Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Who's Online Now
70 registered members (astrotoy, Beemer, akc42, Brahms4, Alex Hutor, Animisha, 22 invisible), 1,352 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The $10K-$15K Grand Piano Buyer’s Dilemma [Re: dogperson] #2561457
08/06/16 03:22 PM
08/06/16 03:22 PM
In the mountains of NC
D
DrewBone Offline
DrewBone  Offline
D

In the mountains of NC
Hello dogperson.

Though I try to be specific, my replies are often misconstrued and they certainly weren't meant to imply that everyone bases their opinions on that written in books, or by status, but it does happen. I was simply relaying this observation and reality. It especially held true in my experience, after having played the higher tier pianos and not being impressed with them. After the publication(s) told me this one was better than that one and I found it to be otherwise, what am I supposed to do, shut up like a clam and bow to the almighty piano hierarchy and just accept the fact that I'm wrong in my opinion? I'm afraid not.

Fairness aside, when well respected 24 hour a day 7 days a week piano movers tell me that they more often move pianos for those who don't even play, it's hard to ignore the possibility that even more buyers purchase their pianos based not on what they prefer, but on what others think. Case in point, my high school friend who purchased an M&H. Though he had never played a piano in his life before purchasing this one, he proceeded to tell me with great authority how all Yamahas are too bright, all Schimmel's were too dark, all Baldwin's were garbage, etc. I was taken aback by his "revelation" and slowly began to question how he arrived at these facts and then started to inform him of his inaccuracies. Through further conversation it was revealed that these "facts" were in indeed parroted to him, as he had never even played any of the pianos he spoke of as being "inferior" to the M&H in his living room.

My ramblings aren't a matter of being fair, or politically correct, or otherwise. I produce my opinions based on observations and experiences, and if the aforementioned are found to be irritating then those individuals have my apologies, and I encourage them to ignore me and I promise I won't be upset in the least, unlike the disproportionate many here who seem especially thin skinned.

I'm more than happy for you that you've found a piano that you find to be exactly what you wanted! Bear in mind thought that to someone other than you that piano may have been a Baldwin, a Blüthner, a Kawai, a Schimmel, a Young Chang, or any other brand. So who's correct in their opinions, their observations, their decisions? Nobody' right if everybody's wrong.

As mentioned earlier, I'm not saying that M&H pianos are in some way inferior or of poor quality or suggest someone purchase something else, I am simply stating my dislike for them. >>>> Mine alone <<<< Why people are taking this as some kind of rip against M&H pianos appears to be some kind of issue with reading comprehension. I certainly reserve the right to disagree with any author of any written publication, world renounded rebuilder, or individual, because they don't tell me what I should like based on their opinions, I tell ME what I like based on MY opinions. End of report.

Can we please end this and give the thread back to the OP?

Regards,
Andy

1979 Yamaha C7D - Yamaha P115 - Korg MicroKORG synth. - Korg Kaossilator Pro synth.
Piano & Music Gifts & Accessories (570)
Piano accessories and music gift items
Re: The $10K-$15K Grand Piano Buyer’s Dilemma [Re: Narj] #2562308
08/10/16 11:06 PM
08/10/16 11:06 PM
Wisconsin, USA
L
Lakeviewsteve Offline
500 Post Club Member
Lakeviewsteve  Offline
500 Post Club Member
L

Wisconsin, USA
I wasn't Yamaha fan either, but since Yamaha owns Bösendorfer and hasn't ruined it I'm thrilled with Yamaha!

Steve
Bösendorfer 170

Bösendorfer 170
Re: The $10K-$15K Grand Piano Buyer’s Dilemma [Re: JazzyJamMan] #2562594
08/12/16 07:37 AM
08/12/16 07:37 AM
Italy
sinophilia Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
sinophilia  Offline

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014

Italy
Well I am a Yamaha fan, I'm completely in love with brightness and clarity (not harshness though, that's a different thing). Also, with my budget and playing (in)ability, it wouldn't make sense to dream of a Steinway or a Grotrian or whatever. So I'm quite sure of the grand piano I will buy when the time comes: a second-hand C3 or C5. It won't be hard to find one nearby, and it won't require months or years of trying this and that. It will be placed in a 12'x21' room with a 12' ceiling, so I'm really hoping to find a good bargain on a C5, but we'll see.

By now I'd like to see pictures of your Yamaha piano, and keep dreaming of that moment!

Diana & Wally - Yamaha W110BW
To create a beautiful sound, one must imagine it at first and then learn to produce fluid physical motions that breathe life into music. (Shirley Kirsten)
http://soundcloud.com/sinophilia - http://youtube.com/sinophilia
Re: The $10K-$15K Grand Piano Buyer’s Dilemma [Re: JazzyJamMan] #2565448
08/23/16 07:20 PM
08/23/16 07:20 PM
C
CoolJL Offline
CoolJL  Offline
C

I'm assuming you're in USA, but in UK you could buy a fully restored/rebuilt C. Bechsteins for about 15k, if you look around. They are about 100 years old but restorers practically change everything and repair all the problems. Good restorers will use best available parts and try to keep it as closed to original specs a possible, so these become almost as good as new. I don't know how common these used old Bechsteins are in US, but they are great value for money. Also restored old Bluthners can be found at similar prices.

Last edited by CoolJL; 08/23/16 07:30 PM.
Re: The $10K-$15K Grand Piano Buyer’s Dilemma [Re: JazzyJamMan] #2565477
08/23/16 08:42 PM
08/23/16 08:42 PM
🎹
Retsacnal Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
Retsacnal  Offline

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015

🎹
my piano tech said that he didn't trust these pianos

I'm always skeptical of generic criticism like this. What does it really mean? Will the piano sneak into the owner's bedroom in the middle of the night, and smother them with a pillow? What I've found in my industry, when someone doesn't "trust" a new tool, technology or design approach, it means they're either selling something else, or they're too lazy or incapable of learning something new.

"If it sounds good, it is good." - Duke Ellington
P E R F O R M A N C E over p r o v e n a n c e

Re: The $10K-$15K Grand Piano Buyer’s Dilemma [Re: Retsacnal] #2565516
08/23/16 11:10 PM
08/23/16 11:10 PM
*sigh* Salt Lake City
malkin Offline
5000 Post Club Member
malkin  Offline
5000 Post Club Member

*sigh* Salt Lake City
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
my piano tech said that he didn't trust these pianos

...Will the piano sneak into the owner's bedroom in the middle of the night, and smother them with a pillow?

What a thought!! I have never appreciated my narrow staircase more!

Learner
Re: The $10K-$15K Grand Piano Buyer’s Dilemma [Re: JazzyJamMan] #2565676
08/24/16 01:47 PM
08/24/16 01:47 PM
CO
J
JazzyJamMan Offline OP
JazzyJamMan  Offline OP
J

CO
Malkin, Retsacnal, and Norbert:

I was paraphrasing my tech's comments on the Ritmuller. In general, he felt that the known build quality of even a used Yamaha C was perhaps a better bet than a piano that's ultimately made by Pearl River.

All that aside, and now that I have my piano, I'm certain that I'd have been just as happy with the Ritmuller. I still would recommend that anyone looking for used C3 also check out a new GH170.

In the end, I found a piano that I really liked for a few thousand less than a brand new Ritmuller. But I don't think I would have gone wrong in either case.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions Regularly sold for $79 to $100, now only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Bechstein
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Steinway O Chladni Figure
by Chernobieff Piano. 06/16/19 12:55 AM
Who is the better pianist?
by AssociateX. 06/15/19 10:41 PM
VALDESTA GX-5 - one key not working
by heimtun. 06/15/19 01:15 PM
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics192,538
Posts2,838,251
Members93,618
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2019 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission