Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
35 registered members (Bett, Boboulus, 3am_stargazing, Charades, ChatNoir, Akaitsuki, Carey, carlos88, 10 invisible), 3,211 guests, and 1,111 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased #2583432 11/01/16 03:34 PM
F
Flowerdoodle Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hello,
New to the forum. I just purchased a mid 80s, Baldwin Hamilton Studio piano (dark walnut) in really nice condition for $2000 from a dealer. It's very clean inside and out. This included tuning in store, moving and another tuning at my home when I'm ready. I hope I didnt overpay too much. I was eager and nothing on my local Craigslist looked all that great. I really didn't want to go through the hassle of finding a tech to take w me to inspect a potential purchase and also finding capable movers, etc.

My particular Baldwin Hamilton has serial # 397178 and is Model: 253. I can't seem to find any info (or pictures) of this particular style on the Internet. Based on the serial # it appears to be born in 1986. It has 2 square, screened sound holes on the front (which I find to be a nice feature) and which seem slightly more decorative for this make considering they were mostly designed for schools and churches.

Any opinions or information regarding this model and/or Baldwin Hamiltons in general would be greatly appreciated. I'm digging the piano. It's my first and am excited about delving in w lessons and self learning. YouTube is a great wellspring for this!

Is there a Baldy Ham club I could join on here?

Thanks!
Andrew

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2583437 11/01/16 03:59 PM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
congratulations. have spent many hours with that model of baldwin in college practice cubicles. solid all around. if it has any quirks, you'll learn in time as you live with it and use it -- they were made in such huge numbers, there are some that the factory just had a bad day, or a particular batch of parts or lumber was a touch substandard. it's a work horse and if you like blues, gospel, rock/pop piano it will respond pretty well ; o.t.o.h. if you're more the rachmaninoff/scriabin type, you might benefit from having a technician tweak the action and voicing.

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2583441 11/01/16 04:21 PM
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congratulations on the Baldwin/Hamilton 243 studio upright. I owned one for a few years and really enjoyed it.

I sold mine too cheap, ($750) and it was a mid 1980s model. But I'm not a dealer. If you add moving and a couple of tunings, you still come out okay, if the piano is in good condition.

Of course, the story of my life is buy high and sell cheap; I'd never make it in the piano business. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2583454 11/01/16 05:17 PM
JethroCrabtree Offline
Not too bad a price, considering they're including tuning/moving, and that it's in excellent condition. You could find one on craigslist for somewhat cheaper, but there'd be no assurance that it was clean and sound (not to mention tuning/moving). You'll enjoy it!

The Hamiltons are some of the best budget pianos out there. They're built really well, and sound pretty good (also they're a bit lighter than some pianos). Sometimes I miss mine -- it was in great shape and I sold it for $74 (times were tough then... and there was no craigslist or ebay).

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: JethroCrabtree] #2583461 11/01/16 05:59 PM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
the hamiltons from my undergrad days were made in the 60s and built for heavy duty use and getting moved around. [in concept, the studio size consoles are stage and rehearsal instruments intended to be moved about rehearsal or performance areas]. played one made in the 80s-90s at the vacation cottage we rented, and it had slimmed down from the ones earlier. every one in my experience over the years had a fairly heavy to heavy action.

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2583500 11/01/16 08:50 PM
F
Flowerdoodle Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the comments. I'm happy with it so far. I wish I could figure out how to upload some pics.

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2583560 11/02/16 06:48 AM
Rickster Offline
Originally Posted by Flowerdoodle
Thanks for the comments. I'm happy with it so far. I wish I could figure out how to upload some pics.

Try this...

Uploading pictures to Piano World fourm threads...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2583623 11/02/16 09:58 AM
F
Flowerdoodle Offline OP
OP Offline
F
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2583647 11/02/16 10:27 AM
S
Steve Senseney Offline
S
That looks like a really clean piano!

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2583686 11/02/16 11:51 AM
Rickster Offline
That piano is definitely nicer looking than the one I sold. If the insides are in as good a condition as the outside, you did good!! thumb

Congrats again!

Rick

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2583691 11/02/16 12:16 PM
F
Flowerdoodle Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for your warm and helpful replies Rickster, Steve, Jethro and Huaidongxi! Much appreciated.

Now to start learning how to play! Going to look for a teacher. What's the going rate for lessons these days?

So far I've learned the obligatory Bach Predlude in C.

Also attempting to learn:
*Moonlight Sonata (first movement)
*Bachs Minuet in G (Petzold)
*Turkish March (main bit)
Any other suggestions on easy classical pieces to learn?

I dont want my journey into piano to turn into my usual trap tactic (guitar) of "learning a bunch of parts of things" and never digging in and fully learning the whole piece. I tend to get bored after struggling w a piece and move on to the next thing. I really want to learn proper technique and do this correctly. I'm 39. I have no fantasy of becoming great but would like to play for my own enjoyment and reach a level of competency.

My saving grace is that I have a fine ear and can pick up things innately. I don't read music very well at all. I know the rudiments. I struggle w reading notes above and below the visible staff. I don't want to take piano lessons where the teacher begins with "This is called a staff. this is a bass clef. This is a treble clef. This is called a quarter note". I guess a good instructor will gague what you know and follow accordingly.

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2584108 11/03/16 03:40 PM
R
RickG1 Offline
R
You did well! congrats!

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: RickG1] #2584367 11/04/16 11:11 AM
F
Flowerdoodle Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you! I love it. Very excited.

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2584613 11/05/16 07:54 AM
Retsacnal Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
4000 Post Club Member
Congratulations. Check out the Adult Beginners Forum and the Piano Teachers forums, both also here on PianoWorld.

And still I dream she'll come to me
That we will live the years together
But there are dreams that cannot be
And there are storms we cannot weather
Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Retsacnal] #2584869 11/06/16 12:18 AM
F
Flowerdoodle Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thank you, friend. Aside from basic knowledge of music theory, what would you say I should focus on as a beginning player. I'm guessing it's 'learning the scales' (major, minor) and the correct fingering of them.

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2584955 11/06/16 12:18 PM
Rickster Offline
Aside from basic knowledge of music theory, what would you say I should focus on as a beginning player. I'm guessing it's 'learning the scales' (major, minor) and the correct fingering of them.

Well, the way I see it, you have about 4 directions in which to proceed; formal lessons, informal lessons, combination of formal and informal, and play-by-ear. Some here use the term "self-taught", but in reality, we all learn something from others. So, I don't think there is a such thing as "completely self-taught".

As for me, I chose the "play-by-ear" semi-self-taught method. My approach is fraught with what the formalist call "bad habits"; some think my unique "by-ear" playing is appalling; others seem to like it.

Since one of my "appalling" music videos on YouTube has over 1.5 million views, I figure there may be a demand for "appalling" piano playing. grin

So, my advice to you in regards to learning to play the piano... decide which route, or combinations of routes you want to take.

Learning key scales and basic chord combinations is a great place to start, lessons or not.

My 13 year old granddaughter was taking formal piano lessons for about 3 years. Her teacher did not want her to attempt to play anything at all by ear; all by written music, and would scold her if she attempted to learn anything by ear. After 3 years of lessons, she lost interest and is no longer taking piano lessons. I was so sorry to hear that.

In my view, learning to play the piano should be fun, although it can be hard work. Never take the "fun-factor" out of piano playing.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do! smile

Rick

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2584977 11/06/16 02:52 PM
P
Pianoperformance Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Nice piano, I would recommend you join the adult beginner and we would all suggest you get lessons from teacher, who will guide you. Looking at your list, some looks advance from where u might be. I have had teacher for over 4 years, best investment ever for in learning to play the piano, properly. Lots and lots of patience and practice, and you will be rewarded for your efforts!

Dream came true : playing the piano
Kawai CS11/Yamaha Arius 161
lessons: 150 hours + counting
Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2584990 11/06/16 03:55 PM
F
Flowerdoodle Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I definitely will find a teacher. Cost is a concern but worst comes to worser I'll do bi-weekly lessons. I agree that a teacher would be the best route for me. Until then I will continue w learning the major scales and a few basic pieces. I think I may also buy the Alfred basic adult beginner 1 book too.
Thanks all!

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2592253 12/04/16 09:28 PM
F
FrankDaddy Offline
F
I own at 1999 Baldwin Hamilton and really like it. great instrument bought it new. It has been moved three times and has held up. Note I had it moved professionally everytime. I feel strongly you did the right thing and I agree you need to take lessons. I am 60 years old and taking to fix my bad habits. The lessons are really worth it. I wish you well in your journey.

Re: Baldwin Hamilton--1985-86...just purchased [Re: Flowerdoodle] #2592271 12/04/16 11:15 PM
D
Del Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
My particular Baldwin Hamilton has serial # 397178 and is Model: 253. I can't seem to find any info (or pictures) of this particular style on the Internet. Based on the serial # it appears to be born in 1986. It has 2 square, screened sound holes on the front (which I find to be a nice feature) and which seem slightly more decorative for this make considering they were mostly designed for schools and churches.

Any opinions or information regarding this model and/or Baldwin Hamiltons in general would be greatly appreciated. I'm digging the piano. It's my first and am excited about delving in w lessons and self learning. YouTube is a great wellspring for this!

If you know how to do this safely, remove the bottom panel and try to find the design number of the piano. It will be either 743-4 or 743-5 and it will be cast into the string frame. (Possibly shown as 743/4 or 743/5.)

The piano was redesigned in the mid-1980s. It would be interesting to know which version you have.

ddf

Last edited by Del; 12/04/16 11:16 PM.

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Research, Design & Manufacturing Consultant
ddfandrich@gmail.com
(To contact me privately please use this e-mail address.)

Stupidity is a rare condition, ignorance is a common choice. --Anon
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just bought a new Kawai K. 300 vertical
by shirlkirsten - 01/29/20 12:36 AM
Kobe Bryant the Piano Builder
by TimM_980 - 01/29/20 12:07 AM
Arturia Keylab 88, any opinions??
by Pianero - 01/28/20 11:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,590
Posts2,918,590
Members95,768
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission