2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
47 members (1957, Bruce In Philly, 36251, computron, anotherscott, accordeur, CoogerTown, blueviewlaguna., 13 invisible), 452 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Florence Foster Jenkins the Movie
Sam S #2563206 08/14/16 06:38 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Sam S

It all depends on how you tell the story and how deep you go into the details.

I was thinking of this. Is there no recording of Florence singing well at all???

I don't know that other person, but my general idea is that being famous nowadays is not for everybody (probably never was). I for sure wouldn't want to be famous at all.

Edit: I don't know much of Opera. I just like the singer or not, and I guess mostly I like the piece more or like it less. I don't know if there is really a Fixed Canon in Opera that can say some sing well and others don't. I am used to Pop/Jazz/etc singers and there it doesn't really always matter how good singers they are; the important thing is just "I like him/her" or even better "I like that song". There are some very very famous singers that I don't like at all, and can see others consider they sing very well. There are also some who sing very well in my opinion, and they receive lots of criticism (this happens a lot with young popular singers).

What I mostly mean is that I think the Singing world is a bit of a crazy world in itself. smile

Last edited by Albunea; 08/14/16 06:54 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
PianogrlNW #2563208 08/14/16 06:59 PM
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
It seems there is no good recording of hers. smile

I am reading more about her. First, it seems there was only ONE public recital, and she was already 76! I've read the name of another good famous Soprano of that time there, and we need imagination to appreciate it since the recording quality makes it impossible to say it sounds good (Frieda Hempel): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5KIbkpKmj0

Wikipedia where it says she gave one concert:

In spite of public demand, Jenkins restricted her performances to clubs and an annual October recital in the Grand Ballroom of the Ritz-Carlton Hotel. Attendance was limited to her loyal clubwomen and a select few others; she handled distribution of the coveted tickets herself, carefully excluding professional critics. At the age of 76 she finally relented and booked Carnegie Hall for a public performance, which took place on October 25, 1944.[15] Tickets for the event sold out weeks in advance;

And she died a month later... The Opera world could respect her a bit because she founded a club and used some of her money on her passion.

Last edited by Albunea; 08/14/16 07:50 PM.
PianogrlNW #2563223 08/14/16 08:14 PM
O
O
I remember hearing her recording when I was a student in college, 1966 - 1970. Like the immature teenagers we were, we all thought it was extremely funny. Now at age 68, I have much more sympathy for her. My wife and I both want to see the movie. Meryl Streep is always amazing.

Albunea #2563462 08/15/16 06:21 PM
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Albunea
I was thinking of this. Is there no recording of Florence singing well at all???

Has anyone tried fixing her voice in post, autotune and such....?

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
PianogrlNW #2565499 08/23/16 09:43 PM
M
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
M
I saw this tonight.

I was prepared to not like her. But she was portrayed as warm and likeable, and spunky and generous. I was prepared to not like her husband, as a hanger-on who should have stopped her (or tried to). But in spite of the portrayal of him living off her wealth, he seemed to genuinely care for her, and I liked him, too. In spite of the laughs at the singing, I found it a sad and moving story.

As always, Meryl Streep was great but the piano player just stole the show.

MH1963

'63 Mason & Hamlin Model A

[Linked Image]
PianogrlNW #2565517 08/23/16 11:13 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Here's an interesting documentary on the life of Foster Jenkins.......

https://youtu.be/UVcatZDdaIY

And another (shorter) piece recently shown on TV more closely tied to the film...

https://youtu.be/dDbdKjwIEnU

Last edited by Carey; 08/23/16 11:27 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
PianogrlNW #2566083 08/25/16 09:32 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I enjoyed watching the YouTube bio on Florence Foster Jenkins. Learned what made Florence, Florence. She loved music and singing, but sadly music and singing did not love her.

Loved the movie - Meryl Streep, Hugh Grant and the actor who played for Florence all should be nominated for an Oscar.

Thanks for posting.

musdan #2566248 08/26/16 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by musdan
I enjoyed watching the YouTube bio on Florence Foster Jenkins. Learned what made Florence, Florence. She loved music and singing, but sadly music and singing did not love her.

Loved the movie - Meryl Streep, Hugh Grant and the actor who played for Florence all should be nominated for an Oscar.

Thanks for posting.

Glad you enjoyed them. I did as well - and I look forward to seeing the film. I've been aware of FFJ's recordings for 50 years - but had absolutely no knowledge of the story behind them until now.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
jotur #2566356 08/26/16 09:26 PM
J
jdw Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by jotur

Merryl Streep apparently can actually sing, and according to a friend of mine she even once trained operatically, and had to have a coach to learn to sing off-key.

It is actually super-easy to sing off key. Any honest singer will admit that--don't trust anyone who says they can't do it! smile I haven't seen the movie yet, but I saw an interview with Meryl Streep in which she hinted at this. She had to train with a coach to learn the crazy-difficult arias that Jenkins performed, but for singing off-key, you can just let go of proper support and awful things will happen by themselves. smile

BTW I don't claim to know a lot about this, not having seen the film, but I'm inclined to Albunea's view, that those old recordings may not tell the whole story. It's hard for me to believe that Jenkins didn't have some musical value to offer all those enthusiastic audiences--especially since we know she had early musical talent, had many supporters among people you'd expect to have some judgment, and was not hit by scathing public criticism till that Carnegie concert at age 76. (I sure hope I'm still singing when I'm 76--no Carnegie ambitions, though! smile )

Anyway, my friends say the movie is really funny!

1989 Baldwin R
PianogrlNW #2568782 09/05/16 01:07 PM
I
I
Did see the movie, and really liked it not just for itself, but also for the lively debate we engaged in after seeing it:

At the big concert, were people applauding her enthusiastically because they thought she was a comedy act? Is there value in supporting a kind of "A for effort" experience? What about the fact that she gave so much money for the arts in general and supported the artist community financially and with her social standing? At what point is it right to tell someone you care about, if ever, that they just don't have what it takes for the big time? What if we didn't like her character as a person, would that change anything? Is it ethical to allow sales of tickets to a show where people would have assumed they were to be hearing a truly good performer? And what about the ethics of buying off the media to provide positive reviews - harmless or morally bankrupt?

On a more tragic level, I saw that the movie also pointed to the sheer helplessness and victimization of women married young (the movie said at 18) who then contracted life threatening STDs from philandering husbands and had their whole lives ruined.

I rarely go out to see movies nowadays, but really enjoyed this one on many levels.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Save my sanity: CLP-785 vs CA-99 vs N1X vs ...
by tofupiano - 10/31/20 06:01 PM
Late '90s Yamaha U1 MSRP/SMP?
by re22 - 10/31/20 06:01 PM
Piano tariffs in the US?
by Sweelinck - 10/31/20 05:11 PM
Kawai Novus NV5 'loud note' problem
by John Dean - 10/31/20 03:54 PM
Beethoven and Bechstein
by OE1FEU - 10/31/20 03:37 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,515
Posts3,019,259
Members99,090
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission