2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2558832 07/26/16 10:23 AM
B
Bolster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
My friend is gonna deal on a dgx 630.. I myself have a piano and he is into it as well..

The dgx 630 is 300 dollars,with a semi broken lcd screen.. Thats all the defect it has.. Otherwise its all perfect

Its about 4 years old .

Here in singapore at least,we cant rly find other pianos at 300,but at 500 we find used ones that arent defective.. Closest i can find is smt like a ydp 121 for 300?

A korg sp170dx for 600,same for px320 and cdp100-120 for 400-500

Px100-120 from 450-500..

No p85 sadly..

He just need nice keys and a decent sound.. Tbh he really just care about keys like alot haha

So what should we do.. Should we go for it? Hammer the decision or wait on abit? He can wait on like 2 months till he save up for smt around the 400-600 range.. But he is self learning from 0

If we can have more info on why we should choose this piano or that piano,itll be good,will help alot on my friends decision making.. But to use simple english im just gonna say he wants to play acoustic in the future at a professional/semi pro level?

Last edited by Bolster; 07/26/16 10:25 AM.
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Well, if you're going to buy something that is defective, and that same money can go toward something similar that is not defective, definitely go with what's actually working. Who knows how poorly the instrument was treated?

The ydp-121 is actually a good deal if it's not broken at all. It's old, but Yamahas are reliable. That would be wroth checking out, and if you can play it for your friend since he's not a pianist yet, you can give feedback on what feels the best.

I'd also check out the PX-320, but not the PX-100 or 120 at that price. Those should be around 300, IMO. Of course, you could go check them out and offer 300 cash on the spot and see if they'll take it. The Korg I wouldn't really bother with. I own one, but I paid $50USD IIRC.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
Bolster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
By checking the dgx 630 on site will it do?

Any vids/guides on checking it haha.. Itll be helpful

B
Bolster Offline OP
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted by Morodiene
Well, if you're going to buy something that is defective, and that same money can go toward something similar that is not defective, definitely go with what's actually working. Who knows how poorly the instrument was treated?

The ydp-121 is actually a good deal if it's not broken at all. It's old, but Yamahas are reliable. That would be wroth checking out, and if you can play it for your friend since he's not a pianist yet, you can give feedback on what feels the best.

I'd also check out the PX-320, but not the PX-100 or 120 at that price. Those should be around 300, IMO. Of course, you could go check them out and offer 300 cash on the spot and see if they'll take it. The Korg I wouldn't really bother with. I own one, but I paid $50USD IIRC.

A wild korg sp200 appeared too for like 250

M
M
Originally Posted by Bolster

It's just not that great of a brand for DPs, especially the older models. Perhaps newer ones have improved, but if your friend is spending the money, he'll need something that is known to be good. Thus why I don't recommend getting the defective DGX either.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
Bolster Offline OP
OP Offline
B

It's just not that great of a brand for DPs, especially the older models. Perhaps newer ones have improved, but if your friend is spending the money, he'll need something that is known to be good. Thus why I don't recommend getting the defective DGX either.

Well am hoping to hear from the ydp dude soon.. But no reply for awhile.. Sadly

Btw,which digital pianos generally have the best key action for the budget range?

Last edited by Bolster; 07/26/16 01:23 PM.
T
T
I want to chime in with something. When buying any musical instrument with the intention to play and learn it, remember it's something you will be spending quite a bit of time using, probably daily, but at least for a number of hours a week, and hopefully over a number of years. With that in mind I think choosing the right one and best you can afford makes more sense than trying to find the best deal.

Edit: I do understand sometimes you need to make due with a very limited budget and work with what you find (I certainly had to when I was younger), however.

Last edited by Tim P; 07/26/16 01:36 PM.
M
M

Btw,which digital pianos generally have the best key action for the budget range?

I live in the US, so what goes for 300 in your area is very different than here. Basically, if you stick with Casio, Yamaha, Kawai, and Roland, chances are you'll get a very good product all else being equal (price and condition).

Having said that, Casios tend to be the best bet in the sub-$1k range. I recommended the PX-320 because the PX-100 and -120 are both the base models, whereas the 320 has more features. So for the same price, it makes sense to go with the higher-end DP. I wouldn't even consider the -100 except as a last resort, since the action isn't as good as the x20 models. The -x00 models were first introduced in 2004 I believe, whereas the x20 models were in 2008. So go with the higher number smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
Bolster Offline OP
OP Offline
B

I live in the US, so what goes for 300 in your area is very different than here. Basically, if you stick with Casio, Yamaha, Kawai, and Roland, chances are you'll get a very good product all else being equal (price and condition).

Having said that, Casios tend to be the best bet in the sub-$1k range. I recommended the PX-320 because the PX-100 and -120 are both the base models, whereas the 320 has more features. So for the same price, it makes sense to go with the higher-end DP. I wouldn't even consider the -100 except as a last resort, since the action isn't as good as the x20 models. The -x00 models were first introduced in 2004 I believe, whereas the x20 models were in 2008. So go with the higher number smile

The guy selling the ydp aint replying.. Im currently looking for good velocity sensitivity, and weight and an ok sound .. Which im nt sure whether Casio or yamaha wins this.. But yamaha drum velocity.. Is.. Very bad compared to Roland haha

300sgd is abt 215USD

This dgx 630 comes with the pedal and stand though no chair.. Factored cost of the sit which will be roughly 30usd/40sgd.

Not sure why the guy selling the ydp 121 isnt replying.. I dont hope to spend more than 400 on any digital piano, and my best bet of weighted ones left are cdp1xx. Px120

So should i go for it or should i wait out a little, i won't mind waiting out a little.. Im gonna test the 630 in the weekend.. Gonna test if theres sticky keys.. Bad sound velocity etc..

I do see px150s and p85 coming out for 300 sgd.. But instantly their gone.. Like literally 5mins ago post on a px150,i offered in app and can't even get a reply

*sold* ==

Honestly im semi busy now and i will only be improving super fast in nov-dec.. Currently already performing drums here and there in band and school.. I wouldn't be complacent abt myself but im just certain i learn abit faster?

Anyways,what do you guys think? Is the deal good enough (dgx 630.. Unless the YDP seller finally ever replies), good enough that i shouldn't wait on? Or should i wait on?

By nov i plan to get smt else for drums already tbh...

Last edited by Bolster; 07/28/16 08:24 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission