2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, danno858, benkeys, brennbaer, DaCapoDiTuttiCapi, APianistHasNoName, 9 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Plecto Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi. I've just started playing piano and I'm now thinking of buying a used digital piano, but I'm not sure how much attention I should pay to the age of it. For my purpose, I guess the sound and feel of it is of paramount importance, whether it has wifi or not is of no use to me. How does a Clavinova CLP-130 (which is probably about 13 years old or so) compare to a newer Casio or Yamaha digital piano? My knowledge when it comes to digital piano is very limited I'm afraid frown

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have a CLP150... 2002 like the CLP130.

The keyboard, GH, is like the Arius YDP162 which was sold few month ago (the YDP163 has the same keyboard but 3 sensors per key instead of 2). I have tried a CLP525 or a CLP535 but I havn't found their keyboards better. (The CLP545 with wooden keys is better).

The tone generator is old. On a CLP150, 3 samples per notes... And there there is a clear switch when the sample is changed. (Fortunately in loudest tones... But this mean that there is only one sample for a range ppp-mf). Nowadays, tone generators blend samples to avoid such switches.

I am still happy of my CLP150 but use it with a virtual piano. Then I don't suffer the tone generator limits.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey there and welcome to Piano World!

I can tell you I wouldn't buy a 13 year old digital piano, for a couple reasons. First, the technology has come so far even in just the past few years. You just won't get the realism you get with a modern digital piano. Second, it's old and old things break or wear out: Bad sensors, worn out action, failing buttons.. etc. AND you have no warranty.

Do yourself a favor and get a modern digital piano. The sound and keyboard action will be much better and you will be able to enjoy much longer.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Plecto
How does a Clavinova CLP-130 (which is probably about 13 years old or so) compare to a newer Casio or Yamaha digital piano?

A digital piano at that age isn't worth any money. It might be interesting for collectors of ancient technology, but as a regular pianist I wouldn't pay a penny for it.

My general advice on used digitals is: Get only models in used condition, which are still sold new in stores. This way there is at least a change of getting spare parts if something breaks. Older digital are usually too outdated to be considered.

Yamaha P-515
P
P
I disagree with last 2 posts

If you have absolutely no money or are very unsure if you actually want to play piano, there is nothing wrong with buying a piano for 50$ or 100$ that is very old.
For new you will have to make the leap to $600-700.

I have a 12 year old roland RD170, it still plays exactly the same as 12 years ago, but I think the keys are noisier. The build quality is rock solid so it might still work for many years. Worrying about warranty or spare parts is ridiculous if you buy it for only $50.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
What is your budget? What are they asking for the CLP-130?

I think since you say that the feel and sound are of paramount importance, then you probably should get the latest model within your budget. The CLP-130 is a solid instrument and while good, lacks triple sensors which you'll need to do trills or fast repetitions on notes. Also, I'd say the action is just "okay".

My advice: get the best piano you can afford. That way you won't either be looking for a replacement in a few months when parts wear out on the 13-year old instrument and you can't find replacements, and hopefully you won't need to upgrade for several years to come.

If you can only afford to spend $50 or $100, then obviously go for it and take your chances. But really, I think it's better to save up then for a good, new or slightly used but later model DP.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pocomoto
If you have absolutely no money or are very unsure if you actually want to play piano, there is nothing wrong with buying a piano for 50$ or 100$ that is very old.

Sure, but those 50 bucks deals are hard to come by.

Usually people selling ancient digital leftovers call ridiculous prices up to four digits and more often than not they find someone with no clue about digitals paying them.

Yamaha P-515
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
It's a mixed call. Older DP's, apart from older sound technology, have the potential to suffer from failing electronic components and connections, brittle plastic and glue failures, grease lubricatuon drying out, worn rubber sensors, worn felts, and so on. Sure some older digital pianos are still going strong, but it can be a gamble to buy one. Then if it does fail, getting it repaired can be another problem.

P
Plecto Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Thanks for some great replies smile I've looked through what second hand pianos I can find, but there aren't that many to choose from and most of them are rather old. My best bet might be to go for a new Yamaha P-45 or something else in that price range, but what if we compare something like a Yamaha P-45 or a Casio Privia PX-160 with a used Clavinova CLP-220 (which is 'only' about 9 years old)? I through out these models like I know what I'm talking about, but I don't know that much frown

M
M
Thanks for some great replies smile I've looked through what second hand pianos I can find, but there aren't that many to choose from and most of them are rather old. My best bet might be to go for a new Yamaha P-45 or something else in that price range, but what if we compare something like a Yamaha P-45 or a Casio Privia PX-160 with a used Clavinova CLP-220 (which is 'only' about 9 years old)? I through out these models like I know what I'm talking about, but I don't know that much frown

OK the P-45 has the GHS action, not really that good, IMO. And the polyphony is at 64 which is quite low for anything out these days.

The CLP-220 would probably feel a bit better despite its age, but also at 64 polyphony.

I think with any use of the damper pedal you're going to notice the notes dropping off. Also, I believe they are both two-sensor actions, so limiting when it comes to repeating notes or trills.

The Casio has probably the best bang for your buck in the price range. You get triple sensor action, 128-note polyphony, and since it's a new model, it does have a lot of nice features that the others don't.

Another one you want to compare is the Kawai ES100.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Go for a new Casio Privia PX-160. Don't spend something like $500 on a 9 years old Clavinova.

Yamaha P-515
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JoeT
. . .
Go for a new Casio Privia PX-160. Don't spend something like $500 on a 9 years old Clavinova.

+1.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I have a Yamaha from 2002 (CLP150, GH keyboard), and have tried a PX160. I couldn't get used to the keyboard. Too light. But if you are beginning you will have to adapt yourself to any piano you choose : a PX160 could be a good choice. Note : other digital pianos should be tested : Roland FP30, Yamaha P115, Kawai ES100 are nearly all at the same price.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
S
S
Originally Posted by JoeT
Sure, but those 50 bucks deals are hard to come by.

Usually people selling ancient digital leftovers call ridiculous prices up to four digits and more often than not they find someone with no clue about digital paying them.

True, JoeT! I've never seen a 10-15 year old digital piano for $50-100.

My regional Craigslist have digital pianos 10-15 years old that are priced at 50% or more of what a new, updated console DP would cost today. If it cost $2500 in 2004, they want $1000-1500 (or more) etc; and they buyer is hoping to wait for an uneducated purchaser to come along and the piano sits on Craigslist month after month.

I would suggest purchasing one of the less expensive newer models. Even a $500-$700 new model (Casio Privia etc) will blow the doors off a 10-15 year old digital. And, in a few years, it will be near worthless and you won't be out so much money.

P
Plecto Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I think I'm close to my decision then. I've found a couple of second hand PX-150 which I believe is the previous model? I'm hoping that there isn't that much of a difference in sound quality between the PX-150 and PX-160? A second hand PX-150 is a lot cheaper.

C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I did a few minutes of searching, and came up with this:

http://www.austinbazaar.com/blog/casio-px160-vs-px150-digital-pianos-whats-the-difference/

If it's right, the _piano samples_ are the same in the PX-150 and PX-160. The PX-160's EP's and other instruments have been improved, over the PX-150. The action is unchanged.

My PX-350 has the same basic piano samples as the PX-150. They're competitive against other DP's in that price range, and likely to be better than anything on a much older DP.

IMHO, to get something that sounds better than a used PX-150, you'll have to increase your budget considerably. The loudspeakers are the weakest part of the PX-150 design, but that's true for most low-end DP's.

I may be biased . . .

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
M
M
I think I'm close to my decision then. I've found a couple of second hand PX-150 which I believe is the previous model? I'm hoping that there isn't that much of a difference in sound quality between the PX-150 and PX-160? A second hand PX-150 is a lot cheaper.

If you can get your hands on a PX-150 and are fine with the differences, then definitely snatch that up!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
Plecto Offline OP
OP Offline
P
I will. Thank's a lot for your help! smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission