2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
53 members (CajunJ, Buzz209, apianostudent, David B, dima5222, Charles Cohen, AndyOnThePiano, dbudde, 12 invisible), 493 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Anything new in the virtual inst. piano realm?
#2583145 10/31/16 04:02 PM
T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
It's been quite a while since I've revisited the offerings out there and wondered if there's been any innovative new grands that have surfaced. I recall seeing a Hans Zimmer model, but reviews said it was over priced and not that great.

Re: Anything new in the virtual inst. piano realm?
Tonio #2583148 10/31/16 04:08 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What year did you stop paying attention?
2010?
2005?
2000?

Tonio #2583192 10/31/16 07:37 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The last products I have seen : Bechstein Digital (I really love it!), Keyscape (I havn't tried it, but it is quite peculiar: 36 pianos : one acoustic, the others are electric). Two products released this year.

If you go a little further in the past, you have the Hammersmith, a little further, the Definitive Piano Collection, Garritan CFX (I love it too), Ravenscroft 275.

I surely have forgotten some others.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 10/31/16 07:42 PM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Frédéric L #2583198 10/31/16 07:52 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Pianoteq have some old collection instruments, not all of which played 88 notes! I just got me a Bechstein 1899, plus 3 others. Sounds fantastic. Like you`re playing a rowdy acoustic (Bechstein) upright; I know what they sound like. It`s in your face!

I never liked Bechsteins. But there`s so much reality I just had to . . . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Tonio #2583321 11/01/16 08:54 AM
P
P
Maybe the only new thing that I find quite interesting is the NI Una Corda, it sounds more realistic than any other vst, I don't know why, probably it's thanks to the fact that the samples are coming from an unusual piano.

Tonio #2583329 11/01/16 09:42 AM
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
For me still the best sounding are good old ones VIlabs German and American. Most of the VST i find too bright / open sounding. Quite not to my living. The famous EWQT pianos made no impression on me. Maybe I need few hours to spend with each of them, but based on samples VILABS German or American would be my choice.

pold #2583347 11/01/16 10:49 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by pold
Maybe the only new thing that I find quite interesting is the NI Una Corda, it sounds more realistic than any other vst, I don't know why, probably it's thanks to the fact that the samples are coming from an unusual piano.

Yes, but it's really great for atmospheric stuff, not solo classical or jazz piano, IMO, so it depends on what you want it for.

I'm pretty satisfied with VIlabs Truekeys American - got it for $99 or $75 (can't remember) on sale a couple of Christmases ago. Great deal for the money.

I really like the Ravenscroft.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ElmerJFudd #2583466 11/01/16 07:14 PM
T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
To Elmer; It's probably only been a couple years.

Last edited by Tonio; 11/01/16 07:14 PM.
Morodiene #2583469 11/01/16 07:23 PM
T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The Ravens is great, and that's what I use all the time. The problem I have is that, until I get the VI in my hands, it's impossible to tell whether I will like it. The demos only go so far to convince me to buy. Would be nice if all the manufacturers would provide a trial version.

Originally Posted by Morodiene

Yes, but it's really great for atmospheric stuff, not solo classical or jazz piano, IMO, so it depends on what you want it for.

I'm pretty satisfied with VIlabs Truekeys American - got it for $99 or $75 (can't remember) on sale a couple of Christmases ago. Great deal for the money.

Frédéric L #2583472 11/01/16 07:26 PM
T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks...I'll check out the Bechstein. Never tried the Hammersmith, but have the Ravens and love it.

Originally Posted by Frédéric L
The last products I have seen : Bechstein Digital (I really love it!), Keyscape (I havn't tried it, but it is quite peculiar: 36 pianos : one acoustic, the others are electric). Two products released this year.

If you go a little further in the past, you have the Hammersmith, a little further, the Definitive Piano Collection, Garritan CFX (I love it too), Ravenscroft 275.

I surely have forgotten some others.

Morodiene #2583487 11/01/16 08:49 PM
P
P
Originally Posted by Morodiene

Una corda it's good for anything, not just atmospheric stuff (I don't like those felts turned on). I am listening to the VI labs Truekeys American now, it sounds very good.

Tonio #2583532 11/02/16 03:51 AM
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
For the last few years it's only the new fully modeled pianos by Roland that are worth mentioning. They improved on V-Piano which was expensive and sounded too artificial. The mainstream models are now fully modeled too, hence much lower priced, and they upped the engine which now sounds more convincing although admittedly it's still not my cup of tea.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Tonio #2583582 11/02/16 08:53 AM
C
C
There's a good thread about this somewhere pointing out the expenditure of $$$ without really knowing if that what you want. All the VI's have fancy backing and audio demos, but what's never stated is how they produced the final audio your listening to--- which translates to really liking it into... hmm, doesn't sounds as good on my system.

But, here's what I've observed... find clips or real people demo or playing on youtube. Watch carefully the cost vs file size; for example paying 100USD for 4.0gigs of "very well sampled piano... yadda yadda," well yeah, no. 24 bit or 16 bit, although this is not always stated or known. Other demos by real people at the NAMM (namm.org) conventions---- now obviously they use extreme high-end equipment, but listening to that does translate is very good home use, and the fact the product received that level of attention.

UVI Workstation---- just a player, but very good pianos that can be used with it.
+Ravencraoft 275 (VI labs), known as a "balanced" piano, I would really recommend watching the videos, great talk throughs.
+Yamaha C7 by Acoustic Samples; a really powerful piano... what the volume on this one, really good price.
+SA Collection by Acoustic Samples; a bundle of piano, but reall the Kawai is probably the only winner.
+Grand Piano Collection by UVI or provided by; Steinway, Fazioli, Seiler, Yamaha C7--- as noted $ vs DISK, not very good, meaning low price because low quality and small disk footprint. imo.

Garritan Yamaha CFX---- you really have to understand Yamaha to enjoy, but a very powerful piano as well, highly recommended.

XLM Audio---- eh, the Steinway is nice, the upright Yamaha, ek. The UI, though--- terrible.

Pianoteq--- lastly. I have this, and now have found I use it the least which brings an interesting write up a found rather recently which sums up modeled piano. While impressive, but not there yet. Personally, having a Roland and Painoteq I find there are problems; distinguishable to some, and not the others. I think there are software flaws, and just not real enough---- too synthetic; almost like Westworld--- hmm, looks like a real woman, drives like one, and yet just isn't a real woman. imo.

There's also KeySpace but at a heavy cost, which imo; you get alot of pianos but it appears geared maybe for one or two really good ones.

Alicia's Keys is on the radar, yet also mingled with controversy.

Galaxy, well that requires Kontakt which is also a heavy expense (frankly well over priced, I think UVI played it better with a free wrapper, and the cash cows are the instruments plugged into it.)

They're higher ends ones as well, lika a Vienna Imperial, although produced by less US know developers.

Steinberg is well known too, but also obscure to the US, and still currently would require a USB iLok license rather than the ilok software (free).

Well, that's probably a peek into pandora's box of pianos... the technology has certainly grown in the last decade. But also keep in mind what matters--- what you like, and what your ear likes. :-)

Tonio #2583594 11/02/16 09:21 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Cinjero, a nice overview of virtual piano samples, but a few comments.

I thought the Galaxy pianos would run on the free Kontakt player. Do they require the full player, the commercial version?

I remember I asked about the AS piano collection from AcousticSamples, a few years back, and the general consensus was just as you say, that the only strong contender is the Kawai Ex Pro, and the other pianos are weak. I still find the Old Black Grand quite intriguing, though.

Last edited by TheodorN; 11/02/16 09:27 AM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
TheodorN #2583598 11/02/16 09:24 AM
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Cinjero, I thought the Galaxy pianos would run on the free Kontakt player. Do they require the full player, the commercial version?

Coincidentally, I bought Vintage D last night and I can confirm it does work with the free Kontakt player. The activation didnb't work on my Mac though, throwing some strange error, until I've read on some forums that I should install also the free Service Center that will take care of activating the virtual piano library.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
Tonio #2583600 11/02/16 09:28 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for that info, Cybergene.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, NI Giant, Sampletekk White Grand, Choc. Audio Steinbach, and a few more. Kontakt 5. Reaper.
TheodorN #2583602 11/02/16 09:51 AM
C
C
Originally Posted by TheodorN
Cinjero, a nice overview of virtual piano samples, but a few comments.

I thought the Galaxy pianos would run on the free Kontakt player. Do they require the full player, the commercial version?

I remember I asked about the AS piano collection from AcousticSamples, a few years back, and the general consensus was just as you say, that the only strong contender is the Kawai Ex Pro, and the other pianos are weak. I still find the Old Black Grand quite intriguing, though.

Thanks.

With Kontakt, I find read the fine print carefully from where you may purchase. Sometimes they say with "Kontakt" but don't specify if it works with the full or free version. :-) There's a piano called the 162---- seemed really cool until I found you needed the full version; which the author published for free, but failed to mention.

Yes, the Old Black is intriguing at times--- kind of like an old dusty western or something.

Tonio #2583646 11/02/16 11:27 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"Garritan Yamaha CFX---- you really have to understand Yamaha to enjoy". This surprised me. I dislike all Yamaha VSTs but this one. It doesn't sound as bright as the others, more balanced IMHO.

I confirm: all Galaxy are compatible with the free Kontakt player.

Last edited by Frédéric L; 11/02/16 11:27 AM.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Cinjero #2583771 11/02/16 05:42 PM
T
Tonio Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks. Good round up Cinjero. I've tried the Galaxy, and listened to demos here and there, of some others you mentioned, without a convincing outcome. But, I *did* go for the Ravens a couple years ago. That has proven to be fantastic. I'm spoiled with it's realism. The Pianoteq is as you mentioned, synthetic...I tried their demo version. For me it does not capture anything near the Ravens. The Garritan might offer something for my taste...I'll look for video demos.

Originally Posted by Cinjero
There's a good thread...........

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Brodmann vs Boston vs Yamaha?
by sdag - 07/12/20 10:12 AM
Warning for second hand sellers
by KevinM - 07/12/20 09:36 AM
Key weight setting
by CajunJ - 07/12/20 09:10 AM
Digital vs Real piano for practicing
by Aceituna - 07/12/20 04:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics200,218
Posts2,979,843
Members97,750
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission