2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, dannylux, dima5222, Beowulf, brendon, Hannu T, CyberGene, FrankCox, 8 invisible), 338 guests, and 460 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yamaha C3 w/ WNG Carbon-Fiber Shanks & Abel Natural Hammers
#2577302 10/09/16 07:08 AM
OP Offline
As many of you know, I am the proud owner of both a new Mason & Hamlin 7' BB and a sentimental owner of a 1980 Yamaha 6'1" C3 that is in excellent physical condition.

My 'New' Old Yamaha C3 w/ WNG Carbon-Fiber Shanks & Abel Natural Hammers
[Linked Image]

I've been working with a very skilled concert technician, Boaz Kirschenbaum, whose expertise is in tone regulation and voicing, in fact, he is the new Chief Voicer at M&H. He has spent the last two days working on both my older Yamaha C3 and new Mason & Hamlin BB, and I can tell you, I now have two beautiful sounding instruments that exhibit both beautiful tone and color!

Boaz Kirschenbaum performing Yamaha C3 tone regulation, final voicing, addressing excessive friction & lubricating dampers:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

One would expect that a new 7' Mason & Hamlin BB could achieve excellence, and so it is, a true joy to play! But the surprise of the weekend is my older 6'1" Yamaha C3. Wow, what a difference!

My 'New' Old Yamaha C3 w/ WNG Carbon-Fiber Shanks & Abel Natural Hammers:
[Linked Image]

Now Boaz had previously determined that my C3 soundboard still exhibited good crown and sustain, and the bridge, when measured, produced good down bearing force and the strings still rang true. The OEM wood wippens, repetitions and back checks were all in good shape. Unfortunately, after 36 years, my C3 hammers (which were hard to begin with) had literally become rocks and the knuckles were pretty worn. No amount of hammer needling would bring them back again, and just replacing hammer heads or trying to manually replace the knuckles would have been labor intensive, be equally expensive and most likely have a less successful result.

36 Year-Old 'Rock-Hard' Yamaha C3 OEM Hammers:
[Linked Image]

For around $6K, a skilled tech can replace, tone-regulate and concert voice the original 88 shanks, flanges, knuckles with an advanced carbon-fiber / composite Wessell, Nickel, Gross (WNG) action and use softer hammers - such as Abel Natural (or on vintage Golden-Age instruments Ronsen cold-pressed) Hammers. Upon completion of the work, you would have an excellent renewed piano, with good bones, great hardware, lyrical sound (not too harsh), that outplays any mid-teens (or mid-twenties) $$$ piano out there.

New Updated Yamaha C3 w/ WNG action (original wipes, repetitions, back-checks) & Abel Natural Hammers:
[Linked Image]

I'm very pleased that we were able to transform my old C3 into something much better. BTW the new WNG action hardware we used is what comes standard on all M&H's and is an even more advanced design that what is used on the current CX or even the CF series Yamaha's... so it's now more like a better version of a late 80's era Yamaha S3! I'm getting a kick out of it too, since it is actually the inverse of Kawai's Millennium III action. The dependable OEM Yamaha action, enhanced by the benefits of WNG! Definitely have better consistency and more control over tone and color.

I am in the process of compiling pictures and recording sound for both pianos over the next few weeks. Here's a quick link to the PianoWorld Photo Gallery that shows some pictures of the new updated Yamaha C3 with WNG action (original wipes, repetitions & back-checks) & Abel Natural Hammers, sample rock-hard OEM hammers, RPT addressing excessive friction, lubricating the dampers & doing final tone regulation and voicing.

Yamaha C3 w/ WNG Carbon Fiber Shanks & Abel Natural Hammers

Jason Solomonides
Mason & Hamlin 7' BB 93623
Yamaha 6'1" C3 (w/WNG) D3010008
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
Re: Yamaha C3 w/ WNG Carbon-Fiber Shanks & Abel Natural Hammers
wolfgangmeister #2577365 10/09/16 12:24 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Glad you are so happy with Boaz's work. I am a great fan of the W,N&G hammer shank/flange. They are so even and consistent that they have made wood hammer shanks obsolete technology.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
wolfgangmeister #2577369 10/09/16 12:56 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Any sound clips of the C3? I'm very curious as I would probably need to get my hammers/shanks/etc replaced on my C3 in the future as they're being worn quite a lot these days.

I really prefer a much softer/warmer sound than Yamaha's original hammers, and have had mine needled extensively. Your new hammers sound like something I might be interested in so I'm very curious about the sound after the replacement.

Yamaha C3, Yamaha Avant Grand N1 (sold), Steingraeber 170 (family's)
Michiyo-Fir #2577472 10/09/16 09:57 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
I have replaced Yamaha hammers on many different grand models. On all of them I used a Ronsen hammer that was significantly lighter and softer than the Yamaha originals. The improvement in warmth, pianissimo control, dynamic range, playing ease and repetition, and durability is significant.

However, there is still a slight element of metallic tone signature to the two top treble sections of strings that is due to the hard metal Yamaha plates are made from. Some Steinway's and other makes can have hard treble string terminations that cause the same problem.

This also leads to less durable strings and even affects the smoothness of which it tunes.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Ed McMorrow, RPT #2577534 10/10/16 07:43 AM
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
I have replaced Yamaha hammers on many different grand models. On all of them I used a Ronsen hammer that was significantly lighter and softer than the Yamaha originals. The improvement in warmth, pianissimo control, dynamic range, playing ease and repetition, and durability is significant.

However, there is still a slight element of metallic tone signature to the two top treble sections of strings that is due to the hard metal Yamaha plates are made from. Some Steinway's and other makes can have hard treble string terminations that cause the same problem.

This also leads to less durable strings and even affects the smoothness of which it tunes.

Ed,

Just out of curiosity, have you ever modified a too-hard plate by grinding off the tip of the capo bar and then having a welder put on a bead of brass, which could then be shaped according to your practice?

wolfgangmeister #2577537 10/10/16 07:53 AM
OP Offline
Ed - Thanks! Boaz is a fantastic tech; knowledgeable, personable, quite down to earth and pretty funny. After enjoying the benefits of the WNG hammer shank / flange / knuckle (with 'highly needled' Abel Select hammers) for the past year on my new M&H BB, for me there was no question this was the way to go for the renovation of my older Yamaha C3, which after 36 years exhibited a very metallic and glassy tone signature not suited for Classical Music. The two questions were: 1) How much to invest to overcome the majority of this (i.e. the 80%/20% rule) and 2) What type of hammers to use?

Relative to 1) 80% of the benefit for a moderate investment - the answer was simple; change over to the WNG hammer shank / flange / knuckle due to it's consistency benefits (and integrated knuckle) and not get into modifications to either the capo d'astro, restringing, or lightening the damper system.
Relative to 2) What type of hammers to use? We actually hung a number of sample hammers, from Renner Blue Points (way too hard!) to Cold-Pressed Ronsen (very soft and subtle - would need to be lacquered up to achieve more presence on the C3) to Abel Natural (which seemed to be a good tonal starting point for the C3 from the sample hanging we did). We chose the latter for the C3 based on that sample hanging; new M&H's will be using this too. (P.S. I am also a big fan of the Ronsen hammers having seen them used on good older Steinway restorations and even on a beautiful new M&H CC-94) .

Michiyo-Fir - I'd be happy to! I've enjoyed listening and reading to some of your prior posts and thought about you and your C3. I'll try to post a before and after recording as soon as I can; which is sometimes hard for me with twin 4 1/2 year old daughters running around wink

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7aJcfJZZvg&list=PLkP65I5BsNirTcv-nAHm4BXXsCbB_EbAJ
Mason & Hamlin Artist
wolfgangmeister #2577551 10/10/16 09:48 AM
E
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
E
Just curious, did your tech reweigh the keyboard after installing the new hammers / shanks & flanges?

Roy123 #2577564 10/10/16 10:54 AM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
Roy123,
Interesting solution I hadn't considered. Thanks! I have a Baldwin SF-7 awaiting replacement of the bolt-in, sintered metal, treble string terminators. I have not made a decision on how to proceed.

If I do have to repair one of the hard-capo Steinway's or someone wants to sink lots of money into a Yamaha grand my thinking was to install upside down agraffes with the tops cut off to leave open string holes ala Chickering.

I do find it absurd that even today almost all piano manufacturers do not understand how the string termination points should be configured. I have been trying to get PTG to publish a list of specifications for standard piano design features that a purchaser of a piano could hand to a salesperson and say, "I will not buy any piano that is not guaranteed to meet these specification".

I think this is the only way to get the manufacturers attention. They don't listen to me alone.

Ed McMorrow, RPT #2577576 10/10/16 11:28 AM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
And well they should not.

Semipro Tech
Ed A. Hall #2577655 10/10/16 04:21 PM
OP Offline
Hi Ed,

I know for a fact that Boaz did. As part of his initial assessment last month, he took quite a few critical geometric measurements of how the Yamaha C3 OEM action was installed and how hammers lined up with the strings, and then removed the entire action to bring it back to the workshop. As a both a Licensed Stanwood Precision Touch Installer and a Wessell, Nickel & Gross Composite Action Installer, calculating the correct geometry and validating correct hammer weight are all part of his process. When changing from an OEM setup one needs to ensure that the replacement parts are optimized for that particular piano. The result on my piano is a very even, consistent and balanced action - with much better tonal control than before. Boaz mentioned to me that as part of his hammer replacement projects he calibrates the hammer weight to a tolerance of 0.2 gram. A link to his updated website confirms this:

Piano Voicing and Tone Regulation - Boaz Kirschenbaum, RPT

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
Mason & Hamlin Artist
BDB #2577682 10/10/16 07:32 PM
E
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
E
BDB, your comment is so cryptic that the meaning is not clear.

So what method(s) do you employ to guarantee to a customer that you can remove the string buzzes in the capo permanently? Are you even capable of determining the source of the problem?

wolfgangmeister #2577688 10/10/16 08:06 PM
Thanks for sharing, and wish you great moments playing both beauties!!

Piano.Brazil
1987 Baldwin SD10, 2013 Mason&Hamlin BB, 2007 Euterpe/Bechstein 160, 1924 Hoepfner Upright
wolfgangmeister #2577713 10/10/16 09:54 PM
OP Offline
Thank you Piano_Brazil! It was fun to watch, learn, discuss and document the steps of a skilled artist & technician - achieving vast improvements to piano tone and color; for both the C3 which had lost it's voice and rediscovered it, to the BB which is now heaven to play! And now they are somewhat related with common carbon fiber/composite WNG hardware: from their flanges, via their knuckles, through their shafts, to their Abel hammers!

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
Mason & Hamlin Artist
wolfgangmeister #2577766 10/11/16 06:30 AM
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by wolfgangmeister
Ed - Thanks! Boaz is a fantastic tech; knowledgeable, personable, quite down to earth and pretty funny. After enjoying the benefits of the WNG hammer shank / flange / knuckle (with 'highly needled' Abel Select hammers) for the past year on my new M&H BB, for me there was no question this was the way to go for the renovation of my older Yamaha C3, which after 36 years exhibited a very metallic and glassy tone signature not suited for Classical Music. The two questions were: 1) How much to invest to overcome the majority of this (i.e. the 80%/20% rule) and 2) What type of hammers to use?

Relative to 1) 80% of the benefit for a moderate investment - the answer was simple; change over to the WNG hammer shank / flange / knuckle due to it's consistency benefits (and integrated knuckle) and not get into modifications to either the capo d'astro, restringing, or lightening the damper system.
Relative to 2) What type of hammers to use? We actually hung a number of sample hammers, from Renner Blue Points (way too hard!) to Cold-Pressed Ronsen (very soft and subtle - would need to be lacquered up to achieve more presence on the C3) to Abel Natural (which seemed to be a good tonal starting point for the C3 from the sample hanging we did). We chose the latter for the C3 based on that sample hanging; new M&H's will be using this too. (P.S. I am also a big fan of the Ronsen hammers having seen them used on good older Steinway restorations and even on a beautiful new M&H CC-94) .

Michiyo-Fir - I'd be happy to! I've enjoyed listening and reading to some of your prior posts and thought about you and your C3. I'll try to post a before and after recording as soon as I can; which is sometimes hard for me with twin 4 1/2 year old daughters running around wink

Jusing wondering--did your tests of the Ronsen hammers include testing the Wurzen-felt and Weikert-felt hammers?

Roy123 #2577792 10/11/16 08:31 AM
OP Offline
Sorry, I'm not sure. I would have to ask Boaz. They were similar to the ones used on a new Satin Ebony & Rosewood Mason & Hamlin CC-94 that had been fitted with them at the factory as an evaluation - with excellent results. We went with the Abel Naturals because out of the box they seemed to best match where we needed to go with the Yamaha C3, while limiting the amount of needling or lacquering required - in other words they were a good baseline.

In the meantime, I'm sure there are other expert techs in the PianoWorld community who could comment on the successes they've had with either on older NY Steinway and M&H restorations. From my limited experience Ronsen hammers produce a classic wonderful tone on instruments with the traditional American scale design and sound.

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
Mason & Hamlin Artist
wolfgangmeister #2577979 10/11/16 08:28 PM
OP Offline

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
Mason & Hamlin Artist
wolfgangmeister #2577992 10/11/16 09:23 PM
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Wow, thanks a lot for the recordings! The new hammers really bring a nice mellow warmth to the piano, although I do agree the metallic ping is still there. However, compared to the before video it sounds much much better! The strange super metallic tone is my biggest complaint with Yamahas, especially the medium to small sized ones.

I will keep what you have done to yours in mind. My C3 is not quite that old, currently 18 years old and has been needled beyond belief so that it actually sounds very dark and mellow (although it is brightening up), I asked my tech repeatedly to reduce the metallic tint of the sound, which is somewhat successful and so far it has kept alrigh. I have the original hammers, and it actually sounds even more mellow than yours right now, so I'm happy with it. Hopefully I can get another 10 years out of it before I need new hammers as my hammers have been filed and worked on so much, they probably won't be very good to work on a lot more in the future.

Don't mean to hijack your thread, but here's a sound clip if anyone is curious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSDkCaNyrtQ

Yamaha C3, Yamaha Avant Grand N1 (sold), Steingraeber 170 (family's)
wolfgangmeister #2578022 10/11/16 11:43 PM
OP Offline
Hello Michiyo-Fir!

Thank you for listening and commenting! You are quite right, quite a big improvement in warmth, but still a hint of the metallic ring that was there before. I'm happy because the mellow hammers allow me to at least produce a lyrical line and softer sound again, without having to keep my soft pedal down all the time like before! I wanted to have it playable for two-piano works, accompaniment, testing my new pieces out on two different pianos, etc. At some point I know new strings might be in order too as it is approaching 37 years old, but we'll see. We're not done, just nice to pause and see how far we've come.

You play beautifully and lyrically. I very much enjoyed hearing your performance of Tchaikovsky's Seasons - October on your "younger" sibling C3... I like it's mellow tone... gives me a lyrical ideal for what might be achieved on my C3 in time.

Thanks again!

Jason Solomonides
My Piano Recordings:
Mason & Hamlin Artist
wolfgangmeister #2578180 10/12/16 11:48 AM
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
What a wonderful difference! I don't think anyone would have guessed that it was a C3. Thank you for sharing. The BB sounds heavenly too.

wolfgangmeister #2578195 10/12/16 12:30 PM
C
C
That is certainly a great improvement in your C3. You weren't joking about the metallic sound. The "before" recording almost sounds like there's a Tanpura (the drone instrument that accompanies a sitar) playing in the background!

Did you also have the piano tuned in between the recordings?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Bl├╝thner Sighting
by Retsacnal - 11/25/20 11:44 PM
HELP with VST
by Eli26 - 11/25/20 09:14 PM
Weinbach Grand--What the what?!
by jmiley97302 - 11/25/20 07:17 PM
Using the same music in two different pieces
by pianoloverus - 11/25/20 07:04 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics203,048
Posts3,027,200
Members99,372
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission