2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Ihana Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hello everyone,

I’m looking for a grand piano. I’m in Australia and we seem to have a lot fewer options than US and UK.

After some research and trying in the showroom, I’m down to the decision between Kawai GL40 ($21000) and GX2 ($26000).  At the moment I do like them both – with my not-so-sophisticated-ears (about 5 yrs playing now, still learning). While I do hope this is gonna be “THE PIANO” for me for the rest of my life (!!) that I don’t need another upgrade and can play it happily, enjoy the sound and action even when I’m a REALLY advanced player (hopefully) - I’m not sure if the $5000 difference is worthy to go up to GX2 – it is a bit stretch of my budget.

I found someone asked similar questions a while back, about old Kawai RX2 and GE/GM30, and pretty much everyone thought the upgrade definitely worth the money. I’m just wondering has anyone played the new Kawai GL series and can sure some thoughts about it? On some website some people said it’s on par with the old RX (whereas the new GX is even one more step up), but then some different people think GL is just the replacement of GE/GM, which’s the inferior series and can’t compete with RX let alone GX… I’m confused, and I’m not confident enough just to decide the purchase based my own trying/playing/listening……  GL is a rather new series, I can’t find many review about it, hope someone can share their experience please?

I also quite like the Yamaha C2X however it’s over my budget, it’s more than $30000 here in Australia L As for used ones… it’s really rare in my city, unless I’m flying to other states to try them – which’s really hard for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It's a harder choice now than it used to be, because the GL-40 is based on the same basic design as the GX-2. So the pianos are the same size and the same string scale.

Differences? Upgraded hammers, different action weighting methods (more sensitive touch in the GX, wider tonal palate); Better bridge design in GX, better rim materials in the GX. There are cabinet differences too, so if the appearance is important to you that can be a factor and is a part of the cost difference.

When I prepare and voice these pianos I can take the GX to a higher level than the GL. The difference is subtle to some players, but is really noticeable to others.

But is it worth it? There is no longevity difference, but if you notice that the action in the GX feels better, or if the tone seems to sing more or be more sensitive, then that would be what to consider. Listen to the low bass, listen to the treble and how it sings.

If the GL seems to be just as good to your hands and ears, then don't let the 'specs' sell you. Buy what speaks to you!

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
M
M
Do you have a teacher or more experienced piano playing friend that could try the pianos and give their opinion?

Or just go back and take as much time as you need to play them both and get more used to the touch and tone of each.

The price for the GX2 is really good by the way , as the retail price in Aus
is just on 36K.

As you continue learning and improving you may find the better long term
choice is the GX and well worth the extra money. It's a very good quality piano.

Good luck!

B
B
The main reason why I like the GX series more than the GL is the Konsai Kotagi rim on the GX. Essentially, instead of the rim being layers of Hard Wood / Hard Wood / Hard Wood to make that weird grand piano shape, it uses Soft Wood / Hard Wood / Soft Wood / Hard Wood etc - the size of the pores reflect the sound differently. Played side by side with a piano with a more traditional rim, I found the GX to have a more colorful sound that was more reactive and dynamic - more fun for you, the player. So for me, that was the main take away. If you can't tell the difference, than yeah, I'd agree with Don that they're both fantastic pianos and you can feel free to save some money with the GL-40.

President of Family Piano Co in Waukegan IL
Brendan@FamilyPiano.com - 847-775-1988
We proudly carry new Kawai, Casio and Roland instruments, plus refurbished.
T
T
I have had the opportunity to play a Shigeru Kawai, a Kawai GX and a GL series 5'11 sizes piano's side by side. You can clearly notice a difference in quality between these 3 series. The Shigeru Kawai was wonderful. Very rich sound. The GX was very good but the sound wasn't as rich as the Shigeru, but still very nice. The GL was a huge step down to me. Especially the touch. The piano felt "cheap" compared to the GX and Shigeru. Maybe because of the lac of neotex keys.
But I have to be honest, I had only 10 minutes to compare and did not compare to other brands and I just came from playing a GX and Shigeru. But I could clearly hear and feel where the price difference comes from between GL, GX and Shigeru series.
I'm curious to spent some more time on the GL series. I wonder if a GL can compare with other brands, for instance a Yamaha GB series.

S
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
If this is to be the last piano you purchase, I'd suggest you stretch into the GX-2. The benefits of better tone and more nuanced touch will be realized for many, many years to come.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

I have had the opportunity to play a Shigeru Kawai, a Kawai GX and a GL series 5'11 sizes piano's side by side. You can clearly notice a difference in quality between these 3 series. The Shigeru Kawai was wonderful. Very rich sound. The GX was very good but the sound wasn't as rich as the Shigeru, but still very nice. The GL was a huge step down to me. Especially the touch. The piano felt "cheap" compared to the GX and Shigeru.

While this is true, its also true the pianos are in vastly different price ranges. It's the situation some makers create trying to sell variable product on the market.
In mind mind pointless.

In today's market each price range offers several other makes/models with often superior quality to compete with.

Unless one is strictly tied to "brand" or is willing to "step up" in price, optimal results cannot easily be accomplished in today's vastly changing market. These are the facts.
Sorry, if inconvenient to some.

For example Shigeru is a superb piano often competing with others in same tier.
GX series is an impressive,newly designed piano competing head on with Yamaha CX. And so on. For most efficient buy one needs to compare "apples against apples"

By "stepping up" in price [easy to lecture..] pianos available at the new price point need to be evaluated against each other once again. This is what real competition is all about.

Of course, consumers should always decide for themselves - that's what it's all about.

Now go, close the thread again...

Norbert

Last edited by Norbert; 11/24/16 02:41 PM.

J
J
Originally Posted by Timpskie

I'm curious to spent some more time on the GL series. I wonder if a GL can compare with other brands, for instance a Yamaha GB series.

For me, the answer to that is an emphatic yes. In fact, for me ,the GL series Kawai is way better than a Yamaha GB1. More rounded tone, nicer sounding action, the works. But then, here in the UK, I'd rate one of Chris Venables "house brand" pianos (based on a Hailun I think but could be wrong) far higher than either a Yamaha GB1 or Kawai GL in a broadly similar price bracket.

I
Ihana Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Thanks everyone for the useful information! I’m very sorry that I didn’t reply earlier, but I have decided to hold off the purchase especially the GL- now I think I can (kind of…) hear the difference between GL and GX! Not sure it’s just in my head or something LOL. So I think I will try to save up more for the GX model and look for an used one at the same time. Thanks again everyone!

S
S
When comparing specs and performance the Kawai GL Series compares favorable more with the Yamaha C Series than the GB.

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Good job, Ihana. I think your plan is sound.

While you are saving up and having a look at the used market, you might keep an eye out for an RX-2 no more than 15 years old. These got better and better, the longer Kawai manufactured them. So, you might save some money and get the nicer piano at the same time.

Last edited by Jeff Clef; 12/07/16 01:45 PM.

Clef

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
If you are starting to recognise the differences you won't be happy if you economise now. Written off over the life of the instrument, the difference in price isn't much.

Speak to your dealer and see what he or she can do.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

The Kawai GL series models are outstanding!

There are some cosmetic differences when compared to the GX series but the touch and tone are not compromised.

The following is a good example:

Thanks,

Nick

Nick's Piano Showroom
Naples, Fort Myers, & Sarasota, FL
New Estonia, Mason & Hamlin, Kawai, Brodmann & Ritmuller
239-206-4541 direct line
www.nickspiano.com

Concert Piano Technician, Dealer, and Pianist
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by KawaiDon
It's a harder choice now than it used to be, because the GL-40 is based on the same basic design as the GX-2. So the pianos are the same size and the same string scale.

Differences? Upgraded hammers, different action weighting methods (more sensitive touch in the GX, wider tonal palate); Better bridge design in GX, better rim materials in the GX. There are cabinet differences too, so if the appearance is important to you that can be a factor and is a part of the cost difference.

When I prepare and voice these pianos I can take the GX to a higher level than the GL. The difference is subtle to some players, but is really noticeable to others.

But is it worth it? There is no longevity difference, but if you notice that the action in the GX feels better, or if the tone seems to sing more or be more sensitive, then that would be what to consider. Listen to the low bass, listen to the treble and how it sings.

If the GL seems to be just as good to your hands and ears, then don't let the 'specs' sell you. Buy what speaks to you!

To answer the OP, I have a GL10 and like it very much. Its only limitation is its size, so a longer one would be wonderful I suspect. Action is smooth once properly regulated, I expect the longer pianos would be even more so.

To hijack this thread a bit: for some reason I have an obsession with the idea of restoring a KG3. So I'm wondering KawaiDon, if you've ever voiced one of those. If so, can you comment on how it compares to the GLs and GXs you've done? Is it comparable to either? Or clearly inferior due to the several advances in design since then? Just fishing for opinions (or maybe confirmation bias) from people who have been in the position to compare. Thanks!

Last edited by Emery Wang; 11/19/19 08:55 PM.

Main battle axe: Yamaha N1
Living room axe: 1999 Petrof III
Road axe: Yamaha P515
Office axe: 1927 Kurtzmann upright
Neighbor's axe that used to be my axe: Kawai GL10
R.I.P. axe: Kawai MP11SE

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission