2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, 12 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
I'm wondering which program is good and free for windows 8 laptop to play midi on my MX-100a. Also, any tips on execution? Also is there a free database of downloadable midi piano pieces?

M
M
Dave, you must use a USB to midi cable and connect to your piano via the Midi In socket. Streaming is hopelessly poor by comparison in playback quality – See other write-up replies I've done for Pianoworld. Tell me what your piano music preferences are (Classical, Popular, Modern or Jazz) and I can point you to thousands of midis freely available online. For Disklavier it is essential to convert every midi to Type 0 and then adjust midi note velocities (loudness & softness of note) to suit your piano, so playback does not break a string or, conversely, is strong enough to throw the felt hammer to strike the string. Find a midi editor or player that has a piano-roll emulation, whereby adjustments can be made to any part of the midi to optimise playback. I use MidiSwing, on a Mac OS and find it perfect for my needs. They make a version for PC, but I know that at one time it caused some problems on the PC of a friend of mine.

T
T
Hi MrWups can I ask you to share with me your copy of midiswing for osx, I can't find any on the web...
Thanks
-Alain

G
OP Offline
G
That's great, I'm getting the MIDISWING going now. As for midi files, I really like them all if they're from live performace. Especially high-level jazz.

Last edited by grandpianodave; 09/29/16 06:50 AM.
M
M
Dave, Wups is my dog's name. Mine is Ian. Please send me an email to wam(at)ram.net.au so I might send you some zip files of midis. If you get MidiSwing working, it will be perfect for your needs. The midis will open in that app and you will see them as a piano roll, Here is how I use MidiSwing: Drag the midi you want to open, onto the desktop; Doubleclick on the MidiSwing icon. It will open showing about 4inches of blank virtual piano roll Hit Command O. (for Open) A window will open with a heading which you may have change by clicking on the arrow on that box heading. Get it to read "Desktop" and then scroll until find your midi Click on that to highlight the title, then in the bottom right of that window click on the button marked "Open" Your midi will appear on screen as dashed lines (which represents the note slots in the paper as would have been seen in a piano roll). The darker the blue notes the louder they will play back, and the paler they are, the softer they will play. Look at he first row of clickable buttons above the piano roll A loudspeaker, an arrow, a pencil and a music note are shown there. Click on the Arrow then hit Command A which highlights all the notes. In the middle of any note, click and hold then drag to the right (or the left) until all the notes move and the first note lines up with the number 1 in the heading above the piano roll. That has now given you a couple of seconds of silence which is the equivalent of a blank paper lead in to the music. If you clicked too far from the middle you will have stretched the notes or altered their relative loudness or softness. (More on that later). If you have made that mistake, Command Z will get you back to your last Save. Unlike some Apps, you can't go back any further than Last Save Now, at the left of the very bottom of your MidiSwing window is a long blue button which you click on, hold and drag to the right until you get to the finishing end of the midi on the virtual roll. Click on the finishing edge of the virtual roll and arrows will appear allowing you to add a few inches of blank roll as a lead out from the roll. What you have just done becomes important when you are playing your optimised midis from a playlist, where a few seconds between tunes is far better than having one tune playing hard upon another. OK, you've added a bit of length to the roll after the end of the music Now, beside that row of buttons I mentioned is another one with a word in it – probably "Keyboard" with up and down arrows at the right side. Click on those arrows and get "Hold pedal" to replace "Keyboard" You will see now, at the bottom of the screen, blue bands which activate the sustain pedal on your piano. If the sustain pedal of last note has has been stretched to where the roll stops, then click on the pencil icon, go to the bottom of the blue sustain band for that not an from the middle drag to the right which will shorten the sustain to where it should have stopped. Experiment clicking and dragging high and low on these band to add or subtract from the sustain pedal. NOW, look at the menu bar at the very top left of your computer screen. Beside the word "MidiSwing", is the word "File" Click on that menu and run down the list of options until you see Convert to SFM0. When it is highlighted, release the mouse and a pop-up notice will ask you if you are sure you want to convert the file to SMF0. Hit YES, then Hit Command S which will save your file in correct format. (If it is already an SFM0, then your only option will be "Convert to SMF1"...... DON'T – Simply hit Command S to save all you have done thus far.) We are NEARLY THERE! In the heading, look for the label "Output". with arrows. Hit the arrows and highlight 'USB Cable' which will appear in the window when you leave it. Hit Command A Select the arrow icon and click on any note they are all hollow in appearance but while they are hollow, they can be manipulated. Hold and click your mouse on the start of the note and a horizontal line with up and down arrows will appear in your cursor. If you hold the click on the mouse and drag down the screen a quarter inch, then release the mouse. The dark blue notes will have lightened, meaning they are less likely to pound you piano when they play it NOW Hit the Play arrow on the button at the top of the MidiSwing window and the first notes should play. If still too loud, repeat what you just did to lower the note velocities. Had you clicked your mouse at the right-hand end of the note your cursor would have given a vertical line with left and right arrows which means you could drag right or left to lengthen or shorten a note. If all notes are hollow, your action will proportionally alter every note. This is marvellous because the loud soft relationships are preserved as are the note lengths relative to each other. Playing thru the entire file will allow you to adjust notes that are not loud enough to play correctly. If the bass notes are too soft. Highlight the whole lot of them and with one click and a short upward drag you can boost their volume. Adjusting the slider in the slot beside the arrow and pencil icons, will allow you to view the entire piece from start to end. The other tempo slider allows you to play back at a speed which is more to your liking. Having found a tempo setting you like, click the square button to the right of the slot and your choice becomes the new tempo for the file. Where you have the word "Hold Pedal" click the arrows until you can highlight "Tempo" and a grey line appears across the bottom. The higher it is , the faster the file is played back. With the pencil icon, you can adjust them tempo throughout the file – I do this to very accurately match the pacing and phrasing of audio CD performances. IF MIDISWING IS NOT BY NOW IS NOT PLAYING YOUR PIANO: Save everything! Make sure you are properly connected to the piano and that it is setup to read from the Midi-In port Shut down and immediately restart your computer with the piano switched on It should now recognise the piano. There may be further fiddling required to get connection but we can do that via email. I await your email so I can send midis. Good luck Ian

M
M
SORRY

I had that last submission carefully paragraphed as points you could follow.
Submission has reformatted it to one continuous unbroken stream.
You may have to copy and paste it into a text app to re paragraph it, for ease of use.

Ian

J
J
In order to play the midi's in Yamaha MX-100 Disklavier using the laptop, it may require a software interface like ESQ 1 in between the devices. You need to just drag and drop the software in any windows explorer software and the major trick is to balance the sequencer and the midi files in the software. If you buy the software, the manufacturer's may provide you the user manual and in which you can get the complete details of the usage of the player and how the midi's can be played using the laptop or computer system. The Yamaha digital pianos may give the better solutions to such issues.

Music can be the best medicine for every broken heart.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission