2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
59 members (CyberGene, danielp11, clothearednincompo, Animisha, anotherscott, BachToTheFuture, Beowulf, Balcon, 15 invisible), 523 guests, and 404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
DGX 660 or Kawai ES 100 for Classical?
#2550461 06/19/16 07:34 AM
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello everyone. Does anyone here have any experience with the Yamaha DGX660 and/or Kawai ES100? I read some very good and some very bad things at the same time. I want a piano to use for practicing classical music, so the action is very important to me.

I read the Kawai ES100 was a much better keyboard for classical in terms of action even though the sound from the internal speakers might be worse due to the size.

However, I was looking for something like the Yamaha DGX660 in terms of overall features. The DGX would give me the ability to easily record and has a lot of good sounds and styles I can go into when I'm in need of something other than classical.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'll probably end up with the DGX660 just because of the action and the sound that seems slightly more realistic.

I mostly played on crappy acoustic pianos so anything is a step up but I want a more realistic action. I won't have the option to try either of them as I have to order online.

[Linked Image]
Recitals:[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: DGX 660 or Kawai ES 100 for Classical?
Teodor #2550468 06/19/16 09:04 AM
L
Lam Offline
L
Have a look at the Roland FP30, it is in the same price range. Good piano sound and action (new PHA IV standard action with escapement).

Last edited by lamadoo; 06/19/16 09:07 AM.
Teodor #2550628 06/19/16 10:49 PM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Teodor,

Originally Posted by Teodor
I want a piano to use for practicing classical music, so the action is very important to me.

May I ask, what is your maximum budget?

I read the Kawai ES100 was a much better keyboard for classical in terms of action

Well, action quality is highly subjective. However, the ES100's action was previously used in a number of highly regarded instruments, including the ES6.

...the sound from the internal speakers might be worse due to the size.

The ES100's speakers are not incredibly powerful, but they do a good job of delivering the instrument's built-in sounds.

However, I was looking for something like the Yamaha DGX660 in terms of overall features. The DGX would give me the ability to easily record and has a lot of good sounds and styles I can go into when I'm in need of something other than classical.

The DGX-660 has an abundance of features, however if your principle requirement is to practise classical music, the Yamaha P-115 features the same keyboard action and piano sound at a lower price.

Any ideas or suggestions? I'll probably end up with the DGX660 just because of the action and the sound that seems slightly more realistic.

May I ask why you believe the action and sound to be 'slight more realistic'?

I mostly played on crappy acoustic pianos so anything is a step up but I want a more realistic action.

If you are seeking an entry-level instrument without good keyboard action and piano sounds, along with the ES100 and P115, I would also consider the Roland FP-30 and Casio PX-160.

I won't have the option to try either of them as I have to order online.

That's unfortunate - play-testing an instrument before buying is strongly recommended, wherever possible.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

"I agree that the User Manual is very good." - arc7urus, March 2019
Kawai James #2550701 06/20/16 07:01 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The dgxs great strength is ease of recording multi track stuff. If you fancy doing this like I did, its enormous fun and the different instruments can be adjusted for vol and reverb etc before storing in an easily retrievable memory bank.

The keyboard IMO is OK for classical up to a certain standard, but there are better and, if classical is your thing, I d look elsewhere. Having had the DGX650 and previous incarnations I've had no complaints concerning it's versatility.

The ES100 has a good sound, but you really need to try these out somehow.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Teodor #2552594 06/28/16 03:17 AM
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hello all,
Thank you for the wonderful advice shared here.

I had a wonderful experience yesterday. I wandered into a music store in my city because I saw a box with a Kawai upright outside that they were getting ready to ship somewhere.

I've been to this store 3 times and never noticed but all they sell is Kawai pianos. I got all the official brochures and the 2016 production catalogue.

I also got to try ES8 and WOW this is a great piano which is slightly more expensive but I think I will go with that because it felt great. I played it for about 30 mins. I can't believe there is a Kawai store here. I was going to order online but the price in the store is only slightly higher and I won't have to wait a month for delivery.

Now I only have to decide if I want it in black or white.

[Linked Image]
Teodor #2552597 06/28/16 03:23 AM
Teodor, that's good to hear.

My apologies for not querying where you are based - I might have been able to point you towards that store a little earlier. wink

Cheers,
James
x

Teodor #2553981 07/04/16 07:59 AM
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Hi James,
I stumbled upon an add for used CN35 that has supposedly not been played much yet. The person is having trouble selling it in Bulgaria and I've watched the offer price drop to 50% of market price and still nobody wants it. The seller messaged me to let me know he reduced the price further, so he looks desperate at this point to sell it to someone.

I'm thinking of going over to his place and playing it to see how it feels.

Could you elaborate a bit on this if you have experience with both CN35 and ES8. Is the main difference portability or are there any advantages/disadvantages of having a CN35 and not ES8 or the other way around?

I got a Yamaha P105 from a friend so I have a temporary piano (very nice for the price and portability but relatively bad key action compared to the Kawai in question, so I'd love to finally get my own instrument by the end of the month.

Cheers,
Teo

Last edited by Teodor; 07/04/16 08:01 AM.

[Linked Image]
Teodor #2554116 07/04/16 06:18 PM
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Kawai all the way... The best digital piano key action company miles ahead!... Cheers!.

Teodor #2554117 07/04/16 06:29 PM
If that CN35 is in excellent condition, I'd jump on it if I were you. I tried one this weekend, and it was simply wonderful to play with a great action, great acoustic piano sounds, great vintage EP sounds, and easy to use. I've not played an ES100, but I I believe that the CN35 beats it in all ways.

Keys: Yamaha GC2, Casio Privia PX-3, Roland RD800, Alesis VI61, Pianoteq 6.0
My motto: Play and Let Play!
Teodor #2554148 07/04/16 08:24 PM
Hello Teodor,

Could you elaborate a bit on this if you have experience with both CN35 and ES8. Is the main difference portability or are there any advantages/disadvantages of having a CN35 and not ES8 or the other way around?

Aside from the obvious form factor and speaker system differences, the two instruments utilise different tone generators: HI-XL for the ES8, and PHI for the CN35 (thus closer to the ES7 sound). PHI still delivers a very realistic, expressive sound, however HI-XL requires a larger amount of sample memory and is therefore more detailed. In addition, the ES8 also features the latest Shigeru Kawai SK-EX and SK-5 piano sounds, and Rhythm Section accompaniment feature, but lacks the built-in Lesson songs of the CN35. Finally, the ES8 allows greater control over the amp/speaker modelling applied to electric piano/organ sounds - something that cannot be adjusted on the CN35. Both models feature the same 'Responsive Hammer III' (RHIII) keyboard action, with counterweights embedded within all 88 keys.

For a side-by-side comparison of the two instruments, please check this link.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Teodor #2554541 07/06/16 10:01 AM
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thank you James. I'll think about it. I'll probably still go with the ES8 since I prefer to have a brand new piano with warranty and the other one is not really portable, so I don't think it will fit into my lifestyle. I keep moving every year.

[Linked Image]
Teodor #2558756 07/26/16 02:21 AM
Teodor Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I ended up buying an ES100 in the end. ES8 is amazing for the price, however, I wanted to also make room in my budget for buying my first car (something cheap but durable) and by getting ES100 I essentially saved about half the money needed for that venture smile

After trying out the ES8 the ES100 will get some getting used to because it's not as good but compared to other similar keyaboards in this range I have tried it's actually good. However it feels a bit jumpy and uneven but that's probably just my technique, I haven't played much in the past year, I haven't touched an acoustic either, so I can't compare. The feeling of playing and feeling the bottom of the keybed is not there which was not the case with ES8.

I'll just have to do with ES100 for now and eventually upgrade to ES8 or something else once I improve enough. I've got a piano exam to take to graduate and get my Bachelor's and this should do nicely.

I also got a really cool piano bench and headphones. Some pictures below. I ordered the designer stand and pedals but those will come later as they need to be delivered from Germany.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Teodor #2558758 07/26/16 02:56 AM
Congrats Teodor!

Best of luck with your studies.

Cheers,
James
x

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Counting sixteenth notes
by Prestzie - 10/24/20 02:09 PM
Best D Piano/Controller under 600 US Dollars.
by RudessJR - 10/24/20 01:13 PM
Wrist/forearm rotation
by treefrog - 10/24/20 12:31 PM
Kawai Grand Piano 5’10 - asking $7,000
by Anna B. - 10/24/20 12:00 PM
Used Yamaha vs brand new Kawai?
by danlightbulb - 10/24/20 08:52 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,382
Posts3,016,661
Members99,006
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission