Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
105 registered members (36251, Abdol, Arty Movie, achoo42, AZNpiano, anotherscott, ando, beeboss, 27 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea #2577384
10/09/16 03:11 PM
10/09/16 03:11 PM
Poland
K
kapelli Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
kapelli  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
K

Poland
First of all, I have to say, my idea is inspired by Roland, but, nevertheless I have bit another idea. It's not be aimed at particular brad, but something what can make your piano sound spectacular.

First of all needed components are:
- small stereo amplifier
- set of speakers
- digital crossover, like Behringer DCX2496 or similar
- total cost should be between 600-1000 USD

My idea consist of

1. Below the keyboard - mounted at bottom back plate:
- two 10 inch woofers
OR
- six-eight small woofers/fullrange to create a soundbar
OR
- two 10-12 inch fullrange speakers

my favourite is option 1 or 3

They should be cut around 500-600Hz (that's just an idea)

2. At the top of the piano you have to build around 10cm (or lower if possible ) C letter shaped construction, inside which you will place :
- 4 midrange speakers at the bottom line of the piano (be tchem only coned or classic). midranges will be directed straight up
- 2 tweeter which will be placed at the left and right corners of the piano, directed towards the pianist head

Another option to fit the tweeters is to place them after first and third midrange, so there will be only small box placed at the top of the piano.

Considering using good, but not overly expensive speakers like Scan-Speak Discovery, Dayton, Hi-Vi, the cost will not be too high.

3. Sound will be delivered via line out.

What do you think about it? Active crossover and amp you can hide somehow below the keyboard.

How do you see that concept? Do oyu think it is possible to get the reliable sound projection both for pianist and listeners? Do you see any pros or cons?

Of course, after doing the basic set-up, the proper measurements should be made at the point of pianist head, and using the proper white or another noise the crossover should be set-up.

For the brave ones, I think there is also possibility to cut the hald of top plate, and mound the speaker bar with the top of it at the level of top plate and cover with speaker cloth (sorry, I don't know the proper enligh name for loudspeaker sound transparent cloth covers).

Of course, that design is made to be working with the pianos which do not have too complicated sound projection systems, otherwile I see it impossible to fit with the piano.

Attached simple drawing. In the red lines I marked that additional soundbar to be placed on the piano.

What I see at potential of it is:
- you can merge it with piano with little of change to it, it's not as scary as full monitors
- probably it is possible to get the audiophile sound quality and even made it to our own taste by using the drivers we prefer
- you don't have to pay the premium price (od double the price of the piano) for speaker system, just buy the cheapest piano from the series and voila!

NEgative:
- it is costly
- you need to have friends who has spekaer measurement microphones and software (fortunately, I have)
- you need to be a bit brave, because you need to have some basic DIY skill
- say goodbye to warranty in case of fully mergin with piano (but it is possible to use my idea without any changes to piano)
- it's limited to not too much pianos

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kapelli; 10/09/16 03:13 PM.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2577427
10/09/16 06:16 PM
10/09/16 06:16 PM
Raleigh, North Carolina
MacMacMac Offline
8000 Post Club Member
MacMacMac  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Raleigh, North Carolina
I can't see building speakers when they're available as ready-to-go retail units.

How about just using a pair of bookshelf speakers? Or a pair of monitors?
Put them on top of the piano. Or put them on proper stands beside or behind?

Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2577442
10/09/16 07:30 PM
10/09/16 07:30 PM
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

I'd love to see a manufacturer try ribbon speaker technology in a 2.1 panel configuration (Left, Right and Bass) laid out as a soundboard would be. One of these days I'll try it out myself. They are thin flat panels and the sound emanates in all directions.

Here is how I see the layout on an upright digital piano. Basically the entire face and back of the instrument are speaker panels. Sound emanates both toward the player and away. Using 3 speakers in the panel allows for left and right panning and the lower part of the panel handles the lower frequencies we associate with the floor anyway.

[Linked Image]

IMHO traditional drivers like this,
[Linked Image]
are generally too directional and many designs don't do a great job reproducing acoustic instruments. YMMV

Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: ElmerJFudd] #2577493
10/10/16 01:35 AM
10/10/16 01:35 AM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Why not use transducers on a full backboard like Kawai do? Full range, not just the bass bits . . . .you don`t have to use maple you know . . . grin

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: peterws] #2577533
10/10/16 08:21 AM
10/10/16 08:21 AM
Italy
P
Paolo70 Offline
Paolo70  Offline
P

Italy
Hi Peter,

For what it's worth, I just finished a little audio improvement project for my (rather seasoned) digital piano which goes pretty much in the direction you suggest. In practice, I replaced my piano's original MDF backboard with an identically shaped 6mm plywood panel and glued a couple of 10W exciters on its back side. I then connected the exciters in parallel to the original speaker boxes.

The overall sound quality isn't very different from the original, but I find the spatial projection to have improved a lot with the additional soundboard. For your information, my original plan was to replace the original speakers with the soundboard altogether, but for various reasons I wasn't able to achieve a sufficiently balanced frequency response with it, so I went for the soundboard + speakers combination.

For the electronic geeks yes, I know I have halved the impedance seen at the amplifier outputs, so I'm a bit more cautious with the volume slider now wink ). In case anybody is interested, I can post a picture of the finished work.

Ciao,
Paolo

Yamaha CLP-970
Roland JV-1080
Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2577536
10/10/16 08:52 AM
10/10/16 08:52 AM
Tennessee
B
brooster Offline
500 Post Club Member
brooster  Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

Tennessee

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2577585
10/10/16 12:50 PM
10/10/16 12:50 PM
T
Tim P Offline
Tim P  Offline
T

ElmerJFudd - Ribbon speakers in a digital piano is a really interesting idea. I'd love to hear that as well. If I remember correctly, however, ribbon speakers tend to very finicky about amplification and being in close proximity to surfaces, like a back wall. But when they're set up well they're astoundingly realistic.

Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: Tim P] #2577646
10/10/16 04:33 PM
10/10/16 04:33 PM
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Tim P
ElmerJFudd - Ribbon speakers in a digital piano is a really interesting idea. I'd love to hear that as well. If I remember correctly, however, ribbon speakers tend to very finicky about amplification and being in close proximity to surfaces, like a back wall. But when they're set up well they're astoundingly realistic.

Something I've been wondering about for quite a while,

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2369191/Ribbon_speakers_for_digital_pi.html

Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2577651
10/10/16 05:02 PM
10/10/16 05:02 PM
Poland
K
kapelli Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
kapelli  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
K

Poland
I posted that thread, because there is a huge interest in providing a good piano speaker system, but making it still looking nice and not changing home into music studio. Thus my solution is solving all problem - both with projection and look. Also there is advanced technology and speaker building knowledge behind it.

Also, ribbon speakers are hard to made to play even midrange and they have to be always combined with subwoofer, to give the full range.

Maybe you were thinking about magnetostatic speakers? They are made to be projecting as big surfaces. Despite the fact, that Martin Logan is really expensive, they are not so expensive to be made in reality, but they also lack of lower bass.

Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2577701
10/10/16 10:24 PM
10/10/16 10:24 PM
M
Macy Offline
500 Post Club Member
Macy  Offline
500 Post Club Member
M

Originally Posted by kapelli

Maybe you were thinking about magnetostatic speakers? They are made to be projecting as big surfaces. Despite the fact, that Martin Logan is really expensive, they are not so expensive to be made in reality, but they also lack of lower bass.

Martin Logan speakers are electrostatics, not magnetostatics (Magnepan for instance), and have typically been hybrids with conventional cone speakers for frequencies below 200-300 Hz and certainly do not lack lower bass for music with nearly flat response to below 30 Hz. I use a full set of Martin Logan speakers for my home theater. I do use an 18-inch sub-woofer for low frequency effects, but don't use it for music except occasionally to augment the Martin Logan 12-inch woofers for special pipe organ recordings.

I've used electrostatics and magnetostatics for about 50 years, dating back to the Quads and Dayton Wright electrostatics and the full-range Magneplanar Tympani III-B and 1D. Full-range flat panel speakers do require bass augmentation with a sub-woofer.

Macy

CVP-409GP, Garritan CFX, Vintage D, Ivory II GP's & American Concert D, Pianoteq, True Keys American D, Ravenscroft 275, Garritan Authorized Steinway, Alicia's Keys, EWQL Pianos, MainStage, iPad Pro/forScore/PageFlip Cicada, Custom Mac MIDI/Audio Software Design, Macs Everywhere
Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2578170
10/12/16 12:21 PM
10/12/16 12:21 PM
Virginia, USA
K
Kbeaumont Offline
500 Post Club Member
Kbeaumont  Offline
500 Post Club Member
K

Virginia, USA
I use to have a set of Infinity Kappa speakers they had ribbon tweeters, a mid range dome speaker, a lower mid speaker and woofer with a 10 inch passive radiator. Those speakers sounded great, some of the best if not the best I have ever owned. And I have had a lot of different audiophile speakers over the years between 1980 through 2005. I have owned nearly every single 'latest and greatest' speaker touted in the magazines. I always thought for me in my house at the time these sounded better than anything I tried. Unfortunately they had one big drawback. Their impedance, advertised as 6 ohms where very frequency dependent and could drop to under 2 ohms at certain frequencies. And they could absorb quite a bit of power without distorting. The consequence of this was it would eat amplifiers like Joey Chestnut and Mike Stoney at a Hot dog eating event every time you cranked the volume. I sold them after a neighbor at a party one night cranked the volume knob on my stereo all the way up and blew a $2000 400 watt power amp! Fried that sucker in less than 5 seconds! I had a couple of people who have owned them report the same thing.

A long long time ago, I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile....
Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: Paolo70] #2578175
10/12/16 12:34 PM
10/12/16 12:34 PM
Northern England.
peterws Offline
7000 Post Club Member
peterws  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Northern England.
Originally Posted by Paolo70
Hi Peter,

For what it's worth, I just finished a little audio improvement project for my (rather seasoned) digital piano which goes pretty much in the direction you suggest. In practice, I replaced my piano's original MDF backboard with an identically shaped 6mm plywood panel and glued a couple of 10W exciters on its back side. I then connected the exciters in parallel to the original speaker boxes.

The overall sound quality isn't very different from the original, but I find the spatial projection to have improved a lot with the additional soundboard. For your information, my original plan was to replace the original speakers with the soundboard altogether, but for various reasons I wasn't able to achieve a sufficiently balanced frequency response with it, so I went for the soundboard + speakers combination.

For the electronic geeks yes, I know I have halved the impedance seen at the amplifier outputs, so I'm a bit more cautious with the volume slider now wink ). In case anybody is interested, I can post a picture of the finished work.

Ciao,
Paolo

I`m very interested. You seem to be at the stage of development that Kawai has achieved; plywood should be a good initial choice. You could experiment by bracing. I gotta have a go at this
Be interesting to see further developments . . . the mind boggles!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2578251
10/12/16 05:29 PM
10/12/16 05:29 PM
Poland
K
kapelli Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
kapelli  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
K

Poland
Nice discussion smile
However, my thread was inspired by mu current Purchasing dilemma: to buy Roland LX-7 and use it as it is.... or... buy HP 603, and make a custom amplified system attached to it.

Another idea which came to my mind, is to buy hp603 plus a set of soundbar with subwoofer and place the soundbar on the piano. Of course one that costs 500$-700$. This is kind of ready solution and still 500$ cheaper than lx-7.

Any thoughts....?
I am inclining myself to the sound bar solution lately...

Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2578266
10/12/16 06:20 PM
10/12/16 06:20 PM
ElmerJFudd Offline
1000 Post Club Member
ElmerJFudd  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Yamaha YAS or YSP
Some come with the sub included.
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...-sound-projector/#page=1&mode=paging

How they'll sound with your choice in DP in your living space...

Who knows?

But on the other hand, the 603 come with two 12 cm (4-3/4 inches) speakers and two 30 watt amplifiers. So, can't hurt.

Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: peterws] #2578326
10/13/16 03:14 AM
10/13/16 03:14 AM
Italy
P
Paolo70 Offline
Paolo70  Offline
P

Italy
Originally Posted by peterws
I`m very interested. You seem to be at the stage of development that Kawai has achieved; plywood should be a good initial choice. You could experiment by bracing. I gotta have a go at this
Be interesting to see further developments . . . the mind boggles!

Ah ah, my little plywood panel doesn't even come near to the level of refinement of Kawai's soundboard speaker system! From what I could guess from the available pictures, their braced spruce soundboard has a specially designed enclosure, which directs part of the panel's back wave towards the top of the instrument. Their single actuator is much more powerful than both of my puny exciters. A different class! thumb

Yamaha CLP-970
Roland JV-1080
Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: ElmerJFudd] #2578374
10/13/16 09:45 AM
10/13/16 09:45 AM
T
Tim P Offline
Tim P  Offline
T

Originally Posted by ElmerJFudd
Originally Posted by Tim P

Something I've been wondering about for quite a while,

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2369191/Ribbon_speakers_for_digital_pi.html

Interesting thread, thanks. But as an aside I had forgotten that Magnepan has speakers in that price range. It has been a couple decades since I've heard anything reproduced by that company's speakers, but they left a lasting impression. So now if I return to shopping for a new place to live, I'll likely be evaluating if it has room for Maggies. Argh.

Re: Best digital piano integrated sound system - an idea [Re: kapelli] #2578610
10/14/16 12:00 PM
10/14/16 12:00 PM
So Cal
O
Oasismfg Offline
Oasismfg  Offline
O

So Cal
Here's my version: MP11 cabinet project

Moderated by  Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Concerto Grand Ranking
by achoo42. 06/24/19 08:27 PM
Bought Kawai ca98
by dtrvno. 06/24/19 08:24 PM
Piano Technicians, Piano Dealers (Bosendorfer)
by Kurtmen. 06/24/19 07:18 PM
Down with the Music Rest
by ee375. 06/24/19 05:48 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,690
Posts2,841,673
Members93,708
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission