2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
47 members (Abdol, Burkie, Danielares, anotherscott, djvu10, Beowulf, 36251, 10 invisible), 357 guests, and 466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Completely replacing keybed on a Roland
#2563218 08/14/16 07:56 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Hey guys,

I own 2 older keyboards, the first being a Kurzweil PCX1 and the second, a Roland RD-100. Let me begin by saying that I have no interest in either keyboards onboard sounds. I'm only interested in the keybed.

The Kurzweil has a defective logic board and the replacement part is not that cheap. May have other issues with it too but the keybed is in prefect condition.

The Roland is in great working condition, other than the keybed has grown old and is very loud.

Now, I believe the keybed in the Kurzweil is a Fatar TP/30 while the Roland is a Fatar TP/10.

Can the complete Kurzweil keybed be fitted, into the Roland? Once again, I'll be using the Roland as a midi controller.

I can easily contact a repair shop but interested in your opinion. Any advice and knowledge of, would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited by Christoph1960; 08/15/16 05:42 AM. Reason: My bad: It's the Fatar TP/30, not 40
Re: Completely replacing keybed on a Roland
Christoph1960 #2563231 08/14/16 09:45 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Fit? Maybe.
Work properly? Likely requires electrical re-design.
In short: no.

Christoph1960 #2563347 08/15/16 05:30 AM
C
OP Offline
C
I guess there would be some differences between the two. I understand the technical/electrical portion of it, being a TP/30 keybed. I'm curious so I may just open them up and see what's up.

Thanks for the feedback, MacMacMac.

Cheers!

Christoph1960 #2563430 08/15/16 04:02 PM
Assuming the Kurzweil keybed can be sufficiently fitted into the Roland case ( optimistic assumption) , how will a Roland logic board intended to interface with a TP10 function when attached to a TP30?

Soemetimes you must weigh the variables and just TITFO bearing in mind - how disappointed will you be if upon trying this experimental surgery the resultant patient sparks, smokes or is otherwise haywire?

If, despite the warn/thumpy key-bed, the Roland works .... is useable as is, perhaps you could sell it to somebody for nominal $ that you then apply to offset the cost of a replacement Kurzweil logic board.

- Kawai MP7 w/ MDR7506 phones and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
drewr #2563469 08/15/16 06:39 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by drewrst
Assuming the Kurzweil keybed can be sufficiently fitted into the Roland case ( optimistic assumption) , how will a Roland logic board intended to interface with a TP10 function when attached to a TP30?

Soemetimes you must weigh the variables and just TITFO bearing in mind - how disappointed will you be if upon trying this experimental surgery the resultant patient sparks, smokes or is otherwise haywire?

If, despite the warn/thumpy key-bed, the Roland works .... is useable as is, perhaps you could sell it to somebody for nominal $ that you then apply to offset the cost of a replacement Kurzweil logic board.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't even think of replacing the keybed without proper knowledge, if it can even be done smile

On the flip side, I could very well sell the Roland but I believe the Kurzweil may have other issues with it too not making it worth while to invest into. The logic board goes for about, on average 750, so if I sell the Roland for 350, give or take, I might as well invest the rest in a Roland FP-30, which will be about the same price as replacing the logic board. I'm not interested in any of the onboard sounds of any of them so basically dishing out $$ for a keybed.

Christoph1960 #2563480 08/15/16 07:17 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Christoph1960

Just to be clear, I wouldn't even think of replacing the keybed without proper knowledge, if it can even be done smile

Oh, too bad. I was hoping you might be the kind of person who would attempt this just to prove the nay sayers wrong. I was looking forward to pictures of a Frankenkeyboard all tricked out in duct tape and pop rivets.

[Linked Image]
SoundThumb #2563508 08/15/16 09:28 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by SoundThumb
Originally Posted by Christoph1960

Oh, too bad. I was hoping you might be the kind of person who would attempt this just to prove the nay sayers wrong. I was looking forward to pictures of a Frankenkeyboard all tricked out in duct tape and pop rivets.

Let me tell you, it's very tempting, lol. I have taken the keybed out of the Roland, a lot easier than I thought, and studying it. At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what causes the key loudness. It's like it's hitting a cardboard box when I hit the key but I still can't place what part of the key or hammer is actually making that noise.

Christoph1960 #2563513 08/15/16 09:47 PM
Is this the model of Kurzweil you have?
http://kurzweil.com/product/pc1x/downloads/

Looks like it was a nice product in its day but yeah, today, probably not worth investing $750 to revive.

I had an RD150 bought used back when ebay was a novelty and generally unknown to the masses..... it would still be another 16 years before I started beginners lessons 😱 after which it took only a few months to develop enough (mainly hearing) piano skills to realize it had been well used (beat?) when I bought it - the keybed was quite thumpy...... this may mean that even if you can find a gently used Rd100 keybed, it may be inherenly thumpy. Nonetheless I liked the sounds the 150 produced especially when playing /pounding stacatto fortissimo chords. It was fine for getting me started , ended up donating to Salvation Army within two months of beginning lessons.

Also, it looks like the question of replacing one Fatar model with another is not new.

Swapping Fatars http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1805831/%20Kurzweil%20PC88:%20Fatar%20key%20asse.html

I kinda favor SoundThumb's take on potentially creating a Frankensteinway sample, not modeled. Good luck!

Last edited by drewrst; 08/15/16 09:53 PM.

- Kawai MP7 w/ MDR7506 phones and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
drewr #2563518 08/15/16 10:23 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by drewrst
Is this the model of Kurzweil you have?
http://kurzweil.com/product/pc1x/downloads/

Looks like it was a nice product in its day but yeah, today, probably not worth investing $750 to revive.

I had an RD150 bought used back when ebay was a novelty and generally unknown to the masses..... it would still be another 16 years before I started beginners lessons 😱 after which it took only a few months to develop enough (mainly hearing) piano skills to realize it had been well used (beat?) when I bought it - the keybed was quite thumpy...... this may mean that even if you can find a gently used Rd100 keybed, it may be inherenly thumpy. Nonetheless I liked the sounds the 150 produced especially when playing /pounding stacatto fortissimo chords. It was fine for getting me started , ended up donating to Salvation Army within two months of beginning lessons.

Also, it looks like the question of replacing one Fatar model with another is not new.

Swapping Fatars http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1805831/%20Kurzweil%20PC88:%20Fatar%20key%20asse.html

I kinda favor SoundThumb's take on potentially creating a Frankensteinway sample, not modeled. Good luck!

Yes that's exactly the model and back in it's day, even now, it's a great keyboard (in my case a midi controller). I really like the TP/30 keybed that's in it. Not to light, not to heavy. I recently purchased a Privia PX160 and I really like it but the action may be a little heavy, for my taste.

As for the Roland, and it's all very subjective, what's loud for one may be fine to another. I just favor a nice low thump sound versus a "hitting a cardboard" effect I'm sure back in it's day, it wasn't like that but I'm trying to figure out what's actually causes that.. Now, the Kurzweil, has a nice keybed. Sort of in between the Roland and the Privia.

I appreciate the link.. Seems I must have missed that one. Although he's referring to the TP/40 and not the 30 so it may be quite different. I've not taken the Kurzweil apart yet.

Never say never.. I may just create the Frankensteinway at some point, lol.

Cheers!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recording your piano
by ZoeCalgary - 09/25/20 10:53 PM
Help deciding on a tablet for a new Yamaha CLP
by GreatShowmanChopin - 09/25/20 09:32 PM
Do most people like warm and soft tone?
by tony3304 - 09/25/20 09:09 PM
Has Rolands V Piano modelling improved in the last 10 years?
by MelodicRevengexX - 09/25/20 07:37 PM
Are you allowed to advertise here?
by Learux - 09/25/20 06:31 PM
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics201,823
Posts3,006,915
Members98,665
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission