2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
66 members (CyberGene, cozmopak, Calavera, AQJpiano, chopinoholic, D959, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 610 guests, and 432 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Yamaha C3 w/ WNG Carbon-Fiber Shanks & Abel Natural Hammers
gnuboi #2578205 10/12/16 12:52 PM
OP Offline
Thank you gnuboi!

I agree... I didn't realize that the C3's metallic sound was so prominent until I made that recording last July of 2015. It may have been part of the inspiration for me to 'informally' start looking at semi-concert grands soon thereafter and ultimately end up in Haverhill, MA for the factory tour and selection of my BB. After getting the BB, the comparison was so pronounced that I never practiced on the C3, after 35 years of reliable service. So I knew had to do something. And I am very pleased with how much warmer we were able to make the sound. Although it is not the BB, I am enjoying playing it once again and understand why I purchased it back in high school after winning my first competition (vs. a car). It was my first grand piano and has served me very well for many years.

Corvus,
As you can see from above C3 recording was actually made in July 2015. Both instruments were tuned last January. Since I hadn't played it, and C3 has a Dampp-Chaser in addition to controlling room humidity, tuning hadn't drifted too much, so we did the WNG installation and initial voicing the way it was; plan is to tune it again after change in New England seasons and heat comes on. Can also due some tone regulation and final voicing at that time... True work in progress!

BB needed to be tuned again due to all my practicing and only controlling room humidity. We are about to install a double tank Dampp-Chaser prior to this winter. Tuning and treble string massaging to remove false beats is also a necessary element before final voicing and this was done on the BB, but not yet on C3. C3 recordings are 1 year apart, recordings on BB are 2 weeks apart.

Thanks to both of you for your interest and kind comments!

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Corvus #2578221 10/12/16 02:04 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Corvus
That is certainly a great improvement in your C3. You weren't joking about the metallic sound. The "before" recording almost sounds like there's a Tanpura (the drone instrument that accompanies a sitar) playing in the background!

I'm not familiar with the Tanpura. To me it sounded like somebody was doubling your melody line on steel triangles.

The change is impressive. I hope I can remember hearing this when my Knabe action reaches end of life. I should put a note somewhere: WNG & Abel....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
wolfgangmeister #2578305 10/12/16 11:22 PM
J
J
Jason,

Thanks for sharing the update on your C3 (and thanks for sharing your lovely recordings)!

As the proud owner of a new-to-me 1987 C3, it's especially useful to know that this particular rebuilding option exists and has proven successful.

Regards,
Kyle

wolfgangmeister #2578398 10/13/16 11:21 AM
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Wow! What differences - especially with the change to WNG.

wolfgangmeister #2578423 10/13/16 01:26 PM
L
L
Hi. The change is obvious.
The "ping" noise is yet present in the trebles... and (in my opinión) come from the front dúplex área.

wolfgangmeister #2578430 10/13/16 01:55 PM
D
D
Hi wolfgangmeister,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful performance! Even on the OEM C3 your music was still awesome, but there is no doubt that the new action/hammer made a huge difference especially in your C3. And your BB is absolutely stunning!

I have a similar experience as yours: we always knew our GB1 is quite glassy bright, but we managed to practice/play on it for years as it was the only financial/space-feasible option. After we got our model A, the difference has been so huge that we barely touch the GB1. Sometimes when we play two-piano passages, the combination was how I described in another thread, that the GB1's bright attack sound would surface above for a fraction of a second, then is completely drowned by the A's sustain, not dissimilar to a drowning person (sorry for the macabre metaphor.)

Have you gotten a chance to play both of your pianos together and see how they work?

1969 Hamburg Steinway B, rebuilt by PianoCraft in 2017
2013 New York Steinway A
Kawai MP11

Previously: 2005 Yamaha GB1, 1992 Yamaha C5
wolfgangmeister #2578468 10/13/16 05:32 PM
OP Offline
Thank you so much JazzyJamMan (Kyle), JohnSprung, Goof, Lluiscl and Davdoc, for your kind compliments on my performance, the improvements to my 1980 Yamaha C3 with WNG / Abel Natural (which are not done yet), your similar experiences / insight and kind comments regarding my recordings! Although I have not done any two piano work since the WNG renovation and BB final voicing, I actually have plans to do this with a very good pianist friend of mine in near future. I do know what you mean though Davdoc, had similar experience before WNG with two piano work; C3 would shrill though initially but BB has was more sustain power over time. Already can tell that this change will mitigate this problem to a large degree. I'll give an update when we get to try this.

Got so many positive comments on the Mason & Hamlin BB, that just wanted to place a link to a pretty detailed photo summary thread I also put together recently regarding the step-by-step process that is performed when a piano goes through tone regulation, tuning and final voicing. The Chief Voicing Technician for Mason & Hamlin that installed my C3 WNG renovation, also performed the all-day final voicing work on my BB. I think you will find it very interesting!

Mason & Hamlin BB: Tone Regulation & Concert Voicing

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
(ad) SWEETWATER Cyber Sale
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Casiogp400 + vst + USB + Audio cable = buzz
by Eli26 - 11/29/20 01:33 PM
VST with Kawai CA79..how to get audio on speakers?
by LGabrielPhoto - 11/29/20 12:17 PM
Getting Back Into Piano
by JustTheQuant - 11/29/20 12:11 PM
Hi All, new player here, with a question
by MikeM70 - 11/29/20 10:40 AM
Touchweight Measurements
by cozmopak - 11/29/20 10:07 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,132
Posts3,028,529
Members99,420
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission