2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
30 members (Charles Cohen, CosminX, akc42, Brayden Jensen, AZNpiano, dima5222, camperbc, 8 invisible), 308 guests, and 388 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Stumped on what to do next
#2575677 10/02/16 09:39 PM
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I am stuck on what I should do next with one of my students.

This is a transfer who came to me last year, having "completed" most of piano adventures 2B. We finished that up, and did just a few pieces out of RCM Prep B, as I wanted to get his reading up (previous teacher didn't focus on reading). Because of attention issues, getting through enough during a 30-minute lesson was difficult. Thus, progress was slow. Progress was also slow because he didn't do his sight reading assignments.

This year I switched to Daniel McFarlane's Blast Off for sight reading. I tried to get him to read a couple measures out of Boris Berlin's "Marching Trumpets" but he complained it was too hard, and I believe him.

We've run out of easier pieces in Prep B. I'm considering going back to Piano Adventures 3A just for a little more structure.

The other issue is Mom has requested that we switch back to 30-minute lessons so that I can go back to their house instead of them coming to my studio. I've switched to 45 minute lessons this year, which I feel are much more successful. I don't feel pressured to get things done quickly, he gets more to work on during the week, and gets stuff to work on if there is an issue with comprehension of something. Despite the attention difficulties, he wasn't ever less focused at the end of the lesson that at the beginning.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Stumped on what to do next
Arghhh #2575735 10/03/16 04:03 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member
Why don't you switch to a different set of method books, one with a much slower pace?

And then supplement with lots of engaging music at this level. The 2B/3A split is always tricky. That's when kids' performance gap widens. You can always supplement, supplement, supplement--but at some point it just feels like we're going around in circles.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Arghhh #2575933 10/03/16 08:30 PM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
If I'm understanding the last part of your post correctly, the mom wants to go back to 30-minute lessons so you can drive to their house? Is that even an option? I thought you switched to 45 minute lessons and you weren't driving to people's homes? In which case, the answer is "No, that's not an option." And the point out all of the benefits you see specifically from their child moving to 45 minute lessons in your studio.

Regarding what to do, AZN has good advice: use a different method book that better suits their needs. You can check in Alfred (I haven't used these at all) or Hal Leonard, which I believe goes at a slower pace. And lots of supplements - especially ones that are in styles they like.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Arghhh #2575963 10/03/16 11:00 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Could you just play review pieces for a while? Taking known pieces and making them better? I like review pieces with every student for different reasons. For the "new pieces are too hard" student, it helps build musicianship while giving them the comfort of something they know. Then at some point eventually THEY get bored and ask for a new piece as well wink

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Arghhh #2575974 10/03/16 11:42 PM
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
They had a choice at the beginning of the year to either have me come to them or them come to me. My returning students still also had the choice for 30 minutes. I've found keeping different rules for new vs existing students can create conflict.

I don't know if Piano Adventures was a bad fit. It's just that the previous teacher didn't teach the concepts. He enjoyed playing around with chords in the book and playing songs like "Pumpkin Boogie". . Getting him to play with better technique/polish pieces is hit or miss. I feel bad assigning the same rep for weeks on end too.
I put his older sister in Hal Leonard adult.

He has s great ear, and used to figure out how to play his older sisters' music.

As for supplementing, I don't have a good set of "go to" pieces. I don't like the idea of buying individual sheets.

Arghhh #2575994 10/04/16 03:22 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Arghhh
He has s great ear, and used to figure out how to play his older sisters' music.

That is a double-edged sword. Of course it is a blessing to have a great sense of hearing (you can't fix tone deaf!), but somewhere in the learning process a good ear can be a hindrance--and sometimes it could camouflage other areas of weakness!!

As for supplementing, I don't have a good set of "go to" pieces. I don't like the idea of buying individual sheets.

[facepalm]

Arghhh #2575996 10/04/16 03:56 AM
B
B
If only there were a book of beginner's repertoire that is both easy enough to use with new beginners, yet sophisticated enough to use as revisionary material...

*cough* check my signature *cough*

Arghhh #2576109 10/04/16 03:57 PM
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, I got a facepalm! Not sure why though confused

Ben, I was all set to give him Magic Beans) because I really liked complexity and sound of the pieces relative to his level. It got a lukewarm reception when I presented a few of them to him. Maybe it was the way i presented it or maybe lukewarm is the best I can expect.

Arghhh #2576145 10/04/16 07:35 PM
B
B
Hey - thanks for trying anyway smile Is it possible that they look too complicated to him? The thing is with those pieces, is that several of them are really intended to be taught by rote, as they are much easier to play than they look.

Ben Crosland #2576149 10/04/16 08:00 PM
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ben Crosland
Hey - thanks for trying anyway smile Is it possible that they look too complicated to him? The thing is with those pieces, is that several of them are really intended to be taught by rote, as they are much easier to play than they look.

I hadn't thought about that. It's definitely possible. They really are great little compositions. I have a few copies of them, and I'm sure I'll use them soon.

Arghhh #2576210 10/05/16 01:48 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member

I was reacting to your assertion that you don't have a set of go-to pieces for supplementary material. That should be in every teacher's arsenal.

But, then, perhaps your student in question won't find anything interesting.

AZNpiano #2576256 10/05/16 08:13 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Why don't you switch to a different set of method books, one with a much slower pace?

And then supplement with lots of engaging music at this level. The 2B/3A split is always tricky. That's when kids' performance gap widens.

You can add adults to that list. For my wife and I, getting into 3A and playing well was the hardest thing either of us have had to do.

Our teacher spent extra time helping us with the transition, thank goodness.

Yamaha C2X | Yamaha M500-F
Groucho Marx: "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others."
Curriculum: Faber Developing Artist (Book 3)
Current: German Dance in D Major (Haydn) (OF); Melody (Schumann) (OF)
Arghhh #2576284 10/05/16 10:11 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
FWIW- A few pieces that were successful for my son after Faber 2B were Peter in the Wolf from Faber Fun Time Classics Level 3A-3B. He also enjoyed another supplemental book called "Teacher's Choice for the Young Pianist" by Alan Small. While some of the arrangements are strange in the book, he liked Greensleeves and Star Spangled Banner for example.

My son's teacher took him out of Faber for 1 year after level 2B (finished 2014-2015 school year) and brought him back this year in 3A (2016-2017 school year).

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 10/05/16 10:14 AM.

Yamaha G2
AZNpiano #2576303 10/05/16 10:58 AM
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J

Aren't there a lot of free materials that could work for this, from IMSLP or other sites? For instance, I don't know where these pieces fall in the levels of method books, but maybe something useful: http://classicalsheetmusicgratis.org/wp-content/uploads/KABALEVSKY-24-Pieces-for-Children.pdf

1989 Baldwin R
AZNpiano #2576740 10/06/16 10:11 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

I was reacting to your assertion that you don't have a set of go-to pieces for supplementary material. That should be in every teacher's arsenal.

But, then, perhaps your student in question won't find anything interesting.

AZN, would you be willing to divulge your go-to supplementary material?
I am building my go-to supplementary material based off of my own music collection, but my elementary level pieces include things with titles such as Circus Parade and Marching Band. .. Meh.

~piano teacher in training~
hello my name is #2576780 10/07/16 02:47 AM
8000 Post Club Member
Online Happy
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by hello my name is
AZN, would you be willing to divulge your go-to supplementary material?

That's a trade secret.

No, not really. The go-to composers list: Martha Mier, Melody Bober, Dennis Alexander, Kevin Olson, and Timothy Brown. They understand how to compose for students with limited talent and ability.

I can't get more specific than that, or else people will literally steal trade secrets. Ha ha ha.

Arghhh #2578710 10/14/16 05:07 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi there Hello my Name Is.

I am just an adult student, so the situation may be quite different from your student(s), but I thought this thread from a few years back might give you some ideas about non-method book pieces that some teachers assign in the early years.

Link to PW ABF thread

When you look at the lists of pieces in my posts keep in mind I requested some of these....mainly the old jazz standards taken from a book of Easy Piano arrangements by Dan Coates... plus all of the ones marked "*" were one week throw-aways...just get what you can out of it for a week then toss it aside and move on. Some of the throw-aways were assigned, others I picked out of books I had.

Looking back, my teacher was pretty smart in giving me enough of what I "thought" I wanted to whet my whistle, all the while building a decidedly classical training track. I could go on about this, but probably best if you just have a look.

Last edited by JimF; 10/14/16 05:12 PM.

Consolation No.2 E maj, F.Liszt
Nocturne C# minor, FChopin
Clair de Lune, C.Debussy

Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Arghhh #2580340 10/20/16 01:55 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Blast Off is a series of etudes, so I wouldn't think they would be motivating pieces for a student. You might explore the individual pieces or collections at www.supersonicspiano.com, which are very motivating and downright fun for students, especially the Castle Escape collection. I agree with folks who mention that the jump from PA 2B to 3A is a big one. Supplement music needed!

Last edited by Barb860; 10/20/16 01:56 PM.

Piano Teacher
Barb860 #2580469 10/21/16 01:23 AM
Arghhh Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Barb860
Blast Off is a series of etudes, so I wouldn't think they would be motivating pieces for a student. You might explore the individual pieces or collections at www.supersonicspiano.com, which are very motivating and downright fun for students, especially the Castle Escape collection. I agree with folks who mention that the jump from PA 2B to 3A is a big one. Supplement music needed!

Interesting that 2B to 3A is a large jump, because elsewhere I've read that Piano Adventures Accelerated 2 to 3A was a lot of review.

My student has been enjoying the Blast Off series. There are a lot of repeating patterns, it kind of sounds like real music (unlike the Sight Reading and Rhythm Every Day series), and because he is confident with it he puts in the effort to keep reading without giving up.

I will look into the other Supersonics music. I've already spent a ton of money this year on new books to teach from though. Would they be a big jump, reading-wise to the Blast Off series?

I've also just started him in level 2 of the new Alfred Premier all-in-one method. I love the idea of still getting theory and technique in without having to switch books. We'll have to wait to see if this level is too difficult.

Arghhh #2580501 10/21/16 07:34 AM
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Oh..one other thing my son's teacher did last year is she supplemented with a lot Christmas music. Between Nov and Dec she told me that she wanted him to learn as much Christmas music as possible and she took a break from the regular method books.

Last edited by pianoMom2006; 10/21/16 09:27 AM.

Yamaha G2
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Practicing triplets in rhythms
by zillybug - 04/09/20 10:06 PM
What keyboard is this
by Bruce In Philly - 04/09/20 07:00 PM
Biggest range of great sounds ?
by Edb123 - 04/09/20 04:40 PM
Mason and Hamlin “baby” grand - one key
by SeanMcD12 - 04/09/20 04:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics198,025
Posts2,943,608
Members96,550
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission