2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
58 registered members (David B, ebonykawai, AB99, BachToTheFuture, 36251, ChrisGoesPiano, Carey, 15 invisible), 415 guests, and 466 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
And lo, it comes up again... #2565468 08/23/16 07:23 PM
A
argerichfan Offline OP
9000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
... to include the Grave in the expo repeat of the Beethoven Op 13.

I wish this issue would just go away, but some pompous Facebook 'authority' has intellectualized -to his satisfaction- why the Grave should be repeated.

This makes no intuitive sense to me. The Grave is bold, revolutionary (thank-you, Ferruccio Busoni), and dramatic. Some things cannot be repeated twice without trivializing the initial statement. Furthermore, repeating the Grave robs the Allegro of its nervous onrush.

And, yes, I feel the same way about the Chopin Bb minor.

Jason
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items, digital piano dolly, music theme party goods
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: argerichfan] #2565484 08/23/16 08:03 PM
Orange Soda King Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I agree with you on this situation, Jason. Don't repeat all the way back to the beginning for Pathetique or Chopin Op. 35...

Although, I do like to hear the exposition of Chopin Op. 58 a second time, just personal preference. Same with Schubert D. 960 (is anyone REALLY going to miss those five minutes in their entire life again??)

Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: argerichfan] #2565501 08/23/16 08:47 PM
hreichgott Offline
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Is the Grave just an introduction or is it important thematic material? If an introduction, it should not be repeated. If thematic material, it should be repeated, in order to have a full classical sonata exposition.

I think one could reasonably go either way on this one.

I like repeating it and here's why. For me, the fact that the Grave theme keeps coming back throughout the movement indicates that it's important thematic material. It's right there at the beginning of the development in original Grave tempo, throughout the development in Allegro tempo (alternating with the first Allegro theme, as in m. 8-9 of the devel.) and in the recap in Grave tempo. Also, this way, every time the first Allegro theme starts, it's preceded by a Grave theme instead of by a mere whole note or two. To me, that feels more balanced.

Dramatically, it means something different every time we change from Grave to Allegro. The first time: surprise. The second time: we know it's coming, with twitchy anticipation (maybe bigger ritard right before the Allegro on the repeat). The third time: it's in a new key, development time, anything can happen. The fourth time: it's a surprise again.

Heather W. Reichgott, piano

Working on:
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations Op. 120
Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony no. 7
Tommy (whole show)

I love Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven and new music
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: argerichfan] #2565511 08/23/16 09:30 PM
Carey Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan

I wish this issue would just go away, but some pompous Facebook 'authority' has intellectualized -to his satisfaction- why the Grave should be repeated.
The self satisfied pompous "authority" can intellectualize this all he wants - but since LVB obviously didn't intend the Grave to be repeated (per the placement of the repeat signs in the score) we should continue to honor his intent.

Geez....... smokin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: Carey] #2565519 08/23/16 10:28 PM
ChopinAddict Offline
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey

The self satisfied pompous "authority" can intellectualize this all he wants - but since LVB obviously didn't intend the Grave to be repeated (per the placement of the repeat signs in the score) we should continue to honor his intent.

Geez....... smokin

Exactly.

[Linked Image]

Music is my best friend.

Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: hreichgott] #2565539 08/24/16 12:42 AM
D
D. S. F. Offline
D
Originally Posted by hreichgott
I like repeating it and here's why. For me, the fact that the Grave theme keeps coming back throughout the movement indicates that it's important thematic material. It's right there at the beginning of the development in original Grave tempo, throughout the development in Allegro tempo (alternating with the first Allegro theme, as in m. 8-9 of the devel.) and in the recap in Grave tempo. Also, this way, every time the first Allegro theme starts, it's preceded by a Grave theme instead of by a mere whole note or two. To me, that feels more balanced.

Respecting your eloquent thoughts, I actually think the later appearances of the Grave are a better argument for not repeating the first Grave. I agree with Jason and the others here. Beethoven is skilled in using forward motion and then dramatically bringing the momentum to a stop with the later Grave passages. Repeating the first lessens the effectiveness of these later Graves killing the drama by removing the element of surprise. IF it were more structurally balanced on paper it would not necessarily translate to dramatic balance or realized balance for the listener. Some have suggested before a certain point in Beethoven's output the sonatas are better without the exposition repeat all together. I had a teacher who holds this possition basing it on the golden mean. I remember hearing Miklos Perenyi's recordings of the cello sonatas with Andras Schiff taking every repeat marked to great effect blowing this theory out of the water.

Music does not have to be understood;
It has to be listened to.
- Hermann Scherchen.
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: argerichfan] #2565574 08/24/16 07:39 AM
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Not sure why "it comes up again" because the first edition and all those that came after (at least that I have seen) are unequivocal on the subject. Not a matter for interpretation.

A much more significant question for me, which I raised in an earlier thread about repeats in general: whether the repeat in Scarbo should include the slow introduction!

[Linked Image]

SRF
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: SiFi] #2565575 08/24/16 07:41 AM
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And then there's Islamey. This is a tough one:

[Linked Image]

SRF
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: SiFi] #2565592 08/24/16 08:31 AM
B
bennevis Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by SiFi
Not sure why "it comes up again" because the first edition and all those that came after (at least that I have seen) are unequivocal on the subject. Not a matter for interpretation.

A much more significant question for me, which I raised in an earlier thread about repeats in general: whether the repeat in Scarbo should include the slow introduction!

[Linked Image]

A repeat in Scarbo? From (near the) beginning to end? grin

Not in my edition (Durand)......

BTW, if you can access this, the presenter talks about why scholars believe the Grave intro in the Pathétique should be repeated. (Wilhelm Kempff, Rudolf Serkin, Krystian Zimerman and Angela Hewitt are among those who do so):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03n98dc

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: SiFi] #2565633 08/24/16 10:43 AM
AZNpiano Offline
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SiFi

Well, there were two early editions published during Beethoven's lifetime plus two later editions (Haslinger and Breitkopf & Hartel) that do not have the repeat sign after m. 10. I'm getting this info off the Stewart Gordon edition (Alfred) of the Pathetique Sonata.

Rudolf Serkin's 1945 recording of this sonata took the repeat all the way back to the Grave.

I don't have a personal opinion on this matter either way. It's all academic fussing if you ask me. cool

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: argerichfan] #2565641 08/24/16 11:14 AM
K
KayRock Offline
K
Whether to repeat the grave is a subject near and dear to my heart, as is this piece.

Of course, every person should play whatever brings them joy, but when "experts" start throwing "shoulds" around, I get very strident! Keep in mind my opinions are my own and I abhor the word should (even when I'm everso right haha).

If we're speaking purely academically, I think the answer is a resounding NO.

Leaving aside the fact that this pompous facebook expert is basically trying to convince us that he is a far better composer than Beethoven, who must have somehow missed the correct structure of this piece, the music makes it clear to me that the grave must not be repeated. MUST not.

After the opening grave, Beethoven takes us on this frenetic ride through the first instance of the theme, then in closing we get those dramatic descending octaves, obviously leading us somewhere. We're anxious to get there by this point. Then at measure 132, he drops on us the G7. That chord! All alone. Dangling there. UNRESOLVED. We want so much for it to resolve. And where would it resolve? The Cm of the opening of the grave. Of COURSE we feel tempted to go back there. We want to go back there so badly. We want that G7 resolved. We're exhausted. It would be like the cool stroke of our mother's hand against our flaming cheek.

But he does NOT resolve. WHAT? No. He slaps us on the cheek instead by throwing us right back into those rocketing C octaves. The rollercoaster ride is not over! ACK! The G7 is still in our brains. Even those who don't know music feel the unfinished nature of that G7. AND WE WILL FEEL THAT LACK OF RESOLUTION throughout the remainder of the piece. In fact, the whole piece hinges on it.

Now dizzy from the repeat, we end up back to those crashing descending octaves, and some part of our mind is anxious for the G7 to repeat so maybe, just maybe we'll get to resolution.

But it doesn't.

Instead, we land on 134 with that D7. WHAT? Where did that come from? Before we can snap our necks back into alignment, he drops us into a grave. But not THE grave. It's the first variation. This is not our mother's cool hand. This is some OTHER woman's hand. It's clammy and unsettling.

Thus begins the ride through this crazy rollercoaster. Every loop and turn and drop takes us somewhere vaguely familiar, yet not ever quite right. And eternally, that G7 remains completely, frustratingly unresolved. We spend the entirety of the piece needing resolution. Really, you could see that G7 as the penultimate chord of the piece, and every bit of music between that and the desperately needed, final arrival at Cm at measure 311 as a tease; a frantic foreplay.

When he does finally resolve in the end, he doesn't do it in his usual style. Often he likes to REALLY resolve with a stretched out chord, then a few pulses of the chord, like resolution punctuation. But here he doesn't. We get the briefest staccato of resolution; just enough for us to relax our exhausted and broken bones into his arms. Then he lays us down and soothes us with the melancholy lullaby of the second movement.

If we were to have succumbed to temptation and resolved measure 132 by repeating all the way back to the Cm of the grave, we would be cheating ourselves and any listeners of that entire tantric experienced. It would be more than cheating: it would be self-indulgent. It would be masturbatory. You can play anything you want in the privacy of your own home, but if you continue to prematurely resolve that chord, you run the risk of playing the piece with hairy palms.

Truly, if you allow that chord to resolve before it's time, the entire structure of the piece collapses and it just becomes dramatic drivel.

/end of stridency

Of course, I do still believe people should play whatever brings them joy, and I would never tell anyone that they are wrong to place the repeat wherever they want. But when John Q Hubris the expert tells me that Beethoven was wrong and the grave should be repeated, I get uppity.

Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: argerichfan] #2565693 08/24/16 01:23 PM
Vid Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I will look it up but does anyone have a link to the Facebook "authority"?

I don't have a strong opinion either way and feel there are legitimate arguments on both sides (which is probably why its still being argued to this day). I've heard this movement so many times that I wouldn't miss an exposition repeat in any case.

• Schimmel Upright
  • Kawai VPC-1 with Pianoteq

Any issues or concerns are piped to /dev/null
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: argerichfan] #2565718 08/24/16 02:50 PM
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber

[...] Some things cannot be repeated twice without trivializing the initial statement.[..]

Repeat it twice? Isn't the question simply whether or not it should be repeated (once), not "repeated twice" after the initial iteration.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: And lo, it comes up again... [Re: AZNpiano] #2565722 08/24/16 03:05 PM
SiFi Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Well, there were two early editions published during Beethoven's lifetime plus two later editions (Haslinger and Breitkopf & Hartel) that do not have the repeat sign after m. 10. I'm getting this info off the Stewart Gordon edition (Alfred) of the Pathetique Sonata.

I don't have a personal opinion on this matter either way. It's all academic fussing if you ask me. cool

You're correct about the editions. I'm persuaded by the predominance of versions that do have the repeat markings at the Allegro, particularly the first edition, which has to have been based on the original manuscript, and that of Schenker, who knew his Beethoven inside out. I wish we still had the manuscript, but Rosen says it's lost. I absolutely hate the idea and practice of repeating the introduction, for aesthetic and historical reasons. But there it is.

SRF

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our January 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
Free Piano Newsletter
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Shop our Store for Music Lovers!
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Free Trial
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway fallboard lettering
by Lushey1 - 02/21/20 04:30 AM
How do you deal with sweaty hands?
by PracticingPianist - 02/21/20 01:34 AM
FP 90 Question...
by GWILLY - 02/21/20 12:27 AM
I am inspired to write some music
by MichaelJK - 02/20/20 10:51 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics197,098
Posts2,928,235
Members96,057
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission