2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,018 guests, and 347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
T
I had a tuning for a concert yesterday and I think, I use the technique Mark describes. It was a Yamaha C7. I can't explain it in a technical language, I only can bring into words what I do (piano is at pitch and already quite in tune):

- I lower the pitch carefully
- I raise the pitch and turn the pin to the right place. During turning a tiny amount of pressure on the lever towards the string (weight of the my hand is enough).
-If I have reached the desired pitch, stop pin turning, wait some time in this position till the pitch raises a tiny amount more. (I call it "ghost tuning ", just to bring in another confusing, spooky term😉)
-let the light pressure slowly go and hear what happens.
- mostly nothing happens, pin is quasi untwisted (because of this time you waited, it is unbent because you removed the pressure)
- now some taps in the direction of the string (sets the pin and the pitch)

Lever at 12 o'clock, slow pull. The shorter the NSL, the more I overpull. The overpull is between 0.5-ca 2 cents)

Short version: lower pitch, raise pitch to desired place, wait some seconds, let the lever go , tap down in direction of the string (not CCW)
The taps are also a test. If the pitch changes, I repeat the whole thing from the start. It is mostly not necessary.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by DoelKees

I was wondering if you want to increase pitch, and you turn the pin to the point that the NSL tension overcomes the static friction and the string starts to move if there can be an "overshoot" as once the string starts moving the friction force is now dynamic, and often dynamic friction is less than static friction. So the pitch will rise with a sudden jump which may overshoot the target if that is the case.

Does that happen in practice? I have this all the time tuning my harpsichord, but there it's the static/dynamic friction of the tuning pin that causes the difficulty. The solution there is to go below pitch by the right amount so the "jump" will get you on pitch.

Kees

This gets us back to the OP: moving the pin a small amount. I believe that there is a minimum that it can be moved from a "standing start" and likewise a minimum that the pitch can be changed and still have stability.

Overcoming the static frictions is the problem. Once the pin is twisted, the pinblock friction overcome, the string is rendering over all the bearing points, and the pitch is changing (not necessarily in that order...) all the static friction should be dealt with and then there should be no perceptible minimum amount of pitch or movement change, unless something is jumpy. <sigh...>

Myself, I assume that the amount that I want to change the pitch is less than the minimum it will take to overcome the static frictions and also assume that the string and the pin are in an unstable condition. So I start by bumping the string down, which is also a good habit to make sure you are on the right string.

Then while bringing the pitch up, usually with a smooth pull, I can evaluate the order that all the static frictions are overcome and select a strategy to use for setting THAT pin and setting THAT string.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
This is an interesting discussion and I'm picking up some useful tips. One further consideration: If a string happens to be exactly in tune already, would you go through the process of bumping it down and retuning it? If so, what is the reasoning behind that? Is that retuned string more stable predictable over time than if you just left it where it is?

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by Mark Cerisano, RPT
Yes. One thing I may do in that case is lower the pitch so I am a ways off, then when I start turning the pin and it jumps, I am still flat, and the hammer/pin system will settle with the pin being bent at a constant.

OK, so now we are still flat, right?

The whole thing moves smoothly as a unit and then unbends/untwists when I reach target. Note, this is for slow pull.

I don't follow this. You are flat after the pitch jumps. What thing moves smoothly as a unit after that to get the correct pitch?

Kees

Go flat a lot (20 cents?)
Then slow pull up to pitch.
Just like Toni said.

The "thing" that is moving slowly is the hammer and pin, twisted, as a unit.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 11/24/16 10:16 AM.
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by ando
This is an interesting discussion and I'm picking up some useful tips. One further consideration: If a string happens to be exactly in tune already, would you go through the process of bumping it down and retuning it? If so, what is the reasoning behind that? Is that retuned string more stable predictable over time than if you just left it where it is?

No. I would use what I call the "Bend Test" to prove stability (instead of the Test Blow, but you could use that too.)

Bend Test - slightly flex the pin towards the string. If the nsl tension is at the bottom of the Tension Band, the pitch will drop. Need to retune.
If the nsl tension is high of middle then it will just move lower within the tension band and return almost to its original tension. (Some people call this the Marshmallow Zone, I believe) and the pitch won't change. I.e. the pitch is stable.

Of course, if you flex hard enough, any string will slip, even "stable" strings. You need to get the feel of how much is enough.

T
T
I try to go flat not more than 4-6 cents maximum

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Yes. One thing I may do in that case is lower the pitch so I am a ways off, then when I start turning the pin and it jumps, I am still flat, and the hammer/pin system will settle with the pin being bent at a constant.

OK, so now we are still flat, right?

The whole thing moves smoothly as a unit and then unbends/untwists when I reach target. Note, this is for slow pull.

I don't follow this. You are flat after the pitch jumps. What thing moves smoothly as a unit after that to get the correct pitch?

Kees

Go flat a lot (20 cents?)
Then slow pull up to pitch.
Just like Toni said.

The "thing" that is moving slowly is the hammer and pin, twisted, as a unit.

Thanks, got it now.

One thing to note perhaps is that if you execute the "slow pull" too slowly, after static friction at the bearing point is overcome, the string jumps, then comes to rest again (subject to larger static friction), and keeps moving in jumps. But if your "slow pull" is fast enough the string keeps moving and never jumps again. I assume your "slow pull" is a lot faster than what a cautious beginner would consider "slow".

Is such a method also applicable to "jumpy pins"? I've only once tuned a piano that had some "jumpy pins" and got it on pitch by more or less randomly jumping around until by chance I hit the right pitch. Bad technique probably...

Kees

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Yes. Sometimes you have to do that. You are correct regarding speed - minimum that produces no jumps. Most pianos have good pins that don't jump. The slow pull can really solve the jumpy pin problem if you have the right hammer angle which produces the right amount of unbending/untwisting that will leave the nsl tension high of middle. This allows you to get the pin foot to its proper orientation with one move.

Last edited by Mark Cerisano, RPT; 11/24/16 07:00 PM.
N
N
Permit me to argue that the term "band" as Mark used it is quite standard. It simply refers to a continuous range of values with an upper and lower limit. It seems to show up most often when talking about frequencies, but it makes sense for tensions too.

"After tuning" I'll admit I had to think a little harder about wink

Nathan Monteleone, Piano Technician
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you Nathan,

I am using "unbending/untwisting" now more than After Tuning.

I am currently writing a book, Piano Tuning Theory, that I'm hoping will help reduce some of the confusion. This forum and other forums are really helping me to understand how I need to write, so that the most number of people can understand me.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
The term "setting the pin" has been around a long time. Why not use that instead of "After Tuning"?

My point being that the common terms are instantly recognizable and can also be used for independent searches.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ando

Well, it depends. If it is a touch-up, no don't re-tune a good sounding string. Or if the piano is challenging and some notes in the high treble are probably as close as you would come, no, don't retune those. But for a regular tuning, if six out of seven strings are out, how do you know the seventh isn't on the verge of slipping? Also, I find when I start taking "freebies", I get out of sequence, have the hammer on the wrong pin (as I get older, I wonder if I borrowed it from Al...), and waste more time than I saved.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
After Tuning is not just, or always setting the pin. After Tuning is untwisting and unbending of the pin after you are done tuning. Depending on the hammer angle, NSL length, and pin block tightness, you are not guaranteed that the pin will be set upon removal of the hammer force.

Also, proper After Tuning results in not only proper pin setting, but string setting as well, at the same time.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Yes, Mark, I understand that. Still, it falls under the general category of setting the pin, which is the COMMON term. As I have said, you can use your personal, uncommon terms, but you can't expect the entire world to understand or be interested.

Now, this is just an example, so please don't pick it apart. You could write something like "When setting the pin, you should also set the string by ... In addition this gives you the opportunity to fine tune the string by ... "

Please don't think I am trying to tell you how to write. What I am trying to do is make you realize the consequences of using personal, uncommon terms. The easier you make it for the reader, the more they will benefit from it.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
I think you are the only person with this issue, Jeff, so I will keep things the way they are. If anyone else agrees with Jeff, let me know and I'll consider deleteing the term "After Tuning" from my definitions.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
After tuning, there is playing smile The act of tuning is putting everything in place such that the piano is in tune (and that includes untwisting, string rendering etc. etc.). I think the term is confusing because it sounds like something you do afterwards, which is not really the case, it's part of the final completion of the tuning IMHO.

Paul.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Mark, I think of all the delicate aspects you speak of as part of "setting the pin" -- which, to me, is more than just rotating the pin and then removing the hammer. Thanks for your attention --

Dorrie Bell
retired piano technician
Boston, MA
M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
I will use untwisting/unbending as much as possible. Thanks.

The term is similar to After Burn used in fitness to describe burning calories by doing nothing. Just like After Tuning is what is done when you stop tuning.

I know it's a complicated term, but I want people to understand that by stopping what you are doing, there is still something that is done. Many people think that nothing happens when you remove the hammer force.

Clarity is very important, so "After Tuning", although it is easier to write, especially if I started writing AT 😉, will be replaced by unbending/untwisting.

I haven't started writing the chapter on the subject of forces, friction, and deformation of the string and pin, so this is good.

M
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bellspiano
Mark, I think of all the delicate aspects you speak of as part of "setting the pin" -- which, to me, is more than just rotating the pin and then removing the hammer. Thanks for your attention --

The beautiful thing about Slow Pull done right, is that is exactly what it is. 🙂

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
The term "setting the pin" has been around a long time. Why not use that instead of "After Tuning"?

"After Tuning" is what happens between the instance that you stop moving the lever and when you remove the lever if I understand correctly. That's not the same as "setting the pin".

Kees

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission