2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (Calavera, Carey, 0day, ada d., Alex Hutor, brennbaer, astrotoy, 15 invisible), 1,050 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2582934 10/30/16 04:46 PM
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
When I started, I thought I would like to learn to play all the songs I know (lots). So I was interested in Improvising. I realized Improvising implied a very high level of Ear Training. And then I could see that Ear Training would take very long.

At the same time, I could also see that I would need to learn to Read, and comforted myself thinking that, while learning to Read, I'd also be learning some Ear Training at the same time, just by association. Also, I wouldn't be happy with just any sound for a song but would want them to sound very good laugh which means I'd first need to get acquainted with many examples before I could even attempt to invent one by myself.

One year and a half later, I've done two Premier books, one Level 1 book and half another Level 1, starting a Level 2. Still very far from my initial goals. laugh

What about you?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Albunea #2582951 10/30/16 05:47 PM
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
My initial goal was to just learn to play the piano.

I purchased a method book and started in.

I then found online courses which promised the "direction" that I needed and specified what I should do "next".

Then, I found a different one which sounded "very good" and purchased it.

And and on and on with that process for 2 or 3 years.

I took some lessons for a bit. Never for more than a month or two.

Then I moved to courses about blues piano and then jazz piano.

And ... I have been going through those types of processes for about 10 years, now.

I still cannot play much on demand because I never seem motivated to bring it up to performance level. I say that I "know a lot" but I cannot "play a lot". The knowledge has not reached my fingers yet. LOL ...

I have now become more focused on playing jazz standards using lead sheets, where I decide how to fill out the music with harmony and rhythm. I like that better than just memorizing the way somebody else plays it.

I am currently taking lessons (online) with a professional jazz player and I am pleased with things so far. I think I now know more of what it takes to be successful and I am putting that knowledge toward my ultimate goal of playing solo cocktail jazz piano.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
dmd #2582952 10/30/16 06:00 PM
A
Albunea Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by dmd
I think I now know more of what it takes to be successful and I am putting that knowledge toward my ultimate goal of playing solo cocktail jazz piano.

yippie 3hearts

Albunea #2582955 10/30/16 06:31 PM
M
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
M
When I started, I thought I would like to learn to play all the Beethoven piano sonatas. Close to how Emil Gilels played them (my favorite Beethoven sonatas performer among 9 different recordings of the full set in my vinyl + CD collection) but not exactly. This one moment here in that sonata I would play slightly more expressively than Gilels did and to that one note in that sonata I would put a little more emphasis than Gilels managed to do.

When 40 years later I bought my first Piano (see signature) it came with a set of piano music sheets divided in several groups - for beginner, intermediate, advanced, etc. At this time I realized that even to play beginner pieces I would need to learn not only all other notes (I knew only Do of first octave) but also a huge amount of alien symbols, Italian words and phrases, B/W graphical art (you know, those single/double vertical lines, horizontal curves and arbitrary oriented dotted lines, etc.). My teacher smiled and asked me put this sheet collection to the shelf for a later time.

At the time of learning other notes on treble clef (no graphical art yet) I could also see that I would need to learn to understand and feel what is whole, half, etc. and why quarter is not always exactly 1/4. At the time of realizing that not all "Do"s are on the line and other "Do"s are on spaces, I comforted myself thinking that I'd also be learning some Ear Training and intervals at the same time, just by association.

After 9 months I am exactly on the half of my way to outperforming Gilels in playing Beethoven sonatas - I have 2 (TWO!!!) pieces that are considered by my teacher as passed, this is one of them - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prZFaPngIYM (no that's not me playing, I am not yet ready to publish my performance, but be patient, soon I will)

Last edited by michaelvi; 10/30/16 06:36 PM.

Started 2016-01-29
Casio Privia PX-760 => Garritan CFX Lite, Ravenscroft 275 => Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 =>ATH-40mx, Sennheiser HD598, JBL LSR305
Albunea #2582957 10/30/16 06:45 PM
A
A
My most serious goal is to one day achieve my RCM Arct. Now you are all going to laugh when I say I have just started grade one. But I am 57 now and my goal is to accomplish this grade by the time I am 72. By then I will be retired and have more time to work moe intensely on the more demanding grades, I believe I can do it, unfortunately I will be an old man by then but this my true goal.

alans #2582960 10/30/16 06:56 PM
M
Silver Subscriber
Silver Subscriber
M
Originally Posted by alans
I am 57 now and my goal is to accomplish this grade by the time I am 72. By then I will be retired and have more time to work moe intensely on the more demanding grades, I believe I can do it, unfortunately I will be an old man by then but this my true goal.
I think we just gave ourselves a second lives.

Started 2016-01-29
Casio Privia PX-760 => Garritan CFX Lite, Ravenscroft 275 => Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 =>ATH-40mx, Sennheiser HD598, JBL LSR305
Albunea #2582988 10/30/16 09:21 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My next goal is to sit for the AMEB diploma of performance and music theory grade 5 exams, which hopefully will be sometimes late next year. I'm so far away from beginners yet so far away from professionals. After the exam I hope to learn:

- Prokofiev Toccata in D minor
- several Beethoven sonatas
- a Chopin sonata
- Chopin Ballade No. 4
- a few Chopin Etudes and Polonaises
- Bach's Goldberg variations
- revisit Ravel's Jeux Deau
- Liszt's La Campenella

Maybe 5-6 years from now if I feel confident I may go for licentiate performance exam along with music theory grade 6. But that will be the ultimate end of my piano goal and I'll free myself from lessons but will definitely keep playing.

Be yourself

Albunea #2582992 10/30/16 09:29 PM
T
T
alans,
I sure can't laugh at your goal... I'm already 72 and I have long term goals for piano. I had 3 1/2 years of college classes in music including tonal harmony, music analysis, class piano, private piano, music composition, piano pedagogy, etc. and more. I've even taught music composition at the junior high and high school level for one year. The problem is that was so many years, and I gave up playing the piano during my entire teaching career. In the last year, however, I've made more progress than I made in the past 25 years altogether. My goal is to be able to play late intermediate classical music and to play any song, and play it well, in the gospel hymn book when I'm called on to play at church. If I can accomplish these goals, I'll be satisfied. I feel like I'm about 1/3 of the way there, so maybe these aren't impossible goals for the lifetime I have left. If I can progress at age 72, I'm sure you can do it at 57. I believe it all depends on how badly we really want to.

Albunea #2582997 10/30/16 10:00 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My goal is to play something for my teacher and have him say it was beautiful and he has nothing to add. Then I'll faint. smile

Best regards,

Deborah
Albunea #2583001 10/30/16 10:19 PM
A
A
Theorygrl,you are an inspiration to me. From time to time people post in this forum that they are in their seventies and even once a gentleman in his eighties and it just makes me want to keep going. I meet too many people my age who say it is too late to start learning music. We should never deprive ourselves of the joy of playing music.

Albunea #2583054 10/31/16 10:08 AM
J
J
For the most part, I've given up on specific long term goals, and I'm trusting my teacher to coach me through short term goals. The process of learning to play piano is so full of fits and starts, that it feels almost impossible to methodically *advance* in a way I'm more familiar with. But then again, I look at material from just 6 months ago and it seems so much easier now than it did at the time.

Right now, I'm working my way through early intermediate repertoire (mostly sonatinas and Bach's Little Preludes) and planning to start my first sonatas in the next few months. Beyond that, I'm planning on playing for my family when I travel home for the holidays.

Short term goals of working piece by piece through repertoire. Medium term of playing for people. Long term I'll figure out when I get there.

Last edited by joename; 10/31/16 10:09 AM.

Alfred's Level One Graduate

Albunea #2583060 10/31/16 10:43 AM
P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
joename, you said what I came to say! I used to have long term goals that I spent a lot of time thinking about and wondering if what I was doing was getting me there. Eventually I got frustrated with my practicing, learning pieces sloppily (*), and worked on improving my practicing so I learn pieces correctly from the beginning, instead of baking in problem spots. As an unexpected result of that, I find myself now simply absorbed in learning and enjoying the pieces I'm learning currently, and not thinking about the future.

Well, I'm not sure I can say my longterm goals have really gone away; it's just that I don't think about them much.

Overarching goal: learn to play classical piano music. More specifically: be able to play Beethoven sonatas and Bach fugues. Somewhat shorter term: learn all the Bach Two-Part Inventions (and then continue on to Sinfonias, etc.) (The music I want to learn isn't restricted to those, but those are where I have the most concrete goals I can name. Other than that it's: play lots of interesting piano music.)

There's another goal which has grown on me, but I'm exploring it with a feel for exploring where I am right now, and the investigations I'm doing to build skills gradually, rather than looking ahead too much to the end result. And that is to develop skills at improvising (and at comping). But I've been working to find a path that works for me, and right now I'm absorbed in exercises that absorb me in the moment, without concern for how long it might take me to get to certain skill levels, or even if I'll ever get there.

(*) Edited to add: and a contributing reason for my sloppy practicing was that I was in such a rush to progress that I wanted to finish pieces quickly and get on to the next piece. I hadn't yet learned that in piano, slow and steady wins the race.

Last edited by PianoStudent88; 10/31/16 11:07 AM.

Piano Career Academy - Ilinca Vartic teaches the Russian school of piano playing
Musical-U - guidance for increasing musicality
Theta Music Trainer - fun ear training games
Albunea #2583069 10/31/16 11:15 AM
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yes, I still have long-term goals...but I will not assign a date to them as part of the goal. It is like a goal of 'I plan to climb Mt. Everest... sometime in the future'.

Not setting a 'due by' date keeps me focused on the baby steps to get to the BIG ones and will not lead to disappointment if I don't reach them by a certain date.

Gooddog #2583081 10/31/16 12:26 PM
I
I
Originally Posted by gooddog
My goal is to play something for my teacher and have him say it was beautiful and he has nothing to add. Then I'll faint. smile

I had to laugh because this is my goal as well, and it looks as if I am a loooooong way away laugh

Yamaha U1
Yamaha CLP 545
Gooddog #2583088 10/31/16 12:49 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

I m rolling with laughter...I needed that belly laughter. I so get it. I have given up on goals, so every compliment I get from my teacher, I take it as huge achievement. THE end.
AS long as I see myself progress based on relative of where I was 2 years ago, daily practice, stick to my lessons, find a piano to practice when on vacation, sight reading, learn a piece from new composer.. I am happy. I SO want to play well, that I am considering retiring way early so I can focus, but then realized I need piano lesson money 😃

alans #2583089 10/31/16 12:51 PM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by alans
My most serious goal is to one day achieve my RCM Arct. Now you are all going to laugh when I say I have just started grade one. But I am 57 now and my goal is to accomplish this grade by the time I am 72. By then I will be retired and have more time to work moe intensely on the more demanding grades, I believe I can do it, unfortunately I will be an old man by then but this my true goal.

It did make me laugh, more that you were so honest, and your goal inspires me...

INBoston #2583090 10/31/16 12:54 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by INBoston

I had to laugh because this is my goal as well, and it looks as if I am a loooooong way away laugh

I'm waiting for my teacher to say something that is a better compliment than 'getting there'. So far, that is the best I have heard.... and infrequently, at that.

Albunea #2583097 10/31/16 01:21 PM
I
I
Yeah, my teacher's best compliments are along the lines of "better", "not bad", and finally (once!) "not sure what else to tell you". Now that last one did make me faint.

Yamaha U1
Yamaha CLP 545
dogperson #2583401 11/01/16 01:54 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dogperson
Originally Posted by INBoston

I'm waiting for my teacher to say something that is a better compliment than 'getting there'. So far, that is the best I have heard.... and infrequently, at that.
My worst moment, (with a previous teacher), was when his one and only positive comment was, "Well, you got all the notes right." It felt like a stab right through my heart. Ugh.

When your teacher is honest, the real complements mean so much more, no? After I play, my teacher will always start with positive comments before he gets to the "needs improvement" ones. I sometimes think, "Oh, cut out the nice stuff and tell me honestly how awful it is." If he doesn't have a lot of negative to say, I get suspicious. When I earn that very rare complement, it really means a lot.

Best regards,

Deborah
Albunea #2584433 11/04/16 03:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Albunea

One year and a half later, I've done two Premier books, one Level 1 book and half another Level 1, starting a Level 2. Still very far from my initial goals. laugh

What about you?

Originally about 7 years ago I wanted to play the pieces that were moving to me, classical romantic, and -ha ha- learn to compose!!!
Well, for me those goals are easily made but not as easily achieved.
Playing even simple melody and 4 part harmony takes a lot of time/concentration.
And composing is somewhat of an academic exercise still, rather than self expression, so I don’t know where it’ll lead.
I can’t say that I’m not satisfied where I am, because I haven’t made any specific goal to measure against.
Except maybe finishing a recital piece or practice piece.
And I’m self taught. Furthermore piano is more of a solo instrument. (I played the clarinet in h.s.)
I’ll take to the ” process outcome” i.e. -practice and random study- rather than outcome alone until I have more time for heavy material and I think it’ll work for me.
But I feel, I am pretty far from my original goals.
Yet on a positive” up- note “, piano study has led me a lot of other goals and projects that are satisfying, and that has of value to me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Line outs recording vs USB recording
by PianoStartsAt33 - 08/10/22 09:33 AM
I'm playing in a special recital!
by Sam S - 08/10/22 09:25 AM
Great Piano Tutorial
by Bart K - 08/10/22 03:54 AM
Piano mindset
by pablobear - 08/10/22 01:37 AM
Boston UP-118S opinions
by skern49 - 08/09/22 11:13 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,326
Posts3,215,216
Members106,055
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission