This is more of a general ramble...maybe something will resonate with some of you.

Since I was a teenager I've enjoyed listening to music. But I didn't realize how much I liked it (and still do) until many years later. I started by listening to the pop music that was popular in the 80's, followed by rock/alternative, and some classic rock. It wasn't until the last couple of years that I've explored (exploded!) more genres, and some of this has to do with taking up the piano.

Between the ages of 17-38 I went to about 5 concerts. In the last 3 years I've been to 20+ (with more scheduled, including the Tragically Hip :( :))

I still actively listen to the following genres: 80's (you know, the one-hit wonders...and great soundtracks from movies like Grosse Point Blank, etc.), classic rock (Zeppelin, Queen, Fleetwood Mac) rock from the 1990's and early 2000's (Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Black Crowes). In the past few years I have dabbled further into classic rock, while adding jazz, classical, blues...and I still listen to the current 'alternative' music that's on certain radio stations. My 16gb phone is running out of space, and I'm currently thinking about solving this problem.

I always had a stereo (tape, then CD), and walkmans (tape, CD, mini-disk, iPod and then an iPhone). My favorite method of listening is via headphones, followed by my car. Lately, I love going on long walks while listening to music. I also like reading while listening to mellow jazz (Scandinavian jazz) and classical (Chopin's nocturnes).

I'm currently looking into getting better headphones (I have some Bose closed headphones I got on 50% off for $120ish), and I'm exploring high definition audio (trying to see if it's worth it). I have a wife and daughter who don't appreciate loud music, so I'm not much into stereo's at the moment. I've also read about headphone amp's...

I feel like I'm just scratching the surface with respect to music. I've only been at the piano for a year, so the journey has just started. My equipment is not expensive, so more $ can be spent (wisely ;)). I can spend more time listening (like, actively listening...now that I have a better understanding of music theory, including melody, harmony, etc.).

I can go on...but I'll pause for now