2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
* All of the above statements are IMHO *

wink

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
One should have a humble onion with everything, it is good for the humors!

Kawai CN35. Daughter wanted a piano, so we got one. Now who'll learn faster? ;-)
D
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by rychubil
Originally Posted by ShoeiHat
Originally Posted by Doug M.

Best solution would be to find yourself a Laptop powerful enough to run a latency free Pianoteq, and take that to the piano store along with a great pair of headphones.

That's a good suggestion. However, I already bought the Yamaha before even starting this thread. smile

Pianoteq is not bad but it's a minimum quality of a good sound of VST piano IMHO.
I already own Ivory II American Steinway by "Synthogy" which is nice and reach but I discovered Steinway made by "Imprfect Samples" which is more acoustic and real. If someone love Bosendorfer sound, should go to Vienna Imperial by "VSL" - it's VERY acoustic monster! Also nice is Bechstein by EWQL. Maybe is not a superb but sounds sweet.
BTW - Currently I use Roland FP30 as a keyboard but VPC is my goal. Very nice cabinet and quite functional music desk has CS8. Better than CS11.

It's never too late for change to better sound I think.

I do like the Vienna Imperial, quite expensive lol.. Wonder how they compare with the Roland's modelled sound. I was going to buy a second hand VPC1 (for £650), but in the end, wanted to gig, so went with the MP7. Will definitely try out Ivory II at some point.

Last edited by Doug M.; 09/06/16 05:41 AM.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
P
P
Hello,

I’ve recently joined this forum and I’d like to post my personal observations on some digital pianos.
I’m using this thread because I’ve bought the Yamaha CLP-585. In my decision the comments on this forum were essential and special thanks to ShoeiHat for the well written opinions.
Please note I am a piano beginner with no knowledge/technique to test the capabilities of these pianos.

Cabinet:
The Yamaha Clavinova series and the Kawai CA-67 (no CA-97 in the only store selling Kawai in my region) look very nice. Polished ebony looks gorgeous, but adds to the price and gathers fingerprints.
Rolland looks also nice, but I preferred the control panel on the left, not in front, as it looks like a keyboard, even with the slide cover (you can still see the lights a bit) – not a deal breaker though.
I liked the idea that Samick Neo had to use a lid cover for the control panel.

Action:
Initially I started looking at CLP-535, but the keys were stiff and keyboard-like and by reading the specs I thought that CLP-545 wooden keys are just marketing; however its keys were much easier to play compared to CLP-535, even if they share the same key mechanism.
With Rolland I was distracted by the sounds of the keys.

Sound:
From the 2 main piano voices offered by Clavinova, I like more the Bosendorfer and thanks to this forum for the tips on how to enhance it to not sound as dull as with the default settings. The CFX Grand sounds a bit digital to me and even the CA-67 a tiny bit digital, but if I have to choose it would be the Kawai.
Over the headphones, the HP-603/HP-605 was strange, like the sound was coming from far away.

Price:
Maybe because there are less number of stores here in Canada, selling Kawai and Rolland, the digital pianos from these 2 manufactures are more expensive than Yamaha, compared what I see in US or Europe. For example CA-67 and HP-605 are more expensive than CLP-575 and CA-97 is more expensive than 585. LX7 & LX17 were excluded because they were above my budget.

Piano2138, thank you for sharing your thoughts, and congrats on your new piano!

Am I correct in thinking that the Kawai CS8/CS11 were not available in the dealer's store?

Kind regards,
James
x

I`m always surptised that the same action can sound and feel so different on different models. Down to the velocity curve, amongst other things. All carefully worked out in the factory offices . . . !

We need to hear this beast played. . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
P
P
Thank you Kawai James.
There were no CS8/CS11 on the floor, but I imagine it would be possible to order it, like it was proposed to me for CA-97. However these 2 models (and surprisingly also CA-97, more expensive than CLP-585) were above my budget. Judging from the large number of uprights and grand pianos (mostly Kawai), the dealer was focusing on acoustic pianos.

Slowly, Separately, Sections - Graham Fitch
My SoundCloud
B
B
I think you will be very happy with the CLP 585! If it would not have been so expensive, I would have gladly bought it myself. But now I went with the Kawai as I did not like the lower priced CLP´s. Soundwise I enjoyed the new Kawai samples more.

Okay, thank you Piano2138.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission