Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
81 registered members (Bruce In Philly, Blague, Charades, Abdol, bajtucha, ChrisGoesPiano, amyram, 21 invisible), 2,251 guests, and 1,047 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood #2583317 11/01/16 07:16 AM
S
sherrylynn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Serial number 16608. this is my piano; my dad bought it for me when we lived in Colorado, and when we moved back east, it came with us. Here it is at my mom's house.

She had written down that it was from 1895-96 but if I understand the blue book piano website (which I am NOT sure I understand at all) I think it was built in 1910. (??). Also I feel dumb admitting this but - I thought it was mahogany, but a couple times I caught myself saying it was walnut, so - now I can't remember.

I am planning to move this to my tiny townhome sometime, and I am having a HECK of a time figuring out even a ballpark figure for what it's worth. Any suggestions? even very GENERAL suggestions? I mean - I don't know if it's worth 2 thousand dollars or 20 thousand dollars. It is 5 foot 8.

thank you for any help anybody can provide!!
[Linked Image]My 1910 Baldwin piano at moms by Sherry, on Flickr

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: sherrylynn] #2583320 11/01/16 07:54 AM
E
Ed A. Hall Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
That appears like a Baldwin model E. Model can be confirmed by looking at the tail end of the plate and you'll see a letter cast into the plate. Serial number is found either printed on the plate if it has not been painted over or on the belly rail. From under the piano in the treble section, look up at the soundboard area and you should find a serial number starting with H on the belly rail.

Value will be dependent on condition and your location. Hire a piano technician to further guide you on value.

Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: sherrylynn] #2583322 11/01/16 07:58 AM
V
violarules Offline
V
It looks like you have the age right, and it is a mahogany case. The value is really dependent on if there was rebuild work done and how well it was done. It certainly looks like the case has been refinished. As an unplayable core, this piano would only be worth about $1-2k. Even if there was rebuild work done in the recent past, it still might only be worth $8-10k on the private market. A replacement cost from a dealer would be a bit more, figuring in that they would probably do a bit of prep work and offer a warranty. Just my guesstimate, but I own a Baldwin of similar vintage, so I have my eyes open when I see these old Baldwins.

Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: violarules] #2583334 11/01/16 09:11 AM
S
sherrylynn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
ahh thank you, this is SUPER helpful! I don't know if it was rebuilt when WE bought it in 1980 or thereabouts; since then, we have had it, and we haven't had it rebuilt (it didn't need it). It has always been cared for, tuned, inside, etc. It's perfect and beautiful and my most prized possession for sure, no matter how much it's actually worth.

when I go to move it, I do know that I'll have to get a value estimate for insurance purposes. I was literally coming up with NOTHING when I'd try to google, so your post was very helpful, thank you!

Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: Ed A. Hall] #2583335 11/01/16 09:19 AM
S
sherrylynn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
here's the front.... for sure we found the serial number, 16608, it doesn't have an H in front of it but there is no doubt in my mind that that's the serial. Thanks for the info on how to find the model - next time I'm at mom's I'll look at that! The way Baldwin is printed on the front is a fancy kind of font, not like the newer ones.

[Linked Image]Lightened up the pic a little by Sherry, on Flickr

Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: sherrylynn] #2583409 11/01/16 01:28 PM
David Farley Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That is a really nice-looking piano.

Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: David Farley] #2583414 11/01/16 01:56 PM
S
sherrylynn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by David Farley
That is a really nice-looking piano.
thank you, thank you so much!! I think it is so beautiful, too.

Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: sherrylynn] #2583433 11/01/16 03:36 PM
O
OrgantoPiano Offline
O
I want to comment on how beautiful your piano is. I collect antiques and own two pump organs, one made shortly after the Civil War. I wrote a novel that incorporated old objects and how they can take on a life of their own. Just think of all the history your piano was part of! Who was the first owner and how well did they play? Now when you play, your hands are moving through the same space as past generations, recreating the same sounds and maybe the same musical pieces, history repeating itself.

Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: sherrylynn] #2583457 11/01/16 05:51 PM
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Congratulations and great looking piano. My sister has the Kimball grand of around the same vintage we learned on as children. It is so great keeping beautiful instruments in the family as long as possible. They are priceless in that regard.

I cringe though when I see flowers or anything on top of a piano other than music! My pianos have never had anything on top of them, EVER!

Best Wishes,

Steve
Bösendorfer 170

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: sherrylynn] #2583474 11/01/16 06:44 PM
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
It is indeed a handsome piano!

And still I dream she'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: Lakeviewsteve] #2583529 11/02/16 02:33 AM
PhilipInChina Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Lakeviewsteve
Congratulations and great looking piano. My sister has the Kimball grand of around the same vintage we learned on as children. It is so great keeping beautiful instruments in the family as long as possible. They are priceless in that regard.

I cringe though when I see flowers or anything on top of a piano other than music! My pianos have never had anything on top of them, EVER!

Best Wishes,

Steve

Bösendorfer 170

How about a metronome?

Last edited by PhilipInChina; 11/02/16 02:35 AM. Reason: Words in order wrong

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: Lakeviewsteve] #2583580 11/02/16 07:50 AM
S
sherrylynn Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Steve - normally I would agree with the flowers thing but - 1) it's at my mom's house and 2) those are fake flowers, WITHOUT water in the vase, so at least there's that. She would never put anything with water on it. It's just mom, you know, gotta have a lot of knickknacks everywhere.

Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: sherrylynn] #2583781 11/02/16 05:01 PM
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by sherrylynn
Steve - normally I would agree with the flowers thing but - 1) it's at my mom's house and 2) those are fake flowers, WITHOUT water in the vase, so at least there's that. She would never put anything with water on it. It's just mom, you know, gotta have a lot of knickknacks everywhere.

Good about that!

All the best / Steve
Bösendorfer 170

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: PhilipInChina] #2583798 11/02/16 05:39 PM
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L

[/quote]

How about a metronome? [/quote]

Wherever you like to put it. You can pile anything you want on top of your piano too. Whatever makes you happy.

Steve
Bösendorfer 170

Last edited by Lakeviewsteve; 11/02/16 05:40 PM.

Bösendorfer 170
Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: sherrylynn] #2584152 11/03/16 05:46 PM
R
RickG1 Offline
R
A lovely piano, reminds me of an Everett that was at my boyhood church.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
Re: Baldwin parlor grand - trouble identifying year made/wood [Re: sherrylynn] #2584180 11/03/16 06:58 PM
S
S. Phillips Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I rebuilt one exactly like that a couple of years ago. It really came out very well. It is mahogany and the one I did had a great sound. It was from 1904.

Last edited by S. Phillips; 11/03/16 06:59 PM.

Sally Phillips
Owner/ Technician
Piano Perfect, LLC
Steinway & Sons Pianos
Columbus, GA
New Steinway, Boston and Essex pianos
www.steinwaypiano.com
Acoustic Piano Technical Consultant - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
http://www.pianobuyer.com/current-issue/07a-should-i-have-my-piano-rebuilt.html

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Mauhorn speakers to produce bassy piano sound
by Abdol - 01/28/20 03:05 PM
Upgrade Arius, Built-in Audio of DP's & Audio Input
by technomaster - 01/28/20 01:19 PM
7 foot or larger pianos worthy of saving/restore?
by TurboMatt - 01/28/20 12:32 PM
Digital Piano for Grade exams
by Piano_dreamer - 01/28/20 12:12 PM
Knabe WMV-245 studio piano reviews?
by pianomom8 - 01/28/20 10:40 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,580
Posts2,918,375
Members95,764
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission