2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
44 members (ebonyk, DigitalMusicProduc, dhull100, Dfrankjazz, 36251, Harpuia, Del Vento, Hakki, ambrozy, FennerMachine, 8 invisible), 555 guests, and 427 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Based on your playing, you are certainly not new to playing the piano. smile

And, some folks like that honky-tonk sound. I have a YouTube music video with well over a million views playing an old up-right piano with that honky-tonk sound. I thought that was the absolute worst music video I ever recorded, even though I had a lot of fun messing around with that old upright piano.

It just goes to show that you never know what the world-wide YouTube audience will like, or not.

I think what appeals to most people who watch my music video is seeing the fun, smiles, laughter, and happiness that I express/project while playing that old upright piano; which seems to make them smile too.

As Louis Armstrong used to sing, "when you're smiling, when you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you". smile

Enjoy your new-to-you freebee piano!!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear Piano Tipping:

One of the reception rooms at my church had what appears to be the identical instrument. I was consulted about its future. Over a one year period, the piano was tuned three times. It had VERY occasional use. Although the temperature and humidity were fairly constant, it could not hold a tuning. I might add that the tone and touch were terrible. The piano was a hog and, as a result, was given to the first person who expressed an interest in having it.

Sorry to be negative.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

P
OP Offline
P
Nice. Did you play it for the people you took it from?

Thanks. I did play a bit just to check it out. The lady that had it in her apartment was a renter and it wasn't hers. I think the landlord owned it, and neither of them played. She said when I was playing it that it reminded her of her grandfather. I'm not sure if that means she thought I was an old coot, or if I just played like him.

Last edited by Piano Tipping; 09/21/16 12:56 PM.
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Post another one after you tune it! I'd love to hear the difference (and it should be huge, because it's awfully out of tune at the moment smile )

Congrats on the new piano!

Thanks, will do.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Rickster
Based on your playing, you are certainly not new to playing the piano. smile

And, some folks like that honky-tonk sound. I have a YouTube music video with well over a million views playing an old up-right piano with that honky-tonk sound. I thought that was the absolute worst music video I ever recorded, even though I had a lot of fun messing around with that old upright piano.

It just goes to show that you never know what the world-wide YouTube audience will like, or not.

I think what appeals to most people who watch my music video is seeing the fun, smiles, laughter, and happiness that I express/project while playing that old upright piano; which seems to make them smile too.

As Louis Armstrong used to sing, "when you're smiling, when you're smiling, the whole world smiles with you". smile

Enjoy your new-to-you freebee piano!!

Rick

Thanks! I'm addicted to playing piano now. Wish I started years ago. I started with trombone in school, and guitar in my teens and twenties. I didn't get hooked on piano until the last couple of years.

I originally bought a digital piano about 10 years ago for my wife, and she never played it. I kinda took that one over. She is suddenly very interested in learning to play again on this new one so she may try to claim it as hers.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Dear Piano Tipping:

One of the reception rooms at my church had what appears to be the identical instrument. I was consulted about its future. Over a one year period, the piano was tuned three times. It had VERY occasional use. Although the temperature and humidity were fairly constant, it could not hold a tuning. I might add that the tone and touch were terrible. The piano was a hog and, as a result, was given to the first person who expressed an interest in having it.

Sorry to be negative.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

No problem, thanks for the feedback. I'm not expecting much with it. Because it was free I don't have anything invested. I'd like to try fixing some of the issues with it, and may use it to try to learn how to tune myself. It's more of a toy for me to mess with and a second piano. If it turns out to be like the one you described I might give it to someone else down the road and get another one. I still prefer my Roland RD-800 over this by a long margin, but there is something fun about playing this acoustic as well.

I have joked with my wife that I'd like to fill the entire house with pianos. If they weren't so heavy and I could afford it I might actually do that.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
PT, if you site them correctly, weight doesn't need to be too much of a problem. You can use spreader plates to get the weight across 2 joists (or more) and then you would be fine.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
... Over a one year period, the piano was tuned three times. It had VERY occasional use. Although the temperature and humidity were fairly constant, it could not hold a tuning. .

That sounds like a candidate for a cyanoacrylate treatment. DIY and have change left from a $20.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
P
OP Offline
P
I just finished tuning it. It sounds a lot better:
[video:youtube]6QBaFkNY8Sg[/video]

Sounds good, PT.

I believe I'd go over the tuning one more time, do a little hammer shaping/filing, hammer-to-string-mating, and some hammer voicing/needling, and you'll have a very nice sounding freebie piano!! smile

All the best,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
If you had time, I'd run through the tuning one more time, especially since you had to correct the pitch pretty significantly when you did it the first time. Also, I'd have the machine remeasure the piano completely from scratch before you tuned it again.

Pianist, teacher, apprentice technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks, will do. This is the first one I tuned. I watched a load of videos on YouTube and used the Entropy Piano Tuning app on my phone.
I'll do another tuning soon. I had more difficulty with the very low notes. They aren't sounding all that good.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Piano Tipping
Thanks, will do. This is the first one I tuned. I watched a load of videos on YouTube and used the Entropy Piano Tuning app on my phone.
I'll do another tuning soon. I had more difficulty with the very low notes. They aren't sounding all that good.

Most likely not much can be done about the low notes, because those strings are probably old and dead. And the bass wouldn't sound very good on a piano of that size anyway. Nice free piano laugh

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
Sounds decent to me. Homer and Bart really enjoyed it from what I could tell.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Congratulations -- you gambled and won on this one. After a few more tunings, it should settle in and hold better. The bass will never be all that good just because it's so small.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
P
OP Offline
P
Thanks for all the advice! It's a lot of fun to work on.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Borgato speaks about piano craft
by VladK - 04/18/21 07:14 PM
Modernised classics.
by treefrog - 04/18/21 06:39 PM
Brahms Hungarian Dance #5
by Works1 - 04/18/21 05:57 PM
Recommendations on interesting YouTube lectures?
by ZigZagStory - 04/18/21 05:08 PM
Hygrometer
by FennerMachine - 04/18/21 04:50 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,382
Posts3,083,924
Members101,234
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission