2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
I occasionally see advertisements for pianos that are a bit old, but which have "sat in someone's house as a piece of furniture, never being used. Good as new!"

Assuming a credible technician inspects the piano and certifies that the pianos has indeed not been used very much and is otherwise in like new condition, what issues are there with these kinds of pianos? Are they really as good as new?

E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Some of them can be the best bargain available if you have the acquaintance of a skilled piano technician who will take responsibility for the quality.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
W
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
W
Everything deteriorates on a piano, whether you play it or not.

The sound board loses its crown under the constsnt high pressure. The strings age, eg oxidize. The steel strings probably dig into the agraffes slightly. Lubricants harden and oxidize. Wood works. Wood may be damaged from humidity changes, or from woodworms. If the piano is never played, maybe animals take it as their home. etc.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Assuming nothing disastrous has happened, the biggest negative is that they haven't been tuned in decades. You're typically looking at a pitch raise plus a few tunings before the instrument becomes stable.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Sometimes strings will stick at various points if they have not been tuned in a long time, and if one is not careful, they can break when they are tuned.

Semipro Tech
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
If one was able to house a newly made piano in a room with modern museum-like climate control, the piano would not deteriorate beyond the effects of string bending at the termination points and the gravity induced compression of various cushioned surfaces in the action components. This also assumes the PH of the materials was properly neutralized in the usual manner.

The tuning would of course become very disordered over time, but this would be mainly from the string settling, (bending). If the piano was tuned several times back to A-440 by a skilled technician in the first five or more years of life, it would then remain in good tune for quite some time with much less frequent tunings.

The forces that contribute to decay are: changing humidity, changing temperature, UV exposure, air carrying acids, oils and ozone, critters, bugs, mold, people spilling various fluids into and onto it, people vandalizing it, and of course; playing the thing a lot. Also unprofessional service can ruin a piano pretty quickly.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ed McMorrow, RPT
Also unprofessional service can ruin a piano pretty quickly.

Can you be more specific about this one? What would an unprofessional tech ruin, and how would he/she go about doing this?

Playing since age 21 (September 2010) and loving it more every day.
"You can play better than BachMach2." - Mark_C
Currently Butchering:
Rachmaninoff Prelude in C# Minor
My Piano Diary: http://www.youtube.com/sirsardonic
♪ > $
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by Sam Rose
Can you be more specific about this one? What would an unprofessional tech ruin, and how would he/she go about doing this?

Taking a dump on the keys and then slamming the fallboard shut.

My Howard/Kawai 550 from 1969 was rarely played by it's one and only owner. It sat in her living room as a piece of furniture for 45 years before I bought it from her. The action and tuning pins are good and tight. The walnut finish has a little fading on top of the lid from exposure to some sunlight, and the bass strings suffer from the affects of age, not use; but the piano is in superb condition.

I'm certainly no pro, but I agree with Ed. McMorrow... if an acoustic piano is played very little, and kept in a decent environment, and kept tuned (or not), I'd say that a 20 year old piano that was "hardly used" is not a deceptive term. But I certainly wouldn't pay a nearly-new price for it. smile

Just my .02.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Well it is an infinite list of possibilities. How about oiling the pin-block for starters. Spraying windex on the wound strings. WD-40 on the action centers. I will stop there.

R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Shouldn't we add that a compression-crowned soundboard, especially in a climate with large humidity swings between summer and winter, can certainly deteriorate with age. I remember once seeing a Petrof grand of less than 20 years of age with obvious pressure ridges at almost every joint. This piano was in Massachusetts, and did not have a Dampp Chaser installed.

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission