2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (20/20 Vision, booms, Cominut, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 12 invisible), 2,019 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
keystring #2563586 08/16/16 08:03 AM
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by keystring

c) mixed meter - 5/8 etc. - where typically one beat is longer, the other is shorter, found in Balkan music etc., and only taught at an advanced level.

It's actually fairly common to see this in more recent wind ensemble pieces. Curnow for example, several others I'll think of too late.

If there are 5 eight notes in a 5/8 measure, the struggle is to play them evenly. I've played in bands that did this very well, and bands that yield to the temptation to play a triplet followed by a duplet, each on the same length beat.

gotta go practice
TimR #2563597 08/16/16 10:24 AM
M
M
From singing in a church choir where we sang a lot of music with Latin American influence, the switching back and forth between two threes and three twos (just like in West Side Story) happened quite often. Many of the Hispanic choir members did this really naturally.

Originally Posted by TimR
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Originally Posted by TimR

In a 6/8 measure, there will fit 6 eighth notes, and that's really what it means.

Yup. Two threes, three twos, six sixes.

Three twos is unusual but happens. wink

It happened last night when our band played a medley from West Side Story.

Mom of Two Girls Who Used to Be Beginners
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by MomOfBeginners
From singing in a church choir where we sang a lot of music with Latin American influence, the switching back and forth between two threes and three twos (just like in West Side Story) happened quite often. Many of the Hispanic choir members did this really naturally.

Funny thing, I have no trouble doing it when playing or singing, but counting rests takes real effort.

gotta go practice
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Perhaps the problem lies with the actual test, and the idea of the test. I think I'd like to ask the reason for the test, and the context in which it is given. However, the original poster asked for feedback and has not written in once since then. I don't know if we can expect a response.

When I gave me first responses, I had already put it into a context. Often kids who do these kinds of tests also go on to write exams in a program. These programs, in turn, tend to present things in a typical way, making generalizations which you have to learn (and later know that all music doesn't go that way). They do have those categories, with 6/8 being compound time, with there being 2 beats per measure etc. If a student is going that route, then it's good to be careful not to mix them up. In question 4 any time signature could be used, and that is why I suggested another.

But if you're just creating a test to test knowledge, what is the purpose? Why not do this in the context of teaching the music the kids are learning? And why not, at least, have actual musical examples with notation, rather than a page of words? After all, the kids are working with music and learning to play music. And a student who might understand the written music very well, might be weaker in words and grammar.

keystring #2563626 08/16/16 12:33 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by keystring
Perhaps the problem lies with the actual test, and the idea of the test. I think I'd like to ask the reason for the test, and the context in which it is given. However, the original poster asked for feedback and has not written in once since then. I don't know if we can expect a response.

When I gave me first responses, I had already put it into a context. Often kids who do these kinds of tests also go on to write exams in a program. These programs, in turn, tend to present things in a typical way, making generalizations which you have to learn (and later know that all music doesn't go that way). They do have those categories, with 6/8 being compound time, with there being 2 beats per measure etc. If a student is going that route, then it's good to be careful not to mix them up. In question 4 any time signature could be used, and that is why I suggested another.

But if you're just creating a test to test knowledge, what is the purpose? Why not do this in the context of teaching the music the kids are learning? And why not, at least, have actual musical examples with notation, rather than a page of words? After all, the kids are working with music and learning to play music. And a student who might understand the written music very well, might be weaker in words and grammar.

Very good points. Often if you participate in exams, they do provide practice tests (at least the local MTNA ones I've had students do - not sure about the larger ones the OP mentioned). It's best to use their materials and wording in that case.

But if this is just for helping students learn, it's best to have a good theory book with lots of examples for practice, and introduce the concepts as they are encountered in their repertoire.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #2563634 08/16/16 12:54 PM
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Very good points. Often if you participate in exams, they do provide practice tests (at least the local MTNA ones I've had students do - not sure about the larger ones the OP mentioned). It's best to use their materials and wording in that case.

I think we're on the same page. smile

When I prepared for my theory exams way back when, we went through sample exams during a lesson or two, and he would point out what "they" want to see, and how they think. Occasionally I'd also be shown how musicians might perceive this or that differently, or in a more expanded way.
But if this is just for helping students learn, it's best to have a good theory book with lots of examples for practice, and introduce the concepts as they are encountered in their repertoire.

Excellent advice. I sometimes see people who have memorized theory on the one hand, and play music on the other, as if they were separate unconnected things.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Where is the OP?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission