Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
105 registered members (Bett, AnnInMiami, anotherscott, Angelos58, AaronSF, AAC127, Alex C, AZNpiano, 24 invisible), 1,699 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing #2577469
10/09/16 08:46 PM
10/09/16 08:46 PM
CT
wolfgangmeister Offline OP
wolfgangmeister  Offline OP

CT
Over the past few months, I've had the privilege of developing a close working relationship with a very skilled concert technician, Boaz Kirschenbaum, whose expertise is in tone regulation and voicing; In fact, he is the new Chief Voicing Technician at Mason & Hamlin. He spent the last two days working on both my new Mason & Hamlin BB and my older Yamaha C3 and now I have two beautiful sounding instruments that exhibit both beautiful tone and color! Over the next few weeks, I hope to provide some before and after comparisons of both instruments.

[Linked Image]

The experience of collaboratively working with such a skilled technician, who has many years of training at North Bennet School in Boston, at the CF Theodore Steinway School in Hamburg, as a Concert Technician working in the famed Steinway Hall “basement” on West 57th Street, as a Licensed Stanwood Precision Touch Installer and in his new role at M&H is one that I will never forget, and an experience that I would highly recommend for any new M&H owner. I tried to document each step in the process.

[Linked Image]

As M&H Chief Voicing Technician, Boaz main focus at the factory since April, is to establish what it takes to create the Mason & Hamlin "Signature Sound" and insure uniform quality for all pianos leaving the factory. This in theory should reduce workload on the local M&H dealer and also makes any follow-up "in-home" tone regulation & voicing touch-ups much simpler. Mason & Hamlin BB's are known for their rich & powerful bass, a smooth & lyrical tenor and a clear bell-like treble.

[Linked Image]

The goal of our all-day session was to recreate what Boaz and the Voicing & Regulation team now insure on each new piano being delivered from the factory; i.e. insure a consistent Mason & Hamlin "Signature Sound" that is: 1) smooth, round & creamy, 2) powerful (with balanced time to power) and 3) maximizes sustain & ring time. One must also make sure that the concert technician is provided the 'proper inspiration' for optimal voicing and tone regulation!:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The process begins with insuring proper key spacing and let-off.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He then sands the keybed for smoother operation of the soft/shift pedal.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then he inspects and lubricates the sustain/damper mechanism and pedal to insure that friction is minimized.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next, is the time consuming operation where he optimally shapes all of the hammers.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The concert technician then moves on to inspect proper string-leveling.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He then follows this up insuring that every hammer perfectly aligns with each of the strings it is intended to strike - at the same time.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Following this, he massages each strings in the undamped, treble section to insure that there are no false beats.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Next he does a critical inspection of each key's repetition, wippen assembly, pinning & shank action - e.g. insuring no "clicking" - and adjusting if necessary.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Now we are ready for a concert level tuning.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Upon completion of this step, the concert technician is now ready for final voicing. When he has completed, the pianist and technician optimally listen together and make any necessary adjustments.
[Linked Image]

Finally, upon request, the concert technician signs the piano, providing a seal of approval of the job! Great having the M&H Chief Voicer's signature of approval on my Mason & Hamlin BB... Thank you Boaz Kirschenbaum!
[Linked Image]

For a more comprehensive set of pictures from the session, here's a link to the PianoWorld Photo Gallery - Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing:

Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2577483
10/09/16 11:24 PM
10/09/16 11:24 PM
P
Piano90X Offline
Piano90X  Offline
P

Outstanding post. Informative and interesting.

Did I understand you correctly that M&H will always fly out an in-house technician to tune all of their factory-purchased pianos? Is that built into the price of the new piano, or is it a separate fee?

Did you get to try out the piano before you bought it from the factory?

Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2577521
10/10/16 06:16 AM
10/10/16 06:16 AM
CT

CT
Hi Piano90X,

Current coverage is one free tuning, general regulation touchup, etc. after delivery of your piano - coordinated through your place of purchase. The recent actions to have the factory invest more time focused on Tone Regulation, M&H Signature Voicing, etc. is going back to M&H's Golden Age roots of performing a significant amount of this refinement at factory, and is part of an effort to ease the burden on the dealer network (some of whom have outstanding piano techs and/or can afford them and others who don't/can't) and consistently insure that all piano's produced by Mason & Hamlin are the best they possibly could be when customers first play and evaluate them.

My piano was produced and purchased just prior to Mason & Hamlin hiring their new Chief Voicing Technician... so although it went through some significant voicing and tone regulation, it a) didn't pass the same voicing and tone regulation quality check described above, and b) had undergone some changes in voicing and regulation due to playing time, moving to a couple of new locations, etc.

In my case, I hired their Chief Voicer - Boaz Kirschenbaum to 1) renovate/restore my older Yamaha C3 shank / flange / knuckles /hammers with new WNG carbon-fiber/composite action elements featuring Abel Natural Hammers and 2) spend a day (just like he would have done on any new Mason & Hamlin produced today) performing a complete concert voicing and tone-regulation job on my virtually new Mason & Hamlin BB. While at Mason & Hamlin University a few weeks ago, many of the dealers in attendance discussed with Mason & Hamlin management what I just did - as a potential option that might be offered to select customers who have such a need; e.g. owners of CC-94's, BB's and perhaps even AA's. Other premium makers do offer this. Perhaps this is something you could request at time of purchase from the factory or your local M&H dealer? Because after Boaz had completed adjusting the voicing for my room, the subtle control of it's WNG action and tonal color palette of my Model BB is what I would consider world-class for a 7' Semi-Concert Grand piano... including all direct Steinway B, Bechstein 208/228, Estonia 210/225, August Forster 215, Petrof P210, Schimmel K219, Seiler 208, Shigeru Kawai SK-6/7, and Yamaha CF6 competitors. I'm so glad I purchased this fine instrument, and wouldn't trade my particular piano for any of them!

In my case, I visited the M&H factory last year and subsequently selected my Model BB from three that they had on their 6th Floor Selection Room. I actually eliminated one of the BB's after playing it for 5 minutes (and even tried it once more an hour later with same reaction); nice piano - didn't inspire me. But I must have spent three hours going back and forth between the two other BB's, a satin one and my polished one. Both were outstanding instruments, but in the end, I felt mine had more distinctive voicing and tonal character; the tone bloomed more to me - so I selected and purchased it right there.

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2577980
10/11/16 08:29 PM
10/11/16 08:29 PM
CT

CT

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2577993
10/11/16 09:26 PM
10/11/16 09:26 PM
M
Michiyo-Fir Offline
500 Post Club Member
Michiyo-Fir  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

The BB sounds great! Beautiful singing tone and lots of clarity but with a good amount of overtones too which I love. Very nice sounding piano. I have tried the AA BB and CC locally but they were voiced so differently that some (CC) was very bright while some (AA) was very dark. I didn't know what to think since the consistency was lacking but yours sounds very very nice.

Characteristically different from a European piano, but very sweet tone which some European pianos lack.

Yamaha C3, Yamaha Avant Grand N1 (sold), Steingraeber 170 (family's)
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2578024
10/11/16 11:47 PM
10/11/16 11:47 PM
Oakland
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
BDB  Offline
B

Oakland
I have to admit that although it may be the recordings, if I were asked to decide without being told which recording was which, I would be hard pressed to say. I might even get which is before and after wrong, even knowing which piano it was.

Semipro Tech
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2578025
10/11/16 11:50 PM
10/11/16 11:50 PM
CT

CT
Many thanks Michiyo-Fir!

I do love my BB, it's lyrical and sweet tone, deep resonant bass and crystal bell treble! I think having a new Chief Voicing Technician that insures that all new Mason & Hamlin pianos have this "Signature Sound" when arriving at the dealers, is a great development at the factory. All the new M&H pianos that I've played produced from the factory since April, are consistently exhibiting this type of character... that's why I really wanted him to spend a day with my BB! It's a historic make and I think it's important for folks to know that Mason & Hamlin is back, stronger than ever. I'm really glad you like it!

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2578031
10/12/16 12:22 AM
10/12/16 12:22 AM
P
Piano90X Offline
Piano90X  Offline
P

Jason, I love reading your posts. It is so fun to nerd out to all of this stuff, and I'm so glad you've taken the time to share your experiences.

It's so fun to hear different pianos and the different tones they produce, and to compare them after proper tuning (or reconditioning in the case of your C3).

Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2578120
10/12/16 08:24 AM
10/12/16 08:24 AM
CT

CT
Thank you very much Piano90X... I really appreciate it and have enjoyed your inquisitiveness in your posts too! I'm glad you have found some of the recent posts somewhat entertaining and hopefully instructional. I thought sharing what a very skilled concert tech does when they prepare a piano for tone regulation and voicing (like my BB). I enjoyed the checklist of steps they go through and if this is done on each instrument as it leaves the factory, the manufacturer (in this case Mason & Hamlin) achieves a consistent family sound signature, yet also fine tunes each hand made piano with a distinct character based on where it wants to go (e.g. intimate vs. more projection).

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: BDB] #2578129
10/12/16 08:51 AM
10/12/16 08:51 AM
New York City
pianoloverus Online content
pianoloverus  Online Content

New York City
Originally Posted by BDB
I have to admit that although it may be the recordings, if I were asked to decide without being told which recording was which, I would be hard pressed to say. I might even get which is before and after wrong, even knowing which piano it was.
I felt the same way. I really couldn't hear any/much difference except that the pre voicing recording seemed to have some extra "noise" in the recording.

Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2578150
10/12/16 10:08 AM
10/12/16 10:08 AM
CT

CT
Well in some way, as a pianist, I may consider this to be a form of compliment... To this day, my 97 year old teacher, coach and mentor Prof Raymond Hanson from the Hartt School of Music, tells me that one cannot solely rely on a great piano to play musically; one needs to be able to do this despite an instrument's strengths and weaknesses and work with what it gives you. Pianists have a great feedback loop and when you know your instrument, you immediately compensate based on what you are hearing.

Prior to voicing, the BB's bass and treble were exhibiting more initial power and less sustain; after voicing we traded this for more power over time, with much better sustain (less noise?). In the former recording I had to use more soft pedal to compensate. As part of the voicing and tone regulation process, Boaz insured each break transition (e.g. bass to tenor, agraffe to capo, and damped to undamped was even with and without the soft pedal deployed. So it was much easier for me to concentrate on playing the piece easy and lyrical, and worry less about compensating for the formerly louder treble, for instance. Make sense?

When I get back from my trip, I'll record some Chopin and other works and see if I can use a little more of the keyboard span. In any case, it is a pure delight to play now. Thanks!

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: wolfgangmeister] #2578487
10/13/16 07:46 PM
10/13/16 07:46 PM
Reseda, California
J
JohnSprung Online content
Unobtanium Subscriber
JohnSprung  Online Content
Unobtanium Subscriber
J

Reseda, California
Originally Posted by wolfgangmeister

Now we are ready for a concert level tuning.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I notice that he wears headphones during the tuning. Why? Does anyone here do that?

Last edited by JohnSprung; 10/13/16 07:46 PM.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
Re: Mason & Hamlin BB: Optimal Tone Regulating & Concert Voicing [Re: JohnSprung] #2578496
10/13/16 08:20 PM
10/13/16 08:20 PM
Georgia, USA
terminaldegree Offline
4000 Post Club Member
terminaldegree  Offline
4000 Post Club Member

Georgia, USA
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

I notice that he wears headphones during the tuning. Why? Does anyone here do that?

I do also. I have a set of earplugs that were fitted by an audiologist with 9db filters that can be installed in lieu of the "hard plugs" which block out far more sound. The response of the filters is such that I can still hear beats and tune unisons. After a long tuning session with firm test blows (I use a key banger for that, which also saves wear and tear on my fingers) my ears are still "fresh" when I pop the plugs out.

They also come in handy for loud movies, yard work, etc. and are more comfortable than other alternatives because they're custom made.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Dwight piano
by WY2298. 11/12/18 05:23 PM
Ydp-143 and iPhone - what can I do?
by Chilligirl. 11/12/18 04:44 PM
'Un hiver à Majorque"
by dolce sfogato. 11/12/18 04:33 PM
Same notes on different Clef - D4
by XxKeldecknightxX. 11/12/18 04:31 PM
Need advice on 2017 Seiler ED186 vs 2012 Schimmel C189
by Joe Apisarn. 11/12/18 02:50 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,303
Posts2,760,531
Members91,475
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission