS5 upright piano to be the most similar to a grand although there are some subtle difference in touch and a huge difference in sound (duh). I prefer the action and the sound of the C1X to the YUS5 but I'm not sure whether the C1X is worth the money... frown
IT'S A $12,500 DIFFERENCE. frown

Also, this will be the first and last time I'm changing a piano so the next piano i get gotta be good enough to last me through all my diplomas and possibly even further.
I seriously made this account just to consult the people on this forum ......... I have to decide quickly before the promotion ends.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That's an okay, but not earth-shattering deal on a C1X, when comparing the SMP price in the current Piano Buyer. I would expect (in a brisk sales market, or with floor stock that's been sitting around for a year or two) to be able to pay that amount with or without a "year-end promotion". I am a fan of the YUS5, and almost bought a U5 years ago when I was looking for a great vertical piano (I still like them, but for the looks)...

If you're only considering Yamaha, have you added the GC2 into the mix? It's bigger than the C1X and cheaper than it. For that matter, have you considered recently-made used Yamahas? If regularly maintained and not overused by a pianist or student who practices on it for 4-5 hours a day, you might be able to find a good used C2, since they're fairly common.

There are other alternatives outside the Yamaha brand, of course, but I'm not going to go off on that tangent unless you really want us to...

Finally, what kind of repertoire are you playing now, and how much do you practice?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Platinum Subscriber
I am a huge fan of the newest Cx series of grands by Yamaha. [b]With proper prep{/b] these pianos are different than anything Yamaha put out historically. If you search my posts from years ago you will see that I was not a fan of the tone of these pianos for years.

I am now a fan.

The YUS5 is a killer upright, as is the Walter, and the Mason 50", but a grand action makes a difference to many players.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Hi! Thank you for your response! :)) The prices of the said yamaha models are fixed (i think?) because I'm buying the piano directly from Yamaha. Also, the prices are in SGD hehe smile

I've looked at some second-hand C1Xs and YUS5s but the prices the owners have set are still quite high considering their age. if not, i would've settled on a second hand piano. I've tried the GC1 and found it very different from the C1X! The GC1 was really soft and the it had a really heavy touch, although my judgement might have been affected because it was kinda noisy then. The Yamaha branch i visited didn't have the GC2 so I didn't try it... frown

Currently I'm playing Beethoven piano sonata no. 5 in C minor, 1st movement of Grieg's sonata in e minor, bach toccata in e minor, George Gershwin's The Man I love & I got rhythm.
Anyway, I try to practise everyday, for as long as I can xD

Thank you!!

L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
I am a huge fan of the newest Cx series of grands by Yamaha. [b]With proper prep{/b] these pianos are different than anything Yamaha put out historically. If you search my posts from years ago you will see that I was not a fan of the tone of these pianos for years.

I am now a fan.

The YUS5 is a killer upright, as is the Walter, and the Mason 50", but a grand action makes a difference to many players.

My 2 cents,

Your comment is greatly appreciated!! smile thank you.

L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Anyways, SGD25,499 is equivalent to USD18086.71 and
SGD12,999 = USD9220.33, according to google

G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
That's much better.

I think you might appreciate the jump to a grand more than to another upright, even though the upright is a very good YUS5. The projection on a grand is more "surround", the touch is also different and closer to the concert pianos.

Have you looked at other used brands for better prices?

B
BDB Offline
B
I think the upright will be perfectly adequate. Too much is made of the differences, as most people will never notice. If there are differences, going from an upright to a grand will not be a bad transition. Maintaining an upright action is simpler than maintaining a grand action, so it should be less expensive to own. However, I have a caveat about that: When upright hammers have worn a lot, the action cannot be regulated as well as a grand piano. However, in both cases, the hammers should be replaced when they have worn to that amount anyway.

Semipro Tech
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Hi BDB this is interesting can you elaborate on why upright action is simpler to maintain? Is it partly due to it being protected by the cabinet whereas in a grand it is more exposed?

B
BDB Offline
B
Overall, the insides of a upright tend to stay better than the insides of grands for the reason you say. But the upright action is simpler, so it is easier to regulate.

Semipro Tech
L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by gnuboi
That's much better.

I think you might appreciate the jump to a grand more than to another upright, even though the upright is a very good YUS5. The projection on a grand is more "surround", the touch is also different and closer to the concert pianos.

I haven't looked at other used brands... My teacher suggested Hailun because they're cheaper but I don't know much about their pianos.. frown

What other brands do you suggest I take a look at? smile

L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by BDB
I think the upright will be perfectly adequate. Too much is made of the differences, as most people will never notice. If there are differences, going from an upright to a grand will not be a bad transition. Maintaining an upright action is simpler than maintaining a grand action, so it should be less expensive to own. However, I have a caveat about that: When upright hammers have worn a lot, the action cannot be regulated as well as a grand piano. However, in both cases, the hammers should be replaced when they have worn to that amount anyway.

The difference in touch was quite apparent to me though... Other than the touch, I liked how the YUS5 sounded! smile It was a lot better than the GC1.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by lxt
That's much better.

I haven't looked at other used brands... My teacher suggested Hailun because they're cheaper but I don't know much about their pianos.. frown

Since you live in Singapore, you might get better help on used brands if you let us know what is available there so that you do not get suggestions for pianos you cannot find.

J
J
I can tell you what you want to hear, but
Originally Posted by lxt

Also, this will be the first and last time I'm changing a piano so the next piano i get gotta be good enough to last me through all my diplomas and possibly even further.

You will change.

Originally Posted by lxt

I seriously made this account just to consult the people on this forum ......... I have to decide quickly before the promotion ends.

Don't

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by lxt

The difference in touch was quite apparent to me though... Other than the touch, I liked how the YUS5 sounded! smile It was a lot better than the GC1.

The feel of the action may be different, but your ability to play anything on either action should not.

Semipro Tech
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Don't let the tail wag the dog, i.e., don't let the end of the year-end sale drive your decision. With the amount of money you are spending and the length of time you expect to keep the piano, take some time to look around.

A lot of people really like the C2X. You could use it for a long time before you outgrew it. The cost, averaged over the number of years you use it, probably wouldn't be that much different than some of the less expensive brands/models.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by lxt
That's much better.

Since you live in Singapore, you might get better help on used brands if you let us know what is available there so that you do not get suggestions for pianos you cannot find.

Most brands are available here, just that they're a little hard to find and there aren't many models to choose from frown
The brands that I have seen in shops, are Yamaha, Kawai, Samick, Weber, Bechstein, Bohemia, Young Chang, Cristofori, Essex, Hailun, and other brands (I can't think of them now but I tried them and they didn't sound that good). Yamaha and Kawai are the better known brands because of their affordability and quality so they have a much higher resale value than the other brands (not referring to luxury brands such as steinway and sons, bosendorfer or fazioli obviously.) smile

L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Just Steven
I can tell you what you want to hear, but
Originally Posted by lxt

You will change.

Originally Posted by lxt

Don't

Ahh I meant that i have to decide quickly whether or not to buy a Yamaha, because if I am, it's always better to buy one during the promotion period, right?

>.< But I'm assuming you're trying to say that it's not worth getting a baby grand at that price?

L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by lxt

The feel of the action may be different, but your ability to play anything on either action should not.

Yeah i agree but I'm still kinda bad at playing the piano, so it takes maybe one whole practice session for me to get accustomed to an unfamiliar piano?

Another reason why I'm changing my piano is because it's way too light! I can play on it easily but when I play a piano in school for an exam or at my teacher's house, I find it so heavy... frown Also, my current piano doesn't allow me to play that softly so when I'm playing 'piano' on my piano, it's actually pp or ppp on a piano with a heavy touch or even a a piano with regular touch. :(( I also can't do a half pedal on my current piano so it's messing up my pedalling.

Anyway, my piano is not as sensitive and it's really difficult to practise details and it's been slowing down my progress a lot, for a long time. Therefore, I'd like to change to a better piano asap:)

L
lxt Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Originally Posted by Stubbie
Don't let the tail wag the dog, i.e., don't let the end of the year-end sale drive your decision. With the amount of money you are spending and the length of time you expect to keep the piano, take some time to look around.

A lot of people really like the C2X. You could use it for a long time before you outgrew it. The cost, averaged over the number of years you use it, probably wouldn't be that much different than some of the less expensive brands/models.

I've been trying out different pianos for quite a while already smile I've narrowed down my choices to the YUS5 and C1X/C2X but looking at all the responses here, I'm once again, at loss frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission