2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,670 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29
Beakybird #2570428 09/11/16 02:31 PM
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Beakybird
I remember reading somewhere on this forum that a member was able to compare the two and thought the better of Roland.

Do you mean he preferred the Roland or that he did not like the Roland? Depending on where you live, 'thought the better of' could mean either.

Roland HP 302 / Samson Graphite 49 / Akai EWI

Reaper / Native Instruments K9 ult / ESQL MOR2 Symph Orchestra & Choirs / Lucato & Parravicini , trumpets & saxes / Garritan CFX lite / Production Voices C7 & Steinway D compact

Focusrite Saffire 24 / W7, i7 4770, 16GB / MXL V67g / Yamaha HS7s / HD598
brooster #2570432 09/11/16 02:51 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I remember to have written that I prefer the Roland. (Since I havn't played a Roland since this post, I have no reason to change my mind).

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
Bachus #2570437 09/11/16 03:18 PM
G
G
Originally Posted by Bachus

Actually this is one of the things where the fp90 really shines, its done by an ipad/android app(free) trough midi and audio over Bluetooth connection... This allows them to have way more advanced accompany tracks then onboard...

Hahaha no thank you. In theory software allows you to do much more, in practice it's often another matter entirely.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.roland.PianoPartner2&hl=en

Rating 2.8/5.0 (which is badly below average).

"Always gives me a "cannot be connected to the piano [E001]"

"Cannot connect HP605. Can't connect via Bluetooth. Can sometimes see 605 in the menu, but mostly it's glitchy "

"It's not working It's not connecting to LX-7. It can attach the midi and see the LX7 but when you select LX7 is dropped back to home screen without connecting"

"Doesn't work on RP401R Synthesia does this without a problem, Roland can't. Seriously"

"Connects but does nothing None of the control functions work. Select the device and it resets data then does nothing. "

"Working nice with my phone and Roland FP-30. Although the rhythm section is greyed out and I can't use it" (this is the most positive review out of all of them!)

If I was willing to deal with this I'd have gotten a VPC-1 with PianoTeq and vArranger on a Surface Pro or something, which would probably work better than a random Android app that may or may not be compatible with random tablets, cables, Android updates, etc.

The FP-90 has lost a core feature the FP-80 had and the ES8 still has. Pretending that software is a workaround is laughable.

Buckster #2570438 09/11/16 03:19 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Buckster
wonder how the modelled Piano compares to something like Pianoteq 5

I did a google search for LX-17 vs Pianoteq but nothing really came up

I suppose that's largely a question of preference. Having played the LX17 in shop it certainly is impressive I thought with that speaker system. For me personally without being advanced player anyway but just based on the joy of playing comparing like for like, using the same headphones with pteq at home versus the Roland SN engine, My impression was this:

Out of box settings, pteq, lets something like the D4 default versus the default concert sound on the Roland I think the timbre is a better on the latter, more convincing to me, or perhaps I should say more pleasing to me than pteq, BUT, when it comes to some of the user modified/customised sounds with fxp files in pteq, that is, if you own pteq standard or above ( i.e. not the stage version ) , in the end I prefer pteq so far.

Also the overtones and resonances I heard on the roland for me don't quite do it the way pteq does, though not much in it, very hard to describe in words why that is, nor do I want to write an essay on that here grin . Whether I am right or wrong in that respect, who knows, but that's just how I feel about it personally preferring pteq; In the end they both have that similar(ish) character in some ways that these modelled sounds tend to have that make to some degree still artificial sounding (IMO).

Now, I know my way round pteq much more owning it, however with the few hours I spent in shop and playing with designer settings on the Roland as well, it did not take long to find that pteq has far more flexibility and customisation ability.

Not trying to down anything on the Roland, but for those happy to use a computer in their setup, as such there is nothing shouting at me personally ... go buy the Roland solely because of their SN sound engine, not at this point in time anyway with where its at currently for me, since pteq exists ( much cheaper if you got a 'puter already) and I already have it anyway. In the end I don't feel SN is any better versus a customised pteq, just a little different.

It would be more the keyboard and liking it ( the action ) that for me would the bigger consideration. I did enjoy the Roland, don't get me wrong, the connection with the instrument and overall package could instantly be felt as soon as I touched it, it was joy to play.

To put it in context for me between say something like the current Kawai sound engine and Roland I'd pick the latter. In fact, if I weren't using VSts or using a computer for the sounds as I currently do I might still pick it over the sampled digital console pianos sound engines I tried to date in shops, but not against some of the software VSTs I enjoy out there at this point in time.

I am actually one of those people that enjoys both modelled sounds and sampled libraries for different reasons anyway. Things like ivory ACD and pteq roughly get an equal share in actual use by me to this day. I don't really subscribe .. as yet .. that it is all one or the other. Modelled sounds, be it pteq, or Roland SN are not at the stage they have won me over solely just yet .... may be in years to come.

To this day since I started using both, a couple of sampled libs and pteq, they both do different things in a more pleasing way than others for me, I have time to enjoy both ... and I do just that smile

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
Garf #2570498 09/11/16 08:42 PM
M
M
thats a shame actually. I know the Piano Partner 2 app has 21 rhythms etc and works in the same way but only 21 and not 90 like on the fp80 etc....my only hope is that they are developing the app to include more choice....

Garf #2570656 09/12/16 02:23 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Garf

Actually this is one of the things where the fp90 really shines, its done by an ipad/android app(free) trough midi and audio over Bluetooth connection... This allows them to have way more advanced accompany tracks then onboard...

Hahaha no thank you. In theory software allows you to do much more, in practice it's often another matter entirely.

"Cannot connect HP605. Can't connect via Bluetooth. Can sometimes see 605 in the menu, but mostly it's glitchy "

"It's not working It's not connecting to LX-7. It can attach the midi and see the LX7 but when you select LX7 is dropped back to home screen without connecting"

"Doesn't work on RP401R Synthesia does this without a problem, Roland can't. Seriously"

"Connects but does nothing None of the control functions work. Select the device and it resets data then does nothing. "

"Working nice with my phone and Roland FP-30. Although the rhythm section is greyed out and I can't use it" (this is the most positive review out of all of them!)

If I was willing to deal with this I'd have gotten a VPC-1 with PianoTeq and vArranger on a Surface Pro or something, which would probably work better than a random Android app that may or may not be compatible with random tablets, cables, Android updates, etc.

The FP-90 has lost a core feature the FP-80 had and the ES8 still has. Pretending that software is a workaround is laughable.

Try using an ipad instead of an android device... Those comments are near non existant on the ipad store...

brooster #2570663 09/12/16 02:54 PM
I
I
External power supply and no XLRs. Both major negatives for me. Can only assume that the designers have never had the pleasure of gigging one of their creations... night in, night out. Otherwise they'd know better. I.

IanL #2570668 09/12/16 03:29 PM
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by IanL
External power supply and no XLRs. Both major negatives for me. Can only assume that the designers have never had the pleasure of gigging one of their creations... night in, night out. Otherwise they'd know better. I.

I guess they don't want to cannibalize the RD-series. FP is mostly a home type stage piano and not a professional gigging machine. If you need the latter, you'd have to spend ca$h on RD-series wink

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Bachus #2570687 09/12/16 04:29 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Try using an ipad instead of an android device... Those comments are near non existant on the ipad store...

Try using a Casio instead of a Roland device. Those comments are near non existent as it has the touchscreen for rhythm selection is already built in. grin

Yamaha P-515
brooster #2570728 09/12/16 06:57 PM
T
T
My take after watching the videos and looking over the marketing material is that it is designed as primarily a home piano that can be taken to small events like parties, wedding receptions, coffee houses, rehearsals and the like without necessarily even needing additional amplification. It certainly looks to be well suited for that as well as for people who may be moving around quite a bit and/or have limited space or budget for a console.

If it plays and sounds close to the HP605 I tried a few months ago--albeit with smaller speakers and lower amplification--while being fairly portable, I'm interested in it, even though I don't have any plans to play weddings or coffee shops.

Bachus #2570730 09/12/16 07:08 PM
C
C

When I looked through those comments, most of them seemed to be due to people not having updated the firmware on their DP, because the Android version had only just came out. If you read down further, there are some that mention such, like "Working nice with my phone and Roland FP-30. Although the rhythm section is greyed out and I can't use it, everything else works great. Be sure to update the FP-30 firmware to the latest version wink Btw the FP-30 is a great piece of equipment." Note the rhythm section isn't a feature for the FP-30 so that's not a bug.

Brand new app won't work with old DP without updating the firmware. There's also people giving one star reviews that just have an older piano that's not even supported in the first place, like FP-20.

I would bring my phone or tablet and test it myself before making any judgements either way.

I like to play.
brooster #2571068 09/13/16 07:37 PM
P
P
Big step from Roland, and I don't think Yamaha will follow up, Kawai sure will with what they have best... but on the downside for me, I wish there was an action that works like Kawai's GF or Casio Hybrid action. The only thing I used to dislike on the previous Rolands was the action. For me it doesn't click. Last time I put my hands down (RD-800) I really enjoyed the Piano and it's nuances, but the action wasn't for my taste. I didn't felt firm as Kawai's GF (CA-65 the last one I tried). Today I tried the Casio GP-500, even prefering Kawai's better, I was a bit surprised GP-500 felt quite good (though not the same as Kawai). Let's see how long it takes to come to Brazil so I can try it.

"But its got a crap keyboard action Dave ... no amount of great sounds help that."
Dr. Popper

Majoring in Piano at University of São Paulo - Ribeirão Preto
Music Education Major at Music Department of FFCLRP - University of São Paulo
P-515, P140 and DGX-670
Previously: Rönisch Upright, MOX8.
brooster #2571095 09/13/16 09:25 PM
J
J
On the flip side...the Kawai certainly has a more natural acoustic-like feel with the GFII but I am not sure that it accurately mimics an acoustic so it makes playing certain repeated passages a little more difficult (like La Campanella) whereas this seems slightly easier on the Roland. Perhaps this has to do with two things...one the length of the keys is substantially shorter than on a real 9-foot grand and it seems that the sound cuts out to early as you are trying to play super soft (not allowing you to keep the keys down far enough to play the rapid notes instead of having them return to their resting position each time you play). Perhaps with a folded action like in the Roland - although it is obviously not as true to a grand mechanism (it can't be just sheerly by design) it might allow for a more grand-like feel especially with repeated notes because it is not restricted to trying to look/feel exactly like a grand. There are compromises that have to be made with either type action. Certainly with putting shorter keys into a digital than are on a regular grand, not having double-escapement, wippens, jacks, back-checks, etc. there is a compromise with either the Casio (the Casio is not full-length 9-foot...) or Kawai. Now I own a Kawai (older MP-9500) and in general like it but I think this is just a fact of the matter. I have extensively played on the CA-97, new Rolands, Casios and Avant Grands as well. All have strengths/weaknesses. I would love if a DP manufacturer could actually manufacture a full 9 foot real action/DP hybrid. That would feel awesome! The Casio is shorter and the Avant Grand is shorter (I believe C1 length). The feel just isn't quite there (although the Avant Grand honestly is the best of the bunch because at least you have an authentic action).

As mentioned before I am looking at purchasing the FP-90 - as a classical pianist I think it will make a good practice instrument. The only other thing I would consider at this point honestly would be if Kawai released a stage piano with the GFII and updated samples in it. I don't care much for the cabinet speakers/setup with any of them. Plus I love the form-factor of the stage piano. The Casio is good but the cabinet on the GP-300....not so nice. I don't like the cheap satin look mica top. If it was real wood with a satin ebony - that would be much better. Then there is the fact that the GP-300 just doesn't sound good without the extra software modeling the GP-400 and GP-500 has. You are talking about $1500-$2000 to upgrade basically just for software tweaks inside....same speaker system and same sounds. I think that is steep.

Just some thoughts and observations. Have a blessed night!

Bachus #2571146 09/14/16 02:14 AM
G
G

Is this ipad device included in the purchase price of the FP-90?

Originally Posted by Colorado4me

"Although the rhythm section is greyed out and I can't use it, everything else works great."

Note the rhythm section isn't a feature for the FP-30 so that's not a bug.

The Rythm section isn't a feature of the FP-90 either, which is what sparked this discussion in the first place.

Last edited by Garf; 09/14/16 02:16 AM.
brooster #2571206 09/14/16 09:21 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The rhythm section of Roland's Piano Partner 2 app works fine with the Roland FP-30. I practice with it on an old iPad 3 over Bluetooth. I suspect it will work just fine with the FP-90! * There is a note on the Roland website that if you are using Android, the rhythm features only work if you are connected via USB cable.

———————
Roland FP-90
———————
I'm really liking what I'm seeing on the Roland FP-90, it checks a lot of boxes for me. I'm glad they went with the external power supply, so we can use an external battery to power it.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
Garf #2571356 09/14/16 06:55 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Is this ipad device included in the purchase price of the FP-90?

Originally Posted by Colorado4me

"Although the rhythm section is greyed out and I can't use it, everything else works great."

Note the rhythm section isn't a feature for the FP-30 so that's not a bug.

The Rythm section isn't a feature of the FP-90 either, which is what sparked this discussion in the first place.

I can confirm (Because I've used it this way many times) that the Rhythm portion of piano partner 2 works on both the FP-30 and the FP-90.

Jay

Industry Consultant
JayGVan #2571468 09/15/16 06:31 AM
G
G
Thanks for clearing that up! So if have a tablet (preferably an iPad) and get it working and hooked up to the piano, you'll have some lesser selection of rhythms (on any modern Roland piano).

There's an implicit assumption here that most people are using a tablet with their DP (ok, I admit I am) and that some functionality that works better with screen space can be offloaded to it.

Personally I'd rather not deal with software when playing the piano. It's a distraction.

brooster #2576868 10/07/16 11:29 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
From reading the specs it appears they dropped the drum patterns from this ? There are internal drum sounds but like the CP4, there are no patterns/grooves ?

I haven't made it to a store yet to check this out. Actually it's somewhat difficult to find stores that carry the FP line in LA. If anyone might have seen one around, please let me know. smile

Looking for something with speakers as I'm getting tired of putting on phones every time I fire up the CP5 in the office. Could go with the default P255 but feeling something different.

Also have yet to play the ES8 ….which I know has the drum patterns.

brooster #2576871 10/07/16 11:34 AM
E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I think it went the way of the HP603, HP605 LX series. To get drum patterns you
need to use Roland's Piano Partner App with iOS or Android.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
brooster #2578981 10/15/16 12:52 PM
B
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
B

The heavens declare the glory of God;
and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
Page 3 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 28 29

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission