Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
34 registered members (Brahms4, Boboulus, Charles Cohen, AZNpiano, CyberGene, 3am_stargazing, Chrispy, Animisha, djvu10, 6 invisible), 2,733 guests, and 1,031 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Opinions on used pianos #2581457 10/24/16 09:16 PM
R
RickG1 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I haven't posted much here as I am enjoying my house pipe organ and been more enthralled with that. LOL However, a relative has asked my opinion on used pianos with a $1,500 budget which I know is not much. A digital is really not preferred ( I know many of you think this is best for the money). They have looked at one piano shop , all are approx. 42-43 " high.

Pearl River Up110R 2001 (this would be least desirable IMHO) $1,499

Kimball 1992 (Sonata ) $1,789 French Prov.

Kimball 1981 ,$1,391

Delivery $250 charge extra . All pianos "reconditioned" which I know what that entails but at least they were in tune and had minor work done.
I told them to keep shopping even though I thought the newer Kimball was maybe the best OF THE LOT. I know at this price point there is not going to be much available , at least at a dealer. I also suggested that they should try to get either free delivery and or tunings thrown in or bargain somehow. But they are not in the position to look on CL or classifieds. Opinions Please.
Thank you!

Last edited by RickG1; 10/24/16 10:27 PM.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Opinions on used pianos [Re: RickG1] #2581463 10/24/16 09:42 PM
D
djat1984 Offline
D
I seriously think that the purchase of a piano with such a low budget should be postpone until more money is available because it's very unlikely to find something that will last, and if the person buying it is on a budget, I am sure he/she won't want to waste money on an instrument requiring more maintenance than another... maintenance costs money, and it can be a lot of it for some piano. I would be very careful.

Re: Opinions on used pianos [Re: djat1984] #2581464 10/24/16 09:53 PM
P
Piano90X Offline
P
Originally Posted by djat1984
I seriously think that the purchase of a piano with such a low budget should be postpone until more money is available because it's very unlikely to find something that will last, and if the person buying it is on a budget, I am sure he/she won't want to waste money on an instrument requiring more maintenance than another... maintenance costs money, and it can be a lot of it for some piano. I would be very careful.

I agree.

The tuning costs alone will exceed the value of a cheap upright after a short while.

Get a nice weighted-key digital.

Re: Opinions on used pianos [Re: RickG1] #2581479 10/24/16 11:08 PM
H
huaidongxi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
modest console pianos usually won't see much correcting/new parts when they're 'reconditioned', simple economics of course. the selection in used pianos like that will vary a lot depending on your market -- greater chances where we are there are plenty of keyboard consumers both digital and acoustic, creating a turnover, and those are entry level type of pianos to start beginners on. the best course is sampling as many consoles or larger (the next size up, 45 in.+, is almost always a stronger instrument in the budget brands). in some places you can find a former institutional studio piano like a Baldwin Hamilton at a very reasonable price ; they're built for long service, but aren't always put to the extreme in their service life. when my budget was limited, looked at many small verticals, and the condition/quality was all over the place, ended up with a made in the u.s. Baldwin acrosonic in very good condition, a few hundred bucks. have seen similar pianos advertised in the price range you've described, but they were on ebay. if you're more partial to the u.s.a. made brands, now defunct, rather than the chinese or korean (which assimilate amerikaner brand names of course like cable nelson, kohler & campbell, weber), in my shopping around days twenty odd years ago the everett's were a little more dynamic than the kimball's, as far as middle grade brands. lester was another decent middle grade brand, but didn't survive past 1960 so they're not likely to be found in retail dealers.

Re: Opinions on used pianos [Re: RickG1] #2581813 10/26/16 08:24 AM
R
RickG1 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thanks to those that answered. They are reconsidering about an acoustic and now leaning to the digital. Considering the situation, I think this is probably the best option. I know really am not fond of DPs but I do know they have come a long ways. Thanks again.

Mason-Hamlin "A" and Schlicker 2 manual and pedal pipe organ
Re: Opinions on used pianos [Re: RickG1] #2581817 10/26/16 08:38 AM
J
Jeff G Offline
J
They all sound high to me. You can find a descent console for much less(a few hundred). Find a qualified technician to go over it, another $250-300, simple regulation, etc. and for $500-$700 you can have a very nice piano.

Keep looking. I just saw a Baldwin 5' grand on Craiglist for FREE, in descent shape. If you find a good old full upright, people often give them away. New hammers, felts, regulation and you can have a fantastic sounding piano. It is always best to have a qualified technician check it out before grabbing one. They are heavy to move.

Re: Opinions on used pianos [Re: RickG1] #2581821 10/26/16 09:01 AM
D
dat77 Offline
D
Going digital for now is best option. Around 15 years ago I bought a used kimball paid $800 for it. Had heavy action the sound wasn't very good ending up stopped playing piano.got rid of it and bought a digital used it for a couple of years I preferred digital compared to the kimball. Then 3 years ago I bought a used yamaha u7 which I love. To get a good used piano spend close to $4000 buy digital now and save money then buy a good acoustic piano.

Re: Opinions on used pianos [Re: RickG1] #2581828 10/26/16 09:13 AM
Rickster Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JeffG
They all sound high to me. You can find a descent console for much less(a few hundred). Find a qualified technician to go over it, another $250-300, simple regulation, etc. and for $500-$700 you can have a very nice piano.

Keep looking. I just saw a Baldwin 5' grand on Craiglist for FREE, in descent shape. If you find a good old full upright, people often give them away. New hammers, felts, regulation and you can have a fantastic sounding piano. It is always best to have a qualified technician check it out before grabbing one. They are heavy to move.

I agree, Jeff.

Those pianos might be decent beginner pianos, but with just a little more money, they could get a whole-lot more piano, in my view.

Also, and this is just my opinion, I'd choose an older American made piano over a very early Chinese made one. The more recent Chinese made piano are a different story.

Just my .02.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
Re: Opinions on used pianos [Re: RickG1] #2581899 10/26/16 02:12 PM
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Kimball pianos are good pianos for beginners. I would suggest they rent any piano they like and ask the dealer to apply the rent toward a purchase. If they don't like or play it they can return it.

Steve
Bösendorfer 170

Bösendorfer 170

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
I just bought a new Kawai K. 300 vertical
by shirlkirsten - 01/29/20 12:36 AM
Kobe Bryant the Piano Builder
by TimM_980 - 01/29/20 12:07 AM
Arturia Keylab 88, any opinions??
by Pianero - 01/28/20 11:00 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics196,590
Posts2,918,599
Members95,768
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission