Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
How It All Really Began
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
80 registered members (AWilley, Bellyman, allegro_concerto, 28 invisible), 1,266 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 46 of 53 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 52 53
Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2549022
06/13/16 09:11 AM
06/13/16 09:11 AM
T
Tim P Offline
Tim P  Offline
T
I believe I just guffawed.

(ad) ROLAND

Click Here

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2549026
06/13/16 09:20 AM
06/13/16 09:20 AM
Austria, EU
L
lophiomys Offline
500 Post Club Member
lophiomys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Austria, EU
Thank you Tim T.
Yet another interesting word to learn at this occasion. wink

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James] #2549649
06/15/16 12:00 PM
06/15/16 12:00 PM
F
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member
Fer De Armas  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi James, I know... but i´m a bit biased too; are you tried Roland FP30, Yamaha P115/155 and Casio PX160?. These DP´s are the direct competitors for the ES100 and their key actions are very similar IMHO, but Kawai AHA-IV is more quicker and responsive although lacks for the third sensor. Cheers!.

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James] #2549650
06/15/16 12:01 PM
06/15/16 12:01 PM
F
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member
Fer De Armas  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Ok James, thanks for your helpful response...!. Regards!.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: lophiomys] #2549653
06/15/16 12:06 PM
06/15/16 12:06 PM
F
Fer De Armas Offline
500 Post Club Member
Fer De Armas  Offline
500 Post Club Member
F
Hi lophiomys, I hope you enjoy a lot the MP7 for a long time. I know that you prefer the Kawai RHII key action over the Roland PHA-IV in the RD800, despite the problems with your MP7. Honestly, I'm glad that you're already fully enjoying your Kawai, the best DP with hollow plastic key action period. Regards!.

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2550007
06/16/16 11:40 PM
06/16/16 11:40 PM
Pennsylvania
drewr Offline
drewr  Offline
Pennsylvania
Tonight I finished a first read through this (presently 46 pages) of MP7 thread; wow! It feels like having done a whirlwind read ( somewhat draining .... exhausted) of a broad-themed novel that includes elements of Genesis, learning/teaching, drama, action/excitement, travail, info/tech dumps, conflict, good will, friendship, collaboration, joy, sorrow, fantasy and of course the unknown given that the whole story is still a work in progress. In the interest of consistency in due diligence, I really should go off and find and if they exist, read, similar threads on, at a minimum, CP4, RD800 and PX-5S/560. Coincidentally, by way of this very thread and the OP, has also started an RD 800 thread ...... sort of helps make Piano World a one-stop resource for enthusiasts trying to make an informed GA ( possibly full blown GA S as the case may be ) decision.

A week ago I was strongly of the mind to trade an ES7 for an MP7 ( or ES8) and generally aware the MP7 is a lot more DP than what I need ( versus want) at the present but as I continue to learn piano playing there are lots of features, toys bells and whistles there waiting for me to learn/know how to make use of or otherwise enjoy.... something to grow old with. Tonight I still have the same basic inclination but now bouyed by the understanding that using an ES7/8 towards its full feature capabilities is intuitive and pretty easy to do, using the MP7 ( or any of the other aforementioned competitors) towards the same extent may be intuitive but will definitely require me to learn how to be more of an audio/computer/piano technician. Even as a still-anxious-to-progress low end intermediate pianist, I've developed a preference for adding other sounds .... layers as backing for grand piano. ES7 certainly allows this ..... like salt & pepper for the dinner plate, MP7 and similar stage models brings salt & pepper ...... and cayenne, lady slipper, curry, dill, mint, sugar, honey, dang gui, ginger, garlic, horse radish, wasabi, set on fire or sedated, with a cherry on top.

James, I have been thoroughly impressed by the job that you perform here ( on line) , especially knowing you have other Kawai job(s) and duties to do off line and suspecting that you have an other/real life / responsibilities outside of work at Kawai. Having spent over 30 years in computer support, the past 20 as a telephone pre/post LAN/WAN tech support call center agent, I can relate and appreciate how, over the course of day in day out, people, be they customers, potential customers or perhaps just lonely people with a tech fetish, can ask all manner of questions; I admire the way you answer with consistent aplomb.

Kudos to many of you regular posters here who collectively share a great wealth of piano tips, knowledge and experience, a genuine albeit small community of like-minded musicians ..... techs .... artists ..... characters ..... people; thank you.

- Kawai MP7 w/ MDR7506 phones and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: drewr] #2550009
06/16/16 11:55 PM
06/16/16 11:55 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Kawai James Online content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kawai James  Online Content
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hi drewrst,

Thanks for your post and kind words.
Congrats on reading through all of the posts in this thread!

Originally Posted by drewrst
ES7 certainly allows this ..... like salt & pepper for the dinner plate, MP7 and similar stage models brings salt & pepper ...... and cayenne, lady slipper, curry, dill, mint, sugar, honey, dang gui, ginger, garlic, horse radish, wasabi, set on fire or sedated, with a cherry on top.

Wow, very nicely put! wink

Originally Posted by drewrst
Kudos to many of you regular posters here who collectively share a great wealth of piano tips, knowledge and experience, a genuine albeit small community of like-minded musicians ..... techs .... artists ..... characters ..... people; thank you.

Agreed! This forum is an absolute treasure trove of knowledge, with a great atmosphere - all thanks to the lovely folks from around the world that contribute. Long may that continue! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 fan & occasional rare groove player.
Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James] #2550010
06/16/16 11:59 PM
06/16/16 11:59 PM
Mountain Time, USA
OneWatt Offline
Bronze Subscriber
OneWatt  Offline
Bronze Subscriber
Mountain Time, USA
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hi drewrst,

Cheers,
James
x

James - Perhaps Kawai's marketing budget includes a complimentary MP7 for anyone who reads through this entire thread? Seems fair enough - OneWatt

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: OneWatt] #2550323
06/18/16 01:29 PM
06/18/16 01:29 PM
Pennsylvania
drewr Offline
drewr  Offline
Pennsylvania
Originally Posted by OneWatt
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Hi drewrst,

Cheers,
James
x

James - Perhaps Kawai's marketing budget includes a complimentary MP7 for anyone who reads through this entire thread? Seems fair enough - OneWatt

A complimentary MP7, would certainly go a long way towards making up my mind on upgrading to a stage model or ES8. As an alternative I would gladly accept a trip to Tokyo to visit piano HQ. 😜

Within the plethora of information I must now digest and sort through there is the potential that opting for the package of stage / performance features will distract from the primary goal of further learning and developing basic piano playing skills, something for which there remains a lot of ground to cover. In the shorter term, taking for granted the new unit arrives free from the kind of bugs, flaws or troubles that can occur with pretty much any make of such $2k gadgets, I would be happy with either model. Over the longer term, taking for granted that I develop the expected playing proficiency, the MP7 will give more room to roam and experiment. Either way involves a bit of putting a horse in front of the cart but some good news is, I have the luxury of time to contemplate.

Last edited by drewrst; 06/18/16 11:20 PM.

- Kawai MP7 w/ MDR7506 phones and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2555310
07/08/16 09:10 PM
07/08/16 09:10 PM
FL
D
Dave Morrill Offline
Dave Morrill  Offline
D
FL
I don't know if this has already been covered before or not, but I'm having difficulty creating usable MP3 audio files on my MP7. The problem is that the audio level of the resulting MP3 file is always too low.

I've tried adjusting the "gain" parameter on the MP7 recording page, but it seems to have little effect on the resulting file. I've tried increasing the gain or normalizing the audio in a DAW running on a PC, but the result is less than satisfactory, since boosting the signal there creates distortion artifacts.

Can anyone describe the correct procedure for using the MP7's "MIDI -> Audio" feature in a way that will produce acceptable audio levels in the file that gets saved to a USB stick?

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2555424
07/09/16 12:15 PM
07/09/16 12:15 PM
United States
L
lsal1 Offline
lsal1  Offline
L
United States
I am a new owner of an MP7 and it should be arriving in less than a week. I bought a B-stock model from Kawai, where its only use was for demos (like the one in these videos) so I shouldn't have any problems. Super excited!

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2555573
07/10/16 12:08 AM
07/10/16 12:08 AM
The Netherlands
V
Vido Offline
Vido  Offline
V
The Netherlands
Hello all, thanks for sharing this marvellous amount of information on the MP7. Especially Kawai James for your everlasting enthousiasm and support. smile
I am on the verge of buying a second-hand MP7 to replace my PC88. thumb
I wonder if the MP7 has a test program or maintenance program built in, and how to invoke it. I could not find any reference to it here or further on the web, while a lot of synths and digital piano's do have such program. confused help

Thanks beforehand!

Vido

Petrof M131 - Roland XP80 & JV2080 fully expanded - Yamaha DX7IIFD & VL70m - Kurzweil PC88 - Akai EWI 4000s

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Dave Morrill] #2555771
07/10/16 10:56 PM
07/10/16 10:56 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Dave,

First, if you have not done so already, may I recommend updating your MP7's firmware to the latest v1.13 update.

Regarding recording audio to USB, due to the very broad dynamic range of a grand piano, the recording level is purposely set a little low to ensure that the recording does not clip/distort during very loud passages. The gain controls can be used to boost this recording level, however in my experience, the best results are usually achieved using the 'Normalise' function of a sound editor - I like the freeware Wavosaur tool for this purpose.

While MP3 is convenient for sending to friends and family, it's generally preferable to do any record to WAV, especially if you intend to manipulate the recording using a sound editor at a later date.

If you would like to send me the MIDI recording of your playing as stored in the MP7's internal song memory, I'll be happy to try converting this to a WAV file, normalising the volume, and sending it back to you via PM.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: lsal1] #2555786
07/10/16 11:55 PM
07/10/16 11:55 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by lsal1
I am a new owner of an MP7 and it should be arriving in less than a week. I bought a B-stock model from Kawai, where its only use was for demos (like the one in these videos) so I shouldn't have any problems. Super excited!

Congrats!

I would also recommend updating to the latest firmware, and downloading the latest owner's manual from the MP website.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Vido] #2555787
07/10/16 11:58 PM
07/10/16 11:58 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Vido,

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your kind words.

Regarding the MP7's test program, yes there is a special boot-up button combination that enables this mode, however I'm not sure it is intended for public disclosure.

I will explain your situation to the MP development team and ask if we can make an exception in your case.

EDIT: I'm afraid the MP7 test mode is not intended for end users. Therefore, I recommend that you check the instrument manually (playing all keys, pressing all buttons, moving all knobs, faders, wheels, etc.)

Sorry I cannot be of greater assistance.

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Kawai James] #2555859
07/11/16 09:21 AM
07/11/16 09:21 AM
FL
D
Dave Morrill Offline
Dave Morrill  Offline
D
FL
Kawai James,

Thanks for getting back to me. I've been pretty good about keeping up with firmware updates, but I'll check to make sure I'm on the latest once I get back home.

I have been using the 'Normalize' function in my DAW, but that seems to introduce a lot of distortion because of the very low input level of the signal its normalizing. However, since WAV is lossless and MP3 is not, a WAV format file may normalize cleaner than an MP3 file, so I will definitely try that when I get back. Thanks...

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2555936
07/11/16 02:22 PM
07/11/16 02:22 PM
The Netherlands
V
Vido Offline
Vido  Offline
V
The Netherlands
Thanks for your reaction. It's a pity the boot/test menu is not available for customers, or is it possible to disrupt the instrument? For a lot of synths and digital piano's this information is available for free.
Anyway, I bought the MP7. It appeared to be in mint condition. Always used at home and smoke-free.

I will update the firmware as soon as possible. Now it is 'v1.03 (CD)' (so it says).

Vido

Petrof M131 - Kawai MP7 - Roland XP80 & JV2080 fully expanded - Yamaha DX7IIFD & VL70m - Kurzweil PC88 -
Akai EWI 4000s

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2555937
07/11/16 02:27 PM
07/11/16 02:27 PM
France
Frédéric L Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Frédéric L  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
France
On many Yamaha digital piano, the test menu is documented in the service manual which is not sold with the piano.

Yamaha CLP150, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Vido] #2556018
07/11/16 08:17 PM
07/11/16 08:17 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Vido,

Originally Posted by Vido
It's a pity the boot/test menu is not available for customers, or is it possible to disrupt the instrument?

I don't believe it's possible to do any harm to the instrument. It's more a case that the Test Mode program is not intended for the general public.

Anyway, I bought the MP7. It appeared to be in mint condition. Always used at home and smoke-free.

Great stuff - congrats on your purchase!

I will update the firmware as soon as possible. Now it is 'v1.03 (CD)' (so it says).

Wow, a lot of improvements have been made since then! Your MP7 is in for a treat. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Dave Morrill] #2556025
07/11/16 08:59 PM
07/11/16 08:59 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Dave,

Originally Posted by Dave Morrill
I have been using the 'Normalize' function in my DAW, but that seems to introduce a lot of distortion because of the very low input level of the signal its normalizing. However, since WAV is lossless and MP3 is not, a WAV format file may normalize cleaner than an MP3 file, so I will definitely try that when I get back.

Just out of curiosity, may I ask which DAW you are using when applying the 'Normalise' function? I expect different packages use different techniques to amplify the signal, and this may introduce noise. However, my experience with the Kawai DPs (especially the MP7/MP11 that I worked with a lot when preparing the KawaiMP.com website) is that recording directly to WAV usually provides a pretty clean recording which can be normalised without introducing too much noise. Of course, this ultimately depends on how the MP7 is configured (e.g. the level of the Zone being recorded), and the kind of music being played.

Cheers,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2557830
07/20/16 06:56 PM
07/20/16 06:56 PM
9190 Offline
9190  Offline
Hello everybody.
I would like to share one strange thing which I encountered. Under certain conditions I hear the sound that I'm not actually perform. To be more exact I hear something like spurious overtone. This occurs under the following conditions:

Tone: Upright Piano (1-4-A).
And then it will be easier for me to provide some sheet music fragments, than to try to describe it. On the sheets below there is small red note "E". It is that spurious overtone, which I hear, but I don't press that key.

[Linked Image]

And it occurs only in that note combination: when I hit at the same time those "A" in the left hand, and "D" (or C-D) keys, written in the sheets. If I first press "A" in the left hand, hold it, and then "D" or "C-D" in the right hand – nothing wrong happens.

Most of all it is audible on my studio monitors. A bit less in consumer headphones. And almost not audible on 2.1 non-professional multimedia speaker system, when listening recorded audio on computer. But on studio monitors and in headphones it is really annoying, which makes me upset. Of course I hear it not like if I would press "E" key. But it is still really audible. On the sheets below there is one example of these notes combination.

[Linked Image]

Some more clarifications:
• I hear this artifact only on Upright Piano (1-4-A) sound. Nothing like this on the main Grand Piano sounds.

• I hear this artifact pressing those keys at any velocities – from the quietest to loudest.

• I tried to use Transpose function to check what will be happened. I made +1 – defect is still there. I made +2 – nothing there.

Can you please check this on your setup and share with your experience? Maybe that's some kind of bug, which could be fixed in the next updates… (I wouldn't want to believe in some specific sensitivity to some frequencies etc. I have absolute hearing and I never experienced something like that before on acoustic or digital instruments).

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: 9190] #2558544
07/25/16 05:46 AM
07/25/16 05:46 AM
9190 Offline
9190  Offline
Originally Posted by 9190
Can you please check this on your setup and share with your experience? Maybe that's some kind of bug, which could be fixed in the next updates…

Is anybody here?

Kawai James? Can you please check this?

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2558783
07/26/16 06:08 AM
07/26/16 06:08 AM
Austria, EU
L
lophiomys Offline
500 Post Club Member
lophiomys  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L
Austria, EU
Hello 9190,
You could try to turn OFF "String Resonance".

With string resonance on, the E4 comes in as an resonant overtone of A2, only if you silently depress E4 beforehand or lift the dampers with the pedal.

Playing the cord normally with the Upright 1-4-A (default settings) I only start to hear it a little, if the chord is given time to ring out for some time. But that could be in the realm of my imagination, because I was concentrating on this specific tone. For my ears, nothing out of the usual, despite not liking the samples of the Upright Piano anyway.

Tested with MP7, latest firmware v1.13(March 2016), Syrincs M3-220DT monitors and Beyerdynamic DT990 headphones. BTW the DT990 headphones sound "cleaner" to me than the monitors, although that are very subtle effects to my ears.

HTH

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: 9190] #2558793
07/26/16 06:50 AM
07/26/16 06:50 AM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hamamatsu, Japan
Can you please check this on your setup and share with your experience? Maybe that's some kind of bug, which could be fixed in the next updates…

Is anybody here?

Kawai James? Can you please check this?

9190, sorry for my delayed response.

I've just had a chance to check this, but I'm afraid I cannot really hear the E note when playing our MP7 with earphones.

I performed a Factory Reset, then selected the Upright Piano sound. I created a recording of the two passages and uploaded them both here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxCTkcb-oeBcU05fTGJUUnVUVnc

I have listened to this passage, and alterations of the same cluster of notes several times, I also played the E note separately to give my ears a 'guide' of what to listen for, but cannot really hear it. Perhaps my ears are not terribly sensitive? Have you tried adjusting/reducing the String Resonance parameter as lophiomys suggests?

Sorry I cannot be of greater assistance. :\

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2558814
07/26/16 09:06 AM
07/26/16 09:06 AM
9190 Offline
9190  Offline
Thank you lophiomys, thank you Kawai James for replies and recommendations.

I will read them more carefully and will try your recommendations a bit later.

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2582052
10/27/16 10:53 AM
10/27/16 10:53 AM
The Netherlands
V
Vido Offline
Vido  Offline
V
The Netherlands
Hello all,
It's a bit quiet here, lately. Everybody busy playing or is the interest for the MP7 already subsiding? In my opinion there is still a lot to discuss... Well, let me try to put some life in this thread. ;-)

I have been using my MP7 for about three months now, and I am only starting to discover its many great functions. I'm still very glad with a lot of the sounds, especially, of course, the pianos
However, I have a few improvement suggestions for the firmware (I'm using 1.13). I hope there is still active support for the MP7 firmware @Kawai... Anyway here are my (small) suggestions for Kawai-James:
1. When saving a recording (wav/mp3), the display shows the message 'Loading' instead of 'Saving'. I find this quite confusing. I did not test yet if the same happens when saving an SMF file.
2. It would be great during overdubbing, when the filename of the current file would be shown instead of (always) the suggested default name 'Audio-000'. Usually when overdubbing one starts a series of files, and I personally only like to quickly save by only changing the numbering at the end of the filename (and then start playing the overdub). Now I have to go through the (not very handy) naming procedure each time... This disturbs the creative process.
3. When using the Metronome, the lights of the Exit and Edit buttons are used to flash the beat. They always alternate. I would propose a different way of flashing: the Exit button always on the first beat of the bar, and the Edit button on the rest of the beats, i.e. in a four-four beat the current lighting is Ex-Ed-Ex-Ed, I would propose Ex-Ed-Ed-Ed
(Especially in a odd-numbered beat the current behaviour is unhandy: e.g. three-four beat
current is Ex-Ed-Ex|Ed-Ex-Ed, in my proposal Ex-Ed-Ed|Ex-Ed-Ed)
4. I noticed that the maximum volume for audio recordings is 100 while the maximum volume for midi-recordings is 127. Is there a reason for this? And what does it mean? Is 100 in the audio mode the same volume as 127 in the SMF mode, or is it different? If the volumes are really different, my suggestion is to make them equal. If the volumes are not different I suggest to name them the same (both 127, I assume).
5. In the USB>Load menu, it is not possible to directly load a wav/mp3 recording, only an SMF recording. Why is this? I would suggest to replace the SMF entry by 'Song' after which a choice can be made between SMF and Audio.

Then I have a few questions.
1. When recording midi data, it should be possible to open a kind of mixer display in which you can select and mute any of the 16 tracks. I can not find how to enter this display. Could you help me how to do this?

2. I use a midi-mixer and I would sometimes like to play the internal sounds of the Kawai from the Kawai keyboard via my midi-mixer (or from an external keyboard - which is sometimes necessary when creating compositions together with my other synths). This means that I put 'Local off'. But how should I setup a channel (Main/or Sub1-3) so that it responds to the internal sounds (i.e. keyboard-mixer-back to sound engine of the MP7)? If I put it in 'Int' no sound comes from the MP7. If I put it to 'Ext' both my external synth as the internal sound comes via the same channel (Main/or Sub1-3) and the slider controls the volumes of both sounds at once (i.e. I cannot individually change the volume of the sounds).

All responses would be greatly appreciated! Thanks beforehand.

Vincent

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2582087
10/27/16 01:53 PM
10/27/16 01:53 PM
Tennessee
B
brooster Online content
brooster  Online Content
B
Tennessee
I have a question about using a MP7 to control a Roland Integra 7. The Jupiter 80, Jupiter 50 plus the A88 and A49 have buttons next to the pitch-mod lever labeled S1 and S2. These buttons send midi CC81 and CC82 messages to manipulate Supernatural sounds.
Can the SW1 and the SW2 buttons on the Kawai MP7 be set to send midi CC81 and CC82 messages to the Integra 7? If not can any of the buttons on the MP7 be set to send the CC81 and CC82 messages?

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Vido] #2582174
10/27/16 07:39 PM
10/27/16 07:39 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hello Vido,

Thank you for your suggestions - I shall pass them on to the MP development team for their consideration.

To answer your queries:

1. When recording midi data, it should be possible to open a kind of mixer display in which you can select and mute any of the 16 tracks. I can not find how to enter this display. Could you help me how to do this?

The 16 track mixer screen is only accessible when using the 'SMF Direct Play' function (page 78 of the owner's manual). The internal song recorder does not allow recording to more than one track, thus there is no mixer functionality.

2. I use a midi-mixer and I would sometimes like to play the internal sounds of the Kawai from the Kawai keyboard via my midi-mixer (or from an external keyboard - which is sometimes necessary when creating compositions together with my other synths). This means that I put 'Local off'. But how should I setup a channel (Main/or Sub1-3) so that it responds to the internal sounds (i.e. keyboard-mixer-back to sound engine of the MP7)? If I put it in 'Int' no sound comes from the MP7. If I put it to 'Ext' both my external synth as the internal sound comes via the same channel (Main/or Sub1-3) and the slider controls the volumes of both sounds at once (i.e. I cannot individually change the volume of the sounds).

In order to achieve this, please set the following settings in the SYSTEM:MIDI menu:

1. Rcv.Mode = Multi
2. Rcv.Ch1 = Main, Rcv.Ch2 = Sub1, Rcv.Ch3 = Sub2, Rcv.Ch4 = Sub3

This should do the trick - best of luck!

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: brooster] #2582177
10/27/16 07:48 PM
10/27/16 07:48 PM
Hamamatsu, Japan
Hamamatsu, Japan
Originally Posted by brooster
Can the SW1 and the SW2 buttons on the Kawai MP7 be set to send midi CC81 and CC82 messages to the Integra 7? If not can any of the buttons on the MP7 be set to send the CC81 and CC82 messages?

No, I'm afraid not.

Currently CC# can only be assigned to the control knobs. However, a forthcoming software update will allow CC# to be assigned to the zone faders (in EXT mode).

Kind regards,
James
x

Re: KAWAI MP7 THREAD [Re: Marko in Boston] #2582435
10/28/16 05:09 PM
10/28/16 05:09 PM
The Netherlands
V
Vido Offline
Vido  Offline
V
The Netherlands
Hello Kawai James,

Thanks for your response! I am going to try it out, soon.

However, a forthcoming software update will allow CC# to be assigned to the zone faders (in EXT mode).

This remark makes me very curious about what the new firmware will have to offer. I'm glad that support is still going on...
Up to page 47 of this interesting thread!

Vincent

Page 46 of 53 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 52 53

Moderated by  Piano World 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
A few of the many new items we've added to our online store.
(PianoSupplies.com is a division of Piano World)
wrap around sunglasses with music notes
Wrap around sun glasses with music notes

88 keys, 10 fingers, no problem
88 Keys, 10 Fingers, No Problem

Bass Clef Hat
Bass Clef Hat

Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beethoven's Pathetique: short lecture
by MiguelSousa. 07/15/18 10:30 PM
Satie Gymnopedie
by cmb13. 07/15/18 09:50 PM
Recommend a Favorite Ravel?
by Kojak. 07/15/18 08:45 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,441
Posts2,732,081
Members90,574
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission