2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (David B, AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, dh371, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, 10 invisible), 1,199 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Davdoc #2576167 10/04/16 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by Davdoc
Originally Posted by OrgantoPiano

For me in purchasing my N2, I discovered that Julliard had purchased a number of N1s for their practice rooms and even our local college, Lynchburg College had done the same.

Very off-topic here, I'm curious about Juilliard getting a bunch of N1. I can imagine getting electronic instruments for their students' and faculty's technology-driven artistic endeavor but (myself not being a digital pro at all) I thought there are more capable/suitable equipment than N1. On the other hand, it's hard to fathom Juilliard would get N1s for pure pianistic practice. After all, they have the largest inventory of Steinway grands in the world, in addition to concert grands from other top tier makers.

The N1s are solid, capable instruments, more than adequate for a freshman in a piano study course. If you follow the anecdotes, they are reliable and accurate as heck and never require tuning. Fair warning: I'm a huge fan of the entire line, which brings something new to the table.

If you've played one, you'd understand smile

Life is too short to be playing bad music.

Practice: Bosie 200, Yam N3
Live: Nord Piano 4, Stage 3 Compact
Amps: QSC K.2s, RCF TT08-s, FA 12-ac, CPS SSv3
Support: STAY stands, X-Air mixers, Vent II, etc
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The other thread that I posted on the same day, "Possible Pianistic Monkey Business", was an example of "hard hijacking". Many of the exchanges, in addition to going off-topic, became quite vicious. The moderator was justified in shutting it down.

This thread, on the other hand, is an example of "soft hijacking". The exchanges have been polite - thank you very much - but many of them have been off-topic.

Can you please get back to the original topic. Please let me restate the original quote from the current issue of the "Piano Buyer" article:

Here is another interesting statement by Christian Blüthner from that same "Piano Buyer" article:

Given what he says have been the broken promises of previous Chinese investors to preserve the integrity of German subsidiaries, Blüthner is skeptical of the assurances made to Schimmel and Grotrian-Steinweg: "No Chinese company buys a German company to keep losing money. They buy a brand and its associated image to produce the product at lower cost, with lower-quality materials and often without the expensive German labor. If Pearl River decides to build a ‘Josef Schimmel' piano in China, they won't ask Braunschweig, they'll just do it. They'll sell it as a one-off ‘special edition,' but that is where the brand dilution begins."

The questions I want answered are
1) Who were these "previous Chinese investors",
2) what were these "broken promises", and
3) to whom did they give these promises?

Last edited by Almaviva; 10/04/16 10:58 PM.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Almaviva

Larry Fine already said this:

Originally Posted by Larry Fine
He wasn't referring to the piano business specifically in that statement. He was referring in general to promises made to German companies by foreign investors over the years.

In light of that, you're not likely to find the answers you seek here. Maybe in an international business forum, or a German business forum. I'd be glad to be wrong though, because they are interesting topics.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Almaviva
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Given what he says have been the broken promises of previous Chinese investors to preserve the integrity of German subsidiaries, Blüthner is skeptical of the assurances made to Schimmel and Grotrian-Steinweg: "No Chinese company buys a German company to keep losing money. They buy a brand and its associated image to produce the product at lower cost, with lower-quality materials and often without the expensive German labor. If Pearl River decides to build a ‘Josef Schimmel' piano in China, they won't ask Braunschweig, they'll just do it. They'll sell it as a one-off ‘special edition,' but that is where the brand dilution begins."

Almaviva, I was on the other thread, and I promise to not hijack this one.

It seems to me that Mr. Blüthner's quote above frames the desire of the Chinese firm as sort of binary choice - either they lose money, or they dilute the product with lower cost materials and labor. This, of course, could happen, but why would it be in the interest of the Chinese investor to be so short sighted? I think we frankly don't give their business acumen enough credit. What I've seen of Chinese manufacturing is that it's all over the map in terms of quality and quality goals, but they do build some wonderful stuff if the priority is there.

Dismissal of competitors through offering a binary doom and gloom Catch 22 choice is typical sales speak and seems to have obvious motivation. I'm not really blaming Blüthner, it's just seems like the typical "We're better then them" sales speak. Self promotion - and up to the customer to see through it.

Hence the questions you raise, Almaviva.

Last edited by Beacon Chris; 10/04/16 11:46 PM.

Musician, Singer, Teacher, Humorist, Dad...

“I have an inferiority complex, but it’s not a very good one.”
― Steven Wright
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just to add, I went back and reread the entire article and I couldn't help but think it sounded more like Mr. Blüthner was having a Clint Eastwood "Get off my lawn" moment. No problem - change is tough. The piano biz is tough. Who knows if any of these folks will make it - i'll cross my fingers for them!

― Steven Wright
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Agent88
If you don't mind, what make and model hearing aids did you buy after you returned these? About how much did you spend? How do the new ones do with hearing conversations and enjoying and playing music? Thank you.

Hello, and welcome to Piano World!

I suppose I may be somewhat guilty of participating in the "soft-hijack" of this thread; and, if so, I do apologize.

With that said, to answer Agent88's (a new member) questions, the first set of hearing aids I tried were Widex Zen-To-Go with the built-in tinnitus therapy option. Basically, it sounded like hearing wind-chimes in the background of whatever else I was hearing. I could turn the tinnitus theory option off, but the hearing aids had a kind of metallic sound to them. I paid $4800 for them, and then returned them before the trial period was over.

Next, I tried the top-of-the-line Phonak V-90 hearing aids. They sounded much better than the Widex Zen to go aids, plus they have a white-noise tinnitus option that I can turn on or off. I purchased the Phonak V-90 hearing aids after trying them for a couple of months, which were $2500 each, $5000 for both. But I like them much better than the Widex.

As far as how the hearing aids sound when I hear music or play the piano, nothing can replicate the natural sound of our hearing. I think more programming would help tune the aids to sound better when I hear music, but like most things, it is a work in progress. The Phonak V-90 actually has a music program as part of the microprocessor that is supposed to change automatically when I hear music, or you can change programs manually.

Again, sorry for the soft-hijack, but I guess that is better than a hard-hijack. smile

Now back to our regularly scheduled "Broken Promises" program. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Rickster
Again, sorry for the soft-hijack, but I guess that is better than a hard-hijack. smile

Now back to our regularly scheduled "Broken Promises" program. smile

Rick

LOL. I forgive you Rick. My mother is having trouble with her hearing aids, so your last post was helpful to me as well as Agent 88.

Thank you.

Last edited by Almaviva; 10/05/16 09:01 AM.
A
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Bronze Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Beacon Chris

It seems to me that Mr. Blüthner's quote above frames the desire of the Chinese firm as sort of binary choice - either they lose money, or they dilute the product with lower cost materials and labor. This, of course, could happen, but why would it be in the interest of the Chinese investor to be so short sighted? I think we frankly don't give their business acumen enough credit. What I've seen of Chinese manufacturing is that it's all over the map in terms of quality and quality goals, but they do build some wonderful stuff if the priority is there.

Dismissal of competitors through offering a binary doom and gloom Catch 22 choice is typical sales speak and seems to have obvious motivation. I'm not really blaming Blüthner, it's just seems like the typical "We're better then them" sales speak. Self promotion - and up to the customer to see through it.

Hence the questions you raise, Almaviva.

Very good point, BeaconChris.

Your comments remind me of similar "gloom and doom" comments made by Karl Schulze, the head of Bechstein, when Yamaha bought Bosendorfer in 2008. I paraphrase from the April 30, 2008 Chicago Tribune:

Yamaha had pledged to keep the company in Vienna and to maintain quality standards. They told the Bosendorfer staff that they were proud to be the owners of Bosendorfer, and they assured them that they didn't want to make any changes in the manufacturing process. The skeptical Herr Schulze said that "They will use Bosendorfer for its image; that's all".

Well, 8 years later, it appears that Bosendorfer is doing very well under its new owner.

Last edited by Almaviva; 10/05/16 09:35 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Indeed, Almaviva

Strong opinions at a German trade show??? grin

Yep, it was a similar sentiment coming from Schutze. Speculation typically involves multiple motives - many of which are in the mind of the one speculating. In any event, if the piano is good today, it matters little what happens to the company down the road. I have a beautiful Aeolian era Knabe with a great sound that I love (and I'm really picky) A great playing and sounding Grotrian, Bechstein, Blüthner, Bösendorfer, et. al., that you play and fall in love with today is a piano to buy. The rest is entertaining hubris (for the most part).

BC

Last edited by Beacon Chris; 10/05/16 10:33 AM.

― Steven Wright
A
A
I too apologize for the hijack. But I strongly suspect that when the hijacks end this thread will wither and die. It appears no one knows juicy details. Or, if they did, they're not talking. And why would they? There's a variety of reasons you would keep your mouth shut regarding naming names.

For example, If someone you've known on friendly terms for 30 years starts using some cheaper foreign parts, while still coming under your country's "majority of cost and value added rules so that they could still claim made in wherever under that country's laws, would you name names and potentially ruin their livelihood and your friendship? Or would you make a vague public statement that puts them on notice that someday they're bound to be found out so that they take corrective action themselves before reputations are ruined?

Or what if someone you trust with first hand information is whispering in your ear "I don't want to lose my job and would never repeat this publicly or provide physical evidence by acting as a corporate spy, but here's what's going on..." Would you keep your mouth shut entirely whilst a competitor is selling competing products in the same price tier and claiming the same country of origin -- but lowering their costs and increasing their margins by using cheaper foreign components without full disclosure?

Or would you risk your own livelihood and family's security by exposing yourself to litigation by naming names? Or decide, you're not going to risk everything for strangers but will, rather, hint consumers better pay attention?

I'm not convinced there are compelling reasons to name names. But can see there are reasons to open your mouth rather than stay entirely silent. Though I'm sure reasonable minds might disagree.

Now, back to the hijack, did you try any of the aids they sell at Costco? They seem a lot cheaper and tend to go up in price as the size goes down. My mother in law is in desperate need of hearing aids but is thus far refusing to cooperate. My father in law happens to suffer tinnitus terribly, but can hear fine. Since you mentioned it, do the what's noise generators help? Any background noises that are more soothing than others? Or do you not have tinnitus and the expensive aids just happen to have that feature?

Thank you very much.

I've been lurking here for quite a while but don't usually have anything to contribute so I don't post.

H
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
H
the ny times had a very good article explaining how difficult it is to assess and assist those afflicted with hearing loss, and how expensive some solutions are, which can be unsatisfactory. they reviewed a few lower cost solutions and found an application that uses a small microphone in conjunction with an iphone, because the latter technology is quite sophisticated as an audio device.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission