Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
94 registered members (AnnInMiami, Bruce In Philly, anotherscott, AWilley, 26 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Old guy wants new piano. #2583530
11/02/16 03:39 AM
11/02/16 03:39 AM
Seward, Alaska
K
kaziranga Offline OP
kaziranga  Offline OP
K

Seward, Alaska
I posted this in the teachers forum as well as some of my question has to do with what's possible but, in any event. I'd also welcome any thoughts from this group as well.

Hello folks, I started at 62 with a teacher and we have our 5 year anniversary of working together next month. He seems to think I can reach RCM 8. in the next few years. I've learned on a Roland Fp7 and get to play the best piano in the small town I live in, a Kawai Rx3 at a local church from time to time

I live in a cold and damp part of Alaska and have limited opportunity to play various makes and models other than Kawai, Yamaha, and ocasionaly a home Steinway. None of my family including grandchildren are interested in playing the piano. So not looking for an heirloom.

I don't want to throw money away but I have worked for what I've got so don't mind spending it on something I will enjoy but what will I enjoy when I reach my peak and age starts taking me (at best) a step back for each step forward? Anything more than $35,000 seems self indulgent since my heirs could never regain anywhere close to that but will I even appreciate more than a $15-20,000 instrument?

I've learned on a Roland Fp7 and get to play a Kawai Rx3 from time to time. I like playing grand pianos and have room for up to 7.5 but room acoustics only would need less than 7. We bring tuners down from Anchorage but it's a bit of a project.At some point Id like to get myself a really satisfying acoustic grand. Something "right" for me and my location and ability.

I've thought of getting more than I can use and then leave it to an organization in town for community use but the one church player I might donate it to for her Church is as old as I am and the younger players in town prefer digitals.

Without a clearer idea I'm afraid I'll just shop till I drop or take the easier route of buying a V piano, Avant-Grande or NW acclimated Yamaha. All excellent but a bit soul less.

Any ideas, suggestions, speculations or thoughts regarding brand, price, philosophy etc. appreciated.

Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2583663
11/02/16 12:04 PM
11/02/16 12:04 PM
New York City
pianoloverus Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
pianoloverus  Offline

New York City
I would use the free database in the Piano Buyer(see left column). You can enter a price range for the SMP and an estimated discount to fit your budget(you need to read the pricing information to understand this), and you'll get a list of all the pianos and models fitting those criteria. I'm not sure if the PB prices are valid for Alaska, but you can at least get some idea of possibilities.

Do you plan to buy locally or are you considering a non-local purchase? If locally my guess is your choice will be limited but if non locally your budget permits a huge variety of choices.

In terms of appreciating a more than 20K piano, nothing can be assured. But even if you can't hear/feel the difference at first, it's quite possible that you would hear/feel the difference with more time on the piano and as your piano skill improves. Also be aware that coming from a digital almost any grand may sound extremely good at first.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 11/02/16 12:09 PM.
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: pianoloverus] #2583666
11/02/16 12:11 PM
11/02/16 12:11 PM
Seward, Alaska
K
kaziranga Offline OP
kaziranga  Offline OP
K

Seward, Alaska
I've looked in Anchorage and I watch Craigs List but the choices are limited. New Yamaha's. Bosendorfers, or used Steniways/Bostons from when we had a distributor here. I have a friend who is an exceptional amateur who has offered to go around the Seattle stores with me. Logistics are such that the shipping from lower 48 would likely be equal to the mark-up already built in locally. I've never used the data-base so thank you for pointing me to it.

Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2583672
11/02/16 12:22 PM
11/02/16 12:22 PM
AZ, USA
Tuneless Offline
Tuneless  Offline

AZ, USA
I would NOT base anything on what happens after you die. By then, that is not YOUR problem. Enjoy NOW, that's what counts. You earned it.

PS. From someone in her 70's.

Cynthia

Roland FP-50
Conover Upright, 1888/9, but a very low mileage piano. http://www.pbase.com/schnitz/conover_upright_piano__1888_or_9 .
Tuneless = Don't play piano yet but getting there.
I'm technically very capable. I love my piano and love tinkering with it.
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2583694
11/02/16 01:26 PM
11/02/16 01:26 PM
Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Rich D. Offline

Gold Subscriber
Rich D.  Offline

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Well it sounds like your best bet would be a trip to Seattle to check out some new and used grand pianos. Mason Hamlin grands would definitely be on my list to consider as well as possibly a used Baldwin L (6'3") or Baldwin SF10 (7"). I noticed an very young Mason Hamlin BB for 25.4K on the Seattle Craigslist.

One place near Stanwood Washington you may want to visit is Fandrich & Sons Pianos (http://www.fandrich.com/index.php?&location=home).

BTW I lived in Anchorage for a few years when I was in the Air Force and Alaska remains one of my favorite places, even when it is cold and damp. Good luck

Rich

Retired at the beach

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2583709
11/02/16 02:10 PM
11/02/16 02:10 PM
Richmond, Virginia
A
Almaviva Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Almaviva  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A

Richmond, Virginia
Yes, Seattle would be a good place to shop for a piano. Also consider traveling to Vancouver and Calgary as well.

Last edited by Almaviva; 11/02/16 11:37 PM.
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: Rich D.] #2583928
11/03/16 08:57 AM
11/03/16 08:57 AM
Philadelphia/South Jersey
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Originally Posted by Rich D.

BTW I lived in Anchorage for a few years when I was in the Air Force and Alaska remains one of my favorite places, even when it is cold and damp. Good luck

Really Rich? I had no idea. That is certainly a far cry from Rehoboth! smile

Kaziranga,

Some travel might go a long way in selection. Almaviva pointed out your brightest stars to consider, which I agree with wholeheartedly. I am looking forward to hearing more about your search. Good Luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2583992
11/03/16 12:01 PM
11/03/16 12:01 PM
Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Rich D. Offline

Gold Subscriber
Rich D.  Offline

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Rehoboth Beach De. USA
Rich,
When you are in the military you go where they send you. I was lucky to get Alaska.

Not sure how the weak Canadian dollar effects buying a new piano and bringing it to the US from Calgary or Vancouver. Oh, and who knows of any reputable piano dealers in Vancouver?? grin

Rich

Retired at the beach

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: Rich D.] #2584023
11/03/16 01:17 PM
11/03/16 01:17 PM
Richmond, Virginia
A
Almaviva Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Almaviva  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A

Richmond, Virginia
Originally Posted by Rich D.
Rich,
When you are in the military you go where they send you. I was lucky to get Alaska.

Not sure how the weak Canadian dollar effects buying a new piano and bringing it to the US from Calgary or Vancouver. Oh, and who knows of any reputable piano dealers in Vancouver?? grin

Rich

As an American consumer, the weak Canadian dollar can only help you.

You can try Heritage Pianos in Surrey, B.C., close to Vancouver. They carry Estonia, Ritmuller and Brodmann pianos. (They used to carry Sauter pianos; they might have some Sauter models still in inventory.) 'Norbert', a VERY frequent contributor to this forum, is the owner. grin

The only other piano dealer in Vancouver that I know of is Showcase Pianos. They carry performance-grade pianos like Fazioli, Bechstein and Grotrian. They also carry more modestly-priced pianos like Knabe and the lower-priced Bechstein and Seiler lines.

The only piano dealer in Calgary that I know of is Michael Lipnicki Fine Pianos. They carry high-end pianos like Fazioli, Bechstein, Bluthner and Grotrian. They also carry the consumer-grade Kingsburg line and Bechstein's intermediate-grade W. Hoffmann line.

Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2584209
11/03/16 10:28 PM
11/03/16 10:28 PM
Richmond, BC, Canada
C
Charles Cohen Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Charles Cohen  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
C

Richmond, BC, Canada
Both Tom Lee (Vancouver) and Long & McQuade (Vancouver) sell pianos, as well as other musical instruments. They're large operations -- Tom Lee is international, and L&M is Canada-wide.

They're not "dedicated" piano dealers, but they have both uprights and grands on the floor. Worth phoning or e-mailing.

The Canadian $ is at about 75 cents US right now. So their quoted prices (in $ CDN) will be higher numbers than US prices, but might convert into something cheaper.

If you investigate, please report back. I don't know if they'll sell pianos "offshore", or even over the phone, and that would be interesting to know.

Thanks --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq / Lounge Lizard / Korg Wavedrum / EV ZXA1 speaker
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2584225
11/03/16 11:12 PM
11/03/16 11:12 PM
Seattle, WA USA
E
Ed McMorrow, RPT Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Ed McMorrow, RPT  Offline
5000 Post Club Member
E

Seattle, WA USA
To add to the names mentioned above:

In Vancouver BC Rod Verhnjak has some rebuilt and new pianos for sale. He is a very fine rebuilder. rod@pianoman.ca is his e-mail.

I have some rebuilt pianos at my shop in Mukilteo I can show you if you are visiting the Seattle area.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2584231
11/03/16 11:36 PM
11/03/16 11:36 PM
Melville Saskatchewan
F
FrankCox Offline
500 Post Club Member
FrankCox  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F

Melville Saskatchewan
One thing to note about cross-border shopping and the exchange rate.

You can use a US credit card at a Canadian store, and you can use a Canadian credit card at a US store.

But....YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT.

Credit cards surcharge you between 2% and 3% on top of the exchange rate. The way to avoid this is to exchange your money at a bank and pay with that. Get a money order or cash in the currency that you need. Many banks also surcharge for cash, so a money order might be the best way to go.

On a large purchase like a piano, that 2.5% (average) will add up to significant money.

Personally, I have a US bank account and a US Dollar denominated Visa credit card for online shopping from US based websites and the like. I can do electronic transfers from my Canadian account to the US account and then pay off the credit card bill, all without getting out of my chair.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2584248
11/04/16 01:46 AM
11/04/16 01:46 AM
P
Pneuma Offline
Pneuma  Offline
P

There are some credit cards, such as Capital One cards, that do not charge foreign exchange fees.

Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2584267
11/04/16 05:28 AM
11/04/16 05:28 AM
S
slobajudge Offline
500 Post Club Member
slobajudge  Offline
500 Post Club Member
S

Originally Posted by kaziranga
I posted this in the teachers forum as well as some of my question has to do with what's possible but, in any event. I'd also welcome any thoughts from this group as well.

Hello folks, I started at 62 with a teacher and we have our 5 year anniversary of working together next month. He seems to think I can reach RCM 8. in the next few years. I've learned on a Roland Fp7 and get to play the best piano in the small town I live in, a Kawai Rx3 at a local church from time to time

I live in a cold and damp part of Alaska and have limited opportunity to play various makes and models other than Kawai, Yamaha, and ocasionaly a home Steinway. None of my family including grandchildren are interested in playing the piano. So not looking for an heirloom.

I don't want to throw money away but I have worked for what I've got so don't mind spending it on something I will enjoy but what will I enjoy when I reach my peak and age starts taking me (at best) a step back for each step forward? Anything more than $35,000 seems self indulgent since my heirs could never regain anywhere close to that but will I even appreciate more than a $15-20,000 instrument?

I've learned on a Roland Fp7 and get to play a Kawai Rx3 from time to time. I like playing grand pianos and have room for up to 7.5 but room acoustics only would need less than 7. We bring tuners down from Anchorage but it's a bit of a project.At some point Id like to get myself a really satisfying acoustic grand. Something "right" for me and my location and ability.

I've thought of getting more than I can use and then leave it to an organization in town for community use but the one church player I might donate it to for her Church is as old as I am and the younger players in town prefer digitals.

Without a clearer idea I'm afraid I'll just shop till I drop or take the easier route of buying a V piano, Avant-Grande or NW acclimated Yamaha. All excellent but a bit soul less.

Any ideas, suggestions, speculations or thoughts regarding brand, price, philosophy etc. appreciated.

For the money you want to give for acoustic piano, I think Estonia pianos are your best bet. They are hand made, parts coming from the German and England and have traditional europian quality for pianos. Also one information, the price in Pianobuyer for Estonia pianos are not correct. Price are much lower in reality.

Last edited by slobajudge; 11/04/16 05:43 AM.
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: FrankCox] #2584584
11/05/16 05:57 AM
11/05/16 05:57 AM
Rich Galassini Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Rich Galassini  Offline
Platinum Subscriber

Originally Posted by FrankCox
One thing to note about cross-border shopping and the exchange rate.

You can use a US credit card at a Canadian store, and you can use a Canadian credit card at a US store.

But....YOU DON'T WANT TO DO THAT.

FYI - I have a credit card that offers a favorable exchange for international purchases (I use it when I travel) without any surcharge. They do exist.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Co.
Phila, Pa.
(215) 991-0834 direct line
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for great content every week:
https://www.youtube.com/user/CunninghamPiano
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2584599
11/05/16 07:55 AM
11/05/16 07:55 AM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

4000 Post Club Member

🎹
If I'm not mistaken, US consumers are protected by banking regulations, and receive the commercial exchange rate in effect the day of the credit/debit card transaction (after all, there is no physical exchange of currencies, only a digital conversion).

Foreign banks are obviously not subject to US rules, so they may [still] be applying surcharges for currency conversion, in which case it would be smart to try to avoid them.

Likewise, it may be smart to buy second hand, to avoid sales tax (which also adds up), and depreciation too.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: kaziranga] #2584600
11/05/16 08:01 AM
11/05/16 08:01 AM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Retsacnal  Offline

4000 Post Club Member

🎹
Kudos to you for taking up piano and sticking with it too! I'd say buy whatever you like. Some good suggestions above.

I've never been to Alaska, but it's on my bucket list. smile

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: Retsacnal] #2584624
11/05/16 09:44 AM
11/05/16 09:44 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline

Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline

Silver Subscriber
4000 Post Club Member

Florida
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
If I'm not mistaken, US consumers are protected by banking regulations, and receive the commercial exchange rate in effect the day of the credit/debit card transaction (after all, there is no physical exchange of currencies, only a digital conversion).

Foreign banks are obviously not subject to US rules, so they may [still] be applying surcharges for currency conversion, in which case it would be smart to try to avoid them.

Likewise, it may be smart to buy second hand, to avoid sales tax (which also adds up), and depreciation too.

Yes, US credit cards charge the exchange rate on the date of purchase, HOWEvER, unless you have a credit card that specifically exempts it, there is an additional 'transaction fee' added by the bank. Check with your credit card company on the fees applied.

Last edited by dogperson; 11/05/16 10:17 AM.
Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: Tuneless] #2584874
11/06/16 02:23 AM
11/06/16 02:23 AM
Seward, Alaska
K
kaziranga Offline OP
kaziranga  Offline OP
K

Seward, Alaska
Cynthia, I had missed you reply. What a great response. Thank you.

Re: Old guy wants new piano. [Re: Rich D.] #2584876
11/06/16 02:27 AM
11/06/16 02:27 AM
Seward, Alaska
K
kaziranga Offline OP
kaziranga  Offline OP
K

Seward, Alaska
Thanks Rich.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai K 30
by Hotstrings. 07/23/19 10:18 PM
1993 Steinway Model B
by Rakvsv4301. 07/23/19 10:17 PM
Need assistance/advise Alfred's Christmas
by CRTT. 07/23/19 09:45 PM
Excited to play again.... is a Steck the right choice?
by Itsbeenawhile. 07/23/19 06:55 PM
Yamaha GH1 vs. ?
by henryh. 07/23/19 04:55 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics193,154
Posts2,851,207
Members93,963
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission